Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 4 of 28 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Leon Best

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    My mate was at Watford v Coventry last night. He said Chris Woods, now Everton goalkeeping coach (?), was taking notes on Westwood throughout the game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    244 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by youngirish View Post
    Be great if he could get a move to the Premiership in January and if he could do well there. We could possibly have 4 strikers playing regularly in the Premiership come South Africa if we did manage to qualify.

I've always thought Best was a better player than Folan who's just a big lump to drag on every now and then to throw himself about. He offers little otherwise.

Considering all our promising young strikers a few years ago it's amazing how many fell off the radar.
    I still think Folan offers something different in that he's more effective in the air, and better at hold-up play.

There's no question in my mind that Best will score more goals, but against certain teams, having an aerial outlet like Folan has its uses.

I also think Folan has a bit more class than he's given credit for. He's got a pretty good first touch, and is good at directing flick ons with accuracy.

In terms of what all this means, I feel that Folan, if partnered with Robbie, would get the best out of him, whereas if Best and Keane played together, they'd probably play as independent strikers and not link up too well.

I realize a certain amount of this is speculation, but these are my thoughts. Excited to see Best doing so well though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Call me old-fashioned if you like but I prefer strikers who tend to score goals, from what I've seen of Folan he's not going to be a prolific goal getter.
    And you ask me to help you??!! Man is evil!!!! Capable of nothing but destruction!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    244 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Docboy View Post
    Call me old-fashioned if you like but I prefer strikers who tend to score goals, from what I've seen of Folan he's not going to be a prolific goal getter.
    We all like strikers who can score goals, but sometimes the work of what I would call "complementary" strikers make the team overall better, even if they aren't the ones who put the ball in the back of the net.

To put this another way, would you prefer a striker who scored 5, but got no assists, or a striker who got 0 goals and 10 assists?

I'd take the latter every time. Goals are one key ingredient for a striker, but you've got to look at the total package that an individual brings to the table.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Yeah I definitely agree with irishfan there. Remember the potent Quinn/Phillips partnership. I'm sure there were plenty of better goal scorers around than Quinn at that stage but how many would have complimented Phillips as well?

In the case of Best and Folan, Best may well turn out to be a better player for Ireland. However, at the moment Folan is the one out of the two that offers something different, from what I've seen of both, which hasn't been much.
    Last edited by DeLorean; 30/09/2009 at 5:27 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    244 Posts
    For the record, I believe Best will have a better club career and score more goals than Folan for Ireland, but they're different players with different skill sets and attributes.

I agree with the sentiments expressed here about Best though, he is looking a scary player.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by irishfan86 View Post
    I still think Folan offers something different in that he's more effective in the air, and better at hold-up play.
    I don't rate Folan. Very one dimensional, and at best he's only average to good at that one dimension. He tried to be a more rounded player lately but it doesn't come off for him.
    I pity the fool!.... But suggest ways that he might improve himself.

www.thefastleague.com

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    I think people are underestimating Best's presence in the air and his ability to bully defenders.

I thought Folan was excellent in Bari, and started OK in Bulgaria. Poor against SA.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    26 Posts
    What did I tell you all 5 years ago....

An interesting fact also: In last nights game. Will Hoskins scored for Watford and Leon Best scored for Coventry. They both went to the same school at the same time; I can't imagine that has happened too often!
    Last edited by livehead1; 30/09/2009 at 9:49 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    244 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    I think people are underestimating Best's presence in the air and his ability to bully defenders.

I thought Folan was excellent in Bari, and started OK in Bulgaria. Poor against SA.
    He can bully defenders by harrying them and he's too strong to push off the ball, but in the air he's not nearly as effective as Folan (from what I've seen).

Admittedly, I haven't seen a tonne of either player, so I may be wrong on this, but this is what I've picked up from the games I have seen.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    504 Posts
    did a few of the weast ham lads not live on the same road growing up?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Docboy View Post
    we have suffered badly since quinn retired. he never scored a huge amt of goals but always brought the best out of those around him due to his size . Ireland v germany wc 02 being prime example

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,308 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jbyrne View Post
    we have suffered badly since quinn retired. he never scored a huge amt of goals but always brought the best out of those around him due to his size . Ireland v germany wc 02 being prime example
    despite being our second top scorer in international football?
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    despite being our second top scorer in international football?
    21 goals over 92 internationals is not a big return. always helped others to score though

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by livehead1 View Post
    What did I tell you all 5 years ago....
    Hah I've been waiting on that one!!!
    I pity the fool!.... But suggest ways that he might improve himself.

www.thefastleague.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    21 goals over 92 internationals is not a big return. always helped others to score though
    He got some right important ones in fairness-

Palermo equaliser v Holland
    Wembley equaliser v England
    Lansdowne equaliser v Denmark

Maybe more, can't rememer. I'd say the highest quality opposition and most important goal Aldridge scored was against Mexico. Never really scored against any really big teams that I can remember despite the ones against Malta being important. Man I'm gone way off topic, that Best looks a good player

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Not sure where I read it but I remember reading an interview with Chris Coleman talking about how the penny seems to have dropped with Best. He alluded to Best's inclusion in recent Ireland squad's as the reason behind his recent progression and suggested that it's a real motivation for him.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post

Maybe more, can't rememer. I'd say the highest quality opposition and most important goal Aldridge scored was against Mexico. Never really scored against any really big teams that I can remember despite the ones against Malta being important. Man I'm gone way off topic, that Best looks a good player
    i wasnt having a pop at quinn. complete opposite actually. my original post was just pointing out that we have bissed having a big man since he retired

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    i wasnt having a pop at quinn. complete opposite actually. my original post was just pointing out that we have bissed having a big man since he retired
    I didn't for a second think you were. I totally took it that you were praising him actually. I probably used the words "in fairness" for no good reason.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post

remember the goal Aldo tried to claim against portugal at home in our 1-0 win in the Euro 96 campaign i think. Was an own goal by their goalkeeper Baia (?), Aldo didnt even touch it!!

Page 4 of 28 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast