Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drumcondra

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Drumcondra

I was talking with my granda about football way back when. He said Drumcodra(or something like that) where a fine team. Has anyone got any background on this club and what happened to them?
    The Hallion Battalion Molests football.:D

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    238 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Bruce View Post
    I was talking with my granda about football way back when. He said Drumcodra(or something like that) where a fine team. Has anyone got any background on this club and what happened to them?
    Bertie Ahern doesn't support any LOI team since "his team" Drumcondra went out of business. They are just round the corner from Shels.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam_Heggy View Post
    Bertie Ahern doesn't support any LOI team since "his team" Drumcondra went out of business. They are just round the corner from Shels.
    I appreciate the response, but was looking for something a bit more indepth.

Thanks
    The Hallion Battalion Molests football.:D

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Drumcondra were formally a league club and former inhabitants of Tolka. They went out of business many moons ago. 72 maybe. They joined with Home Farm (rough end of the deal afaik, who was involved in this? Kilcoynes?? ) when they went out of business. They won a few league titles and played in Europe. Still feature in one of the junior leagues nowadays. Or LSL maybe. Not sure

EDIT: The jersey in my avatar was a tribute to Drums to try intice some of their fans to games btw

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Heres a link from wikpedia on Drums

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drumcondra_F.C.

Now they have schoolboy teams playing in Clonturk Pk (directly opp. Tolka Pk) and a team in the LSL. Currently, the LSL team play their home games in Morton Stadium

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts
    McShels is right. Club still going strong albeit at intermediate level. They reached the third round of the FAI Cup three years ago, beated by UCD i think. They won the LOI 5 times and the FAI Cup 5 times.
    Always look on the bright side of life

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    My Grandfather played for them back in the 30's i think it was. Dom Healy was his name. I don't actually know a huge amount about them but ive seen some medals about the house belonging to him and theres a photo from a newspaper from 1935.

There is a Drumcondra in LSL Div 1A and a Drumcondra Athletic in LSL Div 1B.
    I was at a Rathcoole Boys v Drums Ath game and i got talking to a man there. He claims that Drums Ath are the 'REAL' Drumcondra. Im not sure if thats 100% true or not but he did seem passionate about what he was tellin me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cornerflag View Post
    My Grandfather played for them back in the 30's i think it was. Dom Healy was his name. I don't actually know a huge amount about them but ive seen some medals about the house belonging to him and theres a photo from a newspaper from 1935.

There is a Drumcondra in LSL Div 1A and a Drumcondra Athletic in LSL Div 1B.
    I was at a Rathcoole Boys v Drums Ath game and i got talking to a man there. He claims that Drums Ath are the 'REAL' Drumcondra. Im not sure if thats 100% true or not but he did seem passionate about what he was tellin me.

Its not true. Athletic only started up about 10 years ago. Drumcondra FC reformed in the 70s after HOme Farm took over Tolka Park.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Fair enough maybe the old timer had his wires crossed. where do Drumcondra FC play these days?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Get a hold of a copy of "Who Stole Our Game" - The Fall and Fall of Irish Soccer by Daire Whelan.

Good account of the decline of the League and a good chapter or two on the Drums - Rovers rivalry from way back when
    Kom Igen, FCK...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    My father was a big drums fan. Went on to be a shels fan. My dad often mentioned how he left a Drums game ( this would have been the 50s I think) and they were 3-0 up at half time against I THINK Shams, and he went to watch Shels play cos that game was over, only to find Rovers beat them 4-3 in the end. I never seen a League of Ireland Drums game. They were merged with Home Farm in 71-72 and chanegd to Home Famr Drumcondra FC but changed back the next season to just Home Farm. But I am sure the wiki says that. I just heard this so many time growing up. Now even sure its true
    For all your League of Ireland news - www.extratime.ie

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts
    Drums play in Morton Stadium.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Was in dublin for an interview yesterday and met a taxi driver who played for them..name was pat symth i think! He played in most grounds in ireland.
    The future's bright......maroon and white

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts
    Didn't Drumcondra used to get savage crowds? They were the main northside club and Rovers the main southsiders. The derbies were massive games with massive crowds. In short, massive.
    Dundalk 1 - "the worst team to ever play in the premier" 2 :D

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Maybe the goalkeepers name was MICK Smyth?

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WindmillWarrior View Post
    Didn't Drumcondra used to get savage crowds? They were the main northside club and Rovers the main southsiders. The derbies were massive games with massive crowds. In short, massive.
    Yea they did especially for the games with Rovers. My Dad followed Drums and he has told me stories of going to a game in Tolks 2 hours before kick off to make sure he got in (He's from Seville Place in the City Centre)

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,524 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WindmillWarrior View Post
    They did I think, but by the time Harps entered the league their crowds had dropped away hugely. According to Patsy McGowan's book anyway!
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr A View Post
    They did I think, but by the time Harps entered the league their crowds had dropped away hugely. According to Patsy McGowan's book anyway!
    The competitive appeal of the Ballyboforlar heroes spread all the way to the nation's capital, eh....?!?

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cornerflag View Post
    The guy you were talking to was probably Tim Grace. He's an uncle of the two goalkeeping brothers Jim and John Grace. He lives in Drumcondra and set up Drumcondra Ath about 15 years ago. I think he considers them the "real" Drumcondra because they train and play in Drumcondra whereas the other Drums play in Santry. John Grace played in goal for their first team for a few seasons, think he might have retired now.

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    780 Posts
    I went to many Drums vs Rovers games. Crowds weren't any bigger than for the Shels vs Rovers games. No fear of getting crushed to death but they were sizeable enough. I think they used to play in sky blue jerseys if memory serves me right.
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast