Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 14 of 19 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Damien Delaney

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    559 Posts
    If an Irish player gets his leg clipped like that I would hope to get a penalty.

2. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    And I'd hope he'd fall over too just to make sure!

4. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    If Delaney hadn't gone on the mitch from our team, I might have been more supportive.

But he's in that category 'can be hung out to dry'.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by seanfhear View Post
    If an Irish player gets his leg clipped like that I would hope to get a penalty.
    for leg read studs... at most.
    contact was minimal and its 98% a dive

International Prospect tricky_colour's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    There was some contact but not much, however it does not take much contact to affect a players balance
    and knock him out of his stride, he probably decided to take a dive rather than stay on his feet, and I guess that
    is his prerogative if he is clipped in the penalty area.

He went down like he had took a bullet to the head!!

Delaney has to get the ball there if he is going to clip the player.

8. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    576 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    I think it was enough to trip Benteke. His fall did not look in any way simulated, it was an organic fall.
    Yep and everybody knows you pay a lot more for organic goods!

10. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    I don't see any contact. Diving in rashly or tentatively isn't enough to concede a penalty if there's no contact.

It's as egregious as the most egregious penalties ever awarded to Robert Pires or Ashley Young.

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    646 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheOneWhoKnocks View Post
    Diving in rashly or tentatively isn't enough to concede a penalty if there's no contact.
    I wouldn't have given the penalty against Delaney, similiarly I wouldn't have given it for Duff in 2002. But that's because of my interpretation of the rules. By the letter of the law, another refs interpretation could be that both were penalties and the quote above is incorrect:
    Quote Originally Posted by Laws of the game
    A direct free kick is awarded to the opposing team if a player commits any
    of the following seven offences in a manner considered by the referee to be
    careless, reckless or using excessive force:
    • kicks or attempts to kick an opponent
    • trips or attempts to trip an opponent
    • jumps at an opponent
    • charges an opponent
    • strikes or attempts to strike an opponent
    • pushes an opponent
    • tackles an opponent

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Dunphy being rather dramatic as he describes Delaney's absence from the squad as "wrong": http://www.the42.ie/wrong-eamon-dunp...59909-Mar2016/

Quote Originally Posted by The42.ie
    Speaking on 2fm’s Game On show, Dunphy said that the Crystal Palace defender’s absence from the 40-man panel is “wrong” and added that he was impressed with Delaney’s performance in the FA Cup quarter-final against Reading on Friday night.

“It’s wrong!” Dunphy said. “This guy’s playing in the Premier League. He’s a very good player. He’s been in the Premier League all year.

“We have Paul McShane, who’s playing for Reading, who’s really not a very good defender.

“The guy at Derby County, (Richard) Keogh, is really not a very good defender — he’s had a couple of nightmares.

“And we’ve got a Premier League player and we’re not even putting him on the plane?”

Dunphy suggested Delaney — who announced his international retirement last year — was being ostracised from the squad due to disagreements with the management.

“It’s not right for the fans, it’s not right for the other players, this guy should be in the team really, and he should certainly be in the squad.

“Just because he had some difference or misunderstanding with Martin O’Neill it is not right that the Irish team should be deprived of a player, because of personal differences.

“It should not be happening. This guy’s top class. We don’t have any Premier League defenders apart from John O’Shea. The other guy from Stoke (Marc Wilson) is injured.”
    Delaney's a decent player but not quite sure the 35-year-old is "top class". Anyhow, he isn't being ostracised, nor are there "personal differences", which invariably possesses antagonistic, contrary or egotistical connotations. He made it clear he didn't want to be a part of the squad during qualifying as Martin couldn't guarantee him a starting place (or a position higher up the pecking order, or something along those lines, if memory serves me right?). That's entirely reasonable of Martin; nobody should be guaranteed a starting place.

There's no misunderstanding at present, nor was there ever. Both parties are aware of the position of the other; Martin would just rather continue selecting players who helped us qualify or players who have an actual future, such as Shane Duffy. That's also perfectly reasonable. Throwing Delaney in now at the last minute might damage squad morale; Martin is the best judge of that.

14. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    It shouldn't even be a discussion, only the likes of Dunphy and others who crave controversy are trying to make it one. This is only last August ffs:

Quote Originally Posted by Damien Delaney
    I know that at the age of 34 the future of Irish football does not lie with me, the rigours of premier league football and the 24/7 dedication required takes its toll so I look on the international break as a chance to recover

16. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    I would bring Delaney along personally. And I think players should focus on their own performances rather than worry about someone "taking" their spot.

But, in all fairness Delaney himself said a few weeks ago that his main focus was on earning a contract extension with Palace. Anything else was secondary importance.

So I do think it's a bit of a non-issue. Certainly not as egregious as all those times Andy Reid or Wes Hoolahan were left out of squads when they shouldn't have been. And when Coleman and McCarthy's progress was delayed much longer than it should have been.
    Last edited by TheOneWhoKnocks; 16/03/2016 at 12:54 PM.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    I don't think it would be fair on Delaney to take him to the Euros. He needs the summer to recover.

19. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    576 Posts
    Dunphy does not seem to understand the importance of a group dynamic. O'Neill, I believe, is very conscious of it. Hence him bringing Given back, keeping Keane as captain. These are all good squad members who will galvanise the others and are good to have around the group as well as being useful players. Delaney coming back in could cause some consternation to some of the players on the periphery who have been in Germany, Georgia, Poland, Scotland, Gibraltar and friendly games for the past two years. Not good for a group dynamic.
    I'm going to go out on a limb and say that O'Neill is a better man-manager than Dunphy.

Put it this way - other than Delaney (and even still he wants to come back), O'Neill doesn't seem to have fallen out with anyone since taking over. Not even Westwood, who has gone from potential first choice to possibly 4th choice keeper for us.
    Folding my way into the big money!!!

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    All that needs to be understood is that Delaney just happens to be the player left out of the squad, therefore he becomes Dunphy's current cause celebre.

22. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    576 Posts
    True. Remember when Hoolahan was left out v Poland because he told the manager he wasn't up to it because he was carrying a knock. Dunphy went nuts and Wes confirmed a couple of weeks later that that's exactly what happened. That's a player who puts the team first and is working for the team. Something I feel Dunphy doesn't seem to understand.
    If Hoolahan had started that game and not been up to it and made a mistake he would have been a real villain. Of course Dunphy would never admit that.
    Part of me still loves Dunphy though baby.
    Folding my way into the big money!!!

24. Thanks From:

International Prospect tricky_colour's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    I have mixed feelings I recognise he is a good player but to not play in the qualifiers and then expect to play
    in the finals really is taking the ****, it is not fair on those who did play and of course it
    would set a precedent where players who play in the qualifier maybe be left thinking
    if we do qualify I probably won't be going anyway, which is a massive disincentive.

26. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    ...except that Wilson is injured.

I think it's kind of understandable that a guy can agree with his international manager that there's no point turning up if not a first choice if he is at the end of his career and benefits from resting during international breaks. If he threw a hissy fit and demanded to be picked I'd say no way but if it was an honest agreement between him and MON I think its ok to consider a recall. It's of practical benefit and a far cry from a Stephen Ireland situation.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Got motm at The Emirates today I believe, didn't see much of it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,311 Posts
    the game against Arsenal was his 150th appearance for the eagles
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Page 14 of 19 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast