Page 105 of 212 FirstFirst ... 55595103104105106107115155205 ... LastLast
Results 2,081 to 2,100 of 4233

Thread: Stephen Ireland

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    We have had more nonsense written in this thread about Hunt and his interview than could ever come out of Hunt's mouth in a hundred interviews.

There is nothing controversial in the interview, if fact he echoes the comments of many fans on the SI issue. Dare I say it, even a few of mine.
    The big problem with player quotes/interview is how the article is edited to suit the agenda of the paper, usually starting with the headline.
    That is the main reason why footballers who have something to say, however banal, won't and keep their mouth shut.
    If Hunt said a normal enough - "I love being a part of the team but I hate sitting on the bench". headline would read "Hunt Discontent with Trap".

International Prospect passinginterest's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    424 Posts
    There was more than one interview folks.

The quote that Ireland's Dad could play was made during an interview with TV3 news. That's the problem most people have with Hunt, he continues to make comments to various different media about the issue when really the professional think to do would be say as little as possible about it.

Tallaght Stadium Regular

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by irishfan86 View Post
    Hunt's interview is actually quite balanced, but it seems that some of you have been reading/listening selectively. Some excerpts from that interview that stick out to me that totally contradict how some of you are trying to depict Hunt:

http://www.independent.ie/sport/socc...g-1767772.html

But hey, don't let the facts get in the way of a good story...
    Nothing really wrong in the above interview. However, this was one of many, see post by Passing Interest re interview on TV3. But Hey...don't let the facts get in the way of defending Hunt....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by passinginterest View Post
    There was more than one interview folks.

The quote that Ireland's Dad could play was made during an interview with TV3 news. That's the problem most people have with Hunt, he continues to make comments to various different media about the issue when really the professional think to do would be say as little as possible about it.
    Exactly...more than one interview. Some very selective reading / listening by those defending Hunt

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Den Perry View Post
    Exactly...more than one interview. Some very selective reading / listening by those defending Hunt
    Why has this become a thread about the rights and wrongs of Stephen Hunt, and crucifying those who defend him?

If we took that attitude towards every Irish player to give an interview/comment, we'd have no time for any of them surely?

I think certain people are looking to deflect blame away from Stephen Ireland by throwing it at the easiest target they can find which fits their picture

Not only Stephen Ireland that needs to do a bit of growing up and open their eyes to the real world...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Polster View Post
    Why has this become a thread about the rights and wrongs of Stephen Hunt, and crucifying those who defend him?

If we took that attitude towards every Irish player to give an interview/comment, we'd have no time for any of them surely?

I think certain people are looking to deflect blame away from Stephen Ireland by throwing it at the easiest target they can find which fits their picture

Not only Stephen Ireland that needs to do a bit of growing up and open their eyes to the real world...
    the title of the thread is "Stephen Ireland".The debate regarding his absence from the Irish squad is without doubt the main topic of conversation. Hunt chose to give his opinion on this in a very public way, thus discussing Hunt's interviews is very relevant and not off topic.

In addition, not every Irish player gave an interview / comment of such a nature. In fact I can think of very few who have given controversial interviews. That's my point though. How come nobody else is speaking out?probably because the vast majority realise that Ireland would be a great addition and do not want to jeopardise a possible return....or perhaps they are not publicity mad?

Deflect the blame from SI? why is Hunt such an "easy target"? is it because he makes himself one?

For the record, in no way am I saying that SI is blameless in all of this

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    49 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Den Perry View Post
    the title of the thread is "Stephen Ireland".The debate regarding his absence from the Irish squad is without doubt the main topic of conversation. Hunt chose to give his opinion on this in a very public way, thus discussing Hunt's interviews is very relevant and not off topic.

In addition, not every Irish player gave an interview / comment of such a nature. In fact I can think of very few who have given controversial interviews. That's my point though. How come nobody else is speaking out?probably because the vast majority realise that Ireland would be a great addition and do not want to jeopardise a possible return....or perhaps they are not publicity mad?

Deflect the blame from SI? why is Hunt such an "easy target"? is it because he makes himself one?

For the record, in no way am I saying that SI is blameless in all of this
    spot on that post. spot on.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,629 Posts
    Look, its as simple as this.

A good professional's only remark would be something along the lines of "Stephen Ireland is a smashing player but whether he comes back to the squad or not is a decision for himself and the manager to make".

Any further comments undermine his professionalism and will not provide any easy forgiveness from either side in the future. Taking digs at Ireland in any way, shape or form and bringing his Dad into it is pathetic. He is a plonker.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    .....and bringing his Dad into it is pathetic.......
    As he has not indicated otherwise, Stephen Ireland seems happy for his Dad to talk to the press. Can't see how Stephen Hunt can be blamed for mentioning SI's dad.

If SI is having any thoughts about making himself available or talking to Trap why doesn't he come out and say so himself, after all he had plenty to say only a few weeks ago about not coming back.

Worth remembering what he actually said recently:
    "I don't think there is a future there to be honest. It is unlikely I will go back. I am happy at the moment with my club and my family. It's a shame the way I left. It wasn't the right way to leave but even before that, I thought something was stirring up. It was a ticking time-bomb and I just didn't enjoy my time there. Sometimes, it is hard to say I'll never go back because anything can change and it's got nothing to do with the staff, the management or the players. But right now I'm just happy with my club."

It would be interesting to hear directly from SI rather than from his Dad what has changed from his pretty comprehensive and forthright comments of a few weeks ago for him to contemplate coming back now, if that is what he is thinking.
    Honest! I am not a secret Tim nor a closet Sham - I really am a Seagull.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,629 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Superhoops View Post
    As he has not indicated otherwise, Stephen Ireland seems happy for his Dad to talk to the press. Can't see how Stephen Hunt can be blamed for mentioning SI's dad.
    he shouldnt be mentioning anything about the situation! Thats the point of my post.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts

Any further comments undermine his professionalism and will not provide any easy forgiveness from either side in the future. Taking digs at Ireland in any way, shape or form and bringing his Dad into it is pathetic. He is a plonker.
    Is plonker worse than pants?
    What easy forgiveness are you on about?
    No member of the Irish squad has anything to forgive about towards SI.

No squad member should have to walk around eggshells in case he dare offend the sensitivities of a player who has walked out and said he will not return. If SI is not big enough to handle Hunt's comments then there is no way he will ever come back.
    I am more interested in the players who do turn up for squad duty.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,629 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    Is plonker worse than pants?
    What easy forgiveness are you on about?
    No member of the Irish squad has anything to forgive about towards SI.

No squad member should have to walk around eggshells in case he dare offend the sensitivities of a player who has walked out and said he will not return. If SI is not big enough to handle Hunt's comments then there is no way he will ever come back.
    I am more interested in the players who do turn up for squad duty.
    i think you have kind of missed most of my point - not sure if it was intentional or not. I care only about the guys who turn up for duty but at the same time we have a player out there who is a good player and would be an addition to our squad. Hunts remarks, whether right or wrong are at best stupid and at worst unprofessional and provocative.

Im not an SI sympathiser, i just think Hunts approach is way out of line and he should be reined in. They do no good - at all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    17 Posts
    the best part of the ridiculousness of this thread is that it actually mirrors the real-life situation.
    zombie/thread killer..

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Hunts remarks, whether right or wrong are at best stupid and at worst unprofessional and provocative.

Im not an SI sympathiser, i just think Hunts approach is way out of line and he should be reined in. They do no good - at all.
    I have listened to this interview and I am astounded at the reaction to it here even from posters who usually make sense. There is absolutely nothing in that low key, soft spoken interview to come close to be unprofessional as a member of the Irish squad, not to mention provocative to any Irish fan.
    If you mean provocative to SI, get a grip onto yourself.

As for others slagging Hunt's (lack of) dress sense, coming from Irish fans?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    244 Posts
    With an Italian in charge of the national side now, Ireland as a nation must aspire to higher forms of fashion.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,629 Posts
    I have listened to this interview and I am astounded at the reaction to it here even from posters who usually make sense. There is absolutely nothing in that low key, soft spoken interview to come close to be unprofessional as a member of the Irish squad, not to mention provocative to any Irish fan.
    If you mean provocative to SI, get a grip onto yourself.
    why are you getting so worked up about it? I think Hunts repeated (its more than one interview or occasion) comments on the already sensitive SI issue are unprofessional and unproductive. The unprofessionalism stems from the fact that he should make no comment on the situation whatsoever. That is up to the manager and maybe the captain of the team. You obviously have no problem with Hunt being the self-elected spokesperson for the players on the feelings within the camp. I do.

Everyone is sick to death of this issue, including me, but any comments from Hunt or any player only serve to stoke the fire. The only benefit i see you offering regarding his repeated comments on the matter is that it embarrasses SI and thats good enough for you. Maybe im misunderstanding what you are trying to say but please for my sake, outline how Hunts willingness to give quotes to the media helps matters.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    ..... I think Hunts repeated (its more than one interview or occasion) comments on the already sensitive SI issue are unprofessional and unproductive.....
    Sensitive to who? Stephen Ireland? F**k him!

.....The unprofessionalism stems from the fact that he should make no comment on the situation whatsoever. That is up to the manager and maybe the captain of the team. You obviously have no problem with Hunt being the self-elected spokesperson for the players on the feelings within the camp. I do...
    Why shouldn't he comment on it? He was asked a question and has answered it truthfully.

.......You obviously have no problem with Hunt being the self-elected spokesperson for the players on the feelings within the camp. I do...
    Who said he was the self-elected spokesperson? Hunt specifically said 'It's how the team feels. It doesn't make a difference how I feel, I don't want to dodge a bullet, but it's how the team feels," . That doesn't sound like a team spokesman!

....Everyone is sick to death of this issue, including me, but any comments from Hunt or any player only serve to stoke the fire. The only benefit i see you offering regarding his repeated comments on the matter is that it embarrasses SI and thats good enough for you. Maybe im misunderstanding what you are trying to say but please for my sake, outline how Hunts willingness to give quotes to the media helps matters.
    There is no fire to stoke. SI has said emphatically he doesn't want to play right now'. End of, until he says something different!

I doubt if Hunt's comments will embarrass SI. Hunt has not said anything that SI doesn't know already (unless SI is completely thick). He must know that if he did decide to make himself available, it is unlikely that everyone in the Ireland set-up would welcome him back with open arms. Even on the poll on this thread, only half would welcome him back unconditionally. Why should that be any different among the team?

I cannot see how Hunt's comments changes anything as far as SI is concerned.
    Honest! I am not a secret Tim nor a closet Sham - I really am a Seagull.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,629 Posts
    Sensitive to who? Stephen Ireland? F**k him!
    sensitive in general - media, Trappatoni, irish public.

Why shouldn't he comment on it? He was asked a question and has answered it truthfully.
    it's unprofessional for him to be spouting off on the subject the way he does regularly.

Who said he was the self-elected spokesperson? Hunt specifically said 'It's how the team feels. It doesn't make a difference how I feel, I don't want to dodge a bullet, but it's how the team feels," . That doesn't sound like a team spokesman!
    It does to me.

There is no fire to stoke. SI has said emphatically he doesn't want to play right now'. End of, until he says something different!
    stoking the fire = keeping this alive in the media apparently against the wishes of the manager.

I doubt if Hunt's comments will embarrass SI. Hunt has not said anything that SI doesn't know already (unless SI is completely thick). He must know that if he did decide to make himself available, it is unlikely that everyone in the Ireland set-up would welcome him back with open arms. Even on the poll on this thread, only half would welcome him back unconditionally. Why should that be any different among the team?
    Id doubt they'd embarrass him either. He has far more to embarrass him that clearly doesnt. I was addressing that remark to geysir, it seems you dont understand what i was getting at.

I cannot see how Hunt's comments changes anything as far as SI is concerned.
    Think about it some more and get back to me.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

Yes the costumes worn by Orish fans is a much more pressing problem than whether stephen Ireland returns or not! The over-sized leprechaun hats, the green wigs and inflatable shamrocks are a national embarrassment. The blight is now affecting rugby games as well, who are these cringe inducing freaks??
    I was watching the Irish U20 rugby team in Japan and there was a bunch of these nobs in the stands...we need to stop this now before the virus spreads any further.

If Stepehen Ireland wants to come back now that's fine, all he has to do is say he's a bit mad which I think might just be the simple truth of the matter...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    85 Posts
    I think we would all like him back if he got us qualified
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist thinks it will change; the realist adjusts the sails.