Results 1,161 to 1,180 of 4233

Thread: Stephen Ireland

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jmurphyc View Post
    I disagree with that. I think Reid is a far superior player to Ireland at present. Ireland goes missing a lot during games. I can't see it being something that Trap would put up with from a central midfielder. Plus, his defensive positioning is woeful.
    We are all angry and annoyed with S. Manchester but that remark is simply deluded.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Reality Bites View Post
    We are all angry and annoyed with S. Manchester but that remark is simply deluded.
    Do you care to explain how? I suggest you rewatch his final appearance in an Ireland shirt. He was dreadful in that game. Unless he's improved remarkably seen then putting him in a 2 man central midfield would be suicide for us.
    My concerns are global. I reject absolutely revenge, aggression, and retaliation. The foundation of such a method, is love. I love you Sheriff Truman.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Do you care to explain how? I suggest you rewatch his final appearance in an Ireland shirt. He was dreadful in that game. Unless he's improved remarkably seen then putting him in a 2 man central midfield would be suicide for us.
    Much as I despise the little sh1t it's obvious that he has......

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Yes he has - which has added to the ire of Irish supporters - possibly one of the most exciting emerging talents in premiership now

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Have we no pride in this country ? that currently we would have to beg someone to play for us. The ball is in his court and has been for a long time. He should come running to us not vica versa,it is getting embarassing.

Personal View - leave it to Trappatoni to decide

Personal Preference - he appears to place damn all value on a green shirt and for that reason I dont wish to see him anywhere near one (even if it is to the detriment of the team - which I dont think it would be)

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    Yes he has - which has added to the ire of Irish supporters - possibly one of the most exciting emerging talents in premiership now
    Not me.. Lads I'm telling ye... Sit back... Wait... And watch the little dope go to bits.
    I pity the fool!.... But suggest ways that he might improve himself.

www.thefastleague.com

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    possibly one of the most exciting emerging talents in premiership now
    Give us a break will ya, any Hull supporters would claim the same about half of their team. He's not a bad player but certainly not a world class player that could walk into any team. If he's as good as people suggest lets see what top clubs put in an offer for the muppet in the next transfer window.
    MOT

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Back to my original comment though -if he did come back how would Trapp accomodate him without ruining the shape and mentality of team, I think I am coming around to thinking he mightn't make a huge difference and we would be more annoyed if he was a holding midfielder because then we really would need him, at the moment he is just a better version of Andy Reid so no huge loss at the moment...It's an SOS to no-frill hard tackling simple passing midfielders - Fancy Dans need not apply just now..

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dublin12 View Post
    Give us a break will ya, any Hull supporters would claim the same about half of their team. He's not a bad player but certainly not a world class player that could walk into any team. If he's as good as people suggest lets see what top clubs put in an offer for the muppet in the next transfer window.
    More to the point let's see if Hughes spends any of the millions at his disposal on someone else in his position in teh transfer window or doesn't think he needs to. He's playing for by far the richest club in Europe, he doesn't need to go anywhere.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Drumcondra 69er View Post
    He's playing for by far the richest club in Europe, he doesn't need to go anywhere.
    Thats what Duffer thought at Chelsea or Scott Parker, remember him
    MOT

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    245 Posts
    If he did return I'd say he'd be competing for McGeady's spot, or could fill in at Robbie's position "in the hole" if he was unavailable.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    What is it about Cork people turning their backs on their counrty.

Stephen Manchester = Scumbag

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kingdomkerry View Post
    What is it about Cork people turning their backs on their counrty.

Stephen Manchester = Scumbag
    Pppppppppppppffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My grandad fought for our country, blah blah blah

Stick to the gaa!!
    COBH RAMBLERS FIRST DIV CHAMPS 2007

http://irish-abroad.appspot.com/GameDayDetails fantastic website by tetsujin1979

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    207 Posts
    Back to my original comment though -if he did come back how would Trapp accomodate him without ruining the shape and mentality of team, I think I am coming around to thinking he mightn't make a huge difference and we would be more annoyed if he was a holding midfielder because then we really would need him, at the moment he is just a better version of Andy Reid so no huge loss at the moment...It's an SOS to no-frill hard tackling simple passing midfielders - Fancy Dans need not apply just now..

If the shape and mentality of the team is defined by Whelan and Gibson we are in the deep deep sh*t. Ireland is a different class to all our other midfield contenders including Andy Reid. He is well capable of fulfilling the sort of role that Trap wants from the central midfield, whilst at the same time providing the guile and vision to service Robbie and Doyle. He would IMO make a huge positive difference to the team. A fit Stephen Reid and Ireland would turn us from being a well organised unit into a very good international team.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by third policeman View Post
    He is well capable of fulfilling the sort of role that Trap wants from the central midfield
    Completely disagree. Ireland is a Hleb, Nakamura, Krajcnar type player. A player that will always be as good as the team he's in. Certainly not a central midfielder atm but may develop into one. He's playing centrally this season but always in a 3 man midfield with SWP, Robinho and Jo ahead. Elano also isn't a great defender but Elano+Ireland alongside Kompany is strong enough. I think S.Reid, A.Reid and Ireland would work very well as a 3 man midfield in the right team.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,334 Posts
    He is well capable of fulfilling the sort of role that Trap wants from the central midfield
    Not even close to it. Trapattoni wants his central midfield to protect the centre of defence and spray the ball out to two creative wingers. Ireland was sent off last season for one of his tackles near the penalty area! His passing ability is far above Whelan, Gibson and possibly Steven Reid, but only in the last third of the pitch, in a through ball sense. If he did come back to the squad, I genuinely believe he'd be behind McGeady for the right wing spot, and behind Robbie Keane for the out and out striker position.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    245 Posts
    Assuming he hadn't left us, I'd have him starting over McGeady to be honest with you.

We don't need crossing ability, we need through balls and more goals from midfield.

McGeady, tricky though he can be, hasn't been scoring goals for Celtic like he did last season.

We need end product from our attacking 4, and that is basically all Stephen Ireland is doing right now- scoring and setting goals up every game.

That said, if he returned I wouldn't start him in favour of McGeady right away- he'd have to start on the bench and work his way back into the team.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,712 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by irishfan86 View Post
    We don't need crossing ability, we need through balls and more goals from midfield.
    My inclination would be to play Andy Reid in one of the wide roles. Trap could keep his solid CM pairing still.

Good point eb about being as good as the team he's in. He's the kind of player that'll perform well if the others around him have the measure of the opposition. If not he'll struggle.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    207 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eirebhoy View Post
    Completely disagree. Ireland is a Hleb, Nakamura, Krajcnar type player. A player that will always be as good as the team he's in. Certainly not a central midfielder atm but may develop into one. He's playing centrally this season but always in a 3 man midfield with SWP, Robinho and Jo ahead. Elano also isn't a great defender but Elano+Ireland alongside Kompany is strong enough. I think S.Reid, A.Reid and Ireland would work very well as a 3 man midfield in the right team.

I dont think that because he has the capability to play in a more attacking and creative role that he does not have the attributes to play in the Trap system. There was a lengthy analysis on LFCTV of his performance against Liverpool. City totally dominated the midfield in the first half and Ireland's tacking and closing down work was exceptional. The fact that he can use the ball creatively when he has won it is a massive bonus.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I dont think that because he has the capability to play in a more attacking and creative role that he does not have the attributes to play in the Trap system. There was a lengthy analysis on LFCTV of his performance against Liverpool. City totally dominated the midfield in the first half and Ireland's tacking and closing down work was exceptional. The fact that he can use the ball creatively when he has won it is a massive bonus.
    His best games for us - in his short spell - were always when he was just behind the striker. What we would need him for is his creativity. In terms of spots for a two man central midfield I'd say Ireland would be way down on the list of contenders. When he played for us in that position before he was costing us games and had no defensive side to his game whatsoever. If he were to come back I'd be almost certain it would be as a wide player or behind the front man. Playing him in a two man central midfield would make us weaker, not stronger.
    My concerns are global. I reject absolutely revenge, aggression, and retaliation. The foundation of such a method, is love. I love you Sheriff Truman.