Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: A "Real GAA Man" Views on the LOI - Be Afraid, Be Very Afraid

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

A "Real GAA Man" Views on the LOI - Be Afraid, Be Very Afraid

So there I was at a school board community meeting last night and we were looking at ways of getting local kids involved in community activities and sport and all the great and good of the local community and business leaders were there.

The night was going productively until it came to the issue of fund raising. Various ideas were thrown around and somebody suggested we have the local GAA clubs donate kids jerseys as prizes and everyone agrees this is a good idea. Then somebody mentioned that the local LOI club (who shall remain nameless) be brought on board and what I experienced next was unreal and very eye-opening.

A local very wealthy business person laughed jeeringly and stated "we don't want to be exposing the kids around here to that rubbish!" As he said this an almost manical look came over his face. The person I know to be normally a nice enough bloke, transformed into some kind of Mad Mullah when the issue of the League of Ireland was brought up. An English person present interjected. "It's not a bad idea at all, our local club back in England was heavily involved with kids groups in the town and worked out great" The Real GAA man comes back with with spittle flying from his mouth and his eyes bugging. "The kids around here have GAA, they don't need soccer. We shouldn't even have a bloodly soccer league in this country as it takes funding away from GAA. Look what happened out in Tallaght, they give that shower a stadium for free so a man and dog can watch that rubbish!" The rest of the real GAA men around the room agreed and the idea of getting the local LOI club involved in the community was tossed out just like that.

I was left absolutely speechless at the sheer intolerance of the GAA folks there. They were in no way at this event for any other reason to help anyone but the local GAA club which is already rolling in it.

It was also an insight into just what Shamrock Rovers were up against in Tallaght with these fanatics. Until last night I had no real dislike or issue with the GAA, but know I see it it a different light. For all their success and power, the GAA lives in terror of the League of Ireland and will put every obstruction in its path even if means taking sport activities away from kids. By extension you see this in the Irish media were 90% of sports journalists are farmboys from rural areas who take this mentality with them.

What also struck me is how money is some kind of trigger mechanism for GAA heads. This is something they want to control and keep for themselves no matter what. They really are weirdos who care nothing for society as a whole beyond the GAA clubhouse. The GAA do not benefit their local communities as much as control them.
    Last edited by Boh_So_Good; 27/03/2008 at 2:07 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    What a ****!!! That crap really boils my ****! It just shows GAA heads up for the shower of racsits bigots & backward bunch of people then are!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    22 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Boh_So_Good View Post
    "we don't want to be exposing the kids around here to that rubbish!"
    Bad form alright, I can never understand the paranoia that prevails in irish sport. Kids should have the choice of playing any sport they like. I grew up in a rural area and was severely restricted in this regard.

However, and I ask this in deadly earnest, is the person who made that remark any worse than some of the people who post similar sentiments on these forums, albeit from the other side of the coin?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    172 Posts
    However, and I ask this in deadly earnest, is the person who made that remark any worse than some of the people who post similar sentiments on these forums, albeit from the other side of the coin?[/QUOTE]

fair point.
    the reason i would have disparaging comments about the gah is as a direct result of their involvement in trying to close down Rovers which left me not best pleased you can imagine.
    i had been to a few dublin games in the past few years in croker as a nice day out in a cracking stadium.
    now all i wish on them is disease and pestilence.

the point made above about the gah heads being fearfull of a resurgent LOI is very true.
    Shamrock Rovers- Where trophies are won and envy is scarce

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    22 Posts
    So Boh So Good were you in a position to say anything or were you just there on a watching brief?

I have come up against this rubbish a couple of times when I have been trying to get into schools. I'm lucky in that when I come across this I can Ask a Dublin Selector or a former Dublin legend to have a word. Thankfully I have been able to sort these 'individuals' out myself so havent had to call on either of the lads but at least I know theyd help if needed.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Id only have a big rant if the person was in front of me or on this forum
    RIP JOHNNY

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Boh_So_Good View Post
    So there I was at a school board community meeting last night and we were looking at ways of getting local kids involved in community activities and sport and all the great and good of the local community and business leaders were there.

The night was going productively until it came to the issue of fund raising. Various ideas were thrown around and somebody suggested we have the local GAA clubs donate kids jerseys as prizes and everyone agrees this is a good idea. Then somebody mentioned that the local LOI club (who shall remain nameless) be brought on board and what I experienced next was unreal and very eye-opening.

A local very wealthy business person laughed jeeringly and stated "we don't want to be exposing the kids around here to that rubbish!" As he said this an almost manical look came over his face. The person I know to be normally a nice enough bloke, transformed into some kind of Mad Mullah when the issue of the League of Ireland was brought up. An English person present interjected. "It's not a bad idea at all, our local club back in England was heavily involved with kids groups in the town and worked out great" The Real GAA man comes back with with spittle flying from his mouth and his eyes bugging. "The kids around here have GAA, they don't need soccer. We shouldn't even have a bloodly soccer league in this country as it takes funding away from GAA. Look what happened out in Tallaght, they give that shower a stadium for free so a man and dog can watch that rubbish!" The rest of the real GAA men around the room agreed and the idea of getting the local LOI club involved in the community was tossed out just like that.

I was left absolutely speechless at the sheer intolerance of the GAA folks there. They were in no way at this event for any other reason to help anyone but the local GAA club which is already rolling in it.

It was also an insight into just what Shamrock Rovers were up against in Tallaght with these fanatics. Until last night I had no real dislike or issue with the GAA, but know I see it it a different light. For all their success and power, the GAA lives in terror of the League of Ireland and will put every obstruction in its path even if means taking sport activities away from kids. By extension you see this in the Irish media were 90% of sports journalists are farmboys from rural areas who take this mentality with them.

What also struck me is how money is some kind of trigger mechanism for GAA heads. This is something they want to control and keep for themselves no matter what. They really are weirdos who care nothing for society as a whole beyond the GAA clubhouse. The GAA do not benefit their local communities as much as control them.
    The reason for this is very understandable. These guys are pocketing a lot of money from the GAA. Where do you think all that gate money goes. I would say a very small percentage goes back into the GAA. A GAA club that I know has had €100,000+ go "missing"
    The deepest layer of human thinking and feeling somehow knows that God must exist - Pope Benedict XVI

reder
    The LOI is obviously moving in the right direction if GAH people are reacting in that manner when the words "League of Ireland" and "local community" are mentioned in the same sentence.

The Rovers stadium victory was a massive step in the right direction but it is critical that the football club gets its act in gear and fills that ground week-in week-out when they move there.

One GAH man I know was telling me that he his worried by the level of participation in football (soccer as he calls it). In my local area, the kids are going off on Sat and Sun mornings to play football not GAH. The future of the game looks promising and if managed well, could be very fruitful at all levels.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    224 Posts
    You should have ****ed a chair at him and walked off.
    Life without Rovers, it makes no sense...it's a heartache...nothing but a fools game. S.R.F.C.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sligoman View Post
    direct and right to the point
    "Some weeks the lady is good looking and some weeks they're not. Our performance today would have been not the best looking bird but at least we got her in the taxi". - Ian Holloway

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Funnily enough my daughters were doing football coaching in school for a few weeks.Gaelic football of course.......They then told me that they were going on a school trip.... to Croke Park and were being encouraged to wear jersies on the trip.Steeling myself to fork out for two Gaa jersies i was delighted when without any input from me my 2 lasses both piped out at the same time.."dont bother Dad we are wearing our Bohs jersies"
    Legends in the making and i might even stump up for a camera for them

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by reder View Post
    The LOI is obviously moving in the right direction if GAH people are reacting in that manner when the words "League of Ireland" and "local community" are mentioned in the same sentence.

The Rovers stadium victory was a massive step in the right direction but it is critical that the football club gets its act in gear and fills that ground week-in week-out when they move there.

One GAH man I know was telling me that he his worried by the level of participation in football (soccer as he calls it). In my local area, the kids are going off on Sat and Sun mornings to play football not GAH. The future of the game looks promising and if managed well, could be very fruitful at all levels.
    Ive heard a few "English" premier league fanatics discussing the eircom league recently. MNS is working wonders. The media is the key to the future success of the LOI
    The deepest layer of human thinking and feeling somehow knows that God must exist - Pope Benedict XVI

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    The GAA is dead. You heard it here first.

They are on the brink of tearing themselves apart over pay for play which has driven a huge wedge between the intercounty elite and the rank and file members.

If it wasn't for soccer, rugby and the Dubs Croke Park attendences were pitiful last year and are a sign of things to come.

They'll try and blame everyone else but they should look at themselves first.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts
    Sadly not uncommon.

Growing up in a hurling county where things were regularly done to support and nourish the game. The notion of foreign sports wqas one that regularly would crop up in and among my GAA brethren. Generally folk of my age were not overly dogmatic about such things, but there appeared to be a less tolerant approach on high. The order of sports in my locale was very much Hurling first, football a bit behind, and Gaa-ball a long way back - loads of people played Gaa-ball, but generally as training, or to convince their club Obermeisters that they were serious about hurling.

I do seem to recall hearing about a survey or hurlers, perhaps in Limerick, I disrecall. It was one commissioned by the GAA to help develop the game. The simple question was:
    "What do you think is the biggest threat to hurling in the county?"

As one would expect, the authorities were looking for the typical answers "Soccer" "Rugby" English / Foreign games". Apparently, the overwhelming response was "Gaelic Football". If I recall correctly, it may have been somewhat suppressed by the powers that were.

In my other hat, as a hurling fan from a hurling county, I don't give a monkeys about Gaa-ball, and always saw it as a greater threat to numbers taking up hurling. I have in recent years felt that the GAA has been holding hurling back by linking it so inextricably with Gaa-ball, and forsaking it's development outside of the traditional hurling areas.

I may be out of turn in asking this, but but was this in a predominantly Gaa-ball oriented neighborhood, Boh_so_good? I merely ask for information.
    That question was less stupid, though you asked it in a profoundly stupid way.

Help me, Arthur Murphy, you're my only hope!

Quote Originally Posted by Dodge
    I bow to no one. bar Bluebeard and Mr A

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Jealous thugs the lot of them

This is the reason a lot of LOI really hate the GAA. They should learn to look at themselves instead of looking to attack others.

I watched with pleasure the way they tore themselves apart on recent payment of players issue. Unfortunately the government shamefully agreed to pay the players themselves.

Cork were unable to field teams recently & the GAA postponed their games & now need league play offs to decide league placings.

At inter-county game a lump of wood was thrown at a player in Mayo. At another game an official alleged to headbutt a player.

IMO a lot of GAA people are jealous of football. Why else would they create a made up game just to add an International element?
    http://www.forastrust.ie/

Bring back Rocketman!

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Titan View Post
    So Boh So Good were you in a position to say anything or were you just there on a watching brief?
    I was only there with an offer of free use of some tennis club courts for kids free lessons during the day when the courts are idle. I was in no position to say anything as I was there the first night mostly as an observer.
    Last edited by Boh_So_Good; 27/03/2008 at 3:34 PM.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluebeard View Post

I may be out of turn in asking this, but but was this in a predominantly Gaa-ball oriented neighborhood, Boh_so_good? I merely ask for information.
    Funny enough I would say Junior Soccer being the biggest sport around here and the local LOI is well supported (it's not Bohs). GAA is not that popular (hurling is not even talked about) yet the GAA club's facilities are incredible. I am also a member of a local tennis club and a lot of LOI supporters there too. More each year too and laped fans returning.

reder
    GAH football and hurling are summer sports. Thats when they make their money. You see clips in the news of games during the winter and spring and the crowds are way down in numbers. I would love to see the attendance figures minus the dubs for the year.

Can anyone explain to me why the government agreed to pay the players? I dont get that. Surely they should have just said, there's the money, off you go and sort it out yourself.
    Last edited by reder; 27/03/2008 at 3:45 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocky77 View Post
    However, and I ask this in deadly earnest, is the person who made that remark any worse than some of the people who post similar sentiments on these forums, albeit from the other side of the coin?
    I have to disagree with you there. I don't think LOI fans hold contempt for the GAA in the same numbers that the GAA hold contempt for LOI.

I am not surprised by the story above in the slightest. Junior soccer faces the same problems.

The main thing that LOI clubs have to do, is to fight the good fight and continue to get involved in community projects. MNS is doing wonders as are the FAI funded promotion officers.

Keep up the good work.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sligoman View Post
    Forget that - a leg of lamb would've done the trick!
    I phoned the speaking clock to hear a voice speak, it said - "At the tone you will be very much alone"

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast