Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 3 of 28 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Leon Best

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    leon best should be given a chance in a friendly if we were willing to give folan a shot then best deserves one too
    We control by attitudes positive mental attitudes not by rules.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,691 Posts
    yeah, but was Folan really deserving of a call up? I think he got his call up only because of his size.

In my opinion Jonathan Walters deserves a look. Another goal today.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    yeah, but was Folan really deserving of a call up? I think he got his call up only because of his size.

In my opinion Jonathan Walters deserves a look. Another goal today.
    He's top of the actim stats for his division.
    "No regrets, none at all. My only regret is that we went out on penalties. That's my only regret. But no, no regrets." -Mick McCarthy

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    Bit of a judgement to make on a player you've only seen on "rare occasions". Just as a comparison, how often have you seen Murphy play?
    Many, many times. Most of them this season in the premiership though I did see him a few times the two seasons prior. He's pretty sh*t irrespective of his wonder goal.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,691 Posts
    I've usually been underwhelmed by Murphy but the quality of his cross for Doyle's goal against Bolivia and the quality of his crosses against Spurs recently leads me to think there's maybe something there just dying to be coaxed out! By itself his recent wonder goal says nothing but on top of his performance against Spurs I think it shows he can play a bit. Consistently? Who knows?

Just curious Youngirish - did you see the 3 crosses I'm talking about against Spurs? We discussed it here a few weeks ago. I think it was Irishfan86 (or Irishpraha) who was also particularly impressed.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts
    I've usually been underwhelmed by Murphy but the quality of his cross for Doyle's goal against Bolivia and the quality of his crosses against Spurs recently leads me to think there's maybe something there just dying to be coaxed out! By itself his recent wonder goal says nothing but on top of his performance against Spurs I think it shows he can play a bit. Consistently? Who knows?

Just curious Youngirish - did you see the 3 crosses I'm talking about against Spurs? We discussed it here a few weeks ago. I think it was Irishfan86 (or Irishpraha) who was also particularly impressed.
    Murphy is a player who is consistently improving all the time, albeit in small increments. Look at his career and you will see it. He reminds me of Mark Kinsella, who did the very same, although Murphy is well ahead of where Kinsella was at this stage of his career. Can't be discounted if he continues to improve, although I would not have him in the squad ahead of Clinton Morrison.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    244 Posts

Yeah, it was me.

I'd say I'd have Murphy nowhere near the squad for a forward place, but he's definitely got to be considered for one of the spots on the wings.

Very unorthodox winger physically, but that's where he's played his best football for Sunderland. Up front he's not physical enough for a big man, and not fast enough to get behind defenses.

No superstar, but useful in certain situations, and given our team of midgets his height has to be a consideration.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    There was bit about Best in the Indo http://www.independent.ie/sport/socc...e-1756594.html

His international career has had several setbacks but he describes it as a "blessing" that he is now in the squad with Trapattoni confirming yesterday that he will travel to Sofia. At one point stories circulated that he would instead play for England but having been born in England to an Irish mother and returned to live in Inchicore for four years when he was eight, Best said the rumours were inaccurate.
    "Ireland and England called me up when I was on loan at Shefield Wed I broke my fifth metatarsal on my second game into the new season and went back to Southampton and didn't travel for the Ireland squad. I think the mix-up came with people saying I was going to play for England and I was going to do this and that. But the only reason I didn't travel for Ireland was because I had broken my fifth metatarsal."
    He was criticised by some but seems to be another young player who has difficulty being understood. "It's hard when people say 'how come you haven't been involved with Ireland?' because I don't think it was a matter of I wasn't good enough to play for them, I think it was that they thought I didn't want to. But I never got a phone call from anyone asking me did I want to play for Ireland. I think that was the disappointing thing. Because if anybody at a high level had asked me do I want to play for Ireland I would have been on the plane."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    26 Posts
    ..Which I think is exactly what I told you all a few weeks ago!...Also, he never lived in Inchicore from 8 to 12!
    Last edited by livehead1; 31/05/2009 at 6:41 PM.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    192 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by livehead1 View Post
    ...Also, he never lived in Inchicore from 8 to 12!
    ...from Thursday's Indo..

Nottingham-born Best lived in Dublin for a period of his youth and, despite representing Ireland at U-17 and U-18 level, there was confusion over his international allegiance in 2005 when England named the front man in an U-20 selection.

Injury prevented him from making a decision -- Ireland had summoned him at the same time -- but he says there was no choice to make anyway.

"Because I didn't go with any of them, somebody in green probably had the wrong impression, but, like I said, when I was young, Ireland always showed me a lot of loyalty and I'll show it back," said Best.

"I went to Cherry Orchard school, I played for Lourdes Celtic and lived in Bluebell. It's a big part of me, most of family are in Ireland and my brother, Stephen, who lives in Bluebell will be coming over for the game."

http://www.independent.ie/sport/socc...e-1753135.html
    "There's man all over for you, blaming on his boots the fault of his feet" - Samuel Beckett, Waiting for Godot

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    26 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EastTerracer View Post
    ...from Thursday's Indo..

Nottingham-born Best lived in Dublin for a period of his youth and, despite representing Ireland at U-17 and U-18 level, there was confusion over his international allegiance in 2005 when England named the front man in an U-20 selection.

Injury prevented him from making a decision -- Ireland had summoned him at the same time -- but he says there was no choice to make anyway.

"Because I didn't go with any of them, somebody in green probably had the wrong impression, but, like I said, when I was young, Ireland always showed me a lot of loyalty and I'll show it back," said Best.

"I went to Cherry Orchard school, I played for Lourdes Celtic and lived in Bluebell. It's a big part of me, most of family are in Ireland and my brother, Stephen, who lives in Bluebell will be coming over for the game."

http://www.independent.ie/sport/socc...e-1753135.html
    Yep, think it was more 8-10 though, definately not till 12 as I knew him then.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    161 Posts
    2 more goals for Best tonight. I'm starting to believe this guy is the real deal. I really like the way he is progressing.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Noelys Guitar View Post
    2 more goals for Best tonight. I'm starting to believe this guy is the real deal. I really like the way he is progressing.
    Seeing the progress of leon best has really filled me with confidence in terms of traps ability to spot talent in a player.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    This fella could be the Kevin Doyle of the Championship this season. I had high hopes of Noel Hunt and Shane Long battling for the Championships Golden Boot but it could be Best and Morrison now. How old is Leon Best? Great to see him score again last night!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lenny82 View Post
    How old is Leon Best?
    Just turned 23.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Seems to have come on in leaps and bounds this season, I wonder has the call up given his confidence a boost. Good to see anyway.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    A lot of mates of mine are Cov fans and reckon that he has been unplayable in a few games this season. Always seemed to have the movement before but was maybe not the finshed article. Appears that he has bulked up a bit this season and his strength is becoming a key factor.

However, Keiran Westwood is rated as high, if not higher - apparently he was meant to be class last night.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts
    Have to admit i allowed myself a broad smile when i saw Best's name come up on the Sky Sports news 'ticker' last night. Lets hope he keeps up this form and his progress. To be honest the South Africa game was the first time i'd gotten a decent look at Best and I liked what i saw.

I'm constantly looking out for the Coventry results at the moment, what with Best, Westwood and Clinton in great form. Funny how it goes eh; never thought i'd end up the slightest bit bothered about what Coventry City were up to!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,308 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Manc Irish Wolf View Post
    However, Keiran Westwood is rated as high, if not higher - apparently he was meant to be class last night.
    the text commentary had Westwood as the key player for Coventry alright
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Be great if he could get a move to the Premiership in January and if he could do well there. We could possibly have 4 strikers playing regularly in the Premiership come South Africa if we did manage to qualify.

I've always thought Best was a better player than Folan who's just a big lump to drag on every now and then to throw himself about. He offers little otherwise.

Considering all our promising young strikers a few years ago it's amazing how many fell off the radar.
    Last edited by youngirish; 30/09/2009 at 1:41 PM.

Page 3 of 28 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast