Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Trapattoni appointed Ireland coach - Confirmed

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilMcD View Post
    Does anyone know if he can speak English.
    He can't....thats why Brady is going to be his assistant (as he can speak Italian)...

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Well he has a few months to learn it, and if Brady has a place in the set up then he'll be able to help translate until his language improves. If Trapattoni and Gentile are both committed then they should be able to get their english to a decent level in a few months.
    My concerns are global. I reject absolutely revenge, aggression, and retaliation. The foundation of such a method, is love. I love you Sheriff Truman.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue-Army View Post
    He can't....thats why Brady is going to be his assistant (as he can speak Italian)...
    I was speaking in relation to Gentille.
    In Trap we trust

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    I was speaking in relation to Gentille.
    Gentile is fluent in English, no issues there.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts
    If it is Trappatoni, will the FAI-bashers on here accept that maybe, just maybe, they have gotten this right? Will they accept that if you f**k up, as they did with Stan, you should be allowed to learn from your mistakes? That success doesn't happen overnight. That the only 'farce' of the last three-four months has been the hysterical media coverage?

Or will we go down the route taken by those who push their own petty agendas (step forward Brian Kerr, Pat Dolan etc) and claim that the FAI have pulled off a real coup in spite of themselves? Suppose delusion is better than humble pie.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by barney View Post
    If it is Trappatoni, will the FAI-bashers on here accept that maybe, just maybe, they have gotten this right? Will they accept that if you f**k up, as they did with Stan, you should be allowed to learn from your mistakes? That success doesn't happen overnight. That the only 'farce' of the last three-four months has been the hysterical media coverage?

Or will we go down the route taken by those who push their own petty agendas (step forward Brian Kerr, Pat Dolan etc) and claim that the FAI have pulled off a real coup in spite of themselves? Suppose delusion is better than humble pie.
    Yes, If Trappatoni is appointed, a tremendous job by the FAI and the selection panel.

Drinks on me at Don Givens' house Friday night...details to follow.

And to be fair, the press can claim some credit for this, because the FAI were afraid to put a foot wrong! another assistant coach from Walsall was never going to hack it..........................

On the other hand, if Venables gets the job, all the above is a pile of horse sh!te !!!! How easily the pendulum doth swing !

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    I have just heard the news, sounds great.
    It's not quite a dream team just yet.
    A dream team would have Gentile running the u21's as well.

Good scoop for the Examiner, no ifs or reliable sources say, just an affirmative statement that the appointment is fact.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Delaney pretty much confirming that Trap has the job:

"I was thrilled last night. I got a phone call from Don Givens and I spoke to him this morning and he asked that I call a board meeting for Wednesday at 4.30pm. There is a preferred candidate to be the next Irish manager, that will be brought to the board and we will hold a press conference after the board meeting to tell the public who the next Irish manager is going to be.

"The panel have had a couple of interviews over the last couple of days. We're not going to comment who was where and when, but what I am excited about is that we do have the preferred candidate and the Irish public will know the next Irish manager on Wednesday night.

"I can't comment on who the manager is going to be and I think you understand that it's got to go to the board first. We've had a huge amount of interest in the job, I think that's fair to say, there's been an unprecedented amount of interest in who wants to manage Ireland this time.

"I put that down to two facts: 1) the number of young players that have come through over the last couple of years, there's a real knowledge internationally of the players that we have and 2) the financial package. The fact that we are prepared to pay more than we have ever paid to get a top class manager in. Those two factors have created a buzz around the appointment of the next Irish manager and from a personal point of view I'm just thrilled that we'll have somebody to announce to the Irish public."

When asked if he was brushing up on his Italian, the Waterford man said he'd be "brushing up on a lot of things, but that the Irish public would be excited about the appointment come Wednesday night."

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2008/0211/fai.html
    Last edited by eirebhoy; 11/02/2008 at 5:29 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    I suppose the whole selection panel and the length of time taken to appoint a manager will all be forgotten IF we get trapatoni.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    161 Posts
    Looks certain now. I would aslo like to see Gentile running the u/21's. I will be very surprised if Trap isn't pulling the strings of all the under age teams.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    The FAI have taken alot of abuse over the years and correctly so but if they pull this off, hats off to them. They certainly surprised me. Havent been this genuinely exited about the appointment of an irish manager ever.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    I heard T'oD said that Brady would not be involved and that Brady basically started the whole Trappatoni thing and provided the link to it which is what I thought all along. I hope Brady is involved.
    In Trap we trust

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Just to make a point about his time in charge of Italy. Italy had 5 goals disallowed in 3 games at the 2002 world cup. Replays showed all of them to be the wrong calls. Not to mention Totti sent off wrongly.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    I heard T'oD said that Brady would not be involved and that Brady basically started the whole Trappatoni thing and provided the link to it which is what I thought all along. I hope Brady is involved.
    Liam Mackey is on Today FM stating he will be involved but on a match by match basis and will be staying in his Arsenal role. Good enough for me....

Big Cas was also on saying he bumped into Venables and asked him about the Ireland job and though he didn't say yes or no his reaction indicated that he hadn't got it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Gabrielle Marcotti on RTE:

He was surprised to hear the panel were in Austria last night because his sources told him a couple of hours ago that he hasn't spoken to the FAI yet.

Trap has said he is apparently 95% sure he'll accept the offer.

Brady has secured permission from Wenger to take up a role with Ireland.

Trap is a 35 year old in the body of a 60 year old.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,689 Posts
    But with the birth cert of a 68 year old!

My Italian mate reckons it'll be "fun".

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Time to arrange a friendly with England

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Scram View Post
    Yes, If Trappatoni is appointed, a tremendous job by the FAI and the selection panel.

Drinks on me at Don Givens' house Friday night...details to follow.

And to be fair, the press can claim some credit for this, because the FAI were afraid to put a foot wrong! another assistant coach from Walsall was never going to hack it..........................

On the other hand, if Venables gets the job, all the above is a pile of horse sh!te !!!! How easily the pendulum doth swing !
    LOL

I don't think TV would be that bad of an appointment tbh. But Trappatoni looks far superior to anything we could have hoped for a few months ago. Only thing that slightly worries me is that there is a possibility, however slight, of him being our Bertie Vogts. Then again Trappatoni's club record is phenomenal where as Vogts, to the best of my knowledge, had nothing beyond Euro 96 to point to.

I reckon the media have been beyond vicious in all this. By all means have a go at Delaney and the FAI for the Stan appointment, and ensure that they don't venture down a similar road this time, but to keep calling the process a 'farce' just because it was taking a few months was ridiculous. We don't start the WC qualifiers until September so there was nothing to be gained by a quick appointment. Fair play to Delaney, Givens, Howe and Houghton for not giving much away throughout and leaving the press to make up their own crap.

I've always said, just give the FAI a reasonable amount of time, time to make mistakes and learn from them, and then judge them. Success doesn't happen straight away and, to my mind, they are doing a sterling job in most aspects of the game in this country.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    This is the question that should have been asked at Stan's appointment.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    the process was a farce though, because it deviated so far from the stated objective which was to headhunt the best candidates out there. The fact is they never came up with a concise list of candidates in europe, they had Jewell and Coppell at the top of their interview schedule, and they took their sweet time getting around to Hodgson. A proper headhunter would have drawn up their list of managers by number of titles/achievements in descending order and worked their way down and this would have sounded out Trap months ago. When the FAI appointed the under 21 manager and Don Howe it opened the committee up to accusations of vested interests and bias. Headhunting is the last thing that the committee did, they seemed to be more reactive than pro-active when it came to interviewing people. Also, they could have been more transparent without stonewalling the public. All the media and bookie speculation about Deschamps, Houllier etc could have been settled by saying they were interviewed but didn't want the job, but we still don't know who was and wasn't interviewed. My own belief is that it was Trap's agent that made the contact, because this farce has gone on so long it had become known all across europe, eventually to Austria. This is a victory snatched from the jaws of defeat, and we'll never know how close we came to El O'Tel.

Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast