Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: League of Ireland XI records

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts

League of Ireland XI records

Was just wondering if someone could help me out with when was the last game played by a LoI select?
    I'm also searching the Irish Times archives for a game I've heard about which involved an LoI XI beating an English League XI that was made up of England's World Cup 66 winning squad, and apparently had the Jules Rimet trophy paraded at Dalyer before the game. Anyone know the date of that?
    Out of interest, have the LoI select pulled off any other memorable victories?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jicked View Post
    Was just wondering if someone could help me out with when was the last game played by a LoI select?
    About five years ago in Terryland against an IL select.
    Tifo poles, sausage rolls and a few goals.

The Brandy Blogs, back and blogging the 2010 season

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    1st November 2000 was the last National League select game (played at Terryland).

Since then it's been primarily U21's representing the league - e.g. at the quadrangular tournament, against Glasgow Celtic U21's.

There's also the more recent U23 Internationals comprising on EL players as well.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    I'm also searching the Irish Times archives for a game I've heard about which involved an LoI XI beating an English League XI that was made up of England's World Cup 66 winning squad,
    there was a match program on ebay from this a few weeks ago.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts
    League of Ireland XIs have played tens of games since then. Recently the under-23 international against Slovakia was a League of Ireland under-23 selection. The League also played Ireland B at Bray in about 2001, and played the League of Wales and IFK Gothenburg around the same time.

From the 20s to the 60s the League of Ireland played 2-3 games a year against the Irish League, Scottish League, English League etc. That continued less regularly into the 70s and 80s. During the 80s a Jim McLaughlin managed League side played games in Argentina, Singapore and the Middle East.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts

The League of Ireland beat the English League 2-1 in October 63, and famously drew 3-3 in 1953 with a formidable English League XI including the likes of Matthews, Wright, Mortenson.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts
    The League of Ireland select were the Olympic side for a while were they not?
    Tifo poles, sausage rolls and a few goals.

The Brandy Blogs, back and blogging the 2010 season

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Maribor View Post
    The League of Ireland select were the Olympic side for a while were they not?
    Yes, for the 1988 Olympics the whole team had to be home based. It was generally 6-7 Shamrock Rovers players, 3-4 Dundalk and 1 or 2 others. They did reasonable well from what I remember.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by seand View Post
    Yes, for the 1988 Olympics the whole team had to be home based. It was generally 6-7 Shamrock Rovers players, 3-4 Dundalk and 1 or 2 others. They did reasonable well from what I remember.
    Maybe a trick of the memory but that side was mainly, 9 rovers players and Barry Kehoe and Alan O'Neill (a Hoop put on loan to Dundalk) and sometimes Mick Bennett from Waterford...anyone able to confirm

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by seand View Post
    League of Ireland XIs have played tens of games since then. Recently the under-23 international against Slovakia was a League of Ireland under-23 selection. The League also played Ireland B at Bray in about 2001, and played the League of Wales and IFK Gothenburg around the same time.

From the 20s to the 60s the League of Ireland played 2-3 games a year against the Irish League, Scottish League, English League etc. That continued less regularly into the 70s and 80s. During the 80s a Jim McLaughlin managed League side played games in Argentina, Singapore and the Middle East.

Sounds very exotic, tell us more Seand who did we play and how did we do?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    I'm also searching the Irish Times archives for a game I've heard about which involved an LoI XI beating an English League XI that was made up of England's World Cup 66 winning squad, and apparently had the Jules Rimet trophy paraded at Dalyer before the game. Anyone know the date of that?
    The League of Ireland played the Football League in 1963, 1965 and 1967, so the only game the Jules Rimet would have been paraded was in 1967, when the LOI lost 2-7.

2nd October 1963 at Dalymount: LOI 2 (Eddie Bailham, Ronnie Whelan) FL 1 (John 'Budgie' Byrne). Attendance 30000
    LOI: E.Darcy, W.Browne, S.Keogh, P.Fitzgerald, J.Fullam, F.Strahan, P.Roberts, R.Whelan, T.O'Connell, J.Mooney, E.Bailham
    FL: T.Waiters, J.Armfield, R.Wilson, J,Melia, B.Moore, M.O'Grady, I.Callaghan, J.Byrne, R.Hunt, M.Peters

27th October 1965 at Boothferry Park, Hull: FL 5 (Alan Ball 2, John Kaye 2, Jack Charlton). Attendance: 28283
    FL G.Banks, K.Newton, G.Cohen, G.Harris, J.Charlton, N.Hunter, B.O'Neill, A.Ball, J.Kaye, D.Temple, P.Thompson
    LOI E.Darcy, P.Mulligan, P.Fitzgerald, J.Fullam, A.Finnucane, P.Bonham, B.Dixon, R.Whelan, M.Lynch, J.McGrath, L.Tuohy

8th November 1967 at Dalymount Park: LOI 2 (Andy McEvoy, Frank O'Neill) FL 7 (Martin Chivers 3, John Ritchie 2, Jon Samuels, Jimmy Greaves). Attendance: 27000
    LOI K.Fitzpatrick, P.Courtney, F.Brennan, J.Fullam, D.Pugh, M.Kearin, F.O'Neill, M.Conroy, A.McEvoy, A.Hale, T.O'Connell
    FL P.Grummitt, R.Wilson, M.Bailey, V.Mobley, B.Moore, C.Bell, J.Sammuels, J.Ritchie, M.Chivers, J.Greaves, W.Smith

G.Spain probably has the programmes for these games.

Hope that helps.
    Last edited by Superhoops; 26/02/2008 at 12:43 AM.
    Honest! I am not a secret Tim nor a closet Sham - I really am a Seagull.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Superhoops View Post
    The League of Ireland played the Football League in 1963, 1965 and 1967, so the only game the Jules Rimet would have been paraded was in 1967, when the LOI lost 2-7.

2nd October 1963 at Dalymount: LOI 2 (Eddie Bailham, Ronnie Whelan) FL 1 (John 'Budgie' Byrne). Attendance 30000
    LOI: E.Darcy, W.Browne, S.Keogh, P.Fitzgerald, J.Fullam, F.Strahan, P.Roberts, R.Whelan, T.O'Connell, J.Mooney, E.Bailham
    FL: T.Waiters, J.Armfield, R.Wilson, J,Melia, B.Moore, M.O'Grady, I.Callaghan, J.Byrne, R.Hunt, M.Peters

27th October 1965 at Boothferry Park, Hull: FL 5 (Alan Ball 2, John Kaye 2, Jack Charlton). Attendance: 28283
    FL G.Banks, K.Newton, G.Cohen, G.Harris, J.Charlton, N.Hunter, B.O'Neill, A.Ball, J.Kaye, D.Temple, P.Thompson
    LOI E.Darcy, P.Mulligan, P.Fitzgerald, J.Fullam, A.Finnucane, P.Bonham, B.Dixon, R.Whelan, M.Lynch, J.McGrath, L.Tuohy

8th November 1967 at Dalymount Park: LOI 2 (Andy McEvoy, Frank O'Neill) FL 7 (Martin Chivers 3, John Ritchie 2, Jon Samuels, Jimmy Greaves). Attendance: 27000
    LOI K.Fitzpatrick, P.Courtney, F.Brennan, J.Fullam, D.Pugh, M.Kearin, F.O'Neill, M.Conroy, A.McEvoy, A.Hale, T.O'Connell
    FL P.Grummitt, R.Wilson, M.Bailey, V.Mobley, B.Moore, C.Bell, J.Sammuels, J.Ritchie, M.Chivers, J.Greaves, W.Smith

G.Spain probably has the programmes for these games.

Hope that helps.
    Where'd you get the info from Superhoop ?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dcfcsteve View Post
    Where'd you get the info from Superhoop ?
    Steve,

I do quite a bit of research at work (nothing to do with football) and use on line archives. I came across this a while ago and subscribed, about £20 p.a. Has some good info but not the greatest for cross referencing.
    Honest! I am not a secret Tim nor a closet Sham - I really am a Seagull.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey Boy View Post
    Sounds very exotic, tell us more Seand who did we play and how did we do?
    I'm afraid I know very little. I'd never heard of these games, and I've never seen records. The only reason I know about it at all is that (without wanting to sound like a name-dropping ****) I was talking to Jim McLaughlin and Terry Eviston about it some time last year.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts

Thumbs up

Thanks very much lads, particularly superhoops

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    League of Ireland selection played Liverpool in Lansdowne in 1992/1993, think it was 2-2? 25,000 at the game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalymountrower View Post
    League of Ireland selection played Liverpool in Lansdowne in 1992/1993, think it was 2-2? 25,000 at the game.
    October 1993.

We also played Leeds, Blackburn and Man City in the previous 12 months.

International Prospect DmanDmythDledge's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    Also played Man Utd in 96 and Ireland a year or two after.

New Signing
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

League of Ireland XI

Just before the 1978 World Cup a LOI Selection played Argentina in the Boca Juniors stadium losing 3-1. The starting eleven for Argentina had 9 players who started the World Cup Final.
    Then in 1980 a LOI squad played 5 games in Argentina-the first was against Argentina losing 1-0 to a Diego Maradona goal.Afew weeks later Argentina beat the national side in Lansdowne.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DmanDmythDledge View Post
    and Ireland a year or two after.
    MY uncle played in that. Looked for Roy KEane and Kilbane jersey. Got a pair of socks. Ha ha. Keanes was auctioned. Kilbanes first cap.
    Harry and Liam, Harry and Liam, Harry and Liam, Harry and Liam.