Thread: Trapattoni appointed Ireland coach - Confirmed

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    has everyone seen this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bqp64q7kHmw

i would kill to be in the same room when Stephen Ireland gets a whole pile of half learned english abuse...

im getting excited now..i kinda wish i didnt imigrate..oh well..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    175 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cymro
    His Italy side during the Euro 2004 qualifiers was one of the worst Italian teams I've ever seen. I wouldn't be leaping for joy at this appointment.
    He was 2 minutes away from the WC 1/4-finals, and 1 goal away from the EC 1/4-finals in 2004. With that record, we would give bosses like that a homecoming and an Irish passport. Oh sorry, we already have.

There were many available candidates out there, but (it seems as though) we have chosen the right candidate, which is what the committee was set up to do. How many bosses would queue up for the Welsh gig, right now??

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ruben_sosa View Post
    the process was a farce though, because it deviated so far from the stated objective which was to headhunt the best candidates out there. The fact is they never came up with a concise list of candidates in europe, they had Jewell and Coppell at the top of their interview schedule, and they took their sweet time getting around to Hodgson. A proper headhunter would have drawn up their list of managers by number of titles/achievements in descending order and worked their way down and this would have sounded out Trap months ago. When the FAI appointed the under 21 manager and Don Howe it opened the committee up to accusations of vested interests and bias. Headhunting is the last thing that the committee did, they seemed to be more reactive than pro-active when it came to interviewing people. Also, they could have been more transparent without stonewalling the public. All the media and bookie speculation about Deschamps, Houllier etc could have been settled by saying they were interviewed but didn't want the job, but we still don't know who was and wasn't interviewed. My own belief is that it was Trap's agent that made the contact, because this farce has gone on so long it had become known all across europe, eventually to Austria. This is a victory snatched from the jaws of defeat, and we'll never know how close we came to El O'Tel.
    A lot of speculation in there. According to the Tribune yesterday, the panel sounded out Lippi and Hiddink. While those sort of candidates would be top notch, we also have to be realistic hence the list of less desirable candidates and interviewees.

We have no right to know who was and wasn't interviewed. The panel did right in telling us, and the media, nothing.

Had the panel listened to the media, and some experts, Ireland would have knee jerked into appointing Jewell, Hodgson or Coppell, who so many people waxed lyrical about. Which three managers currently reside in the Premiership relegation zone??

If the process was seen as such a farce across Europe, Trappatoni wouldn't have touched it with a ten foot pole. The FAI took their time and look to have pulled of a massive coup. Fair play to them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Trap has finished in the top 2 in the league 17 times, winning 10. Top 2 in domestic cups 7 times, winning 3. Twice has been in the European cup final, winning 1. 3 UEFA cup wins. 1 Cup Winners Cup win. 1 Super Cup and 1 World Club Championship.

32 medals in his 33 years of management.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by barney View Post
    If the process was seen as such a farce across Europe, Trappatoni wouldn't have touched it with a ten foot pole. The FAI took their time and look to have pulled of a massive coup. Fair play to them.
    what logical well planned process brings a committee from Billy Davies to Trapattoni? they were going in another direction closer to home until someone outside the committee pointed them in the direction of Traps. I'd say they were close to appointing Venables after Houllier dropped out, but Traps really was an eleventh hour entry into the race which was already in the process of winding down. Like i said... i can see nothing logical or planned about the sequence of events we've witnessed.
    I do think the FAI deserve credit for being in a financial position to offer a much better salary than previously available, and also they should take credit for trying a new approach to the appointment process, though i don't think associations around europe will be queuing up to replicate it.
    Last edited by ruben_sosa; 11/02/2008 at 7:18 PM.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Just in general...it's the Irish way, some people are complaining about the process and that it's a farce, but the outcome is that we'll get Trap. End result is better than most would have thought.

I don't think we the public have a right to know who or who wasn't interviewed though - if the FAI came out after each interview and announced who they just interviewed - could you imagine the media!!

p.s. this is based on the assumption Trap signs the contract !!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts
    Yeah if anyone actually thinks Trap's appointment will have anything to do with the appointment of the three man Venables, sorry, selection committee, think again. Just remember that after the media had already broke the story of Trap's interest, Givens laughed it off saying they'd never heard anything about him, and that they doubted the FAI would talk to him behind his back. Thank fukk they did.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ruben_sosa View Post
    what logical well planned process brings a committee from Billy Davies to Trapattoni? they were going in another direction closer to home until someone outside the committee pointed them in the direction of Traps. I'd say they were close to appointing Venables after Houllier dropped out, but Traps really was an eleventh hour entry into the race which was already in the process of winding down. Like i said... i can see nothing logical or planned about the sequence of events we've witnessed.
    I do think the FAI deserve credit for being in a financial position to offer a much better salary than previously available, and also they should take credit for trying a new approach to the appointment process, though i don't think associations around europe will be queuing up to replicate it.
    The same logical well-planned process that chooses Trappatoni (presuming it's him) over the other candidates.

Again, you're speculating. "I'd say what happened is..". What happened is that the panel were put together to find the best man for the job. They look like producing Trappatoni. That's an awful lot better than anyone could have hoped for. Hats off to them, they've done what it said on the tin.

I'd bet there will be people, both here and in the media, hoping that the manager fails just so they can have a go at the FAI. This is Ireland after all.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Homecoming

Quote Originally Posted by mypost View Post
    He was 2 minutes away from the WC 1/4-finals, and 1 goal away from the EC 1/4-finals in 2004. With that record, we would give bosses like that a homecoming and an Irish passport. Oh sorry, we already have.
    I hope to God that if we do qualify for SA 2010 that there's no sad-ass homecoming (unless we win it). Nothing more cringeworthy than seeing joe Duffy talking to an embarrassed Damien Duff about the DDD's (Damien Duff Dizziness).
    Oh dear.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by barney View Post
    If it is Trappatoni, will the FAI-bashers on here accept that maybe, just maybe, they have gotten this right? Will they accept that if you f**k up, as they did with Stan, you should be allowed to learn from your mistakes? That success doesn't happen overnight. That the only 'farce' of the last three-four months has been the hysterical media coverage?

Or will we go down the route taken by those who push their own petty agendas (step forward Brian Kerr, Pat Dolan etc) and claim that the FAI have pulled off a real coup in spite of themselves? Suppose delusion is better than humble pie.
    I hate this. I don't think anybody who cares about Irish football gives a s*** about who is responsible for appointing a truly world class manager.

I think all they care about is that we actually do appoint a world class manager

And i'm still very weary about whether Trappatoni will be hired

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    the director of football sounds like one for Givens.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Does Givens have more badges than Brady. I saw him with a Madness one the other day. The unmistakable hat.
    In Trap we trust

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by eirebhoy View Post
    Trap has finished in the top 2 in the league 17 times, winning 10. Top 2 in domestic cups 7 times, winning 3. Twice has been in the European cup final, winning 1. 3 UEFA cup wins. 1 Cup Winners Cup win. 1 Super Cup and 1 World Club Championship.

32 medals in his 33 years of management.
    That's a fantastic record

Really think we can look forward to the future with this guy in new era.

If he just wins one medal for Ireland I be happy enough

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by onenilgameover View Post
    has everyone seen this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bqp64q7kHmw

i would kill to be in the same room when Stephen Ireland gets a whole pile of half learned english abuse...

im getting excited now..i kinda wish i didnt imigrate..oh well..
    That'd lift the wig clean off his head!!

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    Well, it looks like it'll be Trapattoni.

My only word on this, is that I expect a second place finish, at very minimum from our group.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    It seems I've come in for a bit of stick for my earlier comments. To be honest, they were based on what I saw of Italy in the Euros and the qualifiers. They were very negative, we outplayed them at home and didn't deserve the 4-0 scoreline away.

That said anecdotal evidence probably isn't the best thing to go by. I've had a look at Trapattoni's record and it does look impressive.......so good acquistion, I guess.
    "Life is like a hair on a toilet seat. Sooner or later you are bound to get pi$$ed off."

"In this league, a draw is sometimes as good as a win" - Steve Morison

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    This is amazing, I dont care how long it has taken but if the name is read out on Wednesday it is a massive coup for the three blind mice. Would love to know Traps main driver for taking the job, is it the talent? does he like Guinness and fishing or does he feel he has unfinished business when it comes to a national team. Interesting very interesting

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Giles likes what he hears.

http://www.chatsoccer.eu/news/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    http://87.106.1.66/rbsb/Team.php?id=74&lang=

This is our new fitness coach
    Last edited by NeilMcD; 11/02/2008 at 9:40 PM.
    In Trap we trust

Page 4 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast