Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Venables: drink-drive Dunphy cost me job

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Venables: drink-drive Dunphy cost me job

Terry Venables has launched an astonishing attack on Eamon Dunphy, asking "how can a self-confessed cocaine-user and convicted drink-driver lecture me on my character?"

Venables, in an in-depth interview in today's Sunday Independent, also attacks the FAI, accusing them of being "frightened" of Dunphy and claims that the three-man panel appointed to find Steve Staunton's successor was merely "decoration".

http://www.independent.ie/national-n...b-1318894.html

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    71 Posts
    Article by Dion Fanning, surprise, surprise. Let it go, now the frightening prospect of Venables has been consigned to the deep recesses of our memories we couldn't care less.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Well all I can say is thank god for Dunphy's "hysterical" "recklessness" , accordig to El Tel, only for it we'd have Terry and not Trap. Cant fault him on his comments on Givens though.
    "Are those my feet" Fr Jack Hackett

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    87 Posts
    Here is a link to the full article

http://www.independent.ie/sport/socc...e-1318986.html
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist thinks it will change; the realist adjusts the sails.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts
    Terry who?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,376 Posts
    Not quite sure what to make of it to be honest.

Lines like "Venables sat down in a Knightsbridge hotel still contaminated from the toxic half-life of Dunphy's attack on RTE last November" immediately turned me off it. It does seem like he didn't get a fair crack of the whip, and the legitimate lateness of Givens for his interview is over-emphasised.

He has watched Dunphy's polemic on YouTube, enraged as he stated "facts" which Venables contests and he reveals his determination to fight Dunphy's toxicity with his own when he reflects on Dunphy questioning his character. "How can a self-confessed cocaine user who has been banned for drink driving and driving without insurance lecture me on my character?"
    What "facts" that Dunphy quoted were wrong? I said at the time that Dunphy had done his homework on Venables, and everything he listed was correct. It was a refreshing change from the Dunph, who usually just rants, stream of consciousness style.

The only failure of Venables that is gone into, in any detail, is at Leeds. Crystal Palace and Portsmouth (who he nearly drove to extinction) are only mentioned in passing. The lad who was with me at the meet up before the Germany game is a big Palace fan, and he has some words for Venables' time there.

Hyland wrote in the Herald, immediately after Trapattoni was appointed, that Venables should be applauded for his "dignified silence", despite having an interview in the Independent the previous Sunday - http://www.independent.ie/sport/othe...b-1286433.html - there is no name on the archived article, but is it a coincidence it also appeared in the Independent?

All in all, the only really interesting thing in the whole article is that Givens was late for the interview, the rest seems to be one long rant about Venables not getting the job. Considering it's by Dion Fanning, who championed Venables from Day 1, that's not surprising.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    ....Considering it's by Dion Fanning, who championed Venables from Day 1, that's not surprising.
    Another feeble attempt by Fanning to snipe at the FAI.

Unless there was a large 'wedge' handed over from the Indo, I am surprised Venables has allowed himself to get involved in such an undignified farce. The bottom line is that Venables did not get the job and most people could not care less about his views on Dunphy or the process.
    Honest! I am not a secret Tim nor a closet Sham - I really am a Seagull.

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    790 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Superhoops View Post
    The bottom line is that Venables did not get the job and most people could not care less about his views on Dunphy or the process.
    Exactly. A large majority of the fans didn't want Vegetables and to say that Drunkphy's outburst was the cause of him not getting the job is nonsense. The FAI aren't TOTAL dimwits and would have been aware of Vegetable's background and while his name was in the hat, Drunkphy had nothing to do with his non-appointment imho.
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts
    I hope the both of them slug it out in the libel courts and both their characters will be irreparably damaged. I detest the two of these chancers and the more mud-slinging, the better.
    Extratime.ie

Yo te quiero, mi querida. Sin tus besos, yo soy nada.

Abri o portão de ouro, da maquina do tempo.

Mi mamá me hizo guapo, listo y antimadridista.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,746 Posts
    Well done foot.ie for arming Dunphy with his facts and opinions on the matter and for standing up to Fanning's propoganda.

Edit: just read the full interview. In fairness to RTE Giles countered a lot of Dunphy's points. Venables definitiely has a point about Dunphy criticising his character though, pots and kettle colours and all that.

Very interesting, if true, just how poor the interview questions were (no questions on what he'd do???) and just how poor the interview conditions were (a hotel lobby FFS).
    Last edited by Stuttgart88; 16/03/2008 at 6:09 PM.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,922 Posts
    Footie had all the facts prepared from as long ago as Nov 2005. Although the vast majority had made their minds up before Dunphy's rant, you can't dismiss the effect of his rant on the non selection of Venables.
    The selection process turned into the search for anybody but Venables.
    But I reckon if Houllier wasn't there to fill a few weeks of speculation before Trap, then Venables may well have gotten the dream job.

Overall the article is very poorly constructed. It's a shockingly bad example of sports journalism.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts
    he has every right to defend himself to be honest. article was a bit of a puff piece but he was hardly going to agree to anything but. agree with comments re interview. sounds a bit haphazard.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    41 Posts
    I didnt want Veneables to get the job, but he is more qualified to be Ireland manager than Dunphy, an idiot with no background knowledge or experience of top class football, is to be a tv pundit. If Veneables suing Dunphy gets that **** off our screens, then i hope he goes ahead.

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    922 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RiffRaff View Post
    I didnt want Veneables to get the job, but he is more qualified to be Ireland manager than Dunphy, an idiot with no background knowledge or experience of top class football, is to be a tv pundit. If Veneables suing Dunphy gets that **** off our screens, then i hope he goes ahead.
    So would you rather we have someone like Jamie Rednapp on RTE, someone that never critisizes anyone and thinks that all the world of football is brilliant. Lets face it Dunphy is great to watch on TV whether u like him or hate him. No he didnt have the power to convince the FAI not to go for Venables but he did voice the opinion of most fans. Personally I like Eammon even if he does go over the top sometimes.... but football on TV would be an awful lot less interesting without him

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    I've always thought Dunphy was a bit of a tool but if this is true and his rantings were the sole reason that Trappatoni was offered the job over Venables then I must express my deepest gratitude to Eamo. The man's a legend. All is forgiven.
    Last edited by youngirish; 17/03/2008 at 11:17 AM.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    587 Posts
    eamonn dunphy is the ian paisley of irish football

terry venables is bertie ahern

perhaps they deserve one another

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Has somebody photo shopped TV's head, it looks large compared to the rest of his body.

Yesterdays man, in hindsight would of been a better appointment than Staunton but the fact that nobody else was seriously considering him says it all really. Time to move on with the Trapattoni revolution. (its his birthday today so if he is reading this Happy Birthday)
    Last edited by Newryrep; 17/03/2008 at 12:40 PM.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ciaran View Post
    Giles is someone who strikes me as a complete spoofer. I lost all respect for him during the 2006 world cup when he was commentating the opening Germany game with prerehearsed "team in decline" comments showing no knowledge whatsoever of the players he was commentating on.
    Erm....
    My concerns are global. I reject absolutely revenge, aggression, and retaliation. The foundation of such a method, is love. I love you Sheriff Truman.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Newryrep View Post
    Time to move on with the Trapattoni revolution. (its his birthday today so if he is reading this Happy Birthday)
    I didn't know that until now, that's another major positive omen that he was born on Paddy's day

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ciaran View Post
    Dunphy is a bit extreme but I generally find that he has good opinions and generally knows what he's talking about. Ditto Brady. Giles is someone who strikes me as a complete spoofer. I lost all respect for him during the 2006 world cup when he was commentating the opening Germany game with prerehearsed "team in decline" comments showing no knowledge whatsoever of the players he was commentating on.

If you reckon Giles is a spoofer you know less than I do about football which is less than almost nothing Giles is one of the best analyists in the world and is consistent unlike Dunphy who changes his opinion as quick as the weather
    Fair Play died Nov 18th 2009, Stade Francais.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast