Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: You'll Never Walk Alone ?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

You'll Never Walk Alone ?

Lads awful question I know, my dad was saying today that another team used "You'll never walk alone" before Liverpool. Celtic the obvious ones, United to a lesser extent (could be people taking the piddle).

If you could help I'd be greatful I'm insisting on Liverpool he insists otherwise and time is afterall his greatest friend in this case.

I know that they have a link with St. Pauli the german league side but the song dates back to the 60's.

The question is -- What club actually first used the song????
    "Joe Jordan is off to watch Young Boys tomorrow" Ian Darke

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Celtic, liverpool took it and claimed to sing it first, like they'll probably end up trying to do with that hideous version of Athenry they sing.
    A man can have no greater love than give 90 minutes to his friends

Lost in Giovanni Trappatoni's Tactics Board
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    132 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    Lads awful question I know, my dad was saying today that another team used "You'll never walk alone" before Liverpool. Celtic the obvious ones, United to a lesser extent (could be people taking the piddle).

If you could help I'd be greatful I'm insisting on Liverpool he insists otherwise and time is afterall his greatest friend in this case.

I know that they have a link with St. Pauli the german league side but the song dates back to the 60's.

The question is -- What club actually first used the song????
    hey axe man -- i heard Man that United sang it as well as liverpool years and years ago

i believe they sang it after the munich are disaster in 1958

other teams that sing it ..see link
    http://home.no.net/perroe/ynwa/footb...footballuk.htm

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Splurge View Post
    Celtic, liverpool took it and claimed to sing it first
    Can you back that up? Were Rodgers and Hammerstein show tunes popular in the east end of Glasgow in the early sixties?

The Kop sang a lot of pop songs from the day, and when Gerry and the Pacemakers released this they sang it too, but it stuck.
    Ceci n'est pas une signature

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    During the 60's and 70's lots of clubs sang it, right into the 90's clubs like Villa and Boro were still singing it. There's (in)famous footage of United singing it outside the Town Hall when Tommy Doc is telling the fans they'd win the cup the next year on their return from losing to an offside Southamption goal in 76.

Frankly, the scousers and scots are welcome to fight over who sang the awful dirge first, but it was ubiquitous in the 60's and 70's. The Go West of it's era.
    If you attack me with stupidity, I'll be forced to defend myself with sarcasm.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Well, yes, when I said the Kop sang it, I didn't mean exclusively. The point being that when it was released in '63 a lot of clubs sang it, so no-one is stealing it from anyone else.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Who cares?? They both sing it superbly and there's no other club in the World with atmospheres as good as Anfield and Celtic Park. So if your there sing it.. And if not, don't..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts
    Celtic picked it up from Liverpool at the 65-6 Cup Winners Cup semi-final.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    34 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gspain View Post

see here

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/You%27l...one_%28song%29

a show tune out of rodgers & hammerstein musical , carousel 1945
    credited to celtic fans in early 1940's , song also sung at football clubs around the world by massed chorus of supporters on matchday: this tradition began at celtic in the 1940's ....... liverpool only adopted after gerry and pacemakers version in 1963 some 23 years later so the scousers have been singing a celtic song for over 60 years now ... always thought the celtic fans at parkhead version was better anyway .

" football is a simple game "

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by old git View Post
    see here

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/You%27l...one_%28song%29

a show tune out of rodgers & hammerstein musical , carousel 1945
    credited to celtic fans in early 1940's , song also sung at football clubs around the world by massed chorus of supporters on matchday: this tradition began at celtic in the 1940's .......

I see there, but I don't see any evidence to back it up. Back in the '40s people on terraces didn't sing they way they do now. That trend only started in the '60s. Are we to believe that those working class Glaswegians of the '40s liked to sing show tunes on the terraces?
    And if so, at what point did they decide to start to sing it in the style of Gerry and the Pacemakers?

This sounds more plausible.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    34 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by noby View Post
    I see there, but I don't see any evidence to back it up. Back in the '40s people on terraces didn't sing they way they do now. That trend only started in the '60s. Are we to believe that those working class Glaswegians of the '40s liked to sing show tunes on the terraces?
    And if so, at what point did they decide to start to sing it in the style of Gerry and the Pacemakers?

This sounds more plausible.

what evidence do we have it started at liverpool .. only the press / liverpool ...

who is to say celtic fans in the 4o's did not have the original version of todays song,, as for working class glaswegians of the 40's singing show tunes ,, what else had they at the time not a lot of music etc / t.v. it was all shows ,,in 60's after all working class liverpool fans adopted their version of a popular show tune / music from gerry and the pacemakers ..

living in glasgow in 40's during the 2nd world war / struggling to find work the song would have been a perfect anthem for the working class gaswegians..

when you walk through a storm
    hold your head up high
    and don't be afraid of the dark
    at the end of a storm is a golden sky
    and the sweet silver song of a lark
    walk on through the wind
    walk on through the rain
    tho' your dreams be tossed and blown
    walk on, walk on with hope in your heart
    and you'll never walk alone
    you'll never , ever walk alone

so it don't find it hard to believe it may have been possible celtic fans sung first original version of song

there is even stories of man utd fans singing song before liverpool .. in 5o's / 60's ... now that would be some story

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Smile

I surpised the Derry fans haven't claimed it , they seem to be the best at everything and invent all the songs :-)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    34 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by londonred View Post
    I surpised the Derry fans haven't claimed it , they seem to be the best at everything and invent all the songs :-)
    i'm sure they probally will claim it .. just they are all now checking back over the derry version of world history ..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts
    I've read about Celtic fans singing Hail Glorious St Patrick in the 20s, but its a bit of a jump to YNWA. It's appearance onthe Kop at the time of the Gerry and Pacemakers version ala the Beatles tunes at the same time seems eminently more likely.

Here's one for the anti-Scouser brigade (hang on a sec while I put on a helmet),
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/blog...ns-stevenwells

The Panorama clip is well worth a look

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    what evidence do we have it started at liverpool .. only the press
    Only the press? There's tv footage of the Kop singing it in early '64 on a Panorama special, as well as other press accounts. I think that's a little more substantial than a throwaway line on Wikipedia.
    I don't particularly care who sang it first, by the way, but like Grissom I like to follow the evidence.

Personally I think any number of terraces took up the song after the '63 release, but I find it hard to believe it pre-dates this as a terrace song. Before the '60s football crowds were more like GAA crowds, with little or no 'organised' singing and plenty of shouts of encouragement and applause.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    34 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by noby View Post
    Only the press? There's tv footage of the Kop singing it in early '64 on a Panorama special, as well as other press accounts. I think that's a little more substantial than a throwaway line on Wikipedia.
    I don't particularly care who sang it first, by the way, but like Grissom I like to follow the evidence.

Personally I think any number of terraces took up the song after the '63 release, but I find it hard to believe it pre-dates this as a terrace song. Before the '60s football crowds were more like GAA crowds, with little or no 'organised' singing and plenty of shouts of encouragement and applause.
    tv footage was it not the beatles song early 60's ... with the kop singing she loves you yeah / yeah. this was the first memory i have of the famous kop in action..
    most of the evidence does indeed point to liverpool first singing you'll never walk alone.. tv / press etc .. but don't forget in years gone past english media were very pro english .. only one country with best football / rugby / cricket teams / music/ writters you name it . actually they still are the same now

dont forget the same media / t.v acclaimed man utd as the first english winners of the old european cup nearly a year after a homegrown celtic f.c had already won the same competition

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

dont forget the same media / t.v acclaimed man utd as the first english winners of the old european cup nearly a year after a homegrown celtic f.c had already won the same competition

And what part of that claim is false?

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    So Celtic are English?

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by seand View Post
    Here's one for the anti-Scouser brigade (hang on a sec while I put on a helmet),
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/blog...ns-stevenwells
    So we're to believe a yank and a professional scouser with a makey up job at a scouse polytechnic? Don't know whether they invented it, but they definitely went some way to feckin kill it...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast