Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sporting Fingal in Business Post

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    No! The Donabate facility is only an 11 million training facility

The stadium going by recent reports will be in Swords and will be built in a few years time.

FCC are happy with Bohs going to Harristown, there won't be any issues ??
    Find that hard to believe when they're trying to set up a football team at the same time!
    John Delaney!! GET OUT!!!
    www.ssdg.ie

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Block G Raptor View Post
    This is a non-starter for the reasons I've mentioned earlier in this thread also a significant number of resident's in "County Fingal" are foreign nationals and/or lone parent families whom in all probability won't be in the area for any real length of time nor have any emotional ties to the Area or it's wonderful community Football Club. All credit to the people involved but if they think SFFC will ever draw crowd's to Santry they should go ask Seary how difficult that is. and By the time they are in Swords they'll have Bohs as neighbors in Harristown
    I was going to say that thos could be one of the reasons why S Fingal might just work.. they are new, so are the foreigners, so it is something they can latch unto and make their own so to speak.

I just hope there aren't too many foreign supporters.. it'll be hard enough doing programmes in Irish and Ulster Scots, never mind some other mad language
    Shelbourne FC Longford Town FC Drogheda United FC Glentoran FC Derry City FC Cork City FC

All fallen beneath the Linfield Sword
    Audaces Fortuna Juvat

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LeviathanNI View Post
    it'll be hard enough doing programmes in Irish and Ulster Scots, never mind some other mad language
    Ulster Scots - What's that?
    http://pix.ie/widgets/generate/accou...000-F5F5FF.jpg

"It's time for the FAI to grow up." John O'Donoghue, Minister for Sport, RTE , Sunday 7 Nov 2004

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    711 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by soccerc View Post
    Ulster Scots - What's that?
    Essentially, it's what you get when you let Ian Paisley at automatic transcription software.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LeviathanNI View Post
    I was going to say that thos could be one of the reasons why S Fingal might just work.. they are new, so are the foreigners, so it is something they can latch unto and make their own so to speak.
    In an Ideal world yes, but the majority of migrant workers in this country do not stay in place long enough to integrate into community. there would be a high turnaround of people in social housing in Fingal. on average they stay 3 months

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    I don't think Fingals social housing is going to make or break this team!

They have one of the best financial backers in Gannon. They have one of the best marketing setups in Fingal County Council. They will have the best training faciltiy in the 11 million development on Turvey Avenue Donabate and they will have the best area in North County Dublin to draw support from if they build their stadium.

It's early but they seem to have it all if you ask me.

The only thing not planned for was the move up to the First Division while still being in Santry. They don't seem to think Santry will matter for them ??? Maybe they'll be happy enough to sit in Santry regardless of the amount at games until the new stadium comes online and then carry out further promotion.

I've already got more information through my letterbox for Sporting Fingal than I have done for all other Eircom League clubs combined and thats impressive considering I lived a 15 min walk from Tolka Park for 20 years.
    www.ssdg.ie

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by higgins View Post
    I don't think Fingals social housing is going to make or break this team!

They have one of the best financial backers in Gannon. They have one of the best marketing setups in Fingal County Council. They will have the best training faciltiy in the 11 million development on Turvey Avenue Donabate and they will have the best area in North County Dublin to draw support from if they build their stadium.

It's early but they seem to have it all if you ask me.

The only thing not planned for was the move up to the First Division while still being in Santry. They don't seem to think Santry will matter for them ??? Maybe they'll be happy enough to sit in Santry regardless of the amount at games until the new stadium comes online and then carry out further promotion.

I've already got more information through my letterbox for Sporting Fingal than I have done for all other Eircom League clubs combined and thats impressive considering I lived a 15 min walk from Tolka Park for 20 years.
    PS dont think Fingal CoCo will be as determined or excited about building a state of the art stadium after seeing them play in an empty morton stadium for a couple of years

Agree on the marketing end of things, but I just don't see people buying into this if they didn't buy into Dublin City. The established clubs have a hardcore of fans built up over generations whom without they would be totaly screwed as they struggle to draw new fans away from sky sports long enough to notice there is a league in this country at all, I cant see how fingal CoCo FC have a hope in hell of doing this, unless they build a great stadium in swords and play liverpool or man utd every week for a year to get a support base

PS dont think Fingal CoCo will be as determined or excited about building a state of the art stadium after seeing them play in an empty morton stadium for a couple of years
    Last edited by Block G Raptor; 06/02/2008 at 1:57 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    That's odd. I've had nothing here in Swords. They should really start promoting themselves now. I'm trying to mention them to anyone i can. Their apathy when sober is overwhelming. Though i did convince a few to come down to the first home game but they were drunk at the time so...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sullanefc View Post
    Hopefully they can develop the community feel as it is the best way to do it. Not enough clubs in Dublin do it this way and this leads to apathy and poor attendances.

Best of luck to them.
    Develop community feel in an area they themselves acknowledge is so transient that 25% of the population havn't lived there for more than 5yrs.....?

I will place a sizeable bet with anyone who'll take it that Sporting Fingal will amount to nothing. Their whole ambitions seem to be based largely/entirely on some misty-eyed notion of a county that doesn't exist and a 'community' (in the true sense of the word) that neither exists nor cares. If that isn't a recipe for disaster in a country that already rejects it's doemstic football, then what the hell is....?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    They have one of the best financial backers in Gannon.
    As do Wexford Youths with Wallace. What good has that doen them to-date ? You can't buy a fan-base....

They have one of the best marketing setups in Fingal County Council.
    Holy fcuk - you're claiming that a County Council has one of the best marketing set-ups ?!?!? In where - amongst County Council's ?!?!

So who will you be actively supporting in the coming season....?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts
    Had dealings with FCC and most of the officials are country folk. Perhaps they can't abide the thought of being part of Dublin and have decided to start their own county.
    Always look on the bright side of life

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    dcfcsteave,,,
    Read back through my posts. I think the key to long term success for Sporting Fingal is the move to Swords. As someone who goes to Wexford a few times a year I know Wexford Town fairly well and the field that Wallace has picked for a ground couldn't be any worse. If you are comparing that area of Wexford to Swords you're crazy. You clearly don't know Wexford or Swords.

Wallace has also said he wouldn't be aiming to spend crazy money and that all he wants is a team for the community. Read my posts again and see that I said if Gannon is going to finance their success then they will get the fans. Wallace is not interested in making Wexford into a winning team from what I can see, he's happy enough to keep the team local and just survive, you can correct me if I'm wrong there.

FCC do send around newsletters and have a website set up that people visit. In terms of marketing they can easily include information or tickets or whatever they like to in their regular communications with the Fingal residents. It's expensive for an EL team to send out information to 250,000 people! FCC can do this as and when they want and since moving to the area nearly two years ago I've been reading about this new team every few months. There's also local newspapers in the area who have carried the story from time to time and I'm sure FCC has had something to do with that. Add this in on top of the club themselves and what steps they take to promote the team.

As to who I will be supporting.
    I'll be in Cabra tonight at 7:30 if that gives you a clue.
    Last edited by higgins; 07/02/2008 at 12:57 PM.
    www.ssdg.ie

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

As to who I will be supporting.
    I'll be in Cabra tonight at 7:30 if thats give you a clue.
    Ireland Ladies? Arsenal Ladies?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts
    First Beggsboro supporter on here
    Always look on the bright side of life

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Block G Raptor View Post
    Donabate? as in -Shels were gonna move into the Wilderness of Donabate- Donabate. FFS whatever chance they had of a fan base in Swords they've no chance in Dona-feckin-bate
    In that case maybe they should consider Ballyboghill?

Seriously though, I'll take it the ground has to conform to some standard (like have seats).

So there's no option in Swords?
    Last edited by ramondo; 08/02/2008 at 1:04 AM.
    It's a Sicilian message. It means Luca Brasi swims with Team Ireland...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    47 Posts
    [quote=dcfcsteve;872014]As do Wexford Youths with Wallace. What good has that doen them to-date ? You can't buy a fan-base....

How can you say what good has it done us to date after only ONE season?? The Youths are establishing a solid community based club with, what will be, one of the finest sporting complexes in the league.

Higgins is fairly right in his assessment with one major error. Anyone who knows what is going on in Wexford would take exception to the comment that we are just there for the jollies. We intend to develop a team that can compete at the highest level, we are just realisitic enough to accept that it won't happen overnight. The plan is to try and achieve this over a period of time with local talent. If that doesn't work, it will be re-assessed.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oldyouth View Post
    We intend to develop a team that can compete at the highest level, we are just realisitic enough to accept that it won't happen overnight.
    You'll have to get used to the jibes. Any club in this league that doesn't bankrupt itself buying success is 'unprofessional' in the eyes of many on here.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    47 Posts
    I know Bald Student, I know

I take it you are a UCD man Baldie, are you coming down on Sunday for the game??

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    Not a huge amount; maybe a car full or two. Can't make the game myself, which is a shame - was looking forward to heading down.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12