Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Langan on liveline

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    I think some supporters are all too quick to slag players for retiring early and state they are representing their country etc and then when it comes to other issues say things like, "in any other profession" they would not get any help out from the public. The fact is that football or sport is not any other profession. I do not represent my country when I go to work and these guys now get great rewards for playing football at the highest level. However Dave Langan comes from a different era and I think it would be nice for the Irish fans to show their support for a player who always gave his all for Ireland and was a great crosser of the ball and due to the harshness of the sport he is now in constant pain and cannot provide for himself due to lack of employment opportunities. I would agree with this campaign.
    In Trap we trust

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sligoman View Post
    ffs lads calm down. I didn't know who he was either, forgive me for not being born in time.

Yes but you wernt so quick to post a remark suggesting well I dont know who he was so he can have been anybody.
    Fair Play died Nov 18th 2009, Stade Francais.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ruben_sosa View Post
    oh, he fought for Ireland during a war and gave his life? yeah he deserves the title 'legend' then. Oh wait, he played football.... feck off.

who can the rest of us turn when our families are sick? feckin no-one that's who, so stop pushing your misplaced bleeding heart bullpoop down peoples throats. There are millions of people more deserving of a handout than an ex-footballer with arthritis. I'll keep my money for the Red Cross if you don't mind. He lived the dream and now he's suffering from a problem that 1 in 6 Irish people have, life's tough.

Well with a selfish attitude like yours it probably explains why you might have noone to turn to unlike Dave who put the pride in his country before his own health, so if you don't mind I and countless thousands of others will qite happily dig deep to give a LEGENd a dig out in his hour of need.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ciaran View Post
    Right well on to the matter.

My understanding is that the FAI are under no obligation to give him a testimonial as he didn't make enough appearances and the campaign appears to be trying to joust the FAI into earning PR points by helping.

I'm with some of the other people here, I don't see the urgency of the situation. It's unfortunate, yes. But if that man was in most other professions he'd have no choice but live off state grants, and apparently he's getting paid from the FAI too.
    Is there some specific reason he's looking for this money?

Yes the FAI are under no obligation to give him a testimonial.

You don't see the urgency of the situation, well you still obviously have not learnt od Davy's plight, he needs help and he needs it now not some distant time in the future.

"If that man" I assume you're referring to Davy and the way you try to demean him by referring to him as "That man" really tells us something about you and your attitude problem.

Most other professions would have looked after a fallen comrade far better, not that you would probably know as only being a young person (I would'nt call you a man) most professions such as the SIMI and LVA have benevolent funds were they help out former collegaues in their time of need. And believe it or not Football Supporters are the people who should be helping out Davy Langan in his hour of need.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilMcD View Post
    I think some supporters are all too quick to slag players for retiring early and state they are representing their country etc and then when it comes to other issues say things like, "in any other profession" they would not get any help out from the public. The fact is that football or sport is not any other profession. I do not represent my country when I go to work and these guys now get great rewards for playing football at the highest level. However Dave Langan comes from a different era and I think it would be nice for the Irish fans to show their support for a player who always gave his all for Ireland and was a great crosser of the ball and due to the harshness of the sport he is now in constant pain and cannot provide for himself due to lack of employment opportunities. I would agree with this campaign.

I couldn't agree more, compare him with certain individuals who lie to get out of playing for their country and then WE the supporters end up paying for a private plane to send them home.

Give me a team of Davy Langans anyday.

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    877 Posts
    His hour of need? What exactly is his problem that has made it a dire issue now and not 20 years ago?

Or is this thread just a regurtiation of some ongoing problem that past it's chance to be resolved years ago?

Why should I donate money to some guy I've never heard of who has arthritis? My grandfather has arthritis, should I throw some money at him too? It seems to make everything better apparently.
    No one is asking u to donate money to him if you dont want to, its not compulsary.... but there are lots of Irish fans that would like to help him
    Its really not that complicated!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    His hour of need? What exactly is his problem that has made it a dire issue now and not 20 years ago?

Or is this thread just a regurtiation of some ongoing problem that past it's chance to be resolved years ago?

Why should I donate money to some guy I've never heard of who has arthritis? My grandfather has arthritis, should I throw some money at him too? It seems to make everything better apparently.

NO you should not donate money to a guy whom you obviously resent even though in your own words you never heard of him BUT why have you a problem with coutless other supporters who want to do something for him. If he was granted a testimonial you would not be obliged to buy a ticket so why have you a problem if others want to.

As you obviously dont know, even though your Grandfather suffers the same, it gets worse with age. Please also pass my good wishes to your Grandfather as he obviously could do with them as his grandson obviously doesnt give a s*** Surely if a close family member has such a condition you could actually comprehend what DAvy is going through and then remember he is probably at least 20 years younger than your Grandad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

So your ignorance is now a part of your logic in your argument. The fact that you were ignorant to the fact that he is existed is now part of your argument. Also as someone else said, if you are not interested, just don't contribute to it fair enough.
    In Trap we trust

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    I started this thread because there are very determined fans who are currently battling to help Dave Langan.
    But as usual with this forum, there is always some eejit that talks nonsense.

The fact is that Langan's life was ruined doing the very thing that gave fans so much enjoyment. For that, MOST fans would like to see him rewarded.

Most of his generation have lived on healthy and earned good livings in media etc.
    But Langan spiralled into depression because his injuries, the very ones he sustained breaking his guts for Ireland, and has lived on the bread line ever since.

I wouldn't even respond to fellas like Ciaran who are arguing on a thread even though he doesn't know what he is arguing for cause he never even heard of Langan or his plight.

Just top let people know as well, the 2 fans who have worked so hard over the last few weeks, are meeting with the FAI on Tuesday.
    Very early days, but who knows, maybe something may happen.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mento View Post
    I started this thread because there are very determined fans who are currently battling to help Dave Langan.
    But as usual with this forum, there is always some eejit that talks nonsense.

The fact is that Langan's life was ruined doing the very thing that gave fans so much enjoyment. For that, MOST fans would like to see him rewarded.

Most of his generation have lived on healthy and earned good livings in media etc.
    But Langan spiralled into depression because his injuries, the very ones he sustained breaking his guts for Ireland, and has lived on the bread line ever since.

I wouldn't even respond to fellas like Ciaran who are arguing on a thread even though he doesn't know what he is arguing for cause he never even heard of Langan or his plight.

Just top let people know as well, the 2 fans who have worked so hard over the last few weeks, are meeting with the FAI on Tuesday.
    Very early days, but who knows, maybe something may happen.

Here's hoping and an excellent post

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts

FFS Ciaran, do yourself a favour and read up on the matter. He got his first major injury (knee) while representing Ireland. He'd actually sacrificed pay from his club to play in that match. This was compounded by another injury, this time to his spine, while recovering. This required a spinal fusion operation and the removal of one of his discs aswell as a marrow transplant from his hip into his spine. He had 12 operations on his legs following the original injury. It's not just arthritis.

He was also the first player to miss a testimonial following the increase from 25 caps to be entitled to 50. He had 26. If you knew anything about him and the way he played you'd why he's such a fans favourite at all the clubs he played for and with Ireland supporters. People think the way he was denied a testimonial at the time was pretty shabby and think something should or could be done for him.

As for your rather crass 'hour of need' comment, once again this isn't a new issue and has been spoken about for at least the last decade.
    Last edited by Drumcondra 69er; 26/03/2008 at 10:15 PM.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ciaran, So tell us, do you like Robbie Keane? - or have you not been born yet?

FORMERLY: Youwerethereray Traps Cat's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    If they were injured in the job and forced to retire from it yes, though let me point out the obvious here. Ireland is his country not his employer. Birmingham or Leicester or wherever he played are his employer, and if he was injured in his job then he should have been paid the remainder of his contract which I'm sure he was like 20 years ago.

He's got everything due to him from the sounds of things, I don't see any injustice here. This just seems like a Charity begging more than anything else.

My God lads , is this how cynical we have become. A Man like Dave Lanagan gives blood , sweat and tears for his country and people begrudge him a dig out. One of the last of the "Decent Skins" . A man who turned up for matches even when injured , to remind the manager how much he wanted to play for his country.

A new breed of irish supporter allright. Samba bands, Ian Dempsey and the rest of that rubbish.

Shame on you.
    "The cat is in it, but it's open - and it's a wild cat"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,657 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Youwerethereray View Post
    My God lads , is this how cynical we have become. A Man like Dave Lanagan gives blood , sweat and tears for his country and people begrudge him a dig out. One of the last of the "Decent Skins" . A man who turned up for matches even when injured , to remind the manager how much he wanted to play for his country.

A new breed of irish supporter allright. Samba bands, Ian Dempsey and the rest of that rubbish.

Shame on you.
    agree, top post.

its f*ckin despicable that his entitlement to a testimonial is even being debated. Im 30 and i knew about Langan from collecting posters and sticker albums of the Irish team back in the 80's. Anyone who can remember 1986 should know who Langan is.. an english born bolton fan who recently moved to Sk that im friends with knows who Langan is ffs.

the likes of Ciaran (and his totally obnoxious attitude and posts) and Ruben effin Sosa (and his blatant wummery) make me sick. The really sad thing is i'm sure theyre happy to read that. Any attention is better than none, eh lads?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    the likes of Ciaran (and his totally obnoxious attitude and posts) and Ruben effin Sosa (and his blatant wummery) make me sick.
    Spot on. There should be a "pour tar and throw feathers on Ciaran" emoticon to express my feelings.

At least we have Green Tribe and Babysis. Hope ye're efforts are rewarded girls.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    51 Posts
    Yep, a lot of shyte being said on this thread. I wish we had a few Dave Langans in our team instead of the self obsessed primadonas who play today.
    "Jacques Santini...will be greeted in every dugout of the country by "one-nil, one-nil" - Clive Tyldsley, 89th minute of France-England June 13, 2004.
    "Ooooohhhh Nooooooo" Bobby Robson 91st minute.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I'd never really heard about Dave Langan up until an article about him in one of the recent issues of YBIG, but I would certainly be interested in going to a testimonial of his. I don't really understand the sentiments of some of the posters on this thread; surely if you have no interest in aiding him - and there's no real reason why you should have to - then just stay off the thread instead of hijacking something which is for people who do care to help. Nobody is forcing anything down people's throats FFS.

Anyway, it's sad to hear of his plight and I wish the lads who are attempting to get him a testimonial all the best in their campaign for him.
    My concerns are global. I reject absolutely revenge, aggression, and retaliation. The foundation of such a method, is love. I love you Sheriff Truman.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Reading through all the posts on this thread has me going through all sort of emotions....anger, disgust and bewilderenent.

I laugh when i think of all the ridiculous threads on here about getting the fans to sing some song or the other (and i'm guilty of getting bogged down in some stupid arguments on same threads). To Ciaran and Ruben etc. i'll tell ye one thing ...when Dave Langan was bursting a gut (and many other body parts as it turned out) in the Green jersey, there was no need for silly threads about making up songs or chants....the fans responded to heroes like him and the atmosphere was far better in those days without young lads like yereselves with no sense of history or decency. **** off to Donnybrook on a Friday night and watch Leinster ye dickeheads and i dont care if im banned or not from this forum. Somne of the posts on this thread are an ebarrassment.
    "Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy which sustained him through temporary periods of joy."

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i couldn't agree more, if he needed a life saving operation or a transplant then yes, i could see the point of raising money for the man, but money is not going to cure his painful arthritis. If not a life saving operation, then what is the money being raised for, to give him a comfortable nest egg so he can give up his job? hardly the most magnanimous cause i can think of.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ruben_sosa View Post
    i couldn't agree more, if he needed a life saving operation or a transplant then yes, i could see the point of raising money for the man, but money is not going to cure his painful arthritis. If not a life saving operation, then what is the money being raised for, to give him a comfortable nest egg so he can give up his job? hardly the most magnanimous cause i can think of.
    Obviously yourself and Ciaran are lucky enough to have been born into the new rich Ireland, and you are also lucky not to have witnessed anyone close to you with a serious illness / disease or hatever you may want to call it.

If you could take your head from your a*** for a minute you might cop on that Davy Langan gave more for his country in an afternoon than you will ever do in a lifetime. I just hope for your sake if you ever do end up with an horiffic illness you will meet people with a bit more compassion.

Why have you a problem with others giving their money to help someone in need.

Would a testimonial for Dave even effect you? Or are you just a bitter sad individual with no friends

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast