Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: John Rooney

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    I'm pretty sure that at the very least, to 'claim' Irish citizenship through ancestry, you need one grandparent to be born in the 26 counties, or before partition in the North.

If John Rooney's great-grandmother/grandfather was born in Derry, his mother would have to have claimed Irish citizenship through Foreign Birth Registry in Liverpool. If she didn't do that, prior to John Rooney's birth, then he is ineligible.

I think that was how Michael Robinson played for Ireland, although I can't confirm that... I thought I read that in Jack Charlton's autobiography...

Haven't we been here many times before - players stating their intention to play for Ireland. Is it so hard for them to apply for a passport themselves, and then approach the FAI? That way, we'll know that their intention is legitimate, based in fact and that they can actually play for us...
    "Dúirt mé leat go raibh mé breoite."

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    848 Posts
    [quote=Chicago AOH;907817]

Haven't we been here many times before - players stating their intention to play for Ireland. Is it so hard for them to apply for a passport themselves, and then approach the FAI? That way, we'll know that their intention is legitimate, based in fact and that they can actually play for us...[/quote]

thats a very good point
    Its really not that complicated!!!

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    34 Posts
    any links to this story

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    I'm convinced I read an article on tribalfootball.com ages ago that the FAI had approached Everton for documents on his parentage, but found out he wasn't eligible because he had already played competitive underage football for England
    He was on the bench for everton by 15 he played for england around then but even at that you can swap up untill i think you get a full call up ala Ryan Giggs

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Plastic Paddy View Post
    That "sap" Ray Shah is a close friend of mine so, unless you know him, less of the "sap" please. In any case Ray was born in Tilbury in Essex and lived there until he was 11 so he's every right to regard himself as English.

PP
    No offence meant mate, only a turn of phrase. I just found it galling to see him bigging up the whole Dublin / Ireland thing, wearing Dubs colours one day and then swanning around in the flag of St George the next. If he does 'regard himself as English' then he was taking the **** playing the Irish card so heavilly on television. I appreciate he may well be sound away from the whole reality TV / Heat magazine bull**** but by the very act of going onto Big Brother, cracking a sly one off under a quilt on live tv and proving himself to be hopeless at handling his beer and turning into an agressive fool after a couple of shandies (he must be English actually) he was leading people to my original conclusion! Difference between a public and private persona I guess.....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    244 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by anto1208 View Post
    He was on the bench for everton by 15 he played for england around then but even at that you can swap up untill i think you get a full call up ala Ryan Giggs
    As far as I know Ryan Giggs never played underage football for England...he captained the England Schoolboys, but schoolboy teams are determined by where you live, not where you're from....if he was good enough to play for Wales at 16, he could play for the Welsh senior international side and England schoolboys simultaneously for example.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Drumcondra 69er View Post
    No offence meant mate, only a turn of phrase. I just found it galling to see him bigging up the whole Dublin / Ireland thing, wearing Dubs colours one day and then swanning around in the flag of St George the next. If he does 'regard himself as English' then he was taking the **** playing the Irish card so heavilly on television. I appreciate he may well be sound away from the whole reality TV / Heat magazine bull**** but by the very act of going onto Big Brother, cracking a sly one off under a quilt on live tv and proving himself to be hopeless at handling his beer and turning into an agressive fool after a couple of shandies (he must be English actually) he was leading people to my original conclusion! Difference between a public and private persona I guess.....

Well put, my Sentiments exactly.
    Last edited by FarBeag; 29/03/2008 at 10:24 AM.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    I would not mind him. If he wants to declare let him and wanting to do this at this stage when he is a teenager is a good thing. A bit off topic but I have never seen Wayne Rooney sing Good save the Queen when his team mates are busting a gut. He always looks towards the ground.Maybe he is just a republican or he doesn't know the words.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FarBeag View Post
    Well put, my sediments exactly.
    dont swallow them whatever you do!
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,306 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by anto1208 View Post
    This was even before he played for Everton. Can't find the link, although seeing as how it was around 2002-2003 it's probably been deleted
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ceirtlis View Post
    Kevin Gallen wrote a letter to Brian Kerr when he took charge asking to be considered for Ireland saying he was coerced into choosing England when he was younger. I think it was around the time when there was some sort of amnesty about playing underage and then declaring for someone else. Kerr didnt pick him so he is not eligible now that the rules have changed.
    He wasn't the only one at QPR. I met the mother of another one, one night in September 1994 and she was p*ssed off her son was forced into opting for England or having his youth terms terminated under Francis. Forgotten his name but I know Plastic Paddy knows him. He ended up in the non leagues quite shortly.

Dunno about Rooney Jr being Irish, but Rooney Senior looks less than confortable standing to the German Lady. Anyway I thought he had just one Irish grandparent, so you'd immediately think it's a career move...if he was any good in the first place.
    This is the cooooooooooooolest footy forum I've ever seen!

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    848 Posts
    Even if it was just a career move would we all really care if he turns out to be a quality player. We dont exactly have 10000 players to choose from so personally as long as any player gives his all while in the green shirt I would welcome him no matter how Irish he felt while growing up.Andy Townsend, Matty Holland and Clinton Morisson to name a few grew up very english and no one could doubt their passion for the jersey when they played for us.
    Its really not that complicated!!!

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chicago AOH View Post
    I'm pretty sure that at the very least, to 'claim' Irish citizenship through ancestry, you need one grandparent to be born in the 26 counties, or before partition in the North.
    "Minor" correction, one grandparent born in the 32 counties.

When it comes to citizenship it is a 32 county Ireland.

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    999 Posts
    If John Rooney's great-grandmother/grandfather was born in Derry, his mother would have to have claimed Irish citizenship through Foreign Birth Registry in Liverpool. If she didn't do that, prior to John Rooney's birth, then he is ineligible.
    I'm not sure that's true. As far as I'm aware, he would be eligible to get a passport as soon as his grandmother got one. He would only be considered Irish from the date her citizenship was granted though, not from his date of birth. And he doesn't automatically become a citizen, he has to apply to become one.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,306 Posts
    Looks a bit like his brother too: http://www.mtfc.premiumtv.co.uk/page...223250,00.html
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post
    dont swallow them whatever you do!

You are too funny Einstein.Edited now chief so hope your happy.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    91 Posts
    I was sorting out my passport the other day and reading the notes i got the impression that a 20g would be elegible for citizenship as long as every generation before had applied for citizenship before the next was born, if that makes sense.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by osarusan View Post
    I'm not sure that's true. As far as I'm aware, he would be eligible to get a passport as soon as his grandmother got one. He would only be considered Irish from the date her citizenship was granted though, not from his date of birth. And he doesn't automatically become a citizen, he has to apply to become one.
    If it's his great grandmother that was born in Ireland, I believe he'll only get Irish citizenship if his mother had herself a FBC when he was born. Maybe wrong though. The alternative is to move to Ireland (Liverpool despite it's history doesn't count).

Boovidge, your right about the 20th generation, providing the link is not broken.
    This is the cooooooooooooolest footy forum I've ever seen!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Well if he's eligible he can find his granny's Irish birth certificate, fill out the forms and become a citizen.

Annoys me though, these almost press-releases to alert national associations to player's eligibility. Everyone remember Zat Knight and Marlon King declaring for Ireland? I remember King playing against us in the Unity Cup for Jamaica! Few months after Knight, 'declared' he was playing for England here in Chicago, against the USA. And Franck Quedrue? He wasn't even close to being eligible...
    "Dúirt mé leat go raibh mé breoite."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,306 Posts
    Annoys me though, these almost press-releases to alert national associations to player's eligibility. Everyone remember Zat Knight and Marlon King declaring for Ireland? I remember King playing against us in the Unity Cup for Jamaica!
    King claimed his maternal grandmother was Irish, and did put some effort into declaring for Ireland.
    From http://www.independent.ie/sport/socc...el-336798.html
    MARLON KING, Gillingham's highly-rated striker, could be the latest Irish recruit. King is in the process of applying for a passport
    From http://www.independent.ie/sport/socc...al-331942.html
    Meanwhile, McCarthy continues to track Gillingham striker Marlon King, who has Irish qualifications. "Marlon is a strong centre-forward who scores goals and I'll be watching him in the coming weeks," he said.
    From http://www.independent.ie/sport/socc...rt-319258.html
    The 21-year-old has been trying for almost a year to prove he qualifies through his grandmother but has so far failed to locate her birth certificate.
    Few months after Knight, 'declared' he was playing for England here in Chicago, against the USA.
    Knight didn't think he'd get into the England team, and looked into declaring for Ireland - http://www.skysports.com/story/0,195...313729,00.html
    Sven capped him soon after to stop that happening.
    And Franck Quedrue? He wasn't even close to being eligible...
    AFAIR he claimed he had a grandparent from Cork, can't remember if it turned out to be a great-grandparent or a great-great-grandparent. Last I heard he was looking to declare for England through residency.
    Last edited by tetsujin1979; 30/03/2008 at 5:23 PM.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast