147 26.68%
Page 4 of 212 FirstFirst ... 234561454104 ... LastLast

Thread: Stephen Ireland

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    50 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cavan_fan View Post
    If only we had a world class underage manager somewhere in the country idling his time. The sort of guy who could win european championship and get to world championship semi finals. Oh wait.....
    I'd love to see someone like Kerr take on the U21's but I doubt it would ever happen.....can't see the FAI asking & can't imagine Kerr accepting

I think someone like Liam Brady or even Steve Heighway would be a brilliant candidate for the U21 job...both have been entrusted with the development of 2 of the biggest teams in Europes youth systems so their qualifications are beyond reproach...question is, would either of them do it?
    You show me a good loser and I'll show you a loser - Vince Lombardi

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    244 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Wangball View Post
    I'd love to see someone like Kerr take on the U21's but I doubt it would ever happen.....can't see the FAI asking & can't imagine Kerr accepting

I think someone like Liam Brady or even Steve Heighway would be a brilliant candidate for the U21 job...both have been entrusted with the development of 2 of the biggest teams in Europes youth systems so their qualifications are beyond reproach...question is, would either of them do it?
    Perhaps if they were promised the position of the senior squad if they achieved reasonable success (qualification for major youth tournaments).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    If Kerr were in charge, then Stephen Ireland's mood would be irrelevant. He stated before he would never play for Ireland again if Kerr was the manager
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    TBH I don't think he's good enough to start in a 4 man midfield for us yet. A 5 man midfield definitely, but if he was starting in the centre of a 4 man midfield the other central midfielder would have his work cut out protecting his defence as Ireland does **** all to help (as was the case in Slovakia when Carsley was doing the work of two players for the whole game).
    My concerns are global. I reject absolutely revenge, aggression, and retaliation. The foundation of such a method, is love. I love you Sheriff Truman.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    244 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jmurphyc View Post
    TBH I don't think he's good enough to start in a 4 man midfield for us yet. A 5 man midfield definitely, but if he was starting in the centre of a 4 man midfield the other central midfielder would have his work cut out protecting his defence as Ireland does **** all to help (as was the case in Slovakia when Carsley was doing the work of two players for the whole game).
    I think he can work in a 4 man midfield as a wide man, but I'd agree with leaving him out of the centre of the park in a 4 man midfield.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by irishfan86 View Post
    I think he can work in a 4 man midfield as a wide man, but I'd agree with leaving him out of the centre of the park in a 4 man midfield.
    I know he plays on the right for City but I don't really like him in that role as he'll drift in a lot and we'll lose our threat down the right. I think the best role for him unless Sven makes him more tactically aware is in the hole behind our striker(s).
    My concerns are global. I reject absolutely revenge, aggression, and retaliation. The foundation of such a method, is love. I love you Sheriff Truman.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    He's kinda similar to Kranjnar at Pompey.

International Prospect bennocelt's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    335 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Denis The Red View Post
    Did he wait by the phone for Damien Duff to tell him he's fit again, or Steven Reid?
    He's the manager (temporary), he should manage.
    As I see it the lad has or had problems and after "granny-gate" he felt he wouldn't be right to play for his country. It's all very tragic what happened and his decision should be respected. In the meantime Stan gets sacked, Given steps in for the Wales match and leaves him out without calling him on the basis that he said no to the previous manager.
    Then he gives us this crap about giving up your right arm for the jersey (it wouldn't fit properly if you did) and expects us all to put on our best patriotic face and call him a traitor.
    As I said earlier, there should be a middle ground. Maybe Bertie could step in and mediate in between tribunal appearances.

Yeah agree
    I cant stand Givens, and would imagine that if i was a footballer i would rather ignore him than play for him, ala Ireland.
    I mean it all goes back to Roy again. Its hard to play for Ireland with the shower thats running it
    And i hate all that patriotic rubbish, its about professionalism and proper coaching, and treating player with respect, and not having rants to the press.
    Can we really trust Givens to pick irelands next manager?

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    148 Posts
    Givens has behaved disgracefully. He has made the situation worse than it was and has made the job of the new manager harder.
    He has taken on a role of "holder of the torch" for the Irish football pulic and the nation at large.

Ireland desperately need a player like S.Ireland to help us qualify for the World Cup. He is one of the best young players in the Premier League. Much is made of his so called defensive fraities, but against West Ham I thought him to be one of the best tacklers on the pitch.

Givens could have left him out and when asked about his ommission, simply said that he felt the new manager should be the one to decide on his role with Ireland. That way he wouldn't compromise his own beliefs, but woudn't more or less terminate the international career of a young, albeit temperamental young fella

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    50 Posts
    Maybe the reason we haven't had a managerial appointment yet is that Don is waiting for the applicants to all him....why should he go to them cap in hand asking them if they want to manage Ireland??

said it before and I'll say it again, he's a clown of the highest proportion with a very high opinion of himself
    You show me a good loser and I'll show you a loser - Vince Lombardi

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    He's not strictly speaking a right winger at Man City, if you watch him when Elano gets the ball, he starts running down the inside right channel, between the centre half and the full back. I've seen him play through the middle as well.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bennocelt View Post
    ......its about professionalism and proper coaching, and treating player with respect......
    What about players showing respect to their team mates, to the fans, to the management and to the privilege of playing for their country. Didn't see much of that from SI not only in Bratislava but also when he walked out on Kerr and his colleagues. What has SI done to deserve anyone's respect?
    Honest! I am not a secret Tim nor a closet Sham - I really am a Seagull.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    What should the new manager do?

a. Ignore him until contacted first.
    b. Name him in the next squad and wait for a response.
    c. Name him in the squad and leave his tel nr with the club with an invitation to call.
    d. Meet with him personally and talk about his "state of mind" before naming him in the squad.
    e) "broker" a return via his club manager
    Last edited by geysir; 26/01/2008 at 3:17 PM. Reason: added an e)

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,679 Posts
    e) "broker" a return via his club manager?

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Now you can committ yourself Stutts.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    214 Posts
    If I was the new manager I'd like to think I'd have a chat in person or on the phone at least with each memeber of my senior squad.

I'd ask Stephen straight out does he want to play for his country? If he says no then fair enough, if he says "maybe in a few months time I'm still unsure" I'd tell him he turns up for the first training squad or he'll never get a game during my reign as manager. If he says yes then I'd welcome him into the squad and reassure him that I'll do everything in my power to help him out so long as he doesn't take the mick - no lies or BS or else he's on the first plane home to Manchester.
    "If God had meant football to be played in the air, he'd have put grass in the sky." Brian Clough.

You'll NEVER beat the Irish.......you'll just draw with us instead!!!

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by eirebhoy View Post
    Givens was a silly with his comments yesterday.

An awful lot of people would give their right arm to pull on that green shirt. He doesn’t want to.”

"I am not going to drive up to Manchester to be humiliated by someone like that."

"I want commitment from the other side."

“This Association bent over backward for him, the previous manager [Stephen Staunton] flew to Manchester to talk to him, and he turned it down.”

All that's doing is annoying Ireland and he may feel it's not worth it.
    Givens is damn right and he hits the nail on the head here.Every single person on this forum would give anything to play for Ireland yet young Stephen couldn't give a ****.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Conpletely agree Doc TV.

This thing was ridicoulous.

One press corp person, from Newstalk106, with his own agenda raised the question and then wouldn't let the issue go, pushing Givens on it.

Now like most, or all, of the previous posts I am no fan of Givens but we have all heard his ramblings before and one thing Givens is not is a calm, composed public speaker.

Most other managers would have answered the first question and then said ' I have no further comment on the Stephen Ireland issue' thats the end of it for then.

His (Givens) comments went a bit OTT, as he shouldnt have said them publicly, but I absolutely agree with him as regards why should he fall over himself trying to get in touch with S Ireland.

Considering whats went before S Ireland is the one that should be crawling over hot coals trying to get in touch with the FAI/Givens, it isnt that hard.

Richie Dunne is in the same dressing room day in day out as him, he can easily pass on word he is ready to come back in, or what about shock horror phoning Don Givens , 'Hi Don Im ready to be considered again if you deem me worthy of a place'. A bit of humility would do wonders.

Stpehen ireland isnt a pre teen child that needs molicoddling he needs to grow up, cop on and get a set of ba**s and come back into the fold the immature idiot.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    I like the fact that Givens is tough on the players at U21 level, though it should be done in private not through the media.

I remember a few years ago he laid into Keith Foy, who was playing at Forest at the time and had great potential but he didn't take care of his body and his attitude wasn't right, he didn't make it but Givens gave him all the warnings he could have needed.

He also got into Fat Boy Andy Reid and I think it spurred Reid on.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Qwerty View Post
    He also got into Fat Boy Andy Reid and I think it spurred Reid on.
    Dunno about that, Reid has often said the youth coach at Forest was a massive influence on him getting his act together, and his girlfriend at home in Ireland was pregnant so he could either come home and work as a labourer or really give the football a go.

Page 4 of 212 FirstFirst ... 234561454104 ... LastLast