Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Munich 1958

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Munich 1958

Doubt there is but anyone old enough to remember anything about it?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    74 Posts
    I thought the Harry Gregg documentary last night was very good,must have been so hard for him meeting people who were there on the day
    Havin a weekend away is quite frankly,lettin ur team mates down!

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Harry Gregg is a hero. If it wasn't for him Bobby Charlton and numerous other players would have died. He is a true Man Utd legend.
    I can't understand why he hasn't been made Sir Harry Gregg.
    It was a black day for football and I don't know how i'd react if that happened to the current Man Utd team as i'd feel a piece of my life had gone missing.
    Those footballers were on the verge of greatness. They were on the verge of becoming European Champions. Some of the fallen players like Duncan Edwards would've gone on to be world beaters.
    If the crash hadn't have happened I have no doubt that Man Utd would have more European Cups than what they have now, they would probably have four or five by now maybe 6. England would have won more than one World Cup and we could well be saying that the greatest player the world ever seen was one Duncan Edwards who if i'm to believe what i'm lead to believe was untouchable even though he was only 21.
    When he died he had already amassed a total of 151 Appearences for Man Utd scoring 20 goals and not only that in a time when international matches were rarely played Edwards achieved 18 Caps forr England scoring 5 goals. Its not often someone becomes a regular in a Man Utd side from Age 16.

What could have been??????
    Last edited by rambler14; 05/02/2008 at 3:59 PM.
    LESS OF THE BULL NOW!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts
    I stayed in a hotel in Portsteward owned by Harry Gregg.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Watching the documentaries on MUTV the last few days makes you realise how big this was when it happened, it was such a tragedy....united would have gone on to win many trophies in the few years after had that not happened, edwards looked like a magician.
    sandy busby was on mutv last night aswell, some great stories!!

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    One of the papers had a great picture today of the 1966 England side carrying Duncan Edwards on their shoulders as the victorious England captain.
    It was either in THE STAR or THE MIRROR. Think it was THE MIRROR.
    Last edited by rambler14; 05/02/2008 at 10:13 PM.
    LESS OF THE BULL NOW!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rambler14 View Post
    One of the papers had a great picture today of the 1966 England side carrying Duncan Edwards on their shoulders as the victorious England captain.
    It was either in THE STAR or THE MIRROR. Think it was THE MIRROR.
    I'm sorry but that's sounds like appallingly bad taste. I know he was a very gifted lad and what have you but that's as subtle as a brick through a window.

...did they have Bobby Moore in the crowd wearing a flat-cap and waving a wooden rattle?

Back OT, great credit and respect due to Harry Cregg. Heard him the other day on Dunphy and he's quite a guy. Must be very hard for him right now.
    " I wish to God that someone would be able to block out the voices in my head for five minutes, the voices that scream, over and over again: "Why do they come to me to die?"

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Would be a huge shame if any idiots ruin the minutes silence on sunday, 99% of city fans will stand and respect the minutes silence, it was manchester as a whole that was affected by the crash, but theres always a few idiots who could ruin it! a minutes applause and there'd be no worries, just with the silence it will be dangerous imo.

united also to wear a special kit, 50's style, numbered 1 to 11 no sponsors etc.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Were the Irish teams black-armbands worn tonight for the Munich disaster?
    Because England had none.
    City definetly have the best bands playing at half-time.

O'Bama - "Eerah yeah, I'd say we can alright!"

G.O'Mahoney Trapattoni'll sort ém out!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by feo123 View Post
    Would be a huge shame if any idiots ruin the minutes silence on sunday.
    They will and it was extremely naive of the organisers to hope for otherwise.

99% of city fans will stand and respect the minutes silence, it was manchester as a whole that was affected by the crash.
    Sure there was a former City player killed in the crash. That's the angle Man City have been trying to appeal to their supporters on. It won't work. 99% will stay quiet. But 1% of the away capacity is about 70. More than enough to destroy a minutes silence.
    " I wish to God that someone would be able to block out the voices in my head for five minutes, the voices that scream, over and over again: "Why do they come to me to die?"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    74 Posts
    I have to agree, that picture sound's so wrong and distasteful.

Also, of course there will be a few trying to ruin the minutes silence, but I think a minutes applause would be kind of inappropriate to remember such a tragedy, a minutes silence I feel is still the best way to show respect.
    Havin a weekend away is quite frankly,lettin ur team mates down!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Risteard View Post
    Were the Irish teams black-armbands worn tonight for the Munich disaster?
    Because England had none.
    No, they said during the game it was for someone related to Darren Gibson who died

reder
    Is there not a minutes silence for them at the game tonight? I hope to god it is well respected if there is one and that is coming from a Liverpudlian.

I think the minutes silence at the manc derby is a recipe for disaster. City fans refer to Man U fans as "Munichs" and given the hatred between the 2 clubs, I'd imagine city have absolutely no intention of staying silent.

I think the idea of a minutes silence is an awful one, personally. Applause is the only way to go.

Wouldnt like to be in Manchester City centre after that fixture!
    Last edited by reder; 06/02/2008 at 9:32 AM.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    There were two 30 minute programmes on BBC4 on Monday (and repeated again tonight I think).

I watched the first one and to be honest it was very poor imo for a BBC production. Just Bobby Charlton and Harry Cregg and a couple of women supporters of the day adding very little to the story??

Im sure there were a lot more past and present Man Utd, general footballing world, manchester people, that could have been interviewed or asked to retell how the disaster impacted their lives or the parents lives or whatever.

The second one is purely from Bobby Charltons perspective, might watch it tonight but not impressed with the first one at all.
    I thought you were off the drink Ronnie?

"No, I drink to help me mind my own business....can I get you one? (c) Ronnie Drew

reder
    Quote Originally Posted by Junior View Post
    I watched the first one and to be honest it was very poor imo for a BBC production.

The second one is purely from Bobby Charltons perspective, might watch it tonight but not impressed with the first one at all.
    Its a programme based on a horrible tragedy, not some light entertainment. Lost is back on this week, watch that, it sounds more like what your after!

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by reder View Post
    Its a programme based on a horrible tragedy, not some light entertainment. Lost is back on this week, watch that, it sounds more like what your after!
    Who said anything about light entertainment? Its because it was such a horrible tragedy that I expected a quality, thought out production, that gave me, as a viewer an insight in to the events and feeling at the time. Not something that looked like a GCSE student had put together as part of his course work.

I am sure some of the other progammes might do the event justice, this programme didnt in my opinion. I think your comment is in poor taste.
    I thought you were off the drink Ronnie?

"No, I drink to help me mind my own business....can I get you one? (c) Ronnie Drew

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts
    I am a United fan, and while I think a minute's applause would mask any jeering, I am of the opinion that a minute's silence is more appropriate than a minute's applause.
    Changing to a round of clapping gives in to the boo boys - have the silence, have stewards and cops in the middle of the city fans, and if someone as much as farts, grab him/her and turf 'em out.
    Must also be noted that City will be wearing a special strip on Sunday as well, and fair play to them for the efforts they are making - the away end at Old Trafford is to be festooned in posters of Frank Swift, the former City goalkeeper who was one of those killed in the crash (he was working for News of the World at the time)
    "Billy Corgan, Smashing Pumpkins."
    "Homer Simpson, smiling politely."

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    I would be surprised if it's respected. I was at the Manchester Derby 2 years ago and it was played the day after Noel Cantwell died so there was a minutes silence.
    I was quite near the Man City fans and they gave it about 10 seconds and then suddenly 1 person shouted out "Munich Wa*ker". With that more Man City fans started shouting and eventually broke into one of their offensive Munich chants.
    For the sake of the occasion a minutes applause is needed as the Man City fans won't care. They wouldn't refer to the Munich crash in their chants if they cared about Frank Swift.
    LESS OF THE BULL NOW!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts
    I was at the derby about five years ago that fell either a few days before or after Feb 6, can't exactly remember, was sitting above the c*nts and they spent most of the match with their arms out at their side moving to and fro, but if they want to show their inhumanity and lack of dignity, let them do so when there are millions of people watching
    "Billy Corgan, Smashing Pumpkins."
    "Homer Simpson, smiling politely."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Would be a huge shame if any idiots ruin the minutes silence on sunday, 99% of city fans will stand and respect the minutes silence, it was manchester as a whole that was affected by the crash, but theres always a few idiots who could ruin it! a minutes applause and there'd be no worries, just with the silence it will be dangerous imo.

united also to wear a special kit, 50's style, numbered 1 to 11 no sponsors etc.
    You can guarantee that the City fan's will boo! was at Anfield the Weekend Matt Busby died, the Liverpool fans impeccably observed the silence whilst the city fans chanted horrific abuse about busby and indeed munich, Have hated City fans since

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast