Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Combined Counties League 2007/08

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Combined Counties League 2007/08

Hey anyone interested in the combined counties league? If so what do you think who'll win the cups this year?

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    I think its between Willow park, mullingar ath, clara town, ck utd ,and st peters , from the first division it all depends on the draw and who plays at home i fancy St peters for counties cup and ck utd for Paddy cotter cup...

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysAHoop View Post
    I think its between Willow park, mullingar ath, clara town, ck utd ,and st peters , from the first division it all depends on the draw and who plays at home i fancy St peters for counties cup and ck utd for Paddy cotter cup...
    Great to see someone has an interest!!! Willow are a strong side but don't think they are strong enough at the back without Robbie Shine.. Athletic will fall at the final furlong cause they are not used to winning anything, I agree with you about CK, Clara and Peters... CK are very hard to break down with full side and Clara are a bitch at home in there place. Peters are the team to beat as i feel they have strength all over the park and especially down the middle with Tom Silke, Steven Mullin and the two front men, what do you think?

I'd like to mullingar win something, but can't see it...

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    Checked out the league website, note it does'nt have an archieve, would any of you guys know the league history and details of past champions ?

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    As i am aware the league has been running 2 years its was intermediate before that,,

senior division 2006 St peters
    senior division 2007 Clara town

counties Cup 2006 melville Utd
    Counties cup 2007 clara town

Paddy cotter Cup 2006 St peters
    paddy cotter Cup 2007 gallen Utd
    Last edited by AlwaysAHoop; 03/01/2008 at 10:18 PM.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    As i am aware the league has been running 2 years its was intermediate before that,,

senior division 2006 St peters
    senior division 2007 Clara town

counties Cup 2006 melville Utd
    Counties cup 2007 clara town

Paddy cotter Cup 2006 St peters
    paddy cotter Cup 2007 gallen Utd
    the intermediate league the year before St Peters won, also got to the last 16 of intermediate cup and 1st round of the fai cup senior...

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    the intermediate league the year before St Peters won, also got to the last 16 of intermediate cup and 1st round of the fai cup senior...

SPCORP.... what happened with Peters last year, there were rumours of an FAI investigation, money and an astro turf pitch?
    Great tradition at the club, schoolboy internationals and LOI players to come from there, it was a pity things went belly up. was surprised they went Junior cos they were always Connaght Senior and LSL weren't they? Was at the Westpost game two years ago when Peters destroyed them for an hour, westport were FAI holders then and was at the Malihide B game, the team Peters have now is better again in my view.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by spcorp View Post
    Great to see someone has an interest!!! Willow are a strong side but don't think they are strong enough at the back without Robbie Shine.. Athletic will fall at the final furlong cause they are not used to winning anything, I agree with you about CK, Clara and Peters... CK are very hard to break down with full side and Clara are a bitch at home in there place. Peters are the team to beat as i feel they have strength all over the park and especially down the middle with Tom Silke, Steven Mullin and the two front men, what do you think?

I'd like to mullingar win something, but can't see it...

I agree With u its very Unpredictable this year as this weekend fixtures showed i watched willow and ck drawing 3 all at weekend some doughy defending and mullingar beaten at home ,and its seems peters have the first division wrapped up...i agree havin seen peters a few times a very strong middle but rumours are that some of there players will be goin to athlone and longford when pre seasons starts back is that true would be a pity to break up a good side....

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I think the premier division is quite poor when you consider how they have got on in the FAI and LJ cup. Willow are a good side but obviously lack the consistancy or discipiline to win games 1 nil. I see the cups being won by teams like CK or Clara who will be up for games on a one off, ie, they will treat every game like a cup final.

I hear St Peters have been approached by a LOI club about 1 player only, there is a second who has an open invitation to train with another LOI team and it is probable that the player will have the pre season with this club before deciding on what to do. No other players have been sounded out.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    [QUOTE=chopper harris;849918]

I hear St Peters have been approached by a LOI club about 1 player only, there is a second who has an open invitation to train with another LOI team and it is probable that the player will have the pre season with this club before deciding on what to do.QUOTE]

Generally speaking, when does the pre-season for LOI actually start?
    You are either pro or amateur, there is no in between!

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Preseason for any serious club would start 5/6 weeks before the first game of the new season. Unless your playing GA, as we know they do 8 months preseason!

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    Appreciate details of past champions posted.
    If correct League is not that old. Would also appear seems to have downgraded from Intermediate to Junior level in recent seasons.
    If correct this is seen as senior league for midland region, with long established teams like Mullingar & Tullamore now in this league and not LSL of which they used to be members. Am I correct ?

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chopper harris View Post

SPCORP.... what happened with Peters last year, there were rumours of an FAI investigation, money and an astro turf pitch?
    Great tradition at the club, schoolboy internationals and LOI players to come from there, it was a pity things went belly up. was surprised they went Junior cos they were always Connaght Senior and LSL weren't they? Was at the Westpost game two years ago when Peters destroyed them for an hour, westport were FAI holders then and was at the Malihide B game, the team Peters have now is better again in my view.
    Hey chopper, What happened?? Don't know the ins and outs and you don't have a year to talk about it... As far as i'm aware it didn't go belly up it was requested! but i don't know for sure.
    We'll see if they're good enough this season, but they have some excellent players and the attitude is good as far as i know..

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I agree With u its very Unpredictable this year as this weekend fixtures showed i watched willow and ck drawing 3 all at weekend some doughy defending and mullingar beaten at home ,and its seems peters have the first division wrapped up...i agree havin seen peters a few times a very strong middle but rumours are that some of there players will be goin to athlone and longford when pre seasons starts back is that true would be a pity to break up a good side....
    Dont think many will go because don't think any of them have interest in league of ireland and its commitments. they might lose one or two but i'd say they'll still have them for the end of the league.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Was wondering after seeing most of the league games were called off again this weekend what do people think of changing the league to a summer football from march to november i think it would only improve the league ,with better pitches better football and teams to be sure of playing every week......as some of the lower division teams havent played since november,i know it clashes with GAA but surely most teams players are comitted to there clubs..

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I don't think summer football would work in the CCFL. Geographically the region is fairly well influenced by the GAA and while that is also said of Mayo I think the pitch weather problem in Mayo wa slightly more acute than in the Midlands and east. In Short they had no choice but to look at an aternative, the weekend you mention was the exception rather than the rule. It was the first weekend this season we have had a blanket postponement (Although Tullamores's ground was okay) so I don't think the weather is a huge factor. I would prefer to take a chance with the weather issue than to compete with the GAA for playeers because I think that from experience of trying to get players for preseason training the CCFL would struggle in the Spring/summer months. IMO!
    Last edited by chopper harris; 17/01/2008 at 9:21 AM.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Anyone at the st peters game at the weekend? heard it was a cracker! thats the last 16 now... not bad for a 1st divison team in the counties..

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Yeah was at the game. Peters played well first half and deserved to win as they had the lions share of the chances over 90 mins. Could have gone to extra time but for a couple of good saves from the Peters keeper. Apart from the couple of last gasp chances College had they never really tested the Peters defence.

Two lads up front played really well, so did the Ref. Still in the FAI also, Corduff a bit an unknown, but still you never know in cup football.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Yeah was at the game. Peters played well first half and deserved to win as they had the lions share of the chances over 90 mins. Could have gone to extra time but for a couple of good saves from the Peters keeper. Apart from the couple of last gasp chances College had they never really tested the Peters defence.

Two lads up front played really well, so did the Ref. Still in the FAI also, Corduff a bit an unknown, but still you never know in cup football.
    heard Corduff are a good ball playing team, but i've heard and seen peters are as good as any of them on there day. They need to keep players fit some through the middle are very important for them.. Some craic if they went far...

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Heard Corduff are a good ball playing side, but peters are as good as any of them on there day. Some craic if they went far.... the league look pretty silly now!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast