Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spanish Football now in Decline.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Spanish Football now in Decline.

Dunphy writes off Italian Football one week and now its Spanish Football. He is laughable at this stage. Madrid are a joke, despite the fact they may win the league.
    In Trap we trust

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Well there is only one Spanish team left and one Italian clinging by a thread compared to possibly four English teams.

I cant see Schalke, Fenerbache or Roma winning it, can you.

It's a United-Liverpool Final.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stojkovic View Post
    Well there is only one Spanish team left and one Italian clinging by a thread compared to possibly four English teams.

It's a United-Liverpool Final.
    How many times have English teams won this cup this decade again?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jebus View Post
    How many times have English teams won this cup this decade again?
    The point is about current form, the last 2/3 years.

Winners - England, Spain, Italy one each

Finalists - England - 3, Italy - 2, Spain - 1.

And this year, look at the QF teams left.

Where are Madrid, Valencia, Sevilla, Milan, Juve and (Inter) ?

An English team WILL win it this year.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    why is it the last 3 years that form is taken? I'd say you'd need at least 5 to properly gauge it, although since football seems to move in decades (team of the decade etc.), I'd ask which is the better league this decade, and the answer is really just a toss up between Italy and Spain in that respect. Just because Liverpool fluked a win in 2005 doesn't mean the Premier League has come close to the other two if we are taking Champions League performances as the end all of this discussion.

I bet you were on of the guys who harped on about 3/4 of the semi finalists last year being from England and then disappeared when the still couldn't win it

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jebus View Post
    I bet you were on of the guys who harped on about 3/4 of the semi finalists last year being from England and then disappeared when the still couldn't win it
    No, I wasnt.

Im actually more of a connosoir of the Continental game than the English one.

I think that the 20 La Liga teams are better than the 20 English ones but when it comes to the top four teams, I'd have to go for the Premier League.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    224 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stojkovic View Post
    Roma yes.
    Life without Rovers, it makes no sense...it's a heartache...nothing but a fools game. S.R.F.C.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    80 Posts
    I think Roma have a good chance , very impressive last night , if they can control a game over 2 legs against the best team in Spain , then why not.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    I think Chelsea will win it but there one weakness is their coach in big games. I am not sure he has it but if they had a top coach or manager I would reckon they have the best chance.

In relation to the Spanish game every team plays good football and plays possession football but the English game is strong at the moment. 4 teams in the quarter final of the Champions League and 3 teams in the Uefa Cup and one of those is Bolton who are struggling against relegation and they knocked out a potential Champions League team from Spain. This has been achieve with a 2 Scottish, French, 2 Spanish, Israeli/Portuguese and 1 English manager and mostly non English players.
    In Trap we trust

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    None of the big Spanish teams are having a good season. Madrid lead the league by default, not on merit. Barça can't seem to get their act together despite the wealth of talent at their disposal. Valencia are in a mess on and off the pitch. Sevilla still haven't got over the loss of Ramos. Zaragoza, who had a superb season last year, are now facing relegation. Not a vintage year.

Great article by Sid Lowe in today's Guardian about Spain and Italy from a footballing perspective:

You only win when you're sinning

The Spanish media are desperate to put some kind of gloss on the unthinkable - that their rivals across the Med play better football

Sid Lowe March 6, 2008 11:14 AM

As if going out of the Champions League was not bad enough, as if seeing the dream of a tenth European Cup disappear in smoke was not sufficiently painful, Real Madrid had to go out to a AS Roma, a team from Italy - that most bitter of Spanish rivals.

Because if there's one thing the Spanish really, really hate, it's the
    Italians. In fact, it's become an obsession. Not because of the fashion, the impossibly perfect facial hair, or even the crazy driving and rubbish mopeds: Spain has got its own fair share of those. No, the Spanish hate the Italians because of their football.

And Roma are not your typical Italian side because they attack, because they score goals, because they are worth watching. In Spain, where football has to be aesthetic as much as it is effective, your typical Italian side is plain dull, hideously defensive.

Few people were less impressed with Fabio Cannavaro winning the Golden Ball as European player of the year than the Spanish, even if he had just joined Madrid. "It's a miracle that he didn't boot it into touch when they gave it to him," sniped one columnist.

When Cannavaro played poorly, he was rubbish; when his partner, Sergio Ramos, played poorly he was suffering an injury, having an off day, too keen to win - or dragged down by the Italian playing alongside him.

Likewise, when Fabio Capello was sacked as coach of Real Madrid for being "too boring" despite winning the club's first league title in four years, ending the longest Santiago Bernabéu drought in over half a century, his "anti-football" - and, yes, that is what they called it - was seen as being the logical conclusion of his nationality.

And the day Claudio Ranieri was sacked as Valencia coach after not managing a win in six matches, it was treated as if the Mestalla had been delivered from evil. The Italian coach was a "dictator"; according to one report; Valencia had been freed from "the yoke of Ranierism".

Valencia won their first game after sacking him and employing Spaniard Antonio López. And the locals could hardly contain themselves, especially as López's tactic had been so simple: drop the Italians. By leaving out the Ranieri signings Marco di Vaio, Emiliano Moretti, Bernardo Corradi and Stefano Fiore, Valencia had, the sports daily Marca gleefully said, gone through a process of "de-Italianising" themselves.

Over here, people think Italian football is dirty, cynical, talentless and boring. Few Italians have succeeded in Spain because they are rubbish, they say, while few Spaniards have succeeded in Italy because the football is rubbish - and full of cheats.

When Real Madrid faced Juventus in the 2003 Champions League quarters, a Spanish television trailer used the music and opening credits from Star Wars to announce an apocalyptic clash between Madrid's galactic superstars and the "miserable football" of the evil empire from across the Alps. TVE waved off Madrid's Jedi knights with an Obi-Wan-esque, "May the goals be with you."

A few years earlier, after the Italian press complained about a blatant - and deliberate - handball goal by Raúl in the Champions League, the Spanish press got their knickers in a twist, screaming: "How dare you lecture us?!" The sports paper Marca published a "dossier" on the tricks of the trade of Italian football, "the most unsporting in the world" - tricks such as diving, fouling and, ahem, winning.

And that is, kind of, the point. Because perhaps the worst thing about the Italians is that they are successful, the current World Cup winners. Spain's only international triumph is the 1964 European Championships - a four-team tournament played in Madrid.

Italian football so perfectly fuels the schizophrenic Spanish psyche, that uneasy coexistence of massive superiority and inferiority complexes. The Spanish are convinced they are better than the Italians. But, deep down, they are also convinced the Italians will beat them. By foul means, not fair.

When Tassoti smashed Luis Enrique's nose - in the penalty area - in the last minute of the 1994 World Cup quarter-final, leaving Italy going through, Spain going out and Luis Enrique going to hospital, it was the perfect embodiment of Spain and Italy: one side played all the football; the other smashed an innocent man's nose all over his face - and won.

Those victories are illegitimate, whispered sins. Asked about Italian dominance of the Champions League a few years ago the Real Madrid defender Iván Helguera, a man who had played in Italy and a genuine Italophile, defended the country: "You know what? I'd love it if we [Spain] could say we had three teams out of four in the semis, plus success at international level. That's the bottom line. That's all that matters." The next day, his remarks were nowhere to be seen.

Just as this Madrid will be nowhere to be seen in the draw for the next round of the Champions League. Down to ten men with a contentious decision and out of Europe, slain by Italians once more, there is a familiar ache in Spanish hearts.

The Guardian 6 March 2008
    Greece 1 - 0 Germany
    Socrates (89)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    Thanks for that, entertaining article.OH how I use to enjoy those lazy hungover Sundays in the early 90s watching Live Italian football on C4.
    Those days Seria A was incomparable

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    780 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cheifo View Post
    Thanks for that, entertaining article.OH how I use to enjoy those lazy hungover Sundays in the early 90s watching Live Italian football on C4.
    So, what do you do with those lazy hungover Sundays now?
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    I don't think Roma's defence is strong enough. Mexes is excellent but Juan is very inconsistent. The 2 full backs are very attacking. The keeper's prone to errors. The 2 central midfielders (De Rossi and Aquilani) are attacking by nature. In fact, if their central midfielders were coached in England they'd be more Gerrard and Lampard type players than sitting midfielders.

I'd love to see them win it though. One of the best passing teams in the world.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    214 Posts
    I'm hoping for a Manchester United-Barca final.

I'll jump off a bridge if it's Chelsea-Liverpool. In theory we could end up with 4 English teams in the semi finals of the CL which doesn't interest me in the slightest.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    367 Posts
    De Rossi is a defensive midfielder for me - and I thought he was excellent in that role against Real.

I can't see Roma winning the Champions League - of the remaining sides in the tournament I'd rate them as one of the weakest - only "better" than Schalke and Fenerbache.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ifk101 View Post
    De Rossi is a defensive midfielder for me - and I thought he was excellent in that role against Real. .
    Aye but if he was brought up in England he'd be a Gerrard type player. He plays deep because he has so much tactical intelligence which I doubt he'd have if coached in England from a young age. Scott Brown at Celtic is very similar to De Rossi. It'll be interesting to see what type of player he turns out to be.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cheifo View Post
    Agreed.
    Here they come! It’s the charge of the “Thanks” Brigade!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    224 Posts
    When's the draw for the next round?
    Life without Rovers, it makes no sense...it's a heartache...nothing but a fools game. S.R.F.C.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    80 Posts
    Probably Friday week after the Inter Liverpool game

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,000 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Over the post View Post
    Few people were less impressed with Fabio Cannavaro winning the Golden Ball as European player of the year than the Spanish, even if he had just joined Madrid. "It's a miracle that he didn't boot it into touch when they gave it to him," sniped one columnist.
    Great line in that article.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast