Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: Inter Toto Place

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Lightbulb Inter Toto Place

Hows about the winner of the League Cup has a post season playoff against the 3rd/4th place team in the Premier division to decide who gets the inter toto cup place?

I know its a bit like a GAA/Rugby rip off but what about some sort of playoff post-season for places 3/4 - 7/8 for the Inter Toto Cup place?

What ye think? Would be a handy money spinner?
    http://www.forastrust.ie/

Bring back Rocketman!

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,214 Posts

Re: Inter Toto Place

Originally posted by pete
    What ye think? Would be a handy money spinner?
    Seeing as the InterToto is hardly a money-spinner in itself, I can't see a play-off to get into it being one.

The best thing to do with the League Cup is to make a new tournament out of it - involving Scottish, Welsh and Northern Irish sides maybe - or else just accept that most teams view it as a chance to give the reserves a run-out and accept the fact. Don't think there's much point trying to overly complicate things just to make a competition popular.

Speaking of unpopular competitions, apparently the Leinster Senior Cup is now no more. One more silly fixture out of the way.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Re: Re: Inter Toto Place

Originally posted by pineapple stu
    Seeing as the InterToto is hardly a money-spinner in itself, I can't see a play-off to get into it being one.

The best thing to do with the League Cup is to make a new tournament out of it - involving Scottish, Welsh and Northern Irish sides maybe - or else just accept that most teams view it as a chance to give the reserves a run-out and accept the fact. Don't think there's much point trying to overly complicate things just to make a competition popular.

Speaking of unpopular competitions, apparently the Leinster Senior Cup is now no more. One more silly fixture out of the way.
    The gate receipts were handy in CM, though.

As for the original idea, I don't think it'd be good for the league right now - We need our best sides in Europe and using this system would run the risk of a poor side going on a decent cup run and getting a spot in Europe. I mean, can you imagine Kilkenny representing the country in Europe?!
    Last edited by UCD_4_Life; 18/06/2003 at 6:38 PM.
    And stay out of Bumtown, ya no talent bum.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    yeah, while i can see where you are coming from i think having euro places for the league and one cup competition is enough.

while the intertoto might be considered mickey mouse, have a look at the crowd rovers get at home for a european game, city had quite a good crowd two years ago when ljiepjas metalurgs came to play. so it's a good day at the gate, and if you win a game, tv might even cover it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,214 Posts
    Originally posted by tiktok
    and if you win a game, tv might even cover it.

Good one! Pat's wil be delighted of the extra coverage last year!

Maybe the crowds aren't as bad as they used be - Sligo made a loss the year they were in as far as I know - but I don't think we have enough European spaces to be handing them out to minor cups.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Originally posted by pineapple stu
    [BMaybe the crowds aren't as bad as they used be - Sligo made a loss the year they were in as far as I know[/B]
    i think that it probably would be quite possible to make a loss,

1) the teams that you can be drawn against are usually poor and not going to be much of a draw to home fans.
    2) the media doesn't help it's credibility by reporting on the english teams who will give it a pass because it's not worth the effort.
    3) uefa still haven't regionalised the competition even though it cries out for it (if only to increase interest) so clubs like rovers this year end up dragging squad and staff to poland for three days(not cheap).
    4) and if you win, you head out the very next weekend to some other far flung destination, which could hurt finances.
    5) the standard of play isn't great, it comes for most countries before preseason training even kicks in (hopefully rovers will give cause to celebrate summer soccer on saturday).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,214 Posts
    Agree with that alright. It's a nice change - and I speak from happy experience! - and it gives the club a boost as well, but it badly needs to be regionalised.

Don't see why UEFA don't count it for the European rankings - even give it the same points as European qualifying rounds. Would make it more worthwhile, if nothing else.