Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 3 of 30 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: O'Neill gives his backing for a United Ireland team

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    170 Posts
    Geysir, I don't see any bitterness nor grumpiness there, though it's embarrassing that there's any possibility of us having to play 'home' games in Wales, Scotland or England. I mean, we're all British, and no offence to any of them, but it's just not home.

Of the venues mentioned, a smaller London ground (QPR) or close to Glagow (Kilmarnock) or Manchester/ Liverpool (Tranmere) are less implausible than some.

Meanwhile, progress to Cypriot reunification continues apace, with street parties (albeit short-lived) at Ledra Street, their equivalent of the Duncairn Gardens interface.

You'd be wanting to bring forward the qualifiers, as I dread to think how many an all-island side would score against your O'Shea-led defence...

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gather round View Post
    Meanwhile, progress to Cypriot reunification continues apace, with street parties (albeit short-lived) at Ledra Street, their equivalent of the Duncairn Gardens interface.

You'd be wanting to bring forward the qualifiers, as I dread to think how many an all-island side would score against your O'Shea-led defence...
    What was the point in that last sentence? It seems as though you're just looking to rile people. We have a potentially excellent manager now and could easily beat Cyprus and concede none.
    My concerns are global. I reject absolutely revenge, aggression, and retaliation. The foundation of such a method, is love. I love you Sheriff Truman.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,914 Posts
    Geysir, I don't see any bitterness nor grumpiness there, though it's embarrassing that there's any possibility of us having to play 'home' games in Wales, Scotland or England. I mean, we're all British, and no offence to any of them, but it's just not home.

Of the venues mentioned, a smaller London ground (QPR) or close to Glagow (Kilmarnock) or Manchester/ Liverpool (Tranmere) are less implausible than some..
    I said "Absolutely certain" sounds bitter and grumpy.
    Why not play in Dublin? Why would you consider Wales, Scotland or England and with absolute certainty not Dublin.
    Is it so that the OWC is an exclusive anti Republic association?
    I would have thought that from a brief look at the demographics in the North
    that there are very strong connections to the Republic from a large proportion of the people.
    Last edited by geysir; 06/04/2008 at 2:21 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts

haha. brilliant.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    170 Posts
    What was the point in that last sentence? It seems as though you're just looking to rile people

I'm just following the spirit of the thread, surely? Ligten up, eh?

We have a potentially excellent manager now and could easily beat Cyprus and concede none

Come on, I was only joking. You might well challenge for second place, although on the other hand Crngora look potentially strong. There's no real minnow in the group, is there?

As for Trap, he may well have an Indian summer to a successful career- although his age, lack of English and his Austrian side's season petering out with with a seven-goal smacking must be worries for ye.

Why not play in Dublin? Why would you consider Wales, Scotland or England and with absolute certainty not Dublin?

Dublin's less likely than Wrexham or Kilmarnock because it's even more likely to **** off our support. Nobody in Gwynedd nor Ayrshire wants to abolish the NI side.

I'd sooner we played at an IL ground than anywhere outside NI.

Is it so that the OWC is an exclusive anti Republic association?

No. I'll admit that our support, self included, can often be too touchy; but there are plenty others to criticise- local rivals, group opponents, FIFA, UEFA etc.

I would have thought that from a brief look at the demographics in the North that there are very strong connections to the Republic from a large proportion of the people

Ha ha very droll. And thanks for the offer of Lansdowne, but we'll still pass
    Last edited by Gather round; 06/04/2008 at 2:42 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts

Ha ha very droll. And thanks for the offer of Lansdowne, but we'll still pass
    Are ya sure? Its only a building site now but if ya use a bit of imagination...

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,914 Posts
    GR,

We can't be held responsible for the widespread mass ignorance amongst your support about the eligibility issue if that is what you mean by destroying your team.
    I am surprised that you yourself would be so touchy that you would consider New Lansdowne to be deep in Injun territory.

Football for All hasn't really got into the "hearts and minds" yet. You all just look to be happy go lucky football fans but on the inside many are seething with an irrational fear of the Republic, the heartland of the conspiracy to destroy the NI team

I mean, we only opened up a thread discussing the sentiments of great NI legends, O'Neill and Jennings and we can feel the trembling already.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    What was the point in that last sentence? It seems as though you're just looking to rile people

I'm just following the spirit of the thread, surely? Ligten up, eh?

We have a potentially excellent manager now and could easily beat Cyprus and concede none

Come on, I was only joking. You might well challenge for second place, although on the other hand Crngora look potentially strong. There's no real minnow in the group, is there?

As for Trap, he may well have an Indian summer to a successful career- although his age, lack of English and his Austrian side's season petering out with with a seven-goal smacking must be worries for ye.
    Okay, my mistake I actually thought you were serious. It just seems the norm in these type of threads for it to degrade into a slanging match and I thought this one had just started early.
    My concerns are global. I reject absolutely revenge, aggression, and retaliation. The foundation of such a method, is love. I love you Sheriff Truman.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    170 Posts
    We can't be held responsible for the widespread mass ignorance amongst your support about the eligibility issue if that is what you mean by destroying your team

Er, no. The thread is about/ largely contributed by RoI fans who want the NI team to be effectively swallowed up. As I said, merge with Italy/ England/ Scotland if ye must. We'll keep our own team, thanks.

I'm personally pretty relaxed about a few NI born players declaring for you, as I've said on the relevant thread here.

I am surprised that you yourself would be so touchy that you would consider New Lansdowne to be deep in Injun territory

Well, last time I looked it was in the Republic of Ireland. I wouldn't be any keener if it were on the outskirts of Derry or Newry beyond the border.

Football for All hasn't really got into the "hearts and minds" yet. You all just look to be happy go lucky football fans but on the inside many are seething with an irrational fear of the Republic, the heartland of the conspiracy to destroy the NI team

I've no irrational fear of the RoI, I used to live there and enjoyed it. Weak crack about FFA.

I mean, we only opened up a thread discussing the sentiments of great NI legends, O'Neill and Jennings and we can feel the trembling already

That's right, I can barely stop the tears

It just seems the norm in these type of threads for it to degrade into a slanging match and I thought this one had just started early

Alas, you're right. It'll probably be locked- as someone said above, usual place usual bunch.
    Last edited by Gather round; 06/04/2008 at 4:25 PM.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by The Scientist View Post
    we could all stand in croker arm in arm singing the ballad of Ronnie Drew!!
    Fair play to O'Neill, but of it's the ballad of Ronnie Drew being sung, Rule 42 will be brought back.

Wouldn't Ireland's Call be more appropriate?? .............................Where's the PUKE emoticon?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    GR,

We can't be held responsible for the widespread mass ignorance amongst your support about the eligibility issue if that is what you mean by destroying your team.
    I am surprised that you yourself would be so touchy that you would consider New Lansdowne to be deep in Injun territory.

I mean, we only opened up a thread discussing the sentiments of great NI legends, O'Neill and Jennings and we can feel the trembling already.
    Geysir, do you not know that many people up north

Are extremley hostile towards ROI and anything Irish. eg changing the belfast monopoly game square from "go to jail" to "go to dublin" and constantly referring to ireland as a "foreign country"

Fail to recognise that there is TWO national identies in NI. (eg GSTQ and the crown on the their flag)

Do not respect the national identity of the other community (eg eligibility issue)

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,914 Posts
    Er, no. The thread is about/ largely contributed by RoI fans who want the NI team to be effectively swallowed up. As I said, merge with Italy/ England/ Scotland if ye must. We'll keep our own team, thanks.
    We are just discussing the sentiment of the great legends, Jennings, O'Neill and then Best got a mention. We are not planning an invasion so our cyber hunting puppies can relax (for now).

I was actually more curious about and trying to find an answer why someone would write with "absolute certainty" that it would not be Dublin should NI have to play games away from Windsor Park.
    That indicates to me anywhere on the planet but Dublin.
    I would have thought that Dublin was an obvious location, worthy of consideration at least.
    You do not offer any answers for me on that mindset.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    170 Posts
    We are not planning an invasion so our cyber hunting puppies can relax (for now)

Phew, that's a relief. I was worried that the tanks were already massing down Listowel way.

I would have thought that Dublin was an obvious location, worthy of consideration at least. You do not offer any answers for me on that mindset

Er- I answered your question directly further up the page. Let me repeat, "Dublin's less likely than Wrexham or Kilmarnock because it's even more likely to **** off our support. Nobody in Gwynedd nor Ayrshire wants to abolish the NI side".

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts
    It's a sad reflection on the distrust that still exists if NI fans would rather travel over the water, and at great expense, than hop on a train down to Dublin to avail of their neighbours facilities.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    367 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by amaccann View Post
    It's a sad reflection on the distrust that still exists if NI fans would rather travel over the water, and at great expense, than hop on a train down to Dublin to avail of their neighbours facilities.
    Where exactly in Dublin would they play their games?

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    848 Posts
    Why exactly would we want them to play their games down here, since they use God save the queen as their anthem Im sure they would be much happier to play in england.
    Its really not that complicated!!!

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ifk101 View Post
    Where exactly in Dublin would they play their games?
    *ahem* Why Morton Stadium of course

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    367 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by amaccann View Post
    *ahem* Why Morton Stadium of course
    Well joking aside, it's really only the Dublin LOI grounds that could host NI.

Lansdowne will be 2-3 times too big for NI. The most they'd attract to a game is 20,000 so you're looking at 30,000 odds seats that are empty. If the IFA aren't able to half-fill Lansdowne it's unlikely they be able to cover the costs associated with using the stadium. Another more practical problem is that we'll be looking to use Lansdowne on the same nights NI would be looking to stage matches.

The only possible venue that could be used is the RDS but I'd doubt whether the RDS' make-shift stands are suitable to host international football.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ifk101 View Post
    Well joking aside, it's really only the Dublin LOI grounds that could host NI.

Lansdowne will be 2-3 times too big for NI. The most they'd attract to a game is 20,000 so you're looking at 30,000 odds seats that are empty. If the IFA aren't able to half-fill Lansdowne it's unlikely they be able to cover the costs associated with using the stadium. Another more practical problem is that we'll be looking to use Lansdowne on the same nights NI would be looking to stage matches.

The only possible venue that could be used is the RDS but I'd doubt whether the RDS' make-shift stands are suitable to host international football.
    Well yes, with the redevelopment of Landsdowne Road, I guess the question is kinda irrelevant, but I don't get the impression that NI fans' reluctance to play in Dublin is less to do with facilities and more to do with the idea of playing in the Republic.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    170 Posts
    many people up north are extremley hostile towards ROI

Oh, present company excepted. I'm very keen on the RoI, it's a great place to visit.

and anything Irish

Let's do this gently, shall we? We are Irish, just like our families going back generations. Just as Irish as you. You really must make an effort to grasp that there are hundreds of thousands of Irish Ulster unionists, NI fans etc.

the belfast monopoly game square from "go to jail" to "go to dublin"

Ha ha. OK, another childish pun, but it's hardly the invasion of Iraq, is it?

and constantly referring to ireland as a "foreign country"

Well, like I said. Very pleasant for a foreign holiday. Just not for a home fixture.

Fail to recognise that there is TWO national identies in NI (eg GSTQ and the crown on their flag)

I've no problem with two or more identities. For what it’s worth, I’d prefer a different anthem (Alternative Ulster?) and no crown on the flag.

It's a sad reflection on the distrust that still exists if NI fans would rather travel over the water, and at great expense, than hop on a train down to Dublin to avail of their neighbours facilities

I’ve explained the distrust, above. Travel to Kilmarnock isn’t a great expense in comparison to the trip to Dublin.

But I don’t want to visit either for a home game.

Why exactly would we want them to play their games down here, since they use God save the queen as their anthem I’m sure they would be much happier to play in England

Possibly some RoI fans would be upset and try to stir exaggerated outrage. But there wasn’t that much of a fuss when England played the first rugby international in Croke. And opposition to your home game at Fulham seems muted too.

The most they'd attract to a game is 20,000

I very much doubt we’d attract anywhere near that to any home game outside NI.

Page 3 of 30 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast