Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Langan on liveline

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenforever View Post
    Obviously yourself and Ciaran are lucky enough to have been born into the new rich Ireland, and you are also lucky not to have witnessed anyone close to you with a serious illness / disease or hatever you may want to call it.

If you could take your head from your a*** for a minute you might cop on that Davy Langan gave more for his country in an afternoon than you will ever do in a lifetime. I just hope for your sake if you ever do end up with an horiffic illness you will meet people with a bit more compassion.

Why have you a problem with others giving their money to help someone in need.

Would a testimonial for Dave even effect you? Or are you just a bitter sad individual with no friends
    Like I said at the start - attention seekers.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I have to a admit I'm one of the posters on here who hadn't heard of Dave up until this thread however from what I've read on here so far i get the feeling that he was a class act and feel a certain amount of regret at not seeing him play. It seems to me that he may of been shafted by the FAI on the testimonial thing and therefore wouldn't begrudge him his day out at all the only reservation's i would have is A. would a testimonial for a player from 2 decades ago pull in a decent crowd. and B would it open the flood gates for every has been player with a few caps and a sob story to chance their arms with the FAI

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,915 Posts
    "i get the feeling that he was a class act"
    "It seems to me that he may of been shafted by the FAI on the testimonial thing"

That's it in a nutshell

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Block G Raptor View Post
    I have to a admit I'm one of the posters on here who hadn't heard of Dave up until this thread however from what I've read on here so far i get the feeling that he was a class act and feel a certain amount of regret at not seeing him play. It seems to me that he may of been shafted by the FAI on the testimonial thing and therefore wouldn't begrudge him his day out at all the only reservation's i would have is A. would a testimonial for a player from 2 decades ago pull in a decent crowd. and B would it open the flood gates for every has been player with a few caps and a sob story to chance their arms with the FAI

First the size of the crowd is not the most important thing it is recognition and I would be pretty sure you would get at least 50K to a game for Davy and second theres no other player out there that Im aware of that was crippled to such an extent when playing for his country.

A true tribute may be to hold the first game in Lansdowne as a testimonial for Davy and put the tickets on sale now, so as to generate revenue asap.
    Fair Play died Nov 18th 2009, Stade Francais.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    539 Posts
    maybe a game against decent opposition for a fund that helps ALL such cases of hardship from past players would be a happy compromise

also, the IRFU definately used to and probably still give a percentage of takings on match programmes to charity. maybe 50c from every FAI programme sold could go to a past players fund from now on

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    lads im behind the langan testimonial, but I dont beleive for 1 second he would get 50,000 for his testimonial.! Ecuse my cynicism, but I doubt you would get 50,000 signatures on a petition for a testimonial for him .

I agree with 'Greenforever', the issue from the FAIs point of view is, (1). If they sanction a testimonial for Langan, how many players with that amount of caps will come seeking the same, (2). What distinguishes Dave from someone else even with more caps, who has fallen on hard times with illness and poverty? (3). Where will it be played? Croke park costs 1m to rent and a testimonial is outside the terms of the current agreement (4). There is a players fund all ready setup for this reason.

Personally I think the only viable option in the relative near future is to have a fund-rasing campaign perhaps, where current and ex irish players could donate match shirts for auction.
    'How can I hate women, my Mums one!!!' Chris Finch

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts
    I remember Dave Langan. He was the type the word 'legend' was reserved for, before imposters like Lampard, Beckham et al got it. He used to roar up and down that touchline in Lansdowne. He was outstanding in the Euro 88 qualifiers It's hard to believe he was dropped for Chris Morris in the end. The bigger irony being that the man who beat England in Stuttgart in 88 and Italy in the Giants Stadium in 94 was discovered by Dave. At least we owe him for that. I heard the interview on the radio on Tuesday. It reminded me of how humble we once were as a country. Dave said he was heartbroken when Jack dropped him because the green jersey meant so much. If there's a testimonial for him I'll be there. Just to appreciate a legend in the true sense!
    'And Crouch must score'

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ciaran View Post
    There are appropriate Arthritis help foundations, it would make far more sense to give the money to them where they in turn would help not just Dave but thousands of other sufferers cope as opposed to throwing hundreds of thousands at this guy while giving a proverbial two fingers to everyone else suffering from it because they're job didn't happen to be your favourite sport.
    Ciaran, it's fair enough if you don't want to participate, but why are you constantly trying to ruin a thread that is just trying to help someone? Nobody is asking you to spend money on a testimonial so I don't think you should be questioning people's rights to set one up on his behalf. If you don't agree with the matter then just stay off the thread. If I don't agree with something - which is none of my business - then I'll stay away from it. Would you go on a Jewish board and tell them that Israel doesn't have a right to exist (just using this as an example)?
    My concerns are global. I reject absolutely revenge, aggression, and retaliation. The foundation of such a method, is love. I love you Sheriff Truman.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jmurphyc View Post
    Ciaran, it's fair enough if you don't want to participate, but why are you constantly trying to ruin a thread that is just trying to help someone? Nobody is asking you to spend money on a testimonial so I don't think you should be questioning people's rights to set one up on his behalf. If you don't agree with the matter then just stay off the thread. If I don't agree with something - which is none of my business - then I'll stay away from it. Would you go on a Jewish board and tell them that Israel doesn't have a right to exist (just using this as an example)?
    Probaly would you know,should have brought him to Tel Aviv with us and left him with a few Israeli soilders

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DeNiro View Post
    I remember Dave Langan. It reminded me of how humble we once were as a country.
    I touched on an earlier post of how different Ireland was back in those days. Nostalgia? No, I'd not like to return to it one bit.

It was the word humble that caught my attention in DeNiro's post.

Dave was and is a very humble person.

A small anecdote.

He'd come watch Cherry Orchard games on the Lawn, Ballyfermot,getting the 78 bus from town when he was home.

He was also due to play in an reunion game in the mid 1980's and with kick off time getting close there was still no sign of Dave. IIRC it was just after Ireland had won the Iceland tournament.

An old style open backed CIE bus struggled up Balyfermot Road stopping outside the school and off hopped Davy.

He was asked why he was late and said the bus was the problem.
    Someone said why didn't you get a taxi and Davy replied, "the bus was good enough for me when I was a schoolboy and it's good enough for me now".
    http://pix.ie/widgets/generate/accou...000-F5F5FF.jpg

"It's time for the FAI to grow up." John O'Donoghue, Minister for Sport, RTE , Sunday 7 Nov 2004

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by soccerc View Post

He was asked why he was late and said the bus was the problem.
    Someone said why didn't you get a taxi and Davy replied, "the bus was good enough for me when I was a schoolboy and it's good enough for me now".
    He was either an absolutely genuine down to earth fella or a tight git
    I'd imagine it was the former

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Block G Raptor View Post
    He was either an absolutely genuine down to earth fella or a tight git
    I'd imagine it was the former
    Correct, a genuine salt of the earth who didn't forget his roots or where he comes from, Unlike some of our current over paid, over there, prima donna's

For anyone interested here is a list of the games he played for Ireland.

DAVID FRANCIS LANGAN

26 INTERNATIONAL CAPS

1978: DERBY COUNTY

TUNISIA, NORWAY.

1980: DERBY COUNTY

ARGENTINA, SWITZERLAND.

1980:BIRMINGHAM CITY

HOLLAND, BELGIUM, FRANCE,CYPRUS.

1981;BIRMINGHAM CITY

WALES,BELGIUM, SOVIET UNION,WEST GERMANY, POLAND,HOLLAND,FRANCE.

1985: OXFORD UNITED

NORWAY,SPAIN,SWITZERLAND.

1986: OXFORD UNITED

WALES, URUGUAY, BELGIUM, SCOTLAND,POLAND.

1987: OXFORD UNITED

BRAZIL,LUXEMBOURG,LUXEMBOURG.
    Last edited by soccerc; 27/03/2008 at 3:33 PM.

"It's time for the FAI to grow up." John O'Donoghue, Minister for Sport, RTE , Sunday 7 Nov 2004

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    When you're called an "imbecile" for not having heard of a cult 80's figure it makes it very difficult for me to be anyway supportive to such a close minded group of fogies. Normally in this instance I would say "Yeah, fine. I can understand why people want to Help him but I just don't think it's the right approach" and leave it be, but if people are going to lash out at me without just cause they should at least expect their motivation tobe questioned.

It's your attitued as the thread developed that proves you'r an imbecile, and whos the close minded group of fogies??? Are they the people who can't understand why you have a problem with other people helping Davy out.

Maybe we should all ask for your premission before we help a fellow human being out

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts
    Ciran if you are only defending yourself why not take the higher ground and delete some of your more infuriating posts.
    didnt someone say he played in Euro 88 qualifiers? seems he only played in Luxembourg home and away. Might explain why he was dropped?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Billsthoughts View Post
    Ciran if you are only defending yourself why not take the higher ground and delete some of your more infuriating posts.
    didnt someone say he played in Euro 88 qualifiers? seems he only played in Luxembourg home and away. Might explain why he was dropped?
    no, Belgium and Scotland too, only Stapleton and Moran played in all eight qualifying games
    Last edited by soccerc; 27/03/2008 at 3:49 PM.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    When you're called an "imbecile" for not having heard of a cult 80's figure it makes it very difficult for me to be anyway supportive to such a close minded group of fogies. Normally in this instance I would say "Yeah, fine. I can understand why people want to Help him but I just don't think it's the right approach" and leave it be, but if people are going to lash out at me without just cause they should at least expect their motivation tobe questioned.
    Much as I'm surprised that there's fans out there that aren't familiar with a player from only 20 years back that was as popular as Langan (this isn't a Kevin O'Callaghan or even a Michael Robinson with all respect to them that we're talking about) that's their perogative. It was the obvious disrespectful tone of your initial post that myself and many others judging from the responses had an issue with. Not to mention the whole tedious 'LOOK AT ME, LOOK AT ME!!!' aspect to it.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kingdom hoop View Post
    Spot on. There should be a "pour tar and throw feathers on Ciaran" emoticon to express my feelings.

At least we have Green Tribe and Babysis. Hope ye're efforts are rewarded girls.
    I really can't understand people begrudging others helping Davey. It was said a few posts ago - If you dont want to help or show support, then leave the rest of us to it.

I was taught to help whenever you can, so that's all we are doing - its a small gesture for someone who was so proud to wear the green jersey.
    Dave had the attitude Id like to see more of our players nowadays adopt - Sheer determination and pride to wear the green, no matter the consequences. Jesus for that alone he deserves a bit of recognition.
    The fund raising night is a great idea but like everything the interest and awareness needs to be built first.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    732 Posts
    For **** sake.

Ciaran hadn't heard of this guy. Neither had I, nor several other posters who've popped their heads into no man's land here. Those of you who hopped on him for it should be ashamed of yourselves. The fact that you all got so ****ed off at each other over this is absolutely pathetic.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by John83 View Post
    For **** sake.

Ciaran hadn't heard of this guy. Neither had I, nor several other posters who've popped their heads into no man's land here. Those of you who hopped on him for it should be ashamed of yourselves. The fact that you all got so ****ed off at each other over this is absolutely pathetic.
    As previously posted its his initial post which ****ed people off, then when he goes on to begrudge others who want to help out.

From a quick search of threads you have started you're obviously a great EL fan, you'd probably be very ****ed off if someone got on to the site and started slaging off UCD and any fundraisng efforts their supporters wanted to get involved in.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast