Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Damien Delaney

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    779 Posts
    I thought he did well last night. Ok, the opposition might not have been up to much but certainly put in a creditable perfomance in an area where we are not exactly awash with talent.
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

2. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,306 Posts
    Trapattoni said before the Macedonia game that he was picked over Clark because he is a "stopper" type of defender, and he definitely played that role last night with some clearances early on
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    It was O'Dea who played against Macedonia, wasn't it?

I thought Delaney made some good challenges and dominated physically but he and Kelly were caught out quite a few times by Feeney's runs in the first half and McGinn late on. I think Delaney will start with O'Shea in Macedonia though.

5. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,306 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    It was O'Dea who played against Macedonia, wasn't it?

I thought Delaney made some good challenges and dominated physically but he and Kelly were caught out quite a few times by Feeney's runs in the first half and McGinn late on. I think Delaney will start with O'Shea in Macedonia though.
    crap, you're right. Delaney wasn't even involved! I'm an idiot, ignore the above
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    672 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    crap, you're right. Delaney wasn't even involved! I'm an idiot, ignore the above
    The mask of authority slips!
    Ou-est le Centre George Pompidou?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    192 Posts
    Damien Delaney straight into the Crystal Palace team today for his debut after being released by Ipswich earlier this week.
    "There's man all over for you, blaming on his boots the fault of his feet" - Samuel Beckett, Waiting for Godot

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,627 Posts
    Scores 3rd goal of the season for Palace. I think it was a header from a corner.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Good on him, is he good enough for the EPL though?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,627 Posts
    I think he could do reasonably well AB. He has always impressed me since his early days in the LOI and in his irish appearances. Actually his is one of the ommissions by Trap that ****ed me off in his first couple of years after what i thought were a couple of very promising performances. Pity he is 31 now.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Aye, hope you're right.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,690 Posts
    Not a bad age for a CB.

International Prospect tricky_colour's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    Yes Susan Boyle was nearly 50 before she hit the big time.

15. Thanks From:

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,093 Posts
    Very solid today. Coped with Deeney well though his pace seemed to be slightly more threatening in extra-time but Delaney coped well and got some crucial blocks in in the second half.

A few pictures sum up his post-match emotions : http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/foo...promotion.html

17. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,627 Posts
    thats bloody brilliant.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,093 Posts
    My favourite one is when he's on his knees with arms spread as wide as possible in front of the podium. Such sheer elation in everything he's doing in that picture.

Having played in the Premiership for Leicester so long ago and having played constantly with clubs over the past few years who have all had Premiership spells before and/or after his arrival and departure, it must be some emotion.

I often wonder how managers find it in themselves to move on players in these situations. Everyone surely wants their stab at the Premiership having worked to gain promotion.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts
    Winning promotion for a lot of these lads is like turkeys voting for Christmas. Most of them will be out the door come July
    Always look on the bright side of life

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,306 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Olé Olé View Post
    Very solid today. Coped with Deeney well though his pace seemed to be slightly more threatening in extra-time but Delaney coped well and got some crucial blocks in in the second half.

A few pictures sum up his post-match emotions : http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/foo...promotion.html
    He picked up a knock in extra time, but they had already used up all three subs, so he couldn't come off

International Prospect tricky_colour's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by drummerboy View Post
    Winning promotion for a lot of these lads is like turkeys voting for Christmas. Most of them will be out the door come July
    Maybe but you would think there would be a lot of teams eager to sign them up.

I am always a bit puzzled about clubs kicking out the players who won them promotion, seems crazy as basically they will more
    than likely be signing up the players booted out when their club got relegated from the Premiership!
    Every new signing is a risk but the player you have are proven performers in your team, if it ain't broke don't fix it?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts
    He was very solid in the game yesterday, i'd be surprised to see him lose his place. I think Palace will need to focus any signings on attacking players. With Zaha leaving, yesterday proved they're pretty toothless in front of goal without their main man. Philips is too old so they really have only one serious attacking player. Their defence is solid enough. The only one i'd be worried about is Garvan, not sure at this point but i think the championship may be his standard unless he can up his game next season.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,093 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rebelmusic View Post
    He was very solid in the game yesterday, i'd be surprised to see him lose his place. I think Palace will need to focus any signings on attacking players. With Zaha leaving, yesterday proved they're pretty toothless in front of goal without their main man. Philips is too old so they really have only one serious attacking player. Their defence is solid enough. The only one i'd be worried about is Garvan, not sure at this point but i think the championship may be his standard unless he can up his game next season.
    Delaney is safe, I would say. McCarthy should be worried but if he has a contract then I'm sure he won't be too quick to pass up the PL.

They definitely need reinforcements in attack (Ward looks good enough for the PL and Delaney and Ramage will get their chances) but I think Garvan will get his chance, similar to Hoolahan at Norwich. It appears Holloway has faith in him and if he's not afforded a substantial budget and required to hunt for bargains like at Blackpool then I'm sure having Garvan in place will be superior to some of the journeymen continental players he brought in during that stint in the PL.

At worst, Garvan can surely hope for being a squad player next season. I can't see someone like Aaron Wilbraham having any form of impact in the PL, whereas a contribution from Garvan could occur and I think he'll be given the chance accordingly.

Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast