Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Whats up with shels fans

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    40 Posts

Whats up with shels fans

Just looking at a few other sites and have noticed shels fans seem to have a really big problem with SF. I understand rivalry between clubs but these guys are really spitting blood ( not all I know)
    Just wondering what anyone else thought ( including shels fans)

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lamper.sffc View Post
    Just looking at a few other sites and have noticed shels fans seem to have a really big problem with SF. I understand rivalry between clubs but these guys are really spitting blood ( not all I know)
    Just wondering what anyone else thought ( including shels fans)

I reckon its 3 intervening factors.
    1 recently a big club who have just had the wind taken out of their sails
    2 bitterness at having lost out on hearse road/lissenhall before Ollie died
    3 Fear of Sporting Fingal, a sustainable club looking over their shoulders
    RA: "Tell you what, I know the lad's got a nudge early doors, but big Heskey's gone down like Buddy Holly there."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I've heard a couple say that Sporting Fingal were suppose to replace Shels or something last year. I don't see how this is true though.

They should be happy with a Dublin rival of some kind while they're down in this division.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,195 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Santry_Goonshow View Post
    3 Fear of Sporting Fingal, a sustainable club looking over their shoulders
    First of many, I hope!

Keep 'em coming!

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    First of many, I hope!

Keep 'em coming!
    Thank you for being reasonable and understanding the point. What the league needs, and beleaguered LOI fans deserve, is 20 clubs that have:

1. A well defined catchment area or "community" for their fans. This helps promotion, gates, sponsors and links to sources of funding. Not currently understood by clubs like Shels or Rovers - which bus route will they palying on next?
    2. A stadium that they own, and therefore an asset to offset against troubled times or use as an income stream or concert venue or loan out to the GAA bethern. This is just good business sense, even retrogressive clubs in England know this - LOI clubs haven't the ability to see it
    3. A net contribution to the development of skills and younger players, imo the most deficient system in Europe. Look at the Ireland u21s, and other youth level teams. There's a real dearth of quality coming through because local structures don't link together. Our skillful players develop in spite of the system not because of it.

Obviously most LOI clubs need a sharp jolt, LOI fans are like drug addicts. Put talcum powder in their hit and they will still throw it into their arms. i don't see why I was forced to grovel in other threads for this opinion
    RA: "Tell you what, I know the lad's got a nudge early doors, but big Heskey's gone down like Buddy Holly there."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,195 Posts
    Superb! 2 from 2!!

What the league needs, and beleaguered LOI fans deserve, is 20 clubs that have:
    So you're leaving out Rovers and Shels here, yeah?

A well defined catchment area or "community" for their fans.
    Fingal's a well defined, community area, yeah?

Not currently understood by clubs like Shels or Rovers - which bus route will they palying on next?
    Shels have been at Tolka for over 20 years at this stage, and were in it before as well. Changing venues regularly alright.

A stadium that they own
    That's youz out so.

A net contribution to the development of skills and younger players, imo the most deficient system in Europe. Look at the Ireland u21s, and other youth level teams.
    And suddenly, SF will make the 21s world beaters, yeah?

International Prospect DmanDmythDledge's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    1. A well defined catchment area or "community" for their fans. This helps promotion, gates, sponsors and links to sources of funding. Not currently understood by clubs like Shels or Rovers - which bus route will they palying on next?
    Concrete proof that you're talking through your arse.

Sporting Fingal, in my opinion, are adopting the right approach in creating links with their community and aspiring to setup an academy. They are not the only club doing this, however. Get off the high horse- it's hardly some sort of unprecedented brainwave.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DmanDmythDledge View Post
    Concrete proof that you're talking through your arse.

Sporting Fingal, in my opinion, are adopting the right approach in creating links with their community and aspiring to setup an academy. They are not the only club doing this, however. Get off the high horse- it's hardly some sort of unprecedented brainwave.
    Well answer this then. Why are clubs wallowing in and out of crisis even the so called giants of SRFC and SFC, why do most not own their stadia (SFFC will own theirs), why ar emost not really doing more than lip service to the development of youth soccer.

I have a right to answer the question posed by the other man - and you can disagree, but how the hell is anything concrete proof of anyone talking to their arse. If you want to talk, talk. If you want to blindly insult me then just make up a chant sing it on an abandoned rented terrace and at least be honest with yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Superb! 2 from 2!!
    So you're leaving out Rovers and Shels here, yeah?
    Fingal's a well defined, community area, yeah?
    Shels have been at Tolka for over 20 years at this stage, and were in it before as well. Changing venues regularly alright.
    That's youz out so.
    And suddenly, SF will make the 21s world beaters, yeah?

You need to inform yourself. I included Shels and Rovers in my comments. Pretty obvious isn't it? Fingal is very well defined, has a boundary going back to 1994. You can find maps of it on Google for example - check it if you don't believe me.

Shels sold their stadium at Irishtown (classic long-term thinking) arrived at Tolka and baled out to Harolds Cross dog track(making false promises to be the Dublin 4/6/12 local team especially after Rovers stabbed their fans in the back at Milltown). Why do I know this? Because I was one of several thousand mugs who thought they had a local side in Harolds Cross. This stint in Tolka almost ended on 3 occasions over the last 5 years. Shels lost out on two sites PLUS the opportunity to become Sporting Fingal. So tell me now, am I wrong to say they flit around?

Sporting Fingal will own its own purpose built stadium therby making a long term committment and putting roots down in Swords. The stadium it plays at now is envisaged for 2-3 years, but Fingal County Council is a stakeholder in that so it is secure unlike most others.

Read my original post. I wasn't saying that SFFC would be "world beaters", those are your words. I said that 20 league clubs need to take similar steps.

I'll get off my high-horse when you get a horse. Then we can look eye to eye.
    Last edited by dahamsta; 28/03/2008 at 12:31 AM.

International Prospect DmanDmythDledge's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    Well answer this then. Why are clubs wallowing in and out of crisis even the so called giants of SRFC and SFC, why do most not own their stadia (SFFC will own theirs), why are most not really doing more than lip service to the development of youth soccer.

I have a right to answer the question posed by the other man - and you can disagree, but how the hell is anything concrete proof of anyone talking to their arse. If you want to talk, talk. If you want to blindly insult me then just make up a chant sing it on an abandoned rented terrace and at least be honest with yourself.
    Crisis? Shels were in a crisis because of one man running the show. They've paid the price and are subsequently rebuilding.

Since when did owning stadia become a barometer for the development of youth soccer?

You're original point was that Shamrock Rovers had no community links. For someone who is making themselves out to be an expert on this topic your comments on this thread, and threads, suggest otherwise.

When Rovers made the decision to build their new stadium in Tallaght they moved every aspect of the club the vicinity (schoolboy, LSL). They have also created several links with the community, including footballing scholarships in conjunction with ITT. To dismiss this and label SRFC as having no community links just because you are unaware of them is ignorance.

I'll get off my high-horse when you get a horse. Then we can look eye to eye.
    Yet again you show your ignorance for the topic being discussed.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    And here the obsession starts...........
    Who Cares?!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    123 Posts
    Well answer this then. Why are clubs wallowing in and out of crisis even the so called giants of SRFC and SFC, why do most not own their stadia (SFFC will own theirs), why ar emost not really doing more than lip service to the development of youth soccer.

fcuking hell all we need is another geni ass telling us all were we are going wrong and before you reply we own our our groud and have one ofthe best youth and community programmes in the country.
    your only here a wet day and your telling us all were we are going wrong. at this moment all you have is aspirations and therre like *******s we all have them
    I wish i did not know then what I dont know now

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts

Shels sold their stadium at Irishtown (classic long-term thinking) a
    wikipedia/google does have a very good memory

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    115 Posts
    as the Rock would say "know your role jabroni"
    roddy collins you're a flanker you're a flanker!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    If I were a Fingal fan I'd more worried about the lack of people that were willing to pay into the Limerick game, 350-400 people with 70-80 of them being Limerick fans foretells Dublin City style doom I feel

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,195 Posts
    This is great craic!

You need to inform yourself. I included Shels and Rovers in my comments. Pretty obvious isn't it?
    You referred to 20 eL teams. You then singled out Rovers and Shels as exceptions. Given there are 22 teams, and you're talking about 20 and excluding two...?

Fingal is very well defined, has a boundary going back to 1994.
    So you don't know what bus to get to Shels' next game even though they're in Tolka 20+ years, but a fictional county with borders for 14 years is well-defined?

Fingal is not well defined. Nobody I know from there considers themselves Fingallian. Nobody, in short, cares. About the "county", or about the ego-trips the "county" councillors are on that needs them to invent a county to satisfy it. That's how it's not well defined.

Sporting Fingal will own its own purpose built stadium
    No they won't. The council will. Similar set-up to a lot of clubs up and down the league.

Read my original post. I wasn't saying that SFFC would be "world beaters", those are your words.
    Are they? You want to show me where I said that?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    He's nothing more than a wum.
    Who Cares?!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    40 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jebus View Post
    If I were a Fingal fan I'd more worried about the lack of people that were willing to pay into the Limerick game, 350-400 people with 70-80 of them being Limerick fans foretells Dublin City style doom I feel
    It was around the 480, About 30 to 40 limerick and also one of the coldest nights of the year. And i would still say not bad for a club who had few months to get a squad together and attract fans. If i had a penny for every dublin city reference. We are backed to the hilt financially for next 5 years unlike dublin city. And Dublin city never represented me. (I know there name had fingal in it at one point, nothing more than a cheap marketing trick)
    Last edited by Lamper.sffc; 27/03/2008 at 10:58 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    Since you can't count (30-40 Limerick fans ffs) I don't believe your estimates on the crowd

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    123 Posts
    Thank you for being reasonable and understanding the point. What the league needs, and beleaguered LOI fans deserve, is 20 clubs that have:
    at least 15 have

youve been listening to too many marketing men(if we build it they will come)
    2. A stadium that they own, and therefore an asset to offset against troubled times or use as an income stream or concert venue or loan out to the GAA bethern. This is just good business sense, even retrogressive clubs in England know this - LOI clubs haven't the ability to see it
    who is they ,they dont own anything and you can us it as an assest if its disignated for sporting activities
    3. A net contribution to the development of skills and younger players, imo the most deficient system in Europe. Look at the Ireland u21s, and other youth level teams. There's a real dearth of quality coming through because local structures don't link together. Our skillful players develop in spite of the system not because of it.
    and you have the solution gee whiss
    Obviously most LOI clubs need a sharp jolt, LOI fans are like drug addicts. Put talcum powder in their hit and they will still throw it into their arms. i don't see why I was forced to grovel in other threads for this opinion
    most if not all clubs have been on a learning curb for a number of years as football is changing but im sure they have nothing to learn from SF until we see the fruit of your loins
    I wish i did not know then what I dont know now

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts
    Not currently understood by clubs like Shels or Rovers - which bus route will they palying on next?
    77/56A/50/65B/77A/54A/201/202/65/49/75

Take your pick.
    The Model Club

Tell all the Bohs you know
    that we've gone and won two-in-a-row
    and it's not gonna be three
    and it's not gonna be four
    it's more likely to be 5-1.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast