Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ronaldo....over?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts

Ronaldo....over?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/foot...pe/7244079.stm

Always tragic to happen to any player but it's especially poignant when he's suffered this injury before and lost over two years of his career.

He's 31 and I certainly think this kind of injury could easily end his career considering he's had it before and he's struggled for full fitness ever since.

Sad to see after he hauled himself back to break the World Cup goals record.

I remember watching him for Inter in the late 90's and thinking he was the best forward of my time. Even though he went off the boil in recent years, he's still played for Real and AC, two of the biggest clubs in the world.
    Extratime.ie

Yo te quiero, mi querida. Sin tus besos, yo soy nada.

Abri o portão de ouro, da maquina do tempo.

Mi mamá me hizo guapo, listo y antimadridista.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    I doubt there was a better striker to play the game. Taking everything into consideration I'd say he has the best goal/game ratio of all time at the top level. What I mean by that is it's getting harder and harder for teams to score every year with improves tactics, fitness, etc. AFAIK Puskas never played in a 0-0 draw. You'd be expecting todays strikers to be scoring a couple every game back then.

Moving away from the stats though he was just so much more than goals. An amazing talent.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    what a pity, world class player, it was on sky today that he was saying for weeks his knee was at him, but was forced to play on, and he was extremely unhappy about this, if true alot more hassle will lie in the future.

Agree with eirebhoy very much so.
    COBH RAMBLERS FIRST DIV CHAMPS 2007

http://irish-abroad.appspot.com/GameDayDetails fantastic website by tetsujin1979

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bellavistaman View Post
    what a pity, world class player, it was on sky today that he was saying for weeks his knee was at him, but was forced to play on,
    story of his career, two or three terrible injuries caused by playing with an injury. Who knows what he could have achieved if he remained injury free.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    25 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eirebhoy View Post
    I doubt there was a better striker to play the game. Taking everything into consideration I'd say he has the best goal/game ratio of all time at the top level. What I mean by that is it's getting harder and harder for teams to score every year with improves tactics, fitness, etc. AFAIK Puskas never played in a 0-0 draw. You'd be expecting todays strikers to be scoring a couple every game back then.

Moving away from the stats though he was just so much more than goals. An amazing talent.
    I think Romario might have better, but I guess his career was winding down as Ronaldo was on top of his game if that's what you're getting at.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    Think I read before that Ronaldo wanted Romario as his partner at France '98, but the coach claimed Romario wasn't fit, so he brought Bebeto instead.
    Romario scored a hat trick in Brazil a week before the World Cup started.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts

Muller, Puskas and Pele are just a few of the players who stats blow Ronaldo out of the water. Kocsis and DiStefano also spring to mind.

That said, the best player of his generation, and I'd put him ahead of Zidane in that. Hard to see him coming back from this at 31, sadly.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    Shame to see him go, even if he did show a distinct lack of principles with Inter Milan. When he was at Barcelona he was head and shoulders above everyone else in the game, shame he ended up getting hacked down in Italy because he could have gone on to be hailed alongside Maradona and Pele in all time great lists. As it is I think Zidane took over from him and became the best player of that generation

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by seand View Post
    Muller, Puskas and Pele are just a few of the players who stats blow Ronaldo out of the water. Kocsis and DiStefano also spring to mind.
    The best thing to do would be to get the average goal per game in the league the seasons those guys were scoring. Do the same for Ronaldo. Then you'll get a value of what a goal is worth now compared to then. A bit like an exchange rate. Is there any sport that can be measured (like snooker, athletics, etc) that hasn't been improving every single year? Footballers are a lot better now than they were 30 or 40 years ago.

5-2
    7-2
    2-3
    2-0
    7-2
    5-2
    2-3
    3-2
    3-4
    3-0
    7-4
    2-3
    2-1
    9-0
    5-1
    0-1
    2-5
    6-1
    1-1
    2-2
    8-2
    4-3
    5-0
    5-0
    5-0
    3-5
    5-2
    12-0
    4-3
    1-1
    6-0
    2-1
    8-0
    5-0
    1-1
    1-2
    5-1
    6-1
    2-1
    3-0
    7-1
    6-0
    2-0
    4-2
    5-0
    1-1
    3-0
    4-2
    5-1
    3-2
    2-2
    6-3
    3-0
    1-0
    7-1
    9-0
    8-3
    2-3
    5-1
    1-1
    3-0
    4-1
    4-2
    2-2
    5-0
    7-3
    6-0
    9-1
    3-1
    5-4
    1-1
    3-1
    6-1
    4-2
    2-0
    1-3
    4-1
    2-2
    4-5
    2-2
    4-1
    3-1
    1-0
    2-1
    2-0

The above the results from all the matches Puskas played for Hungary. Taken from:
    http://www.rsssf.com/miscellaneous/puskas-intlg.html

I've watched loads of old matches on ESPN classic and the standard now is so much higher than before. Take Pele as a 27 or 28 year old and put him into todays game and he would be nowhere near the best imo. Take him as a 13 year old and train him with todays facilities and he'd probably grow up to be the greatest striker currently. The fact is though that they didn't enjoy the improvements that the current players do so I'd be absolutely astonished if a player from 30, 40, 50 years ago was better standard than Ronaldo.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    The fact is though that they didn't enjoy the improvements that the current players do so I'd be absolutely astonished if a player from 30, 40, 50 years ago was better standard than Ronaldo.
    What do you mean?! Didn't Georgie Best once <insert overhyped dribble here> against 10 <insert random team's defenders here> to <insert heroic goal to overlook the fact the man was a wife beating drunk here>

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jebus View Post
    What do you mean?! Didn't Georgie Best once <insert overhyped dribble here> against 10 <insert random team's defenders here> to <insert heroic goal to overlook the fact the man was a wife beating drunk here>

Slagging off dead people you have reached a new low....
    "Joe Jordan is off to watch Young Boys tomorrow" Ian Darke

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    Slagging off dead people you have reached a new low....
    Yeah that really is worse than beating your wife, I apologise, I guess that's why I don't have an airport named after me though

And if you think this is a new low for me then you obviously didn't read my Maddie joke that was pulled from the Joke Thread, even I thought that was too far
    Last edited by jebus; 15/02/2008 at 3:48 PM.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jebus View Post

Christ, you really are an attention seeking whore...well, you got your daily fix, yet again.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Armando View Post
    Christ, you really are an attention seeking whore...well, you got your daily fix, yet again.
    Jebus rides off into the sunset with a self-nflated sense of worth yet again!

I do honestly dislike the way people fawn over that wife beating drunk however

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    He'll be back.
    "No regrets, none at all. My only regret is that we went out on penalties. That's my only regret. But no, no regrets." -Mick McCarthy

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts
    You make some interesting points Eirebhoy, but I don't think you can seriously suggest that "Footballers are a lot better now than they were 30 or 40 years ago." A lot fitter, healthier, faster, yes, but better? Do you really think if Pele had been born in 1978 he would not now be one of greats?

Regarding the average goals per game, I had a very, very quick look at the average number of goals per game for the perios when Ronaldo was at Real 02-07 compared to four seasons in the early 60s when Puskas was at Real. 02-7 there was an average of 2.57 goals per game, 59-63 there was an average of 2.55 goals per game- and Puskas averaged a goal a game.

The best thing to do would be to get the average goal per game in the league the seasons those guys were scoring. Do the same for Ronaldo. Then you'll get a value of what a goal is worth now compared to then. A bit like an exchange rate. Is there any sport that can be measured (like snooker, athletics, etc) that hasn't been improving every single year? Footballers are a lot better now than they were 30 or 40 years ago.

5-2
    7-2
    2-3
    2-0
    7-2
    5-2
    2-3
    3-2
    3-4
    3-0
    7-4
    2-3
    2-1
    9-0
    5-1
    0-1
    2-5
    6-1
    1-1
    2-2
    8-2
    4-3
    5-0
    5-0
    5-0
    3-5
    5-2
    12-0
    4-3
    1-1
    6-0
    2-1
    8-0
    5-0
    1-1
    1-2
    5-1
    6-1
    2-1
    3-0
    7-1
    6-0
    2-0
    4-2
    5-0
    1-1
    3-0
    4-2
    5-1
    3-2
    2-2
    6-3
    3-0
    1-0
    7-1
    9-0
    8-3
    2-3
    5-1
    1-1
    3-0
    4-1
    4-2
    2-2
    5-0
    7-3
    6-0
    9-1
    3-1
    5-4
    1-1
    3-1
    6-1
    4-2
    2-0
    1-3
    4-1
    2-2
    4-5
    2-2
    4-1
    3-1
    1-0
    2-1
    2-0

The above the results from all the matches Puskas played for Hungary. Taken from:
    http://www.rsssf.com/miscellaneous/puskas-intlg.html

I've watched loads of old matches on ESPN classic and the standard now is so much higher than before. Take Pele as a 27 or 28 year old and put him into todays game and he would be nowhere near the best imo. Take him as a 13 year old and train him with todays facilities and he'd probably grow up to be the greatest striker currently. The fact is though that they didn't enjoy the improvements that the current players do so I'd be absolutely astonished if a player from 30, 40, 50 years ago was better standard than Ronaldo.

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    999 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by seand View Post
    You make some interesting points Eirebhoy, but I don't think you can seriously suggest that "Footballers are a lot better now than they were 30 or 40 years ago." A lot fitter, healthier, faster, yes, but better? Do you really think if Pele had been born in 1978 he would not now be one of greats?
    I think you misunderstood eirebhoy.

Take Pele as a 27 or 28 year old and put him into todays game and he would be nowhere near the best imo. Take him as a 13 year old and train him with todays facilities and he'd probably grow up to be the greatest striker currently.
    As in, take Pele in the physical condition he was in as a player, and he'd be lagging behind.

But combine his natural brilliance with today's standards of fitness, and he'd still be the best in the world.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/foot...pe/7737527.stm

I think the longer it takes him to find a club, the more likely he'll just retire.

I really don't see any top clubs coming in for him at this stage.
    Extratime.ie

Yo te quiero, mi querida. Sin tus besos, yo soy nada.

Abri o portão de ouro, da maquina do tempo.

Mi mamá me hizo guapo, listo y antimadridista.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Without doubt the best finisher of all time. An incredible striker and a real legend. Only Romario comes close to his brilliance in one on ones.. I hope he plays on.
    Would love to see him in one more World Cup.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by danonion View Post
    He'll be back.
    George Best? I doubt it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast