Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Football Academy

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Exclamation Football Academy

I always felt that LOI clubs go out of business because they lack a basic catchment and structure for the supply of local talent, which is supplied by developing a football academy. Obviously Wexford Youths will break that mould and Sporting Fingal will follow with proper academies. The type suggested in Fingal is at a planning stage and will involving 55 junior and youth teams, who don't go out of existence, rather they co-operate together with their local rivals to have their players developed and released back to the club.

Hows about the fans of "established" Dublin teams go and do something to put their houses in order. Actually just do something positive about the state of domestic football rather than whine at Sporting Fingal for potentially taking away some of their fans....
    RA: "Tell you what, I know the lad's got a nudge early doors, but big Heskey's gone down like Buddy Holly there."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    40 Posts

Wink

A man with a bit of common sense, Too much b*tching from other more established club's supporters about sporting. A club is trying to do it right and they get slagged off. Shels fans moaning because they say sporting took santry stadium and also they say it was shels who where to move to Turvey avenue. Well the fact of the matter is if you did run your clubs properly maybe there wouldnt be a need for sporting, But here we are
    Last edited by Lamper.sffc; 18/03/2008 at 4:05 PM.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ja!

Quote Originally Posted by Lamper.sffc View Post
    A man with a bit of common sense, Too much b*tching from other more established club's supporters about sporting. A club is trying to do it right and they get slagged off. Shels fans moaning because they say sporting took santry stadium and also they say it was shels who where to move to Turvey avenue. Well the fact of the matter is if you did run your clubs properly maybe there wouldnt be a need for sporting, But here we are

Thanks for chiming in. Not many people know this but the Council did everything it could for of 6 years to get up to three "prominent" LOI clubs to locate in Fingal. Sporting Fingal was born out of the realisation that none would come because their Boards/fans were being political about what they'd get/loose if they moved. One of these clubs played at Santry before and left significant rent arrears with the Council, one other was making promises it could not keep because of the poor state of its finances, one other couldn't decide where it wanted to be once it sold its existing ground keeping numerous options "open" an not making an actual committment.

The LOI clubs are run by messers in the main. What would be best for domestic football in ireland is if all the existing clubs folded and new entities were set up so reforms could be installed from the get-go. These reforms are:
    - own and finance YOUR OWN stadium
    - set up a football academy with strong links to 50-60 junior clubs
    - have a well defined cathment area so that businesses are interested and that fans have some kind of sense of community

Sporting Fingal and wexford youths are the only two clubs that are "sustainable"
    RA: "Tell you what, I know the lad's got a nudge early doors, but big Heskey's gone down like Buddy Holly there."

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    What are you talking about ?
    First off, Shels were never going to move to Turvey Avenue.

Secondly, do you think Sporting Fingal are going to be the first club in the country with youth teams Shelbourne have 17 very successful junior teams playing at different ages and some of the current squad have come up through those teams.

If you go the Wexford route you'll never get promoted.
    In fact your current set up couldn't be more different to Wexford! You're already out bidding other teams for certain players!!

Care to mention what the weekly wage bill is at Sporting Fingal ?
    John Delaney!! GET OUT!!!
    www.ssdg.ie

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

clarify

My information says that the late Ollie Byrne was looking at Turvey, but also another site closer to Swords centre.

Shelbourne might have a lot of youth teams but its not an academy in the proper sense. A big set of reforms in football development passed by most LOI clubs and fans. New coaching methods are still not implemented.

The similarity to Wexford is not currently there if you mean that our academy isn't open yet. But the two teams are set up in similar ways and will be similar.

Obviously some top class talent was bought in to kick-start the club. The wage bill is probably one of the highest in the 1st, but still a lot of guys with big wages at Tolka Park.

You only focussed on one of my points - what about owning your own stadium, putting roots into one community. I used to watch shelbourne a bit when they played at the dog-track in Harolds X. All LOI clubs are rootless because they have no sense of community.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Ollie was talking about a site on the Hearse Road at Lissenhall, never Turvey Avenue. We never had the kind of money to build a stadium there anyway so it was never a runner.
    I agree owning your own ground is what has to happen but Shels are not in a position to go buying land and forking out to build a stadium.

and whats this about Shels having high paid players ???
    You must have a very different opinion of high wages to the one I have. We're a part time club operating on a 39 paying weeks of the year and our wage bill is about one fifth of what it was in 2006 when we paid players over 52 weeks and is about 1K to 2K a week lower than what it was in 2007.

I wish you the best of luck, I'm actually one of the few who think that Sporting Fingal will be a success if the move to Swords happens but I fail to see the link with Wexford ?? Wexford have plenty of players who don't get paid too!

I guess you don't know what the weekly wage bill at Sporting Fingal is ??
    www.ssdg.ie

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    83 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by higgins View Post
    I guess you don't know what the weekly wage bill at Sporting Fingal is ??
    Heard from the dad of one of the players on Sunday that Liam Buckley was given 1 million to spend

Follow Us on Facebook and Twitter

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    40 Posts
    What does the wage bill of the players have to do with it.

The fact still remains that if shels was run properly they would not be where they are and yes they where looking at turvey avenue (have a reliable source) and swords area.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    It has a lot to do with it. On one hand I'm hearing that you're going to have a football academy and players in youth teams will come up through the ranks and on the other hand I've heard stories about Liam Buckley being told to sign who he wants.

I think your idea of a fairytale under 5 player going up through the ages and making the first team is never going to happen. You're either going to buy in the talent (which is fair enough) or you're going to play local lads and finish second from bottom with Wexford every season ??

You can't have it both ways.

What are you talking about with looking at Turvey Avenue for Shels ?? and the Swords area ??
    As I mentioned, we never had the money to build a stadium and we still don't have the money to build a stadium.
    www.ssdg.ie

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    40 Posts
    I said looking at. I didnt say for definite. The council where willing to help out just like they are with SF.

Why not both ways. Strong youth system that brings players through to the first team and then buy the experienced or extra quality you need. Makes perfect sense to me.

On a much larger scale but still the same mentality, this is what arsenal have done. Working ok for them.

Fingal council went to Rosenberg football club in norway to see how they run there club. If SF are using some of Rosenberg's ideas then that might not be a bad thing. They dominate Norwegian football and regularly qualify for champions league group stages. All this from an area similar in population size to fingal.

International Prospect DmanDmythDledge's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Santry_Goonshow View Post
    All LOI clubs are rootless because they have no sense of community.
    That's the most ridiculous comment I've read on this thread. While that may be true for the Dublin clubs (although I wouldn't be 100% sure on that), partly due to the number of teams in the city, it certainly isn't true for other EL teams. Clubs such as Cork, Galway and Derry have great links with their community and the people that are working behind the scenes at those clubs deserve a lot of credit for the large crowds that attend their games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    47 Posts
    Some very veiled compliments towards the Youths in these posts One minute we are doing the right thing by building slowly, keeping finances in check, being community based and then we are being criticised for not achieving immediate success on the field. If success is to come in this County, which has never had senior representation in league football, it has to be done with solid foundations and not with a Peter Ridsdale approach.
    I will gladly congratulate Sporting Fingal if they achieve on field success before us but I will be happy, for the time being, just seeing our club develop and gather support

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Santry_Goonshow View Post
    Sporting Fingal was born out of the realisation that none would come because their Boards/fans were being political about what they'd get/loose if they moved.

Sporting Fingal and wexford youths are the only two clubs that are "sustainable"
    Obvious you know nothing of Sportings genesis.

What is sustainable in terms of senior domestic club football that Sporting or Wexford have above others?
    http://pix.ie/widgets/generate/accou...000-F5F5FF.jpg

"It's time for the FAI to grow up." John O'Donoghue, Minister for Sport, RTE , Sunday 7 Nov 2004

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Sorry, to leap to my own defence I am well informed and I have on good authority that the late Ollie Byrne recieved a huge amount of help from the Council getting shown sites, being introduced to local "promoters", and talking to te Sports Department about how a LOI club was needed as the ultimate destination for the academy. Shelbourne were within a whisker of being Sporting Fingal but bottled it.

As regards football academies I know very well what I'm talking about I lived in Wood Green in London where the local authority built a massive football academy. The area was a bit deprived and the academy helped in a massive way to reduce crime and it was used by 23 local teams to improve (deep breathe) adult coaches, refereeing, team tactics, ball skills, physical development, physical fitness, sports psychology, correct use of clothing and equipment, diet, sports injuries, goalkeeping. I went in with a youth team and it was brilliant, you could see the improvement in players after 2 days! There are also football philosophies available like Coerver and Salou which emphasise confidence building - age and physique appropriate skills instead of the traditional irish youth football philosophy which I have heard local coaches on the Northside saying to 15 yo's

"keek de fookin ball ya muppe', ah try gaelic yer brootal a' dis "

I'm a bit miffed to see some LOI fans here assuming that there are set levels of skill. i.e. you dismiss out of hand that Fingal will be a net contributor to the skills in the league. Don't try this with me. It means I will have to gloat in about 5 years time when Sporting Fingal has a team full of academy graduates.

Oh, and if ppl think we are going to fail why do most LOI fans not want us to exist?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    47 Posts
    What is sustainable in terms of senior domestic club football that Sporting or Wexford have above others?[/quote]

Wexford are sustainable because they have no debt (thanks Mick), low wage bill, top class facilities that generate additional income outside of match day revenue, a hungry audience (yes, I know the football has to improve to sustain high crowd numbers) and the fact they have been established at a time when it appears the Eircom league has improved it's management and promotion of the game. We have a very successful youth set up and the shirt carries 3 stars over the crest to represent the titles they have won.
    I'm not saying other clubs don't have these features as well but I'm sure a few would like to start over again with a clean slate
    Last edited by oldyouth; 19/03/2008 at 7:54 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts
    Just wondering when the new stadium in Swords will be built. Has a site been located? From what I heard SF have a 2 year lease in Morton. Will any other EL club be joining them in the future in Morton? Just wondering. Think the club is a good idea, especially if you can get the clubs in the area to row in behind you, however I did hear certain clubs complaining about the money being spent on SF compared to the lack of facilities for some local clubs.
    Always look on the bright side of life

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by drummerboy View Post
    Just wondering when the new stadium in Swords will be built. Has a site been located? From what I heard SF have a 2 year lease in Morton. Will any other EL club be joining them in the future in Morton? Just wondering. Think the club is a good idea, especially if you can get the clubs in the area to row in behind you, however I did hear certain clubs complaining about the money being spent on SF compared to the lack of facilities for some local clubs.
    Yes, you are right I think - Morton will be used (owned by the Council) for 2-3 years. The new stadium, form my understanding, will be built very close to the northern most stop of the Metro but not far from the academy at Turvey. I'm not 100% sure but I think the Councillors are yet to approve the site for the academy. I don't know how well developed the plans are for the stadium. Reading quotes from John O'Brien (club secretary) in the Indo you get the feeling that the stadium is still a work in progress. He spoke about a 10,000 all seater but then said something about this being tempered with realism about the likely size of the fanbase.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    For the record, I want Sporting Fingal to be a success and I don't want any football club to go out of business.
    My problem with what you are saying is you think that Fingal for some reason are going to bring through a load of players of LOI quality.

Have you any idea of the youth setups are current clubs ???

If these players are as good as you seem to think they will be on a plane at 16 and playing for english clubs. You won't have the pick of the players no matter what amount of money you pay them. I can only speak about Shelbourne but every year we have players who go across to english clubs rather than fight to get into the Shelbourne first team. You're left with very few that will make the grade at the top of the LOI. IF you want to be like Wexford and success is not high up your list of priorities then you'll do ok but if you want to compete for silverware you're never going to have the talent coming through a youth system as the best of them will be across the water at age 16.

I'm not saying buying players is an issue, it's part of football but you seem to think you're more like a Wexford than a Drogheda.

You're not!!!

You're spending more than most LOI first division teams on wages.

The last stop on the metro is Lissenhall isn't it ??
    You put a stadium there you're screwed,, as you would be if you use the academy site on Turvey avenue. The upcoming LAP for Swords should provide you with a better piece of land in a more central location. If that happens then I believe you will be successful but only through continued spending of money and buying your way to some success while you wait for the stadium to be built. As long as you have a backer there's nothing wrong with spending money.
    www.ssdg.ie

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    22 Posts
    The reason people give out about new clubs is rubbish like this thread. Coming on here and saying that all other clubs should fold because they arent community based clubs with huge academys and then preaching about how great Sporting Fingal and Wexford are really annoys fans of the more established clubs.

I really want both Wexford and Sporting to succeed because they are both trying to grow ''organically'' without throwing stupid money that they have not got around.

For the record UCD have a football in the community/Academy which has just been launched. Within a couple of years we will be as much a part of the local community as any club in this country. Its taken us a long time to plan,develop and finance this project but we know that long term it will be worth it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    47 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by higgins View Post
    . IF you want to be like Wexford and success is not high up your list of priorities then you'll do ok but if you want to compete for silverware you're never going to have the talent coming through a youth system as the best of them will be across the water at age 16.
    I can't keep explaining the set up at The Youths. We do want success but don't expect it immediately. And certainly not at the expense of setting down sustainable foundations

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast