Thread: Fran Gavin on AIL proposals in Sunday Indo

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Fran Gavin on AIL proposals in Sunday Indo

http://www.independent.ie/sport/othe...t-1286438.html

Getting praise from the FAI is kinda like when the teacher everyone hates say's you're a fine example to the rest of the class.
    Last edited by Mr_T; 11/02/2008 at 1:33 PM. Reason: typo

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    The Platinum One proposals are the best thing that has happened to the League of Ireland since the introduction of Promotion and Relegation in 1985.

The FAI is clearly rattled, and it has given them one-hell of a kick up the arse.

Regardless of whether the Platinum proposals ever actually amount to much, Irish football will be the better for the fact that it has given a lazy organisation some much-needed competition for the loyalty of our clubs.

EL clubs should get together every decade or so and threaten an AIL, purely as a means of pushing the FAI into action....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    123 Posts
    are platinums one proposals an attempt to kickstart a debate on an AIL or is it a plan they see as workable , i ask because while i think it does have some positive ideas it is a long long way from been acceptable to anybody outside the 10/12 clubs its aimed at.also was that article an attempt to end the interest of platinum one
    I wish i did not know then what I dont know now

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by passerrby View Post
    are platinums one proposals an attempt to kickstart a debate on an AIL or is it a plan they see as workable , i ask because while i think it does have some positive ideas it is a long long way from been acceptable to anybody outside the 10/12 clubs its aimed at.also was that article an attempt to end the interest of platinum one
    I have no doubt that Platinum One are serious in their aims. Havn't they taken on costs in pursuing their proposals to-date (e.g. Jim Roddy's salary) ?

As for any suggested attempt by Gavin to end Platinum's interest - I also have no doubt it would take a lot more than a rather one-sided newspaper article by one of the 'rabbits in headlights' at the FAI to act as a death-knell to their interest.

For as long as a decent number of the biggest clubs on the island are interested in their proposals, Platinum One will continue to pursue them. And why wouldn't they be ?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Interesting that he mentions the Setanta Sports Cup,a competition that was instigated and is kept afloat by a third party (i.e Setata Sports).Yet he's against any club,sponsor or organisation having any proposals on the future of Irish football.

If the FAI are interested in an AIL then they should formulate their own prosposals to counter Platinum One.This is just another case of them trying to hinder any opposition to them.Gavin is trying to foster the image that individual Eircom League clubs cant possibly care for Irish football and only the FAI know best.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    123 Posts
    given that it looks like the FAI will not support anybody else running it will it take a breakaway for this to become a reality and do you think it will happen during or after the lifetime of the present agreement (four years roughly)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    196 Posts
    given that it looks like the FAI will not support anybody else running it, will it take a breakaway for this to become a reality
    I definitely looks that way now.

and do you think it will happen during or after the lifetime of the present agreement (four years roughly)
    I think all clubs would be absolutely mad considering a move before hand.

I definitely think that the IFA and the FAI really need to get to work on this quick smart. What the big clubs are looking for is the opportunity to bring a package to a wider audience that will possibly garner much interest for people inside and outside the league, new sponsorship and all the benefits that go with.

If the IFA and FAI can provide such an option then its would really be in their best interests to do so.

If they could do it, a viable means of doing so then i have to say i would prefer them running an AIL (given their renewed interest in improving the league, and that would be a condition) with full inclusion of all the clubs that currently exist in the leagues (A League included)

They are the devil we know if you will, but if Platinum One offer something that clubs cant walk away from then the IFA and FAI wont have a leg to stand on.

I have always wished that the FAI would get their ass in gear and now i am wishing it even more to be honest.

One thing you have to consider, the other thread re: schoolboy leagues and relationship between LOI clubs etc. How would Platinum One tackle this, not very well i can only imagine. That is one huge plus point for the FAI. If they can improve the relationship there then they have a huge plus point straight away.
    The SFAI are the governing body for grassroots football in Ireland, not the FAI. Its success or the lack of is all down to them.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    288 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint MacDara View Post
    Interesting that he mentions the Setanta Sports Cup,a competition that was instigated and is kept afloat by a third party (i.e Setata Sports).Yet he's against any club,sponsor or organisation having any proposals on the future of Irish football.

If the FAI are interested in an AIL then they should formulate their own prosposals to counter Platinum One.This is just another case of them trying to hinder any opposition to them.Gavin is trying to foster the image that individual Eircom League clubs cant possibly care for Irish football and only the FAI know best.
    Exactly.

The mood coming from certain people involved in the negotiations for an AIL is that, the AIL WILL happen with or without the FAI. At the moment the FAI are behaving like a teenager that doesn't look like it will get it's own way. I do admit that there are some very good people in the FAI, but they always seem to be overshadowed by clowns.

Television rights for such a competition will go to highest bidder. The television money received by Galway United in the 2007 season was €4,000. Don't quote me on that, but that is a ridiculous amount. Clubs need to maximise their potential revenues. Television is only one of them, but it is potentially the biggest, over time.

I dont give a damn what channel shows the games, if money is coming in.

I'll be at the games in any case.
    Last edited by gufcfan; 11/02/2008 at 4:55 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    123 Posts
    [QUOTE=A face;875122]I definitely looks that way now. QUOTE]

if that happens and it does look possible then would they how would that work in relation to uefa ,refs etc,also some excellent points about the link to junior football they would have to be included in some way

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    123 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint MacDara View Post
    but I believe they are interested in an AIL but will let pentinum one do all the running and then step in to take over

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    196 Posts
    but I believe they are interested in an AIL but will let pentinum one do all the running and then step in to take over
    Not a chance, they wont be privy to what's going on.

Make no mistake, if the IFA/FAI have the head in the sand or don't act in a timely manner to put up an equally if not better proposal then this could very well go ahead.

If IFA/FAI do have a proposal to context then they have to sell it to the clubs who are behind this. They have to be in a position to have them say ...

'Sheeze, what they've got is far better that ours. Its actually in our best interests to stick with this lot. Will the next participation agreement be five years too? We'll hang in there for another while so.'

That's what they need to do.

IFA/FAI Advantages

- The ability to press on and develop an AIL themselves.

- Administration of schoolboy/junior football and the possibility of improving the relationship between them and LOI clubs and evolving to a proper tiered structure for football on this island

- The affiliation with FIFA/UEFA already with the bargain chip 'Look what we're doing here, this will be great for football on this island', basically clout where its needed.

- The feel good factor for Irish Football if Trappatoni gets us to a major competition, the country will be walking on air again and they will have done it.

- Structures in place already such as commercial, communications, technical, finance, human resources (outlined by Gavin) along with development programmes, refs, coaches, experience with registration of players etc. as opposed to starting everything from scratch where you would think that alot of that would be applicable in the business world as well but they could find its a tad different.

- Experience of competitions on a big scale, Euros, World Cups, all the Under-age levels internationally, etc. experience that cannot be over looked.

What way would the rule book be with the splinter group? Things like that would all have to be considered. Also, what happens if it falls over with the new lot? The IFA/FAI are big enough to weather a fair bit i'd say. Would the new lot just up and run? Would clubs fold over it, given it would fold for a reason.

The thing is .... it will go ahead if the IFA/FAI don't get onto this, they will lose control of this. They wont be in the loop. They wont have a say. I dont know do they realise that impact, obviously they wont fully know until/if it happens. The top tier of clubs completely missing and the fallout afterwards is what they are dealing with. That would be some serious kick in the teeth.
    Last edited by A face; 11/02/2008 at 9:11 PM.
    The SFAI are the governing body for grassroots football in Ireland, not the FAI. Its success or the lack of is all down to them.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Fran Gavin spoke about this in recent Fans Forum & made some good points.

* Platinum One (or someone else) would take commission from TV deal
    * Current proposals only involve an elite.

I do have issues with low sums involved in current TV deals but some of this does go into prize money. The exposure of new RTE deal could potential be better than anything on cable TV (Only a fraction of the population get Setanta) as RTE would bring in 3-4 times viewers alternative stations.

The eL office seems to be run under the 5 year league contract & unless instructed not sure if they can investigate AIL option?
    http://www.forastrust.ie/

Bring back Rocketman!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    196 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pete View Post
    The eL office seems to be run under the 5 year league contract & unless instructed not sure if they can investigate AIL option?
    But there is nothing stopping the IFA/FAI from talking about it. I know there is some sort of a forum setup now for better communication between the two, but i hope that this forum realise that this is the biggest thing on the horizon for them.

In fact, if they don't address it then i dare say that irreparable damage could be done (worst case scenario) and it could all be totally out of their hands while it happens.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by A face View Post
    IFA/FAI Advantages

- The ability to press on and develop an AIL themselves.

- Administration of schoolboy/junior football and the possibility of improving the relationship between them and LOI clubs and evolving to a proper tiered structure for football on this island

- The affiliation with FIFA/UEFA already with the bargain chip 'Look what we're doing here, this will be great for football on this island', basically clout where its needed.

- The feel good factor for Irish Football if Trappatoni gets us to a major competition, the country will be walking on air again and they will have done it.

- Structures in place already such as commercial, communications, technical, finance, human resources (outlined by Gavin) along with development programmes, refs, coaches, experience with registration of players etc. as opposed to starting everything from scratch where you would think that alot of that would be applicable in the business world as well but they could find its a tad different.

- Experience of competitions on a big scale, Euros, World Cups, all the Under-age levels internationally, etc. experience that cannot be over looked.
    -Ownership of Turners' Cross.

If the FAI oppose this, they have plenty of cards they could play. Enough that I don't see it happening without their consent.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    196 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bald Student View Post
    -Ownership of Turners' Cross.
    New stadium and training grounds in the pipeline. Owners wont deal with MFA after meeting with them about twice, realising they are stuck back in the 1970's

If the FAI oppose this, they have plenty of cards they could play. Enough that I don't see it happening without their consent.
    Agreed, but you can have a great hand but still lose your shirt. Its all how you play your hand as well.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    103 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dcfcsteve View Post
    The Platinum One proposals are the best thing that has happened to the League of Ireland since the introduction of Promotion and Relegation in 1985.

Sorry, have I missed something here but what exactly are Platinum One's proposals? All I have read since it was first mentioned has been kite flying. No firm proposals. How you can say they are "the best thing that has happened since....." is somewhat questionable.
    Last edited by Mr_Parker; 12/02/2008 at 7:30 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    103 Posts
    Havn't they taken on costs in pursuing their proposals to-date (e.g. Jim Roddy's salary) ?
    And that should excite us?

also was that article an attempt to end the interest of platinum one
    I
    I also have no doubt it would take a lot more than a rather one-sided newspaper article by one of the 'rabbits in headlights' at the FAI to act as a death-knell to their interest.
    Is this not the same paper which has been "breaking" the AIL stories and that was championing the cause over the last few months?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Parker View Post

Sorry, have I missed something here but what exactly are Platinum One's proposals? All I have read since it was first mentioned has been kite flying. No firm proposals. How you can say they are "the best thing that has happened since....." is somewhat questionable.
    Read what I wrote Mr Parker - not what you want to see....

I wrote that it was the best thing TO HAPPEN to Irish football. It's got nothing to do with the content of Platinum's proposal. It's mere presence has the impact I mentioned - because for the first time the 2 football authorities on this island - both of whom have for years faced immense fan criticism over inertia - have been given a huge boot up the whole and now have competition. As a result, the FAI at least have a new-found interest in doemstic football and are working their balls off for the EL. That wouldn't be happening without the Patinum proposal. That's why it's so important.

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,523 Posts
    As a result, the FAI at least have a new-found interest in doemstic football and are working their balls off for the EL. That wouldn't be happening without the Patinum proposal. That's why it's so important.
    In fairness, the FAI had started to improve markedly before this was ever heard of. What's more, despite their record, I would trust the FAI more than Platinum one or anyone of that nature. There's some chance that the FAI will look after the common good in football, with any new body it'll be about the money and nothing else.
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    And that should excite us?
    You seem to have a peculiarly awkward capacity to not understand the context in which things are written/said

The question was asked 'are Platinum even being serious about their proposals'. I responded that the fact that they're incurring cost in pursuing them suggests that they are. Whether or not that excites you is between you and the box of Kleenex...

Is this not the same paper which has been "breaking" the AIL stories and that was championing the cause over the last few months?
    I don't know tbh - and it's irrelevant anyway. It was Fran Gavin's own personal view on things. As he's involved with running the league at the FAI he has a lot to lose from the Platinum proposals (perhaps the most of any one individual). Hence he will understandably have a very biased view of it all (though he would be smarter to clip his bias from beign so obvious).

As for your suggestion that the Independent has some sort of agenda re the league, and therefore couldn't possible publish anything opposed to it. The Independent doesn't give a fig about Irish football - full stop. Stop seeing ghosts and shadows where there are none.

I'm not sure why you're choosing to be so nit-picky about all of this in such a peculiar and weird way. If your opposed to the Platinum/AIL idea - fine. But that shouldn't lead you to make wacky posts.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast