Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 2 of 28 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Leon Best

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    He is past his 21st birthday and has played competitive under-age games for Ireland so he can't play for anyone esle.

NI should do their research first, they're acting a bit like the FAI I still get annoyed when I remember the FAI making approaches to Aaron Lennon & Gary Cahill.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Have only seen Best on rare occasions (the FA youth cup final a few years ago springs to mind) and he seems to potentially have the makings of a very decent striker though he is a bit of a confidence player IMO. I'd certainly think he could be more use to us in the long run than the likes of Daryl Murphy, Stephen Elliot or Andy Keogh who are regularly called up to our squads and will never be good enough for International football as far as I can see (in fairness Elliot has suffered terribly from injury which seems to have stalled his career).

If he bangs in a few more goals this season I'd include him in the squad for an upcoming friendly instead of one of the aforementioned.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    You have to laugh at Norn Iron. They make a program about how ROI are poaching there players and now they are doing the same priceless.

Grand for them to do it eh?

If they want to do it let them at least we wont cry over it like them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibernian View Post
    You have to laugh at Norn Iron. They make a program about how ROI are poaching there players and now they are doing the same priceless.

Grand for them to do it eh?

If they want to do it let them at least we wont cry over it like them.
    Irony isn't their strong point obviously.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    51 Posts
    What amazes me is that an International Team manager doesnt know the basic of International eligibility rules....
    "Jacques Santini...will be greeted in every dugout of the country by "one-nil, one-nil" - Clive Tyldsley, 89th minute of France-England June 13, 2004.
    "Ooooohhhh Nooooooo" Bobby Robson 91st minute.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,690 Posts
    I'm not convinced by Best. Talented & athletic young player who scores goals in streaks then goes ages without scoring. I'm not a big fan of his attitude either, he looks like a really moody sort and a bit of a me feinner (I don't know how to insert a fada!).

He needs to start being one of the better Championship forwards before he can be considered as an option for our squad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    im hardly gonna lose any sleep if he goes to the men up north...he's no walcott or anything like that...we're ok for young strikers anyway (just about...we'll get by!)

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post

He needs to start being one of the better Championship forwards before he can be considered as an option for our squad.
    Surely Stutts he's just as worthy of a place in the squad as Andy Keogh or Stephen Elliot?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Elliot hasn't been in the squad in a long time.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eirebhoy View Post
    that's very true

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,306 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eirebhoy View Post
    He was in the squad for the Germany/Cyprus double header and had to pull out due to injury, but I think the last time he played was the away game to Germany.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,690 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by youngirish View Post
    Surely Stutts he's just as worthy of a place in the squad as Andy Keogh or Stephen Elliot?
    Personally I reckon Elliott is toast unfortuanately. Great natural finisher but it appears his body just isn't up to the rigours of a tough football season. As eb says, Elliott hasn't been in the squad for a good while anyway.

Keogh shouldn't have been in the senior squad yet and certainly not as a right sided midfielder. You know my views on our better U21s being played at senior level unless they're really exceptional. A good U21 player for now and maybe (I'd say probably) one for the future. More of a no. 10 than a no.9 if you know what I mean.

I know you keep an eye on the Championship. I watched Jonathan Walters for the first time live on Tuesday and was massively impressed. Mobile, quick, physical, good head, good feet, good team player, good brain, good at holding it up & direct.

I'm surprised you're writing off Murphy. He's far from flawless but is showing signs of adapting to a higher level, especially as he's being used all over the place.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts

I'm surprised you're writing off Murphy. He's far from flawless but is showing signs of adapting to a higher level, especially as he's being used all over the place.
    I just don't see Murphy as being ever anything other than a decent Championship player. I agree he's been decent for Sunderland in the last few games but I don't see him being consistently good enough over a season to stake a consistent claim for a starting place in any premiership side for more than a few games.

Best is still young and should get better. He's possibly talented enough to make it as a striker in the Premiership in the future but only time will tell. Murphy is hardly going to get much better. I think he's 25 now.

I do like the look of Sean Scannell so far at Palace though. We'll see how it goes.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,690 Posts
    I do like the look of Sean Scannell so far at Palace though. We'll see how it goes.
    I saw him on Tuesday against Ipswich. He looked like a 17 year old in amongst the big boys. The fact that he held his own is probably a good enough sign.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I saw him on Tuesday against Ipswich. He looked like a 17 year old in amongst the big boys. The fact that he held his own is probably a good enough sign.

I've been watching Scannell for the last 6 months now, before Warnock came in, he was one of young Eagles people were going on about, Bostock and Moses being the other 2.

Scannell looks good when he comes off the bench and uses his pace, but when he starts I think he's slightly out of his depth, he's not always making the right decisions when the ball comes to him - though this is purely down to him being so young, it'll improve, there's no rush with him.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,690 Posts
    Despite being comfortably handled by the Ipswich left back all night, when he moved inside into the melee that ensued after a few Palace attacks he very nearly set up a team mate and also very nearly scored with a volley. It was as an orthodox wide player that he was totally in his marker's pocket but he obviously has the brains to look for scraps in less orthodox situations. It was a real battle of attrition on Tiesday so a 17 year old was never going to stand out. Any game time at all he gets at that age is a plus.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Despite being comfortably handled by the Ipswich left back all night, when he moved inside into the melee that ensued after a few Palace attacks he very nearly set up a team mate and also very nearly scored with a volley. It was as an orthodox wide player that he was totally in his marker's pocket but he obviously has the brains to look for scraps in less orthodox situations. It was a real battle of attrition on Tiesday so a 17 year old was never going to stand out. Any game time at all he gets at that age is a plus.

Agreed...to be honest, I'd like to see Scannell rested for a few games, put him on the bench. The more games he starts, I'm only afraid that hype might get to him...he's only 17, no harm in resting him at all.

It's mad, say 6 months ago, the English press were raving about Moses and Bostock, ok both are very good, but they're not starting as many games as Scannell (I'm not making comparisons between the 3).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,306 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Majik View Post
    It's mad, say 6 months ago, the English press were raving about Moses and Bostock, ok both are very good, but they're not starting as many games as Scannell (I'm not making comparisons between the 3).
    Scannell's been linked with Man City and Villa as well.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,306 Posts
    Have only seen Best on rare occasions (the FA youth cup final a few years ago springs to mind) and he seems to potentially have the makings of a very decent striker though he is a bit of a confidence player IMO.
    Best is still young and should get better. He's possibly talented enough to make it as a striker in the Premiership in the future but only time will tell.
    Bit of a judgement to make on a player you've only seen on "rare occasions". Just as a comparison, how often have you seen Murphy play?
    Last edited by tetsujin1979; 16/02/2008 at 3:50 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    I haven't seen a lot of Scannell but never looked out of his depth to me. Looks like he's about 12 but with the brain of a much older player. I like how he kept things simple. For a "flair" player at that age it's a good sign. Simple passes are usually the last resort for a lot of players at that age.

Page 2 of 28 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast