Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Recommended Reading

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    I'm surprised that SkStu reads books. Heh.

What is everyone's favorite music related book?

Mine is probably Catch a Wave: The Rise, Fall & Redemption of The Beach Boys' Brian Wilson.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,611 Posts
    Just finished a cracker actually.

"Radical: My Journey out of Islamist Extremism" by Maajid Nawaz.

The title tells the story. Highly recommended. Some weaknesses (would've preferred more education on the motivation towards extremism in general as his story is so personal to him and his extremism was developed in a western culture)

I also liked the Brian Wilson bio, only complaint was that it's a bit too long. Or at least felt that way at times.

I always liked "Heavier than Heaven" about Kurt Cobain as I was a huge fan but Motley Crüe's "The Dirt" is a whole lot of fun.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    893 Posts
    Bumpity-bump.

Looking for suggestions for holiday reading, laze ‘n’ genlmen… Nothing too light, nothing too heavy. Non-fiction is a no-no (I read enough of that for work!). Got a month of rest coming up (the best reason to be an academic!) and on the shelves are a couple of Jo Nesbo’s, Kevin Barry’s first collection of short stories, Lucia Berlin’s collected short stories, Rob Doyle’s frantic, weird first collection 'This is the Ritual' (I’ve a thing for the short story alright) and since that's about a fortnight at most… over to you.

Finished Benjamin Black’s 'Prague Nights' last week. TBH, I’d rather he only wrote as John Banville. He just can’t do crime, although this one being set in 1599 had a bit more going for it that the Quirke books. Only 2 stars on this particular night.
    Hello, hello? What's going on? What's all this shouting, we'll have no trouble here!
    - E Tattsyrup.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    103 Posts
    I'm about halfway through Capital by John Lanchester at the moment and enjoying it, other than that recently I really liked Danish Dynamite by Rob Smyth et al. and the Peter Grant series by Ben Aaronovitch.
    A man can have no greater love than give 90 minutes for his friends.

International Prospect bennocelt's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    335 Posts
    The White Tiger By Aravind Adiga

Like yourself i read a lot of non fiction and rarely anything else, but this was excellent. Really get an insight into India, and unfortunately all the corruption and poverty, and its a cracking story too!

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    778 Posts
    IRON COFFINS for those who like non-fiction. Story of one of the few U-Boat commanders, Herbert Werner. who survived the War. Since I read nearly only WW2 stuff, this is one of the best of them. See the ratings on Amazon (none below 4 star) https://www.amazon.com/Iron-Coffins-.../dp/030681160X
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

7. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eminence Grise View Post
    Bumpity-bump.

Looking for suggestions for holiday reading, laze ‘n’ genlmen… Nothing too light, nothing too heavy. Non-fiction is a no-no (I read enough of that for work!). Got a month of rest coming up (the best reason to be an academic!) and on the shelves are a couple of Jo Nesbo’s, Kevin Barry’s first collection of short stories, Lucia Berlin’s collected short stories, Rob Doyle’s frantic, weird first collection 'This is the Ritual' (I’ve a thing for the short story alright) and since that's about a fortnight at most… over to you.

Finished Benjamin Black’s 'Prague Nights' last week. TBH, I’d rather he only wrote as John Banville. He just can’t do crime, although this one being set in 1599 had a bit more going for it that the Quirke books. Only 2 stars on this particular night.
    Here's a couple which are light but serious, humorous, very well plotted and written.

David Benioff, City of Thieves, David's grandfather survived the siege of Leningrad and David based this book around his surreal escapades.
    Boris Akunin and the Erast Fandorin mystery series.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    893 Posts
    Many thanks for the suggestions!

Hitman - good call with John Lanchester. Have you read The Debt to Pleasure, his first book? Very dark and blackly comic.
    (Review by John Banville of the reisssue if you're interested)

Geysir - I've often flicked through Boris Akunin's books but not wanted to commit to a series (I tend to go hell for leather when I find a series I like, and it costs me a fortune!!!) Might have to bite the bullet though if they're that good.
    Hello, hello? What's going on? What's all this shouting, we'll have no trouble here!
    - E Tattsyrup.

10. Thanks From:

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,522 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OwlsFan View Post
    IRON COFFINS for those who like non-fiction. Story of one of the few U-Boat commanders, Herbert Werner. who survived the War. Since I read nearly only WW2 stuff, this is one of the best of them. See the ratings on Amazon (none below 4 star) https://www.amazon.com/Iron-Coffins-.../dp/030681160X
    Great shout. An absolutely brilliant book.
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

12. Thanks From:

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,522 Posts
    Jerusalem - The Biography by Simon Sebag Montefiore. It's a place where a lot of stuff has happened. Most of it bad. If you;re not an atheist starting out, you will be by the end!
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

14. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    893 Posts
    So, I finished my first Stephen King novel the other day. Misery. Ho-hum. Wouldn't rush out for a second one.

Two books on the go at the moment: One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (ashamed to say I've had it on my shelves for ten years!) - 70 pages in and really enjoying it - and James Kelman's first collection of stories An Old Pub Near the Angel. Came out 44 years ago and still packs a punch. God, can he write!
    - E Tattsyrup.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    115 Posts
    So, I finished my first Stephen King novel the other day. Misery. Ho-hum. Wouldn't rush out for a second one.
    I've liked quite a few of Stephen King's books, but didn't like Misery either, so maybe it was just that one didn't do it for you, Your Eminence.
    If you're not put off by having seen the film versions, both Salem's Lot and The Shining might be worth a look.
    The one I'd most recommend, though is The Stand. Not horror or thriller at all, but a huge great sprawling post-apocalyptic good-vs-evil yarn. Aspects of the story have been done much better elsewhere (The Road, even I Am Legend) but even for ambitious scale alone it's worth a read. Don't get me wrong, he's no Gabriel Garcia Marquez, but then he's no Dan Brown either!
    Last edited by stann; 30/03/2018 at 2:24 PM.
    more bass

17. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    115 Posts
    Non-fiction-wise, I'm currently in the middle of England's Dreaming, Jon Savage's history of punk, which is fascinating and extremely detailed!
    Also just finished Rip It Up And Start Again by Simon Reynolds, an excellent trawl through post-punk. Would hugely recommend both.
    more bass

19. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    893 Posts
    Thanks, Stann, that's more helpful than you know - I know somebody in the early stages of researching an MA with punk as a theme. I'll be sure to pass on those titles.
    - E Tattsyrup.

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    Thanks, Stann, that's more helpful than you know - I know somebody in the early stages of researching an MA with punk as a theme. I'll be sure to pass on those titles.
    UK Punk or DIY US scene as well ? Or the whole thing globally ?

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    893 Posts
    UK, maybe with an Irish comparison. Fairly mainstream afaik. It's a theme within a broader study.
    - E Tattsyrup.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    Ah fair enough, I would have suggested a book title too if it were US.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    893 Posts
    What is it anyway, CTP? It might open up new ideas.
    - E Tattsyrup.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    What is it anyway, CTP? It might open up new ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by On The Road To Nirvana by Gina Arnold View Post
    This work explores the history of punk in America and its crash-and-burn players. It describes bands such as the Dead Kennedy's, Husker Du, Sonic Youth and REM, as well as countless other bands, venues, labels, fanzines, etc, all tributaries which combined & somehow culminated finally in Smells Like Teen Spirit charting, and staying there screaming its ski capped head off. Essential reading for anyone interested in punks massive but delayed impact in the US
    I only put this down to sleep a while before going straight back to reading it when I found it. But its also a resource, a document covering so many aspects of that journey.

26. Thanks From:

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789