Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Joseph Lapira

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,010 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Postman View Post
    Sending out some form of message to "2gs" wasn't in his remit either. I honestly can't think of any reason why we need to promote ourselves to 2g's in the US. Historically we haven't had one US born player line out for Ireland. Are you suggesting that this should be our new focus? I disagree. I'd go LOI before I'd even begin to scour America. I'd laugh if Lapira ended up in the LOI, a year after making his international debut. It wouldn't be a bad move IMO. It may actually be his best hope of getting a pro contract in the UK but ironically it would probably be curtains for his international career.
    What did it cost the Irish team to have Lapira play for a few minutes in a meaningless game? What did it cost the FAI? - Nothing.
    Nobody is suggesting it is, or should be the focus of anything.

As Bondvillain said, the little bit of accompanying media focus could have awoken a desire in talented Irish-Americans youngsters to check out their roots one more time. It is a long shot, I'll grant you, but nothing was lost by it. And at the time, who knew? Lapira might actually have been a half-decent player. Isn't a meaningless tour the best time to try out some 'prospects'. Remember there were a few international players who didn't even want to go on this tour, such was the low esteem in which it was held.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    51 Posts
    Stan heard that the player voted the best college player in the US was eligible for Ireland. Other players such as McBride(btw would'nt love to have him up top?) have won this in the past so Stan decided to cap him in the off chance he might come good. Simple as that. Are other players more "deserving" of a cap? Probably, but it's a gamble Stan took and maybe it will pay off. Or maybe it won't.

In any case he could be headed back to Toronto.
    "Jacques Santini...will be greeted in every dugout of the country by "one-nil, one-nil" - Clive Tyldsley, 89th minute of France-England June 13, 2004.
    "Ooooohhhh Nooooooo" Bobby Robson 91st minute.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Purely as a matter of interest, if Lapira was winning college MVP, why wasn't he previously capped for the US?
    We lead, they follow!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    51 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Postman View Post
    Purely as a matter of interest, if Lapira was winning college MVP, why wasn't he previously capped for the US?
    He is a bit of a late bloomer so he was never called up for the US underage teams. Plus the US underage teams are somewhat political, meaning one they select a kid at U-16 or so, they will tend to stick with him through U-17, U-19, U-21 and so on. A number of players have slipped through without ever being capped at underage level for the US e.g. Demerit(Watford) and Castillo(Santo in Mexico) because of this. Also, the US has a number of better players around the same age who play the same position e.g. Eddie Johnson, Altidore, Adu.
    "Jacques Santini...will be greeted in every dugout of the country by "one-nil, one-nil" - Clive Tyldsley, 89th minute of France-England June 13, 2004.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I would if Leeds would be a fit for him, now that Stan is the assistant manager.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    51 Posts
    The Lapira Tour continues.... now trialing at Jönköping Södra in Sweden:

http://www.jnytt.se/Read__14260.aspx

http://www.jnytt.se/Read__14152.aspx
    Last edited by Metrostars; 05/03/2008 at 12:58 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    380 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Metrostars View Post
    The Lapira Tour continues.... now trialing at Jönköping Södra in Sweden:

http://www.jnytt.se/Read__14260.aspx

http://www.jnytt.se/Read__14152.aspx
    It seems he's doing okay from those articles but had to be taken off due to foot blisters.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ifk101 View Post
    It seems he's doing okay from those articles but had to be taken off due to foot blisters.
    Are they even in the Superettan?
    I think I should the parachute, because I'm great.

In fact, I think I should get both parachutes, in case one doesn't work.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    380 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Torn-Ado View Post
    Are they even in the Superettan?
    Yes - but they'd be one of the favourites to get relegated this season. They'd be LOI first division standard so I don't think Lapira is good enough to play for them.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Can I propose that all Lapira threads get moved to another forum please. He and threads about him have never deserved to be classed as Ireland International.
    Together with all our hearts.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,376 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fergalr View Post
    Can I propose that all Lapira threads get moved to another forum please. He and threads about him have never deserved to be classed as Ireland International.
    deserved has little or nothing to do with it. He is an Irish international and all discussions about him or his career deserve to be in the international forum
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    deserved has little or nothing to do with it. He is an Irish international and all discussions about him or his career deserve to be in the international forum
    So if he ends up playing in the Boston equivalent of the AUL Div II then we still keep a thread going about him here!?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Surprised if he's touting himself to little known (at least to me) Swedish sides that he hasn't tried to go on trial with one of the full-time EL clubs. If nothing else would be a great PR exercise for both club and player...
    "Well I think they'll be a little disappointed with that" - Matt Holland on TV3 after 5-2 drubbing by Cyprus

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    380 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Ogba View Post
    Surprised if he's touting himself to little known (at least to me) Swedish sides that he hasn't tried to go on trial with one of the full-time EL clubs. If nothing else would be a great PR exercise for both club and player...
    There was a rumour not too long ago that he was on his way to UCD.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ifk101 View Post
    There was a rumour not too long ago that he was on his way to UCD.
    Yeah on the 46A.

Agree that thread should be moved to the Munster Sernior League or the like.

Can we not just forget about this shameful episode in the history of the FAI.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    247 Posts
    He's been drafted by Toronto of the MLS...the top players there make about $450,000...from a financial perspective he'd make a lot more in Canada than in Ireland most likely.

If he can sign for similar money in Sweden as to what he'd make in the MLS, it would be the smart move for him, as MLS are very reluctant to sell players, assuming he's good enough to move on.

From the perspective of advancing his career, a move to Sweden wouldn't be a bad choice.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    380 Posts
    He won't be signing for Jönköping - they don't want him.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by irishfan86 View Post
    He's been drafted by Toronto of the MLS...the top players there make about $450,000...from a financial perspective he'd make a lot more in Canada than in Ireland most likely.

If he can sign for similar money in Sweden as to what he'd make in the MLS, it would be the smart move for him, as MLS are very reluctant to sell players, assuming he's good enough to move on.

From the perspective of advancing his career, a move to Sweden wouldn't be a bad choice.

Well if its money he's after then why not stay put instead of touting himself to little-known Swedish sides? (who, more than likely, would not have the kind of money you have mentioned above)

From a career-progression point of view he could garner quite a bit of publicity from joining an EL team, perhaps even get a few European games and, if he's good enough, earn a transfer to England or Scotland (as others have)....
    Saying that, if teams like Jönköping aren't interested he's probably not even good enough for a top EL team...
    "Well I think they'll be a little disappointed with that" - Matt Holland on TV3 after 5-2 drubbing by Cyprus

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Saying that, if teams like Jönköping aren't interested he's probably not even good enough for a top EL team...
    I'm guessing that is a typo.

Based on recent euro results, top EL teams regularly beat top Swedish teams. Since Jönköping are in the Superettan (Second league of Sweden) I think you meant to say that this would make Lapira not even good enough for a EL Div 1 team.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    While I have no problems with Stan capping Lapira it just goes to show you by judging some of the younger players he introduced that he really couldn't spot an ounce of talent if it walked up to him and slapped him right in his dopey Dundalk face. Alan O'Brien, Darren Potter and Stephen O'Halloran all capped in place of the likes of Stephen Quinn (playing in the premiership at the time), Darren O'Dea and Owen Garvan.

I wonder if that guy who held him up with the gun a few years back when he started the job was sent on a Terminatoresque mission from the future to save Irish football.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast