Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Republic of Ireland V Brazil - Wednesday, 6th February 2008 - Friendly

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,713 Posts
    Was anyone at the Romania game in Genoa? 60 mins or so before KO Brady's mug game up on the big screens at the corners of the ground, with headphones and a mike as he was working for Italian TV. The Irish started singing "Liamo" or "One Liam Brady" and he couldn't stop smirking. Special moment.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I'll say it again for the millionth time. We need a big guy up front. Every set piece, cross and long ball we had no chance. How many crosses went in yesterday and how many did we actually win?

Keane and Doyle has never looked like it would work, especially with a crap central midfield.
    I think I should the parachute, because I'm great.

In fact, I think I should get both parachutes, in case one doesn't work.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    Was anyone at the Romania game in Genoa? 60 mins or so before KO Brady's mug game up on the big screens at the corners of the ground, with headphones and a mike as he was working for Italian TV. The Irish started singing "Liamo" or "One Liam Brady" and he couldn't stop smirking. Special moment.
    was it not the BBC?! "Go on Dave, knock it in"

EDIT: yes it was : http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/s...=394220&page=2
    Last edited by paul_oshea; 07/02/2008 at 2:44 PM. Reason: it was the bbc
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts
    Was at the game. I thought we were poor. Atmosphere was shocking as well. Has anyone ever noticed the amount of movement there is with people. I never saw that at Lansdowne. I know it was a significantly lower capacity but it seems quite bizarre. Almost boredom . I think Croke Park is our bandwagon home, a lot of supporters may not get tickets in the New Lansdowne (that could be good or bad), but the atmosphere should improve. Although I've noticed a downward change in atmosphere since the 4-0 Holland game, Slovakia being the exception to that.
    'And Crouch must score'

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Before everyone goes blaming the stadium for the bad atmosphere, people must also remember that the team is sh*te and it hard to get excited about a sh*te team.

When or If we ever improve and play well then I'm sure the supporters will change their tune.
    I think I should the parachute, because I'm great.

In fact, I think I should get both parachutes, in case one doesn't work.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    Would anyone have the line-ups of both teams last night with squad numbers? Cheers, it's for my young lad- wants to fill in his programme at this stage!
    All you zombies tweet tweet tweet.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Seagull View Post
    Would anyone have the line-ups of both teams last night with squad numbers? Cheers, it's for my young lad- wants to fill in his programme at this stage!
    http://soccernet.espn.go.com/report?id=235247&cc=5901

ESPN has the players with their squad numbers but doesn't have a diagram of their exact position on the pitch.
    "No regrets, none at all. My only regret is that we went out on penalties. That's my only regret. But no, no regrets." -Mick McCarthy

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    It seems impossible to create any kind of atmosphere at Croke park unless the game is really important and we're winning (Slovakia last year was electric).I stood on the North Terrace when we played Brazil the last time and there was constant noise; sure there was no jacks and you couldn't wander off to buy hot dogs or popcorn but it was still so much better than last night. It doesn't help that everyones miles from the pitch and the Irish songs they usually play before the game got relaced by Take That and Euromillions and Eircom ads played at earsplitting volume. It would also be nice if the country we love wasn't referred to as "the Republic of Ireland sponsored by Eircom" at every opportunity. Sell the name of the new stadium if you like but not the name of the f***ing country!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Torn-Ado View Post
    Before everyone goes blaming the stadium for the bad atmosphere, people must also remember that the team is sh*te and it hard to get excited about a sh*te team.

When or If we ever improve and play well then I'm sure the supporters will change their tune.
    what your just after saying is what i think is the major problem with our fans. Its not over-expectation or that the team is sh!te. we're all great fans, best in the world and all that sh!te when we're winning but when its not going well the atmosphere at games is crap. our squad has alot of talent - all fit and on form - one of the top ten in europe, easily! the problem is the lack of decent manager and and the incompetant freeloaders at the FAI. Our supporters should be focusing their frustration and anger at the FAI which is a farce, instead of complaining that our team is sh!te. SA 2010 should be our teams peak, but our best chance of doing well in a competition for what could be a long time to come is being seriously hampered by those who claim to have Irish footballs best interest at heart. Its not the Irish team thats sh!te, just everything else!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    732 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lilywhite stu View Post
    It seems impossible to create any kind of atmosphere at Croke park unless the game is really important and we're winning (Slovakia last year was electric).I stood on the North Terrace when we played Brazil the last time and there was constant noise; sure there was no jacks and you couldn't wander off to buy hot dogs or popcorn but it was still so much better than last night. It doesn't help that everyones miles from the pitch and the Irish songs they usually play before the game got relaced by Take That and Euromillions and Eircom ads played at earsplitting volume. It would also be nice if the country we love wasn't referred to as "the Republic of Ireland sponsored by Eircom" at every opportunity. Sell the name of the new stadium if you like but not the name of the f***ing country!
    Those ads are getting more and more annoying. They're actually distracting during the game. At least American football has the decency to stop the game first.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts
    I see this has turned into a bit of a 'McGeady no end product' thread.
    Sure you could say that about anyone. Keane had a good game but didn't score - no end product. Doyle was brutal and had no end product. The midfielders created nothing - no end product. Given let in a goal - no end product. McGeady beats a man to the byline and puts in a poor ball. A nation collectively sighs - ''ahhh, ol McGeady - no end product". Forget about everything else he does. Skill, touch, throughballs, little slipped passes, driving runs......

honestly its like reading a Celtic forum from a couple of years ago.

As EB says, the analysis on him is written before a ball is kicked.
    The dude abides....

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    785 Posts
    Shock horror. Headline news:

ATMOSPHERE AT FRIENDLY CR*P

In all my years of following Ireland, with the exception of friendlies against England, the atmosphere at friendlies has been dead. It is the nature of the beast. There is nothing at stake. Nothing to get the adrenalin flowing.

Put some meaningful points to contest for and it's a different ballgame. Such is life and I am amazed that anyone is surprised . It has always been like that. And we also didn't boo our team unlike the English fans when they started playing it around at the back
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,916 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bottle of Tonic View Post
    I see this has turned into a bit of a 'McGeady no end product' thread. ....
    Sure you could say that about anyone. honestly its like reading a Celtic forum from a couple of years ago.....
    As EB says, the analysis on him is written before a ball is kicked.

Has paranoia taken you over. There is no pleasing some people until the whole world agrees with them.
    Have you read the thread or just focussed on the 2 or 3 posters who were negative about McGeady?
    The vast majority of posters on this thread thought that McGeady had from a good game to MOM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    'And we also didn't boo our team unlike the English fans when they started playing it around at the back '

To be honest i was cringing, waiting for the boos at the final whistle. i was surprised and relieved when they didnt come.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    As some have said the atmosphere was crap, but every friendly I've been at has been terrible, this was no different to the Brazil game 4 years ago. Yet again it took less than 20 minutes for the mexican wave to get going, really ****es me off and it always starts where I sit (Cusack/Canal corner).

On a more serious note, I think the stewarding needs to be improved drastically. The amount of bottles flying around the place was unreal, and it's getting worse with every game. But the stewards are busy watching the game. There was a row of young lads in front of me throwing stuff (toffees, brocken sticks from flag poles, t-shirts ) the whole first half and 3 of us told them to stop at different times and we eventually had to call a steward over to get them to stop.
    Then a fight broke out down in front, with 2 young scumbags punching the heads off each other - they were dragged out by the guards.
    at the end of the match in the concourse behind section 311 (I think) there was a lad shouting for anyone to fight him. Someone eventually stood up to him and your man's scumbag friend comes in from the side and head-butts the lad who had done nothing. They all leg it down the steps and off home. Scumbags People are talking on another thread about a scumbag element in the away support, but it's in the home suport too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Its the kids that start it.
    In Trap we trust

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilMcD View Post
    Its the kids that start it.
    I know, young lad behind me every two minutes "let's do the mexican wave". and then of course they boo and shout "who arreeee ya" when it doesn't take off

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by danonion View Post
    http://soccernet.espn.go.com/report?id=235247&cc=5901

ESPN has the players with their squad numbers but doesn't have a diagram of their exact position on the pitch.
    Ta for that.
    All you zombies tweet tweet tweet.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I wish people would just understand the atmosphere was crap because it was a friendly its the same as any other country, England,Wales,Scotland,France,Spain etc all these countries have ****e atmospheres.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts
    In any of the other stands were the aisles full with people sitting in them? I was in the Davin and the whole place was choked up because of lads sitting in the aisles all the way up. Not sure whether there was a problem with tickets or they just had seats away from their mates and wanted to sit beside them. Bloody nuisance though.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast