Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Paddy Kenny

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Paddy Kenny

From the Irish Times. (No link as its a subscription website)
    Time to stop blaming Kenny for other players' shortcomings

EMMET MALONE ON SOCCER: Paddy Kenny got a raw deal under Steve Staunton and, with the lack of any real quality to back up Shay Given, deserves another chance in the new set-up

WITH LIAM BRADY having declined to provide even the most rudimentary of assessments to the media of Georgia on the night they played in Belfast lest he encroach on Giovanni Trapattoni's territory, it's not entirely clear what we might learn at this afternoon's press conference out at Abbotstown.

Both Brady and Marco Tardelli are due to attend but it seems likely we will have to wait for the manager himself to touch down in early May before we are provided with any sense of how the squad-evaluation process is shaping up under the two assistants.

That the pair will be in Dublin just after lunchtime suggests neither will be in Sheffield this evening for the 120th Steel City derby.

The two men could probably do without a midweek trip to Bramall Lane but there seems little question they will have to have run the rule over the home side's goalkeeper, Paddy Kenny, once or twice before Trap arrives in town.

Providing back-up to Shay Given has not always looked the most enticing of roles for an established goalkeeper.

Dean Kiely tired of the job having observed that his one-liner about being ready to do a job in midfield for Mick McCarthy was the only contribution to Ireland's campaign in Japan and South Korea for which he would be remembered.

Things weren't helped, it seems, by the fact that Given, who was almost always fit in those days, didn't particularly appreciate being rested for friendly games, and it was hard to blame Kiely when he eventually decided enough was enough.

As it happened, the form shown by Kenny around the same time softened the blow somewhat and his first few appearances, mainly as a substitute and always in friendlies, went well enough.

By 2006, though, Given's fitness could no longer be taken for granted and Kenny's two appearances that year were in the games against the Netherlands and Cyprus in which, remarkably, he conceded a total of nine goals.

In truth, though the then 28-year-old did not play well in either game, neither did he do a huge amount wrong.

His lack of conviction when coming for a cross 10 minutes into the Nicosia game pretty much handed Alexandros Garpozis the goal that gave the Cypriots a 2-1 lead, but otherwise his performances were not characterised by actual mistakes, merely by the repeated failure to avail of the opportunity to make good saves.

And with defensive mayhem reigning just in front of him on both occasions it seemed harsh to single Kenny out for blame, but that's more or less what Steve Staunton appeared to do. Kenny, Clinton Morrison and Andy O'Brien carried the can for the 5-2 defeat - none of the three has played for the Republic since - when the reality is that poor team selections and tactics, indecision in the dugout and the poor performances of countless other players all contributed to two of the most embarrassing defeats in the team's history.

Kenny could easily have been forgiven if his confidence had been shattered by the experience, but a week after the 5-2 international drubbing he played for United at Anfield and made a couple of really fine saves in a 1-1 draw - the home side's goal coming from a Robbie Fowler penalty after Chris Morgan was reckoned to have brought down Steven Gerrard.

Around this time Kenny's personal life was also imploding, his wife of two years, Karen, leaving him for one of his best friends before the admission by another friend, while on a drunken night out in Halifax, that he too had had a relationship with her led to a brawl in which the footballer had most of one eyebrow bitten off.

His hurt and humiliation must have been compounded on a weekly basis by the chants of opposing fans who persistently needled him about his wife's infidelities. But Kenny soldiered on, generally playing well and keeping nearly a dozen clean sheets as United went narrowly and controversially down.

This year he has continued in much the same vein. United are firmly planted in mid-table but the cause of the team's failure to mount a serious challenge for an immediate return to the top flight is at the other end of the pitch.

Only one side in the division has conceded fewer goals but only three have scored fewer, leaving manager Kevin Blackwell in little doubt as to the value of his goalkeeper's contribution.

"Since I've been at the club he's been outstanding," he says. "He has all the equipment needed to be a quality goalkeeper. He's got good feet, terrific hands, he's a great shot stopper and he possesses bundles of confidence.

"He's very proud of his Irish roots but I don't think anybody would argue about Shay's status as top man for Ireland. For me, though, Paddy's been the best goalkeeper in the Championship this year by a mile and I would have thought that merited a place in the squad."

Staunton thought otherwise, with Wayne Henderson handed the job of covering for Given after Cyprus while Nicky Colgan, Colin Doyle and Joe Murphy all moved above the former Whitby Town and Bury man in the pecking order.

Henderson had done all right in the circumstances but prior to picking up a back injury that effectively ended his season in August, his lack of height probably cost Ireland a goal against the Czechs four days after Nicosia, while his lack of experience helped San Marino come close to achieving a draw against the Republic in February 2007.

Doyle, meanwhile, has paid for a couple of poor early-season performances in the Premier League with Birmingham City while Colgan, now at Ipswich Town, has seen little action in the past couple of seasons and Murphy looks set to be playing in League One with Scunthorpe next season.

His occasional mishaps, such as the one against Middlesbrough in the cup back in February, remind us that Kenny is certainly human, but he deserves better than to keep paying a disproportionate price for the collective shortcomings displayed by the Irish more than a year and a half ago.
    In Trap we trust

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    I also think he has been playing well enough to be given a second chance......just hope he is more alert ( and lucky ) the next time he appears for The Boys in Green

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=NG9y64...eature=related
    Tact is for people who are not witty enough to be sarcastic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Well we've noone else at the moment so I'd be happy to see him back
    "Well I think they'll be a little disappointed with that" - Matt Holland on TV3 after 5-2 drubbing by Cyprus

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    Thanks be to God a journalist ( and no surprise which one) has written a fair and balanced article about Paddy Kenny. He is the only established keeper we have plying his trade at a high level as an alternative to Shay and he merits being considered our 2nd choice.
    Here they come! It’s the charge of the “Thanks” Brigade!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    It's good to see him get some deserved praise. He was poor against Holland and Cyprus but he was unfairly targeted as one of the fall guys when there are people who seemingly took none of the blame and were a lot worse than him. For all his faults he's still by far our second best keeper from what I've seen.
    My concerns are global. I reject absolutely revenge, aggression, and retaliation. The foundation of such a method, is love. I love you Sheriff Truman.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Along with Andy O'Brien he was treated appalingly after the Cyprus debacle by that excuse of a manager we had. Both deserved better. Simply put we were ba from 1 to 11 that night but those 2 were made scapegoats. Welcome back Paddy

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    214 Posts
    Didn't he pull out of squads because of 'marriage/personal problems'? He was ok to keep on playing for his club but not turn up for international duty (same as S Ireland at Man City)? I thought that was why Stan banished him?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    I think you'll find Stan banished him and alluded to those problems before it all became public.

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    848 Posts
    I know we dont have alot of options there so its good that hes in the squad, but he is not a viable long term option in my opinion. Yes he did get a raw deal under Staunton when the likes of Colgan were in the squad ahead of him but I really dont think he is a very good keeper. His biggest problem from what I have seen of him is his comunication, or lack there of. He doesnt seem to ever organise the defense in front of him(or never when he has played for us anyway).
    He was in goal for our hammering by Holland in that friendly too and even though it was a terrible team performance I thought that night that the communication between goalkeeper and defense was shocking and I thought the same in the Cyprus game. Yes he was exposed by the tactics in that game and he shouldnt have been made a scapegoat but his performance in Nicossia was apalling
    Its really not that complicated!!!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Razors left peg View Post
    I know we dont have alot of options there so its good that hes in the squad, but he is not a viable long term option in my opinion. Yes he did get a raw deal under Staunton when the likes of Colgan were in the squad ahead of him but I really dont think he is a very good keeper. His biggest problem from what I have seen of him is his comunication, or lack there of. He doesnt seem to ever organise the defense in front of him(or never when he has played for us anyway).
    He was in goal for our hammering by Holland in that friendly too and even though it was a terrible team performance I thought that night that the communication between goalkeeper and defense was shocking and I thought the same in the Cyprus game. Yes he was exposed by the tactics in that game and he shouldnt have been made a scapegoat but his performance in Nicossia was apalling
    I disagree, he's been outstanding for Sheffield United (did well in the EPL lat year in a poor side) over the years and much as he was poor against Cyrpus I wouldn't be close to blaming him for all teh golas that night, the whole team were poison. He's a decent number 2 to have and with Murphy's career stalling at Birmingham definitely our best back up option.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Drumcondra 69er View Post
    I disagree, he's been outstanding for Sheffield United (did well in the EPL lat year in a poor side) over the years and much as he was poor against Cyrpus I wouldn't be close to blaming him for all teh golas that night, the whole team were poison. He's a decent number 2 to have and with Murphy's career stalling at Birmingham definitely our best back up option.
    Its Colin Doyle's career thats stalling while Joe Murphys is going through the trap door with the Irons.

Also, he wasn't a complete flop against Cyprus, he made some great saves in that game, he really did. He made a blunder on the cross thats about it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shakermaker1982 View Post
    Didn't he pull out of squads because of 'marriage/personal problems'? He was ok to keep on playing for his club but not turn up for international duty (same as S Ireland at Man City)? I thought that was why Stan banished him?
    thats what i heard from a good source

faked an injury to miss the Czech game

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    He's a decent keeper and there should be a clean slate for everybody under Trap. Not in Given' league really and I hope that by the time Shay goes, we have a better keeper than Kenny coming though but on current form he deserves to be first choice. Pity Doyle hasnt progressed this season as we might have hoped.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Kenny looked a bit too eager and nervy when playing for us.
    I don't know if it would make much difference but I'd use him for most of the 2 friendlies.
    And put Shay's collection on temporary hold.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Shay looks to be out for the rest of the season.
    Good news then For Paddy Kenny, he should get plenty of game time in the next 2 friendlies.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    48 Posts
    Looks like Paddy Kenny is facing a minimum ban of 6 months having failed a drugs test (possibly from some over-the-counter medicine). More details here:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2...nny-drugs-test

Formerly: vega007 Colbert Report's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    162 Posts
    See you later Paddy Kenny. Thanks for coming out. You're a millionaire football player, is it that hard to watch what drugs you put into your body?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts
    He has never struck me as the brightest of individuals but I wouldn't condemn him as a cheat just yet. It seems it was an OTC medicine which contained some banned substances. Lets wait and see what happens.
    Last edited by drummerboy; 07/07/2009 at 8:10 AM.
    Always look on the bright side of life

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    244 Posts
    Obviously it's important that you be aware of all banned substances as a professional athlete, but mistakes do happen.

If it was a genuine mistake on his part, hopefully he just gets a warning and maybe a fine.

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    779 Posts
    Paddy isn't a bad keeper. He's not international standard but then neither is any of our second choices. He's also good at picking the ball out of the net in Sheffield derbies

Probably banned because he was taking a hair growth restorer!
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast