Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Ireland line-up under Trapattoni

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Ogba View Post
    cause we're not exactly flush with options at CB. Hopefully Trap gives both Paddy McCarthy and StLedger a shot at some stage..

On the whole I'd agree with citizenerased's starting eleven but wouldn't be too disappointed to see Ireland and/or McGeady replaced by Duff or Hunt...
    Well, we don't have a lot of options anwhere on the pitch. I agree that we need to give unused players a try at centre back though. I too agree with most of citizenerased's starting 11, but the team mostly picks itself. A team that anyone picks is only going to differ from another person's by 2 or 3 players.
    My concerns are global. I reject absolutely revenge, aggression, and retaliation. The foundation of such a method, is love. I love you Sheriff Truman.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Been deliberating on this for a while since the thread started. Would personally go for:

Given

Kelly Dunne O'Shea Kilbane

Carsley
    S Reid A Reid

Keane McGeady
    Doyle

Let Carsley play his natural holding role that he's excelled at with Everton, offering much needed protection to defence and allow both Reid's to go forward when space opens up.

Hopefully we'll have a bit of flexibility with Duff, Ireland, & Long able to play off the front man (and in the long term Keogh & Scannell), with Hunt or Garvan able to step into the midfield, with Steven Reid potentially dropping into Carsley's role in the long term. Hope to God, O'Dea comes through soon and McShane regains a bit of last year's form, as defence is a big concern.

Overall, love the way that Trappatonni has got the young kids all playing the same formation. Our style has always suited a tough in midfield and quick counter attack style so 4-5-1 moving to a 4-3-3 could be the perfect formation if played fluidly. Here's hoping.

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    877 Posts
    Caleb Folan getting a few goals recently... is he good enough to get in the squad? Big lad that seems to have a bit of pace, could be a decent sub for us to give us a bit of different option, but I havent seen enough of him to judge
    Its really not that complicated!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    245 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Razors left peg View Post
    Caleb Folan getting a few goals recently... is he good enough to get in the squad? Big lad that seems to have a bit of pace, could be a decent sub for us to give us a bit of different option, but I havent seen enough of him to judge
    Looked pretty dire at Wigan, but then again maybe he didn't get much service.

Can't hurt giving him a run with Keane though.....if the Keane- Doyle partnership persists I'll be very surprised, it's been totally ineffective.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    877 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by irishfan86 View Post
    Looked pretty dire at Wigan, but then again maybe he didn't get much service.

Can't hurt giving him a run with Keane though.....if the Keane- Doyle partnership persists I'll be very surprised, it's been totally ineffective.
    dont think we can judge the Keane/Doyle partnership until they have worked together on the training ground with a proper coach, they did work well together at times in Wales in fairness

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    245 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Razors left peg View Post
    dont think we can judge the Keane/Doyle partnership until they have worked together on the training ground with a proper coach, they did work well together at times in Wales in fairness
    One good game against a team with a defense as dire as Wales is hardly convincing, especially when you consider it was basically a "competitive friendly."

I stand by my assertion that Robbie needs a big man to partner him. He went through his best goalscoring stretches alongside Mido, and now Berbatov.

He is great at reading flick ons, and playing off a player capable of holding up the ball.

The natural option for me is Alan Lee as I've said before. I'm not saying there is no debate on the issue, I've never seen the combination, but I'd say it's worth a shot.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    I would argue that one game not under Staunton and they looked good. Think about how they can look if they have Tardelli, Brady and Trap.
    In Trap we trust

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    245 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilMcD View Post
    I would argue that one game not under Staunton and they looked good. Think about how they can look if they have Tardelli, Brady and Trap.
    It's a fair point. I'm not advocating that we never try this combination again, I'm just saying that in my view their skill sets do not complement each other, and we should be at least be trying some other options.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    877 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by irishfan86 View Post
    It's a fair point. I'm not advocating that we never try this combination again, I'm just saying that in my view their skill sets do not complement each other, and we should be at least be trying some other options.
    I agree with u that he works best of a big man, but I think Doyle is excellent in the air and they never made proper use of that

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Yeah I saw real signs of two intelligent players playing together in Cardiff. Now I know it was against a very average team, however they seemed to be reading each others passes and flick ons etc. If Keane is in the last third all the time for Ireland and he has Doyle to feed off, Doyle will make intelligent runs and vice versa. I think with lots of work on the training ground and good coaching that they can work together. I am not saying we should not have other ideas up our sleeves but I think its a partnership worth working on, certainly for the immediate future anyway.
    In Trap we trust

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678