Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Recommended Reading

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pike B View Post
    Mc Grath's tops them all though. That man's a legend. Greatest ever Irish player for me.. And brutally honest in his book.
    seconded. It was the most moving book I've ever read on any subject, the fact that it was about one of my all time heroes made it even more emotional to read.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Stop it man, I'm gonna bawl....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    I just finishd reading The Book Thief by Markus Zusak-very rewarding read
    Just about to read A prison Diary by a character I have always loathed-Jeffery Archer...I am open minded if nothing else.
    I also bought a book called The Tomorrow Trap-"unlocking the secrets of the procastination-protection syndrome" but cant seem to get around to reading it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Probably goes without saying but everyone needs to read the Hitch Hiker's Guide to The Galaxy series.

Mr L Prosser was, as they say, only human. In other words he
    was a carbon-based life form descended from an ape. More
    specifically he was forty, fat and shabby and worked for the local
    council. Curiously enough, though he didn't know it, he was also
    a direct male-line descendant of Genghis Khan, though
    intervening generations and racial mixing had so juggled his
    genes that he had no discernible Mongoloid characteristics, and
    the only vestiges left in Mr L Prosser of his mighty ancestry were
    a pronounced stoutness about the tum and a predilection for
    little fur hats.
    Your Chairperson,
    Gavin
    Membership Advisory Board
    "Ex Bardus , Vicis"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Ah Douglas Adams. Legend ! read Dirk Gentlys Hollistic Detective Agency as well as the Hitchhiker series Years Ago. ridiculously funny and irreverent. Described on the cover as being a :"thumping good detective-ghost-horror-whodunnit-time-travel-romantic-musical-comedy-epic"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    214 Posts
    I just finishd reading The Book Thief by Markus Zusak-very rewarding read

I enjoyed the Book Thief. Would recommend it as well.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Right Lad's just finished the Paul Hill book mentioned above. anyone recommend any other good "prison Diary" or Mis-carriage of Justice type book's? I'm in the mood for more like Hill's harrowing tale

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    like wise i have been reading alot of andy mcnab books and that sort of genre, anyone recommend books along these lines
    We control by attitudes positive mental attitudes not by rules.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Cass Pennants Soul Crew
    RIP JOHNNY

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    17 Posts
    okay shameless plug, my mate tod just published this, his first novel. it's about a medieval reenactor trying to save his family while struggling against the increasingly modern world around him. very funny, he jokes that he's hardcore because his book's title has TWO semicolons in it -

http://tinyurl.com/5ruz2u
    zombie/thread killer..

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts
    The Drowned and the Saved - by Primo Levi

"A book of essays on life in the Nazi Vernichtungslager (extermination camps) by Italian-Jewish author and Holocaust survivor Primo Levi, drawing on his personal experience as an inmate of Auschwitz.

Whereas If This is a Man was autobiographical The Drowned and the Saved is an attempt at an analytical approach. The problem of the fallibility of memory, the techniques used by the Nazis to break the will of prisoners, the use of language in the camps and the nature of violence are all studied in a poet's style that sometimes supersedes scientific conventions".

Fascinating, humbling and moving. Bears witness to Man's inhumanity to Man.
    Quoting years at random since 1975

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stann View Post
    The best one of the type I've read is 'Chickenhawk' by Robert Mason, an autobiographical account of a Huey pilot with the Air Cavalry. It's excellent.
    Went in to Easons to get ChickenHawk yesterday and and came across what could be a real Gem on the subject. "Vietnam-An Oral History" by Christian G. Appy. I've started it this morning and It's really interesting. as the Blurb proclaims it's "an oral history of the Vietnam War from not just both-sides but all sides" It's a book verymuch in the mould of Don Mullans "Eyewitness BloodySunday "(another Highly recommended read) in that it's a collection of Eyewitness accounts taken from a diverse spread of the people who where there on the ground. everyone from American 4star Generals, Commanders, Grunts(including Oliver Stones personal account of his tour of duty), NVA and Viet-cong Generals, Commanders Grunts,SVA Generals, Commanders, Grunts, Journalists, reporters and Photographers from all over the world and native Vietnamese Peasants and political leaders from all sides. I'm really looking forward to getting into it.
    Last edited by Block G Raptor; 24/04/2008 at 10:36 AM.

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    999 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
    The Drowned and the Saved - by Primo Levi

Fascinating, humbling and moving. Bears witness to Man's inhumanity to Man.
    Agreed. A truly life-changing work.

Couple it with the documentary "Shoah" (9 hours long) and you'll have more mixed emotions about the quality of humans, and humanity, than you ever had before.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Richard Stark

Not a TV of Film but author.

Anybody interested in proper crime novels look up this bloke. By proper crime I don't mean the copy and paste genre of the Grisham, Connolly etc al where the hero is always a maverick but secretly admired by top brass, where he has an on - off relationship with his ex wife and every case is a tangled mix of his past present and future but can he really face himself and the horrible truth...................ldfygeqrvb;febvbnberoerw - sorry fell asleep and face hit the keyboard.

This is gritty and focussed on the criminals. The subject of the novels is Parker - the hardest b*****d you would ever meet - totally amoral, but not eveil in a psychopathic sense - killing is only an occupational hazard in the way of professional thiefdom.

Top drawer
    DB Cooper is alive !

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Angus View Post
    Not a TV of Film but author.

Anybody interested in proper crime novels look up this bloke. By proper crime I don't mean the copy and paste genre of the Grisham, Connolly etc al where the hero is always a maverick but secretly admired by top brass, where he has an on - off relationship with his ex wife and every case is a tangled mix of his past present and future but can he really face himself and the horrible truth...................ldfygeqrvb;febvbnberoerw - sorry fell asleep and face hit the keyboard.

This is gritty and focussed on the criminals. The subject of the novels is Parker - the hardest b*****d you would ever meet - totally amoral, but not eveil in a psychopathic sense - killing is only an occupational hazard in the way of professional thiefdom.

Top drawer
    POTM for the Highlighted Paragraph

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    50 Posts
    Anyone looking for a funny yet intelligent book can I recommend "A Confederacy of Dunces" by John Kennedy Toole, its recognized as one of the funniest books ever written, I love it....its a brilliant book about a hapless loser called Ignatius J Reilly...Brilliant stuff, he also wrote a book called "Neon Bible" (as in the Arcade Fire Album) which is a little more serious but still as good a read, the tragedy is that the books were only ever released after the author had comitted suicide, he was in despair because he thought his work would never be picked up and it was only his mother campaigning on his behalf that got the books any recognition - keep an eye out for them
    You show me a good loser and I'll show you a loser - Vince Lombardi

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    230 Posts
    An Atheist Goes Undercover to Join the Flock of Mad Pastor John Hagee(You know, the one that called the Catholic Church 'The great whore of religions)

The following is an excerpt from Matt Taibbi's new book, The Great Derangement" (Spiegel and Grau, 2008).
    Here

Interesting to say the least!
    Did you ever notice that in every painting of Adam & Eve, they have belly buttons. Think about that...take as long as you want.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts
    I recently finished Freakonomics by Steven Levitt and Stephen Dubner. It was a very good read. It's a fascinating insight into life.
    Extratime.ie

Yo te quiero, mi querida. Sin tus besos, yo soy nada.

Abri o portão de ouro, da maquina do tempo.

Mi mamá me hizo guapo, listo y antimadridista.

International Prospect passinginterest's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    423 Posts
    I finished A Long Long Way by Sebastian Barry a few weeks ago. I though it was a wonderful novel, well written, moving story, excellent characterisation, it would be hard to fault it. I was always fascinated by WW1 poetry, Wilfred Owen and the like, and it takes up similar themes on the horror of war.

I'm reading the Sherlock Holmes anthology at the moment. Finished A Study in Scarlet and in the early stages of The Sign of Four at the moment. Surprisingly enough I had never read a Holmes story before and I've been impressed so far.

Tallaght Stadium Regular

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    230 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Magicme View Post
    Sorry to lower the Intelligence Quotiant but just finished reading Belfast Confidential by Colin Bateman and I dont laugh out loud at books or movies often but was crying with laughter reading it.

God I love Bateman (as he is now referred to). Funniest guy ever.
    I've read a couple of Batemans books (though not that one) In my opinion he's just a poor mans (Or womans) Christopher Brookmyre. Try "A Big Boy Did It and Ran Away" "Boiling A Frog" "One Fine Day in the Middle of the Night" or "The Sacred Art of Stealing" or any of his stuff really.

Oh, and to Block G Raptor, re Prison/innocentvictim type books, John Grishams "An Innocent Man " is quite good. I'm not a fan of his fiction, but this is the story of a man who spent yearws on death row for rape and murder in acase where the police pretty much ignored the obvious prime suspect and decided to pick on two basically down and outs and fit them up.

As for current reading, I'm just about to start Denis Lehanes "A Drink Before the War." His "Mystic River" is an awesome book and I highly recommend it. Even better than the Film, which isn't half bad.
    Out for a spell, got neglected, lay on the bench unselected.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast