Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: Gianluigi Buffon

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Gianluigi Buffon

I happened to watch the Serie A match between Juventus and Inter at the weekend, and the commentator mentioned Buffon is suffering from chronic back problems. A bit of googling confirmed this. I think it is very possible that he could wrap up his Azzurri career after Euro 2008.

Could we be so fortunate? Not that I want to wish ill on a great player but Italy's reserve goalkeepers are not of a very high standard.
    "No regrets, none at all. My only regret is that we went out on penalties. That's my only regret. But no, no regrets." -Mick McCarthy

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts
    Francesco Toldo is still a good keeper but I'm not sure if he's retired internationally.

Storari did exceptionally well at Messina the last 2 years. He moved to Milan and didn't really settle but he's still a top keeper. Then there's Marco Amelia as well. They have plenty of options in net.

Ireland just have Given and whoever's the flavour of the month.
    Extratime.ie

Yo te quiero, mi querida. Sin tus besos, yo soy nada.

Abri o portão de ouro, da maquina do tempo.

Mi mamá me hizo guapo, listo y antimadridista.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    462 Posts
    Italy do have top keepers, as stated, Amelia is a really good keeper. Roma is also a decent keeper aswell.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    I don't rate Amelia. It would be interesting if Toldo came back I'm a huge fan of his.
    "No regrets, none at all. My only regret is that we went out on penalties. That's my only regret. But no, no regrets." -Mick McCarthy

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    462 Posts
    Its very hard thing to say that you do not rate him, he is a lot better than people will give him credit for.

Toldo will not be coming back, he is not 1st at Inter and for a country like Italy, you would have to be first choice

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    If Donadoni saw that Copa del Rey game against Juve it would make him think.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    462 Posts
    Firstly, Copa del Rey is the Spanish Cup and secondly, everyone has a bad game at some stage during a season, look at Reina for Liverpool at the weekend, looked solid all season and then had a really bad game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBoss View Post
    Firstly, Copa del Rey is the Spanish Cup and secondly, everyone has a bad game at some stage during a season, look at Reina for Liverpool at the weekend, looked solid all season and then had a really bad game.
    What makes that slip even more sad is I speak Italian

Anyway what I meant was Toldo played brilliantly ... he's up to int'l standard still

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBoss View Post
    Reina had a bad game...jaysus he kept liverpool in the game when it was 1-0 must have made three cracking saves when a utd player was one on one ( ronaldo twice if I do recall)
    Bring back the plank

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    462 Posts
    Yes, but the ball has hit at him rather than him positioning himself.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Cudicini??

Carlo Cudicini should get a look in i feel.Hes one of the best keepers in Europe but hes behind another top class keeper at chelsea so until he gets first team football he probably wont play for them.
    Buffon made 2 good saves last night vrs Spain.Italy are a brick wall in defence,despite losing last night which was to a great strike.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    462 Posts
    I think that Cudicini's small height make's him look better than other keepers when in fact he is just a decent keeper, most keepers can reach the ball when saving it but Carlo stretches at it making it look a good save.

International Prospect DmanDmythDledge's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
    Reina had a bad game...jaysus he kept liverpool in the game when it was 1-0 must have made three cracking saves when a utd player was one on one ( ronaldo twice if I do recall)
    They were very good saves but to make it as a goalkeeper at any level you have to be a good shot stopper. Reina is not good in the air and I don't think those mistakes were uncharacteristic of him.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DmanDmythDledge View Post
    They were very good saves but to make it as a goalkeeper at any level you have to be a good shot stopper. Reina is not good in the air and I don't think those mistakes were uncharacteristic of him.
    I agree..but THEBOSS said he had a bad game against utd..i was stating that he actually had a good game...I agree he has flaws and is lacking in certain areas but he did have a good game against utd
    Bring back the plank