Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: This Weeks Albums Playlist

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    214 Posts
    I've been listening to White Denim (new album out next month), Fleet Foxes and the Black Lip's latest. I bought the Dove's Kingdom of Rust but it's not appealing so far. Maybe a grower? Anybody bought the Grizzly Bears album? Worth a purchase?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    50 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shakermaker1982 View Post
    I've been listening to White Denim (new album out next month), Fleet Foxes and the Black Lip's latest. I bought the Dove's Kingdom of Rust but it's not appealing so far. Maybe a grower? Anybody bought the Grizzly Bears album? Worth a purchase?
    Yup, and its fantastic, try the Decemberists latest and another excellent album is the newest by The Low Anthem.....3 quality listens, have virtually ignored everything else on my iPod since I got these

Looking forward to the new White Denim album too, not usually the kind of stuff I listen to but its infectious!
    You show me a good loser and I'll show you a loser - Vince Lombardi

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    17 Posts
    2 new monstrosities from the edge of the oncoming apocalypse on rotation herewise:

sunn o))) - "monoliths and dimensions" (as imposing and doomed as it sounds)
    current 93 - "aleph at hallucinatory mountain" (ditto)

great great rock music
    zombie/thread killer..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts
    Kasabian - West Rider Pauper Lunatic Asylum

Insane title for an album. Fire is a real grower, and apart from a few fillers, it's pretty good. Underdog is a class track.
    'Fascists dress in black and go round telling people what to do, where as priests.....'

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts
    Listening to Placebo, Battle for the Sun, was expecting to be disappointed but it's surprisingly good, up there with their best.
    'Fascists dress in black and go round telling people what to do, where as priests.....'

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    115 Posts
    Have been giving Veckatimest by Grizzly Bear a whirl over the last few days.
    Very good, not sure yet if it's quite as good as people are saying it is, but am liking it muchly.

The Pains Of Being Pure At Heart are up next, and the Yeah Yeah Yeahs' new one, so well shod for the next while.
    more bass

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts
    I've just discovered Fleet Foxes and am pleasantly surprised.
    Always look on the bright side of life

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    50 Posts
    Anyone else picked up The Animal Collective's latest - Merriweather Post Pavillion...its frickin brilliant, not sure I've heard anything as good this year
    You show me a good loser and I'll show you a loser - Vince Lombardi

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    115 Posts
    Got it a while back on Ken Foree's recommendation, pretty damn good alright.

Not quite as good as The Pains Of Being Pure At Heart, but that's just nostalgia winning out.
    An album full of Ecstasy & Wine-era MBV, with a pinch of the Mary Chain, The Sundays and The Pastels thrown in is always going to win there.
    more bass

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts
    Revisiting Blur's back catalog, and Blur & 13 have aged really well, Modern Life Is Rubbish is still relevant. But still disliking The Great Escape and cant see myself ever liking it...

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    As a result of another thread on here I have pulled out a number of albums from the late eighties and early nineties mainly Irish and gave them a twirl.....

The stars of Heaven , golden horde, cactus world news the blades, Waterboys ( big mention to their song 'Gala'..wonderful piece of work)

brought back great memories and I found it a welcome diversion from the current crop...not better neccessarily but more meaningful to me as they were my formative years and probably more poignant now as we move into recessionary times again
    Bring back the plank

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
    The stars of Heaven , golden horde, cactus world news the blades, Waterboys ( big mention to their song 'Gala'..wonderful piece of work)
    Some great stuff there, i got the Blades double re-issued CD a few years back & it still sounds great, I had Something Happens & A House on in the car last week going back to your youth is very refreshing sometimes

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    17 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stann View Post
    Got it a while back on Ken Foree's recommendation, pretty damn good alright.

Not quite as good as The Pains Of Being Pure At Heart, but that's just nostalgia winning out.
    An album full of Ecstasy & Wine-era MBV, with a pinch of the Mary Chain, The Sundays and The Pastels thrown in is always going to win there.
    haaa good stuff wangball and stann, glad youse like the AC album. been listening to them for a while, you might want to check "sung tongs" or their vocalist panda bear's solo record "person pitch" - both have similar qualities to merriweather p.p., the former more folk driven, the latter more beach boys, 70s, sunny, and E.

not sure myself stann (think it was you?) about this grizzly bear phenomenon. "veckatimest" seems a bit too... refined or safe. as if every note and backing vocal has been exactly and minutely arranged in place. and their (sometimes cool, sometimes baffling) left-turns come across as a little too self-consciously oblique, if that makes any sense? once i've pigeon-holed them into sounding like robert wyatt or brian wilson they stick a melodic change in to keep things off-kilter. no bad thing, they are a progressive band and seem talented but i think they're holding something back and would love to see them get a little more noisy, loose and unhinged (they probably do live, but anyway).
    zombie/thread killer..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    231 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
    As a result of another thread on here I have pulled out a number of albums from the late eighties and early nineties mainly Irish and gave them a twirl.....

brought back great memories and I found it a welcome diversion from the current crop...not better neccessarily but more meaningful to me as they were my formative years and probably more poignant now as we move into recessionary times again
    Stars of Heaven are the best Irish band there's ever been, in my humble opinion. Even 20 odd years later their stuff still stands up. Genuinely great, great music.The Blades were great too. Cactus World News on the other hand, well just take the first 3 letters of their name and it sums them up.
    Out for a spell, got neglected, lay on the bench unselected.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyD View Post
    Stars of Heaven are the best Irish band there's ever been, in my humble opinion. Even 20 odd years later their stuff still stands up. Genuinely great, great music.The Blades were great too. Cactus World News on the other hand, well just take the first 3 letters of their name and it sums them up.
    I agree..just had all of them together because of the era........but whether good are bad the memories they were part of a music scene that brings a smile back to me
    Bring back the plank

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    Duckworth Lewis Method, the conceptual album by Neil Hannon of Divine Comedy fame and Michael Walsh (Pugwash) which is all about....cricket.

As a concept album its really outstanding stuff.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Paradise Lost's self-titled effort. Never really gave it much time compared to its successor 'In Requiem', but I've been listening to it over and over the past few night shifts. Amazing songwriting.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Malcolm Middleton - Waxing Gibbous

Unreal. It's so bloody good.
    DCFC

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    115 Posts
    This week it's been all Hombre Lobo, the new Eels one, wonderful, wonderful record, even by their insanely high standards. Yeah I like 'em.

Opening track, and my new favourite song of all time, Prizefighter
    more bass

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts
    Arctic Monkey's new album, Humbug, is bloody excellent. You can tell a mile off Josh Homme has produced the album. Really good effort, some great lyrics too.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast