Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Zat Knight

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    85 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jmurphyc View Post
    Yeah, it's pretty disgraceful. It ****es me off that a minority of people can influence football so much with disgusting actions like this. However, from reading the article is sounds like he isn't really that bothered about playing for us and doesn't consider himself Irish at all, so in that regards to that, it probably worked out the best.
    I guess if he really wanted to play for Ireland, REALLY WANTED TO he would not have

A - Said those things to Sven mentioned above

B - Not let it bother him, performances on the pitch could have swayed the minority of a few supporters
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist thinks it will change; the realist adjusts the sails.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dr_peepee View Post
    Have to be carefull how i word this...

He never said the racist letters were about being black.. It could well have been a because he was English....
    I think that's a good point Dr. I've had that sh*t from one or two posters on here and I don't openly profess any attachment or feeling towards being English.

I know that I have chopped the rest of your sentence but I feel the point stands merit on its own. There is still plenty of anti-English sentiment out there in main street Ireland and it is possible that some of this found its way to Knight.

PP
    Last edited by Plastic Paddy; 18/02/2008 at 5:29 PM.
    Semper in faecibus sole profundum variat

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    50 Posts
    Thats pretty awful, you can only hope that this sort of thing doesn't ever dissuade lads from ethnic backgorunds who actually want to play for us in the future
    You show me a good loser and I'll show you a loser - Vince Lombardi

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    50 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Deckydee View Post
    I guess if he really wanted to play for Ireland, REALLY WANTED TO he would not have

A - Said those things to Sven mentioned above

B - Not let it bother him, performances on the pitch could have swayed the minority of a few supporters
    Really good point, You have to really question whether he ever wanted to pla for us in the first place, I've been to a lot of matches in the UK and racism is still huge over there.....you have to believe he experienced this kind of thrash before yet he's let some, presumably, anonymous thrash from a whacko influence him to that extent

One can only imagine the kind of guff Hughton must of out up with in the early 80's

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Wangball View Post
    Really good point, You have to really question whether he ever wanted to pla for us in the first place, I've been to a lot of matches in the UK and racism is still huge over there...
    I don't agree. I think the "Kick Racism Out of Football" campaign has had a profound effect on attitudes to race and ethnicity in British football, especially since black players have become a mainstay in the England side, and a permanent feature - albeit to a lesser extent - in the Wales and Scotland sides.

Quote Originally Posted by Wangball View Post
    One can only imagine the kind of guff Hughton must of out up with in the early 80's
    Indeed. As Lesley Poles Hartley said, "the past is a foreign country; they do things differently there". We have moved on, I hope.

PP
    Semper in faecibus sole profundum variat

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    50 Posts

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    These are his comments about playing for Ireland....

“I don’t say that I have been overlooked by England, but if I can look down another road and try to get into their team, then maybe I should. As far as England is concerned, I know it’s going to be hard for me to break into the side.”

Try to get into THEIR team, proud Irishman me thinks

From http://www.eleven-a-side.com/boysing...p?newsid=14158

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts
    Knight has no balls if he let that get to him. Better off without him, he's **** and in the same bracket as Titus Bramble anyway. Andy O'Brien is a far better defender for one......

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Totally agree, never rated him. Always taught he was prone to a mistake or two a la one half of the chuckle brothers.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr. Murphy View Post
    Totally agree, never rated him. Always taught he was prone to a mistake or two a la one half of the chuckle brothers.
    A mistake or two???

He makes Titus Bramble look like the best defender in the world...its a blessing he cant play for us, hes an accident waiting to happen.
    'I can't even remember when the Seventies was.' - ROBBIE KEANE

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    779 Posts
    http://foot.ie/showthread.php?t=32918

Racist letters sent to some of our players were discussed before in a previous thread a year or two back.
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    48 Posts
    It's obvious he was never really serious about playing for Ireland, it's a disgrace that he was racially abused whether it was based on his race or nationality, but to write him off as sh*te based on the current defenders we have at our disposal is insane.

Yeah, he's far from the best defender out there, but if there was a dedicated Irishman of a similar ability playing in the Premiership today, I have no doubt he would be very close to the starting 11.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Is it just me or has this form of rascist tripe crept into Irish society only recently now that we're actually exposed to people from different ethnic groups due to the miracle of the Celtic Tiger and the subsequent immigration that it attracted? I never remember any rascism from Irish fans directed at Paul McGrath or Chris Hughton or in the later years even to Rivaldo Babb when I was growing up.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    There is no excuse for racism but I dislike the way the guy used his Irish grandmother as a bargaining tool to get himself and English cap and then he tries to brush us all with the same brush because of a few idiots? F*ck that he is obviously another spoofer, I don't buy that this racism is the reason he won't play for us for a second

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    34 Posts
    there are racists in every country in the world - unfortunately Ireland is no different. If he got the same letters while playing with England would he then not play for them?
    Knight should be a stronger person.

In the above article he actually ends upcoming across as abit of an ar$ehole.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12