Page 5 of 23 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Trapattoni appointed Ireland coach - Confirmed

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by keenanboy View Post
    I hope to God that if we do qualify for SA 2010 that there's no sad-ass homecoming (unless we win it). Nothing more cringeworthy than seeing joe Duffy talking to an embarrassed Damien Duff about the DDD's (Damien Duff Dizziness).
    Oh dear.
    It was actually Damien Duff Disease...what a feckin pillock!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    175 Posts
    I've always said, just give the FAI a reasonable amount of time, time to make mistakes and learn from them, and then judge them.
    Yes, it took 80 years, but they've finally appointed a manager who has actually won a major title of some kind. Sure aren't they great, they've really earned their wage...

Something tells me the credit should be going to Liam Brady.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFingallian View Post
    Giles likes what he hears.

http://www.chatsoccer.eu/news/
    Love the "startled bunny" photo they used of Giles for that article. Charming!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Talking language...

Quote Originally Posted by NeilMcD View Post
    I was speaking in relation to Gentille.
    make them learn Irish......

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

ah here....

Quote Originally Posted by ruben_sosa View Post
    the process was a farce though, because it deviated so far from the stated objective which was to headhunt the best candidates out there. The fact is they never came up with a concise list of candidates in europe, they had Jewell and Coppell at the top of their interview schedule, and they took their sweet time getting around to Hodgson. A proper headhunter would have drawn up their list of managers by number of titles/achievements in descending order and worked their way down and this would have sounded out Trap months ago. When the FAI appointed the under 21 manager and Don Howe it opened the committee up to accusations of vested interests and bias. Headhunting is the last thing that the committee did, they seemed to be more reactive than pro-active when it came to interviewing people. Also, they could have been more transparent without stonewalling the public. All the media and bookie speculation about Deschamps, Houllier etc could have been settled by saying they were interviewed but didn't want the job, but we still don't know who was and wasn't interviewed. My own belief is that it was Trap's agent that made the contact, because this farce has gone on so long it had become known all across europe, eventually to Austria. This is a victory snatched from the jaws of defeat, and we'll never know how close we came to El O'Tel.

If they get Trappatoni, it has to go down as a success. So what if the three man panel was a farce, they gotta get some credit if Trap is the man. I am no fan of the FAI after that t wat Staunton got the job last time, but this would be a great appointment, and worth the wait

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Den Perry View Post
    If they get Trappatoni, it has to go down as a success. So what if the three man panel was a farce, they gotta get some credit if Trap is the man. I am no fan of the FAI after that t wat Staunton got the job last time, but this would be a great appointment, and worth the wait
    Hail delaney! Lead us to success Delaney!

It looks like we are about to become the most boring team in Europe. 0-0 every game but thats how most coaches have success at International level eg Sanchez, Charlton etc.

Great appointment but we will still probably finish 3rd in the table. We just don't have the playes Im afraid and thinking that this 1 manager is going to change everything is living in a bubble.
    The deepest layer of human thinking and feeling somehow knows that God must exist - Pope Benedict XVI

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    34 Posts
    Now that Trap is almost amongst us I am getting excited about what will be a new dawn for internationl football in this country.....

For some reason it got me thinking about this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKtxD...eature=related

Surely we can make up a of some sort of chant based on it!!

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts
    Maybe it's too far forward into the future, but would any of Trap's Italian staff be manager material in their own right; in that once Trap left there would be a natural successor to take over?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by finnpark View Post
    Great appointment but we will still probably finish 3rd in the table. We just don't have the playes Im afraid and thinking that this 1 manager is going to change everything is living in a bubble.
    We're relying completely on Dunne in defence but our attack is certainly top 10 in Europe.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    175 Posts
    Maybe it's too far forward into the future, but would any of Trap's Italian staff be manager material in their own right; in that once Trap left there would be a natural successor to take over?
    Gentile won the European U-21 championship with Italy, speaks English...

Who knows...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by brine3 View Post
    Gentile won the European U-21 championship with Italy, speaks English...

Who knows...
    Claudio Gentile is what makes this really juicy. Trapattoni is a fine appointment on his own but Gentile really makes it the World Class team we were promised 3 years ago. Anyway he definitely would be in a position to continue on if/when Giovanni goes through the trap door.
    Here they come! It’s the charge of the “Thanks” Brigade!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,304 Posts
    What are the chances Brady is being set up to continue as Trap's successor? He clearly doesn't have the credentials right now - he's admitted as much himself. But, in 2+ years, after working with Trapattoni and his assistant, working with the Irish players, who knows?
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts
    I predict unprecedented interest in the Austrian League being experienced outside of Austria in the next few months...
    That question was less stupid, though you asked it in a profoundly stupid way.

Help me, Arthur Murphy, you're my only hope!

Quote Originally Posted by Dodge
    I bow to no one. bar Bluebeard and Mr A

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    I said that from the minute that Trappatoni's name was linked with the job I felt the contact was insitigated by Brady as he wanted to be involved with Ireland but he felt he did not have the experience for the job. This is the perfect situation for him and for Irish football
    In Trap we trust

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by onenilgameover View Post
    has everyone seen this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bqp64q7kHmw

i would kill to be in the same room when Stephen Ireland gets a whole pile of half learned english abuse...

im getting excited now..i kinda wish i didnt imigrate..oh well..
    Did he learn his German - and his TV manner - from this bloke?

I'm liking him more by the minute.
    This is the cooooooooooooolest footy forum I've ever seen!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,626 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by finnpark View Post
    agree with your remarks about our players. Very average squad with a c*ntish attitude in general but i think that Trappatoni is one of the few mangers who can get the very most out of them - so heres hoping!! On that side of things, well done FAI. (wow...)

Also, to Barney, the mouth of the FAI - the FAI is still a disaster of an organisation who got lucky. Furthermore, the job merely starts here if they are serious about transforming irish football at ALL levels. Their remit is more than finding a manager for the national team and lets not forget that.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I wonder if having the chance to play italy in the 2010 qualifiers had anything to do with him taking the job?

Will make those games very interesting.

Maybe its an elaborate italian sabotage ploy.........

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    He has Sammarinese heritage, you know...

It's an elaborate plan, ever since they were robbed back in Feb -07, The San Marino F.A. have been constructing this tissue of 'co-incidences' (you didnt really think the FAI could get him normally, did you?) leading to a son of their land taking the Job....

Later this year, mark my words, A Hastily arranged friendly will be announced.

Most newsworthy will be the International recalls for Eddie McGoldrick, Paul Butler & Alan Kernaghan who slot neatly into Trapattoni's "Experimental" defence marshalled by John o Shea...

90 minutes :Ireland 0 San Marino 5.

Revenge for Serravalle.

Walking towards the tunnel, Don Trappa produces a large makeshift banner & waves it in front of the Sky cameras. It features a crude characture of John Delaney with the words "Uppa Yours, Haircut Boy!" emblazened upon, and he promptly legs it with suitcases full of cash to the Airport.

John Delaney later reports the incident as "Oh, undeniably, a temporary setback, but not unexpected", and assures the nation that he has every confidence in the new manager all the way from Italy , Guglielmo "Billy" Daviesini.
    On the way into the stadium, an elderly San Marino Steward waved us in and said "Tonight, may the best team win"

And they nearly did.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluebeard View Post
    I predict unprecedented interest in the Austrian League being experienced outside of Austria in the next few months...
    I'm your man in Austria .. I'll keep yall updated ;-)

Salzburg fans have been calling for his head for most of the season . despite the massive resources, they have struggled. He's been credited with winning the league last season, but in fact he was general manager with Matthaus in charge of picking the team. He's seen as too defensive .. which is understandable with the resources they have they should be winning be a few goals every week.

It might work out for us though .. if we can hold on to leads and stop giving away last minute goals .. then we might even qualify

Personally, I can see parallels between this appointment and Bob Paisley in 1986.. Charlton's CV could not compare with Paisley, but he was the right appointment. Can't help but think that perhaps we should have moved heaven and earth to get Coppell or one of the other younger hungrier managers out there.

But as a few other posters have pointed out, Gentiles and the backroom team, Brady married with Trapps personality and experience are something to get excited about

PS. Should add that papers over here are reporting that Salzburg are glad to be rid of the old dinosaur and are looking for a younger hungrier manager.
    Last edited by macdermesser; 12/02/2008 at 9:15 AM.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    this is great news for irish football

Page 5 of 23 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast