Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: UEFA Complaint re booing

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,187 Posts

UEFA Complaint re booing

According to the Irish Times, there's an formal complaint being made to UEFA about the booing at recent Ireland games. It's an independent complaint from the founder of Sport Against Racism in Ireland, Ken McCue, who called the booing "disturbing". He's also quoted as saying "I am afraid there is a nasty element creeping into the game in Ireland that has heretofore not been evident among out fan base." and also says that he's "very concerned about the degeneration of our reputation and the use of our game to peddle hatred and bigotry". He's calling for the implementation of a UEFA-endorsed anti-racism plan to be used in Ireland.

It's not a complaint from an official UEFA delegate, so nothing's giong to happen to the FAI over it, but it's good to see a public anti-stance on the booing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    i'm delighted, fair play to him and the fact that it's been reported in a major national daily. maybe the next complaint that comes in will be from a UEFA observer and it'll spur the FAI into action on this.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Thumbs up

Will make it that bit harder for people to justify the booing as acceptable.
    http://www.forastrust.ie/

Bring back Rocketman!

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    These annoying little ****wits can shove their Celtic up their ass

Do you think UEFA should word their warning like that
    I'm gonna take a blow torch to everyone who writes "any info on......." on the desks in the ucc library.

Who's with me

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    708 Posts
    Originally posted by Silvio Dante
    What are they going to do? Close down Landsdowne because a Rangers player gets booed? I think not....
    They can do exactly that. If the level of booing becomes unacceptable (and many of us here feel it already has) then UEFA could force us to play some matches behind closed doors. In other words, the bigots and assorted other muppets could cost us our entertainment, and the FAI about half a million quid.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    just because it hasn't happened in the past doiesn't mean it won't happen in the future, all the boo boys are muppets !!!!!!!!
    Ignore Max Power, he is no more, the future is Ron Burgundy. I'd love to be Ron Burgundy but they won't let me........

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    these are not a few boos, have you been there and heard them, it was disgrecful, with the brains these muppets have it should be moo instead of boo.
    Ignore Max Power, he is no more, the future is Ron Burgundy. I'd love to be Ron Burgundy but they won't let me........

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Picture the scenarios:

1. Italy v Holland in the San Siro. Are you telling me that Davids doesn't get a hell of alot more abuse than the Landsdowne boos.

or
    2. Spain v Brazil in the Nou Camp. Ronaldo steps onto the pitch and doesn't get as much abuse as Averladze got?

Come on. A few boos have never closed a ground down before, or even come close, and never will....
    Don't know how you equal Ireland V Georgia to those examples. You seem to be suggesting that the georgian player plays for thre ivals of the Landsdowne home team.

http://www.forastrust.ie/

Bring back Rocketman!

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,187 Posts
    There's not a snowballs chance in hell. Can you cite one example of this happening in the past...?
    Slovakia made to play their home game against Liechtenstein behind closed doors after racial abuse against England.

And that wasn't even audible on TV.

Anyway, if you'd have bothered to read the post fully rather than jump in automatically with your idiotic bigotry, you'd have seen the answer to your own question - yer man is calling on UEFA to implement an anti-bigotry programme in Ireland. Or did reading the post sound like too much hard work?
    Last edited by pineapple stu; 26/06/2003 at 8:13 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    196 Posts

Exclamation ............

So Rascist Chants=Booing now? Since when...?
    No matter what kinda cráp word play you come up with here, it is really up to what everyone else thinks ..... and that is that it was racially motivated abuse.

That is the short of it.

And as long as they keep doing it and we all complain about it, it will happen. And i for one would take it on the chin, if it meant shutting these fools up for good. Keep all that tripe for Sell-Thick park. idiots ....
    The SFAI are the governing body for grassroots football in Ireland, not the FAI. Its success or the lack of is all down to them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    from www.examiner.ie, the booing fiasco taken a step further. if this crap doesn't stop it will damage our reputation in the long run, it's a shame that this mindless, indefensible rubbish should occur.

FAI makes ‘robust response’ to charge of racism

By Bill George
    THE FAI were obliged to counter a charge of racism from UEFA after Rangers’ player Shota Arveladze was booed in last month’s European Championship qualifying tie against Georgia in Lansdowne Road.

An FAI spokesman yesterday confirmed they had made “a robust response” to the charge and affirmed their support for the anti-racist campaign waged by the world governing bodies of football.

“We emphasised to UEFA that the FAI is very strong on the issue of racism” said the spokesman.

“And we pointed out that it was just a very small minority who had engaged in that activity. We take the issue very seriously and showed UEFA how pro-active we are in that regard.”

The demand from UEFA that the FAI answer the charge was a huge embarrassment to the FAI and will come as a severe blow to genuine Irish football fans and members of the supporters’ club.

The fans exemplary behaviour earned several international awards for fair play but this latest episode has tarnished that image.

The letter from UEFA followed the ridiculous behaviour of the minority who concentrated on Arveladze solely because he plays for Rangers.

Regrettably, it was not an isolated incident for other Rangers’ players were also booed at Lansdowne Road.

Tore Andre Flo was booed when he played for Norway in April as was Peter Lovenkrands with Denmark in March 2002.

The UEFA action was taken on foot of a complaint from a supporter who was at the match. I was unable to
    establish whether the complaint had come from an Irish or a Georgian fan.

The UEFA observer at the game, I believe, did not include any reference to the booing in his report.

The FAI response to the charge was delivered quickly and was with UEFA within 48 hours of the complaint.

In their defence, the FAI were able to point to an anti-racism notice they included alongside the team-sheet in the centre page of the match programme.

The FAI is actively looking at possible ways of stamping out racist behaviour and it is likely they will look for the active support of the genuine fans at future matches.

Their embarrassment was heightened during the match against Denmark when a request over the PA system for fans to quit booing Lovenkrands sparked more booing.

There was an element of good-nature about it when fans started to boo the Irish players as well as if to level the playing field, but it was an action open to conflicting interpretations.

There was a sequel to the incidents at the recent match against Georgia. Arveladze took ill on the team coach returning to the hotel after the game and spent the night in a Dublin hospital.

His illness had nothing to do with the booing incidents.

The FAI medical team remained in close contact with the player and when he returned to his hotel the following day, FAI chief executive Fran Rooney made a call to his room.

Arveladze was not there but returned the call and on receiving Rooney’s apology for the fans’ behaviour stressed that it had not upset him.

Indeed, the Georgia FA later sent an official letter to the president of the FAI Milo Corcoran, paying tribute to the FAI for the way in which they had looked after Arveladze and the level of co-operation the entire party had received on their visit to Ireland.

Neil
    The chap is a Hun.
    Who is?

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    more proof than ver that these simple minded bigots are dragging our reputation thru the mire. Let them fcuk off to drumcree or something if they want to boo huns

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Silvio Dante you pathetic ****. As well as being a bigot who thinks less of people because of their religion, you also got the wrong religion. Shota Arveladze is a muslim.
    I'm gonna take a blow torch to everyone who writes "any info on......." on the desks in the ucc library.

Who's with me

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    174 Posts
    Originally posted by tiktok
    His illness had nothing to do with the booing incidents.
    We're not arrogant, we're just better.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Originally posted by Schumi
    i suppose some people might have thought it was stress related from people booing him. maybe?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Rascism...??? Come on. This is sooo over the top its untrue.
    do me a favour Silvio, and give me your definition of what Racism is so we can all be clear

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Originally posted by pineapple stu
    Slovakia made to play their home game against Liechtenstein behind closed doors after racial abuse against England.

And that wasn't even audible on TV.
    Small point but I watched this game live on BBC and the 'monkey noises' made at Heskey and Ashley Cole every time they touched the ball, were clearly audible on the TV and seemed to be coming from large sections of the crowd. The commentators even commented on it. It was the first thing Beckham talked about in his post match interview.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Originally posted by tiktok
    do me a favour Silvio, and give me your definition of what Racism is so we can all be clear
    Maybe you could clear up this one up for me as I'm not sure what your getting at?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    fair enough, you might not consider it racism, in that attacking averladze wasn't based on his race and his nationality. but it's misleading (or just daft) to deny that the celtic led abuse of rangers players is free of religious bigotry (when historically the rivalry of their fans is steeped in it), which in my book is tantamount to racism.

i don't see how anyone can defend or even justify these absolute morons who carried this abuse out, even moreso now that our football association has had to answer the charge on it. is it really worth the damage this abuse can do to the reputation our fans have built over years so that a few idiots can get their bigoted jollies.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast