Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A Worrying Trend

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shantykelly View Post
    this statement beggars belief. it's via the media that the vast majority of fans find out anything thats happening with the national team. the exclusion of the media and their subsequent inability to do their job and ask questions screams of unaccountability (yes, i know, but more so than usual), especially at a time when fans are unbelieveably disenchanted with the FAI's managament and choices.
    ok then, change "kept away" to "kept at arms length". media were just unhappy that they werent given access to the immediate vicinity of the meeting. as always they think they are the main event

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bondvillain View Post

They should have sounded their chosen man out with a well informed intermediary on a scouting mission. If he bites, they get their business team on a plane to Mr X pronto.

If he doesnt bite, The FAI cunningly use the black arts of the media to suggest that "the FAI had heard Mr x was interested, and are flattered by his comments, but we have not yet made a decision on an appointment", and move swiftly on to number 2 on their very short list, improving and tweaking the necessary points.

It's called staying ahead of the game. Something the FAI are sadly unfamiliar with.
    In absolute agreement with the above. Posted something similar last September while Stan was still "employed" in the hope that the FAI would adopt such an approach and avoid the ineptitudes of the previous three Managerial appointments.

People tend to forget that a lot of "Candidates" walked away from the job in 1996. Stand corrected here - but didn't Dalglish, Joe Royal and Joe Kinnear all say "Thanks but no thanks"??. Things haven't changed that much.

If the candidates success is based on the standard of "interview" (lets face it, it's an informal chat) - Allardyce could bamboozle the interview panel at the 11th hour into securing the job. It's well documented that he was very impressive at the FA interview and only narrowly missed out on the England job.
    Quoting years at random since 1975

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts
    The FAI are afraid of a refusal?

They should have sounded their chosen man out with a well informed intermediary on a scouting mission. If he bites, they get their business team on a plane to Mr X pronto.

If he doesnt bite, The FAI cunningly use the black arts of the media to suggest that "the FAI had heard Mr x was interested, and are flattered by his comments, but we have not yet made a decision on an appointment", and move swiftly on to number 2 on their very short list, improving and tweaking the necessary points.

It's called staying ahead of the game. Something the FAI are sadly unfamiliar with.

Whatever way it was done, It should not have been a 14 week media circus.
    Spot on here Bondvillain.

The process should of involved the FAI appointing a panel of well-informed football men to act independently.

They would sit in a room and talk through the possible candidates, not talk to them - just about them. When they were happy they had identified the right man they would contact a headhunter (one from the professional world) to do his business. This would involve, as you rightly say, getting a third party to 'sound-out' their perferred candidate. Keeping the panel, the headhunter and ultimately the FAI at arms length and away from any potential embarrassment.

If the candidate expresses interest then the headhunter goes to him to see what he wants in order to take the job.

Then the panel contact the FAI informing them what is needed to get their man (they shouldn't even have to say who it is as the whole process was meant to be down to the panel anyway). If the FAI can meet the demands of the candidate then the panel meet with him to discuss the job in detail, already knowing that he will take it.

Cue call from the FAI to candidate, offer of contract, acceptance of contract, we all move on. SIX WEEKS MAX!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eekers View Post
    would you prefer if they had of taken the list of names on paddy power, the first day stan was sacked
    Is that not what they did to draw up the interview list?
    The truth fears no questions...
    It's only when the tide goes out that you learn who's been swimming naked

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    490 Posts
    I believe that Plan B in this case would be Venables, as Houghtons preferred candidate, (alleged to be Roy H, interviewed for the job last year, I believe....) is already employed.
    I will love to hear what Houghton will say when this is over if that is the case

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ifk101 View Post
    Delaney has just elaborated on the selection process somewhat to avoid future finger-pointing.

this is the crux of the situation , delaney will still appoint the manager , just now he gets to blame the panel if it all goes tits up and bask in the glory if we get to a championship tournamment.
    Was he crazy!! Yeah , in a very special way , an Irishman.
    I slept, and dreamed that life was Beauty;
    I woke, and found that life was Duty.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by backtowalsall View Post
    I will love to hear what Houghton will say when this is over if that is the case
    I think the 3 amigos are now allowed to come out and talk about the personalities involved. in the process afterwards or mention anybody. Part of the thing they did when calling each candidate is agree that they will never mention who was interviewed the only person yo will know who was interviewd is the guy who gets the job. Thats the official line and to be fair up to now the 3 lads have kept to that in public anyway.
    In Trap we trust

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Impatience fuelled by a media circus! Thats all this is. I really dont see what the big rush is about. The FAI have kept the process relatively low key. Its in the papers everyday because the press make up sum bull**** story to fill their pages. Thats clear from the number of names they have put out. A new manager will probably be in place by the end of February, over 6 months before our next competitive game - plenty of time in my opinion.

As for an independent panel appointing the new manager? That was never stated and why should it happen anyways. The fai have said the three man panel is free to interview and recommend who they wish, the final decision will ultimately result with the fai which seems fair seeing as they will be his employer after all!!

So stop bowing to the media circus that is currently taking place, there will be a manager in place soon and in plenty of time as well.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by elroy View Post
    Impatience fuelled by a media circus! Thats all this is.

The media circus exists because the FAI suffer from extreme P!ss-up / Brewery facilitation issue syndrome.

I personally would call it impatience stoked by FAI ineptitude, but that's just me.
    On the way into the stadium, an elderly San Marino Steward waved us in and said "Tonight, may the best team win"

And they nearly did.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by elroy View Post
    Impatience fuelled by a media circus! Thats all this is. I really dont see what the big rush is about. The FAI have kept the process relatively low key. Its in the papers everyday because the press make up sum bull**** story to fill their pages. Thats clear from the number of names they have put out. A new manager will probably be in place by the end of February, over 6 months before our next competitive game - plenty of time in my opinion.

As for an independent panel appointing the new manager? That was never stated and why should it happen anyways. The fai have said the three man panel is free to interview and recommend who they wish, the final decision will ultimately result with the fai which seems fair seeing as they will be his employer after all!!

So stop bowing to the media circus that is currently taking place, there will be a manager in place soon and in plenty of time as well.
    Yeah I agree with all of this with the caveat that they must get the right guy.
    In Trap we trust

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilMcD View Post
    I'm very much of the opinion that if they DO get "the right man" it won't be through any considered forward planning, or the results of a farcical "world class" interview board's deliberations, but through sheer dumb luck.

Our next manager will either be Venables, or someone previously unconsidered who the Interview panel fortuitously fell over on the way to present Venables name for ratification.
    On the way into the stadium, an elderly San Marino Steward waved us in and said "Tonight, may the best team win"

And they nearly did.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilMcD View Post
    Agreed but does anyone know who the right guy is?? Who wouldve said Jack C was the right man back in 1986. But a manager with very good credentials, experience, track record etc is a must.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I'm very much of the opinion that if they DO get "the right man" it won't be through any considered forward planning, or the results of a farcical "world class" interview board's deliberations, but through sheer dumb luck.

Our next manager will either be Venables, or someone previously unconsidered who the Interview panel fortuitously fell over on the way to present Venables name for ratification.

So you must be privy to who the amigos have interviewed then????????

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenforever View Post
    So you must be privy to who the amigos have interviewed then????????
    Yes. Yes I am, because that's exactly what "I'm very much of the opinion.." means.

It means I am privy to the facts, doesn't it?

Jesus.

And they nearly did.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    161 Posts
    Do the Italian's, Dutch, Germans, Spanish etc etc go about selecting their managers this way? Like **** they do. But Delaney knows better.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,713 Posts
    Yes, but like the Scots, they have an abundance of coaches from their own country capable and experienced enough to succeed at international football.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Yes. Yes I am, because that's exactly what "I'm very much of the opinion.." means.

It means I am privy to the facts, doesn't it?

Jesus.
    Ah....no it doesnt mean that at all (that you are privvy to the facts).

It just means you have a strong opinion about something.

There is no logic to your statement.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    Yes, but like the Scots, they have an abundance of coaches from their own country capable and experienced enough to succeed at international football.
    We appointed two of our own and ruined them after 1 and a half (Kerr)and one (stan) qualifying campaigns.

The players it seems, as is apparent now from their various comments, didnt respect him either because he hadn't played or manged at top flight football so they felt what would he know they thought.

Wenger.....Hodgson (lower league teams)....Benitez ....Mourinho anyone????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Guts&Glory View Post
    We appointed two of our own and ruined them after 1 and a half (Kerr)and one (stan) qualifying campaigns.

ah come on now, you can't really call stan a coach now can you?!
    "Well I think they'll be a little disappointed with that" - Matt Holland on TV3 after 5-2 drubbing by Cyprus

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12