Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Republic of Ireland vs England - Friendly

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    85 Posts

Republic of Ireland vs England - Friendly

We have an Italian coach, they have an italian coach..........its been 13 years..............

Would you object? Would you go? Would you want it?

Let me know your feelings
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist thinks it will change; the realist adjusts the sails.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Of course. Who wouldn't? Never got a refund for my 2 pound ticket the last time. Does the ticket stub from that game still grant you free entry?
    Pull my finger!!!

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Deckydee View Post
    We have an Italian coach, they have an italian coach..........its been 13 years..............

Would you object? Would you go? Would you want it?

Let me know your feelings

No problems if its policed correctly or if its in London...

I would be more concerned with trouble around town rather than at the game.. as the anti-social problems in Dublin at night are out of control and it would give our local scum and excuse for a brawl.... Love Ulster march ring a bell

Bet Charlie Bird will stay home this time

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Deckydee View Post

Would you object?Yes Would you go?No Would you want it?No
    Don't see the point in giving the Scum another chance to wreck our stadiums for a meaningless friendly. If it was a competitive game I'd be all for it but not for a friendly

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    85 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Block G Raptor View Post
    Don't see the point in giving the Scum another chance to wreck our stadiums for a meaningless friendly. If it was a competitive game I'd be all for it but not for a friendly
    Bit harsh there Raptor, no?
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist thinks it will change; the realist adjusts the sails.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,339 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Block G Raptor View Post
    If it was a competitive game, it would mean we were drawn in the same group at random, whether you'd be all for it not would be irrelevant!
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    I would take it as I would love another chance to put one over on them , remember it was 1987 since the last time they beat us ( i think ) .
    London or Dublin would be fine with me .

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Claret Murph View Post
    I would take it as I would love another chance to put one over on them , remember it was 1987 since the last time they beat us ( i think ) .
    London or Dublin would be fine with me .

1985 - 2-1 in Wembley

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    If it was a competitive game, it would mean we were drawn in the same group at random, whether you'd be all for it not would be irrelevant!
    I'd love us to play them as much as anyone and if we were to be drawn with them competitively then as you point out we'd have no choice. Don't see the point of inviting them over here for a friendly in the hope that they won't go on a rampage

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Shedender81 View Post
    No problems if its policed correctly or if its in London...

I would be more concerned with trouble around town rather than at the game.. as the anti-social problems in Dublin at night are out of control and it would give our local scum and excuse for a brawl.... Love Ulster march ring a bell

Bet Charlie Bird will stay home this time
    Yes because its the Irish hooligans that are the real problem.
    I think I should the parachute, because I'm great.

In fact, I think I should get both parachutes, in case one doesn't work.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    the most recent panorama on english yobs (type panorama/hooligans into youtube to view) activites in wc2006 shows a new culture of yob behaviour by england fans at away games. the bigwig hooligans are blacklisted but the type of scum that wreck their own towns and cities at weekend nights are increasingly travelling to away england games.

they are not the type to rip up seats at a stadium but exactly the type to just cause drunken havoc in town.

I wouldnt want us to ever play england again unless it was competetive.
    I

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by as_i_say View Post
    the most recent panorama on english yobs (type panorama/hooligans into youtube to view) activites in wc2006 shows a new culture of yob behaviour by england fans at away games. the bigwig hooligans are blacklisted but the type of scum that wreck their own towns and cities at weekend nights are increasingly travelling to away england games.

they are not the type to rip up seats at a stadium but exactly the type to just cause drunken havoc in town.

I wouldnt want us to ever play england again unless it was competetive.
    Exactly. you wouldn't do up your house and then invite the local schooligans to the house warming would you

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    I wouldn't like us to play them at home as I reckon with the history of Croke Park that their yob element would travel in force. Of course I'd still go. I'd much prefer however, if we were to play them in a friendly, that it be away from home. Again I'd go.

Like Ciaran said though, at the moment it would serve us better to play a couple of away games in Eastern Europe. The Serbia game, while a home fixture, is certainly a good exercise for us.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts
    Agree, no way at Croker... you're definitely asking for trouble, especially since we havent played them since that riot. If it was in England, maybe.
    "A silent mouth is sweet to hear"

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    877 Posts
    There is absolutely no value in it at all. Unnessary policing hassles and as has been said they would target Croker because of the history of the place.
    I am in favour of the Celtic Cup though. They would still basically be friendlies but with something to play for it would be a good place to blood players and work on team tactics in a semi compeditive enviroment rather than some of the crap friendlies we get
    Its really not that complicated!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    As long as their "fans" are'nt given any tickets I dont see any problem

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Torn-Ado View Post
    Yes because its the Irish hooligans that are the real problem.
    Well over the last few years we are starting to see some issues at ireland games

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Razors left peg View Post
    There is absolutely no value in it at all. Unnessary policing hassles and as has been said they would target Croker because of the history of the place.
    I am in favour of the Celtic Cup though. They would still basically be friendlies but with something to play for it would be a good place to blood players and work on team tactics in a semi compeditive enviroment rather than some of the crap friendlies we get

Completely agree, more hassle than it's worth.

If a Celtic Cup was every 2 years (or longer), say in the year after the World Cup then it could be worthwhile, there would be a danger of it going very stale very quickly otherwise.
    "Well I think they'll be a little disappointed with that" - Matt Holland on TV3 after 5-2 drubbing by Cyprus

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    In fairness to the English fans they have improved over the years. And its not like we don't have any hoolies of our own over here. Every country, every club from here to Sydney have a bad element of 'supporters'. I've been to Ireland games were I've heard a very small section of our support use racsits comments towards players on both teams! And anyone on here says that we don't have a small group of trouble makers is lying. I say lets play England again. Don't let the scum win.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SunderlandBohs View Post
    In fairness to the English fans they have improved over the years. And its not like we don't have any hoolies of our own over here. Every country, every club from here to Sydney have a bad element of 'supporters'. I've been to Ireland games were I've heard a very small section of our support use racsits comments towards players on both teams! And anyone on here says that we don't have a small group of trouble makers is lying. I say lets play England again. Don't let the scum win.
    I'm not sure where this myth that the English hooligans have improved has arised from but people seem to be swallowing it. At the last world cup they destroyed cities, attacked normal football fans (men, women and children) and were a complete disgrace in general. Only because it isn't all over the news every minute of the day, it doesn't mean they're reformed. Ask your average German what they were like.

And comparing a few Shamrock Rovers/Bohs etc toe-rags to England is just wrong.
    I think I should the parachute, because I'm great.

In fact, I think I should get both parachutes, in case one doesn't work.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast