Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Champions' League group stages

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Thumbs down Champions' League group stages

Are they the most pointless thing ever? There are very rarely any shocks - the strongest 2 teams inevitably get through. Tell the truth, did anyone REALLY think Liverpool weren't going to get through last year, even when they needed to win their last 3 games?

The whole competition is pedestrian until the quarters, then it really hots up.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    united came 4th in their group about 3/4 years ago. Celtic are only starting to get through,its not always the regulars. thats like sayin the WC qualifiers are pointless as its MOSTLY the same teams that end up being there anyway.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    64 Posts
    The group stage is there to stretch the CL out over the season.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    I feel it would be better to expand the group stages and have sides play each other just once, for example, groups of 5 or 6 instead of 4 but only play each side either home or away and not both. This will allow smaller teams a slice of the cash cake as well as providing the lower ranked teams with some similarly able opponents.
    "Life is like a hair on a toilet seat. Sooner or later you are bound to get pi$$ed off."

"In this league, a draw is sometimes as good as a win" - Steve Morison

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    780 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by brianw82 View Post
    The whole competition is pedestrian until the quarters, then it really hots up.
    Tell that to Roma!

While by and large the main teams do get through, there is, like the World Cup qualifiers, the odd "shock". Smaller or perhaps better less well known clubs are entitled to their moments in the sun even if the primary object of the group stages is to make money for all concerned. It used to be knock-out all the way once upon a time when dinosaurs ruled the earth.
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    200 Posts
    Daylight robbery occured in Turin tonight!

Juve are one of the poorest "big teams" I've seen in a long time.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cfdh_edmundo View Post

all italian teams are. i would glady take a group with Roma,Inter,Juve and Liverpool and be confident that Pool would top it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    33 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OwlsFan View Post
    Tell that to Roma!

While by and large the main teams do get through, there is, like the World Cup qualifiers, the odd "shock". Smaller or perhaps better less well known clubs are entitled to their moments in the sun even if the primary object of the group stages is to make money for all concerned. It used to be knock-out all the way once upon a time when dinosaurs ruled the earth.
    Sometimes the Dinosaurs of (CF?) Real Madrid and FC Barcelona played each other in the Secound Round in the early sixties 'cos real were winning the European Cup and Barcelona were domestic champions of Spain.
    " I'll go right up to here,
    it can't possibly hurt.
    All they will find is my
    beer and my shirt."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    780 Posts
    Saw Arsene Wenger moaning at the referee at the end of the game last night. Does he never give up whinging Decisions balance themselves out over the season. Pathetic. Goal in the last couple of minutes saved a point for them as well.

Mostly watched the Celtic game. Boy (bhoy), is that Samaras infuriating with his poor first touch. Gives the ball away so often. Surprised he stayed on. McGeady only came off the subs' bench and put in a few decent crosses. Never really dominated the game even though the commentators expected a cake walk. Saw bits and bobs of Man U who seemed unlucky not to get at least one peno. All to play for in that group.

So the groups may not be as straight forward as the original poster thought.
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Mostly watched the Celtic game. Boy (bhoy), is that Samaras infuriating with his poor first touch. Gives the ball away so often. Surprised he stayed on. McGeady only came off the subs' bench and put in a few decent crosses. Never really dominated the game even though the commentators expected a cake walk.
    And I was surprised how much Samaras's touch had improved
    Seriously, I thought overall he was well involved or thereabouts.
    The wee lad beside him was out of touch.
    Maloney did well enough, sometimes you'd wish he would decide what he was going to do instead of falling over himself doing a breakdance.

If only McGeady had the body of Andy Reid and vice versa.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    214 Posts
    Man Utd looked a different beast when Ronaldo came on. Thank God he's back for Sunday. Johny Evans got a run out and didn't put a foot wrong.

I think the Champions League format needs changing. Too many teams from the same country, Liege champions of Belgium are playing in the Uefa Cup. Sad really.
    "If God had meant football to be played in the air, he'd have put grass in the sky." Brian Clough.

You'll NEVER beat the Irish.......you'll just draw with us instead!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    780 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    And I was surprised how much Samaras's touch had improved

Doctors differ: patients die . He was involved a lot ok but nearly everything he tried usually ended up with him holding his head in his hands.
    Maloney - a slightly upmarket version of Connolly or Elliott but was let go by Villa for good reason: he's not very good. I would still have kept him on instead of the Greek. Robson (the penalty aside) was very involved and thought he was the most effective player on the pitch.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    Watched the Celtic match. Thought they were fairly one dimensional even if clearly the better side.

Shocking mistake by the linesman ruling Nakamura offside for what should've been a perfectly legit goal.
    " I wish to God that someone would be able to block out the voices in my head for five minutes, the voices that scream, over and over again: "Why do they come to me to die?"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    780 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lionel Ritchie View Post
    Watched the Celtic match. Thought they were fairly one dimensional even if clearly the better side.

Shocking mistake by the linesman ruling Nakamura offside for what should've been a perfectly legit goal.
    Most of the offside decisions were correct to be fair. However, what about the ref sending off the wrong man? The Danes will appeal and he'll get off a suspension and the guilty party won't be punished either I assume.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Most of the offside decisions were correct, the big offside decision wasn't.
    For the Celtic goal, Brown was not offside.
    But it was close enough for an official to think he was.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    34 Posts
    Doctors differ: patients die . He was involved a lot ok but nearly everything he tried usually ended up with him holding his head in his hands.
    Maloney - a slightly upmarket version of Connolly or Elliott but was let go by Villa for good reason: he's not very good. I would still have kept him on instead of the Greek. Robson (the penalty aside) was very involved and thought he was the most effective player on the pitch.

missed first half of match ... did nakamura start .. if so surely he would be no 1 penalty taker or is it to easy from 12 yards for him

" football is a simple game "

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Nakamura started and afaic he was good, at times his sublime touches were a light year ahead of anybody else there.
    I think he missed a penalty once and hasn't taken one since.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    64 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cfdh_edmundo View Post

Juve aren't up to much (well, anything) this year on a European scale but they were the better team against Zenit without a doubt. The winning goal was an absolute screamer aswell.

Quote Originally Posted by newbie View Post
    all italian teams are. i would glady take a group with Roma,Inter,Juve and Liverpool and be confident that Pool would top it.
    I actually fancy Fiorentina to do the best out of the 4. Roma are shocking, Juve and Inter don't convince me.
    Last edited by Mr Maroon; 18/09/2008 at 8:05 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lionel Ritchie View Post
    1st half they were terrible with tactics clearly to try and get the ball over the top of AAB defence. That got changed at half time and I think they deserved to win by 1 or 2. Brown's goal was definitely legit.

Naka was supposed to be penalty taker for the Rangers game btw. Robson wouldn't let go of the ball.

I'm not a Robson fan tbh. Stephen Hunt type player. Limited but puts in so much effort. Brown and Crosas will get a run of games in midfield now. Looking forward to seeing those 2 in midfield with Naka, Maloney and/or McGeady attacking. Some potential there!

International Prospect DmanDmythDledge's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shakermaker1982 View Post
    I think the Champions League format needs changing. Too many teams from the same country, Liege champions of Belgium are playing in the Uefa Cup. Sad really.
    There will be some sort of a change in the qualifying rounds. It will be divided between league champions and teams that finished 2nd/3rd/4th in their domestic leagues. Something like that anyway.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast