147 26.68%
Page 36 of 212 FirstFirst ... 2634353637384686136 ... LastLast

Thread: Stephen Ireland

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts
    I like how the second comment on that news story is an attempt to start an argument about two players who had nothing to do with that article. Ahhhhh, the internet.

The Stephen Ireland story, let's face it, will make for an enjoyable tale when it finally ends & this latest twist is a beaut. I can see now why he prided himself having hair. That's one helluva pointy head!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    With his new haircut his head more closey resembles the pen*s that we all know him to be.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,341 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by youngirish View Post
    With his new haircut his head more closey resembles the pen*s that we all know him to be.
    grow up
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    grow up
    I am grown up in fact judging from the 1979 appendage to your name, which I'm guessing is your birthdate, I'm a bit older than you so here's a tip from one of your elders and betters try to develop a personality and sense of humour before you get any older it can really be beneficial to your life if you manage to pull yourself away from your computer.
    Last edited by youngirish; 07/07/2008 at 4:40 PM.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    anyway, back on topic for a minute He seems to have beefed up a fair bit or is that just the camera. I am hoping he has spent sometime in the gym over the last few weeks as this will be a benefit to him and should he return to us.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by beautifulrock View Post
    should he return to us.
    if he was coming back we would know by now. we should move on

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Very disappointed by a lot of the comments about Stephen Ireland in here. Sad to see how fickle and shallow some Irish fans have become. Must be all of that exposure to our friends across the water, because this sort of immature sh!te is something I for one would associate with that lot.

I for one hope he comes back, we're not a big enough footballing nation (tough for some to believe) to turn our noses up at decent talent like Ireland. Hopefully il Trap will sort things with him one way or another by the time the Qualifiers come about, and for the greater good, hopefully he will be back playing for us. And if he does play up again, he won't be picked. Simple.
    Thursdays are Oriel.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Lol @ referring to England as "them across the water" reminds me of Apres match.
    Anywho I find it funny you are more disappointed by peoples comments than by Daddy Dicks actions and obvious apathetic attitude when it comes to playing for his country

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    91 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paulie_walnuts View Post
    Very disappointed by a lot of the comments about Stephen Ireland in here. Sad to see how fickle and shallow some Irish fans have become. Must be all of that exposure to our friends across the water, because this sort of immature sh!te is something I for one would associate with that lot.
    I suppose it's "that lots" fault Stephen Ireland doesn't want to play for his country?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    192 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Morbo View Post
    Anywho I find it funny you are more disappointed by peoples comments than by Daddy Dicks actions and obvious apathetic attitude when it comes to playing for his country
    It does strike me as a little strange that so many people on this forum are so critical and abusive towards Stephen Ireland. In the not too distant past another Manchester-based player, with a similarly apathetic attitude to playing for Ireland, was treated like Jesus Christ himself when he returned to the squad. No question he was a much more experienced and influential player but there are similarities.
    Last edited by EastTerracer; 09/07/2008 at 1:55 AM.
    "There's man all over for you, blaming on his boots the fault of his feet" - Samuel Beckett, Waiting for Godot

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paulie_walnuts View Post

I for one hope he comes back, we're not a big enough footballing nation (tough for some to believe) to turn our noses up at decent talent like Ireland. Hopefully il Trap will sort things with him one way or another by the time the Qualifiers come about, and for the greater good, hopefully he will be back playing for us. And if he does play up again, he won't be picked. Simple.
    Trap should go down on bended knee for SI and do whatever it takes to get him back on board, and even then if he is unfortunate enough to have his grandad's die on another away trip, we can charter another plane at my (fan's) expense.

If Trap was to hire the pink hummer seen around town to collect him from the airport he may feel more at home.

I fully agree with you we should grovel to the likes of SI at all times because he is a world class player who has won everything that's going and the rest of the squad are only needed to make up the numbers, and they know it's a greater honour to be in SI's company than to play for their country.
    Fair Play died Nov 18th 2009, Stade Francais.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EastTerracer View Post
    It does strike me as a little strange that so many people on this forum are so critical and abusive towards Stephen Ireland. In the not too distant past another Manchester-based player, with a similarly apathetic attitude to playing for Ireland, was treated like Jesus Christ himself when he returned to the squad. No question he was a much more experienced and influential player but there are similarities.
    Not by me he was, I saw it as little more than a PR exercise, you have a point even before the whole Saipan incident Keane did pull out of a lot of Irish squads with questionable injuries and play a full 90 minutes for MU a few days later but people turned a blind eye to it because he was such a good player

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenforever View Post
    Trap should go down on bended knee for SI and do whatever it takes to get him back on board, and even then if he is unfortunate enough to have his grandad's die on another away trip, we can charter another plane at my (fan's) expense.

If Trap was to hire the pink hummer seen around town to collect him from the airport he may feel more at home.

I fully agree with you we should grovel to the likes of SI at all times because he is a world class player who has won everything that's going and the rest of the squad are only needed to make up the numbers, and they know it's a greater honour to be in SI's company than to play for their country.
    I agree. Some of the attitudes on here regarding Stephen Ireland are absolutely ridiculous. You would think it was Maradona we were trying to convince to come back. These comments that pop up every now and then about him being by far our most talented player are obviously coming from people from Cobh or the man himself under an alias. Certainly not from any unbiased source that has watched him play a few times.

S Ireland is an average Premiership player, no more, no less. Yes he may improve as he's still young but until that's the case he shouldn't be let near the squad until he comes grovelling back and begs his teammates, managerial staff and fans for their forgiveness for his past sins. Even if he does drasticallly improve I'd be hesitant to let him back near the squad.

The day we're relying on the likes of Stephen Ireland, a whinging, overrated, lazy midfielder with a tendency to go missing in games and a shocking goals to game ratio for his club, to qualify for a major tournament is the day I paint the wheels of my new landrover pink and change my name by deed poll to Daddy Dick.
    Last edited by youngirish; 09/07/2008 at 1:59 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    He's scored a fair few goals for us though
    I

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Morbo View Post
    Not by me he was, I saw it as little more than a PR exercise, you have a point even before the whole Saipan incident Keane did pull out of a lot of Irish squads with questionable injuries and play a full 90 minutes for MU a few days later but people turned a blind eye to it because he was such a good player
    Not to mention simply not showing up at the airport for a U.S. tour for which he was down to be captain.

But he played for the red team in Manchester so that's alright then.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    176 Posts
    reading this thread is like twisting chewing gum around one's finger.
    i made a comment a while ago where i had read that stephen ireland was regarded as grossly immature and midly retarded.i guess the mildness/heaviness ratio is up for discussion now ?!
    At no time was i trying to denigrate or even mock those of us who have a disability of any kind-physical or mental ,but simply to put the matter of stephen irelands general intelligence up as a marker of his behavouir.
    he appears to be thick as **** . is that a more reasonable explanation ?
    i have a work colleague who is a season ticket holder at eastlands and has been since colin bell was floating down the wing(so he tells me) .
    he has stories about ireland being pretty much like most footballers in england. i.e lacking in the grey matter,but apprently little stevie is seen by his teammates as "not the full shilling" .

final point. i'm not entirely sure he has any allegiance to ireland as a country as i was informed he has spent a large part of his lfe away from this fair isle.
    any i prefer stephen hunt in midfied anyways........
    tally ho
    Shamrock Rovers- Where trophies are won and envy is scarce

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by placid casual View Post

final point. i'm not entirely sure he has any allegiance to ireland as a country as i was informed he has spent a large part of his lfe away from this fair isle.
    tally ho
    Give me Stephen or Andy Reid any day. Failing that I've high hopes for Garvan in central midfield in the near future. At least he appears to want to play for Ireland.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    570 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by placid casual View Post
    reading this thread is like twisting chewing gum around one's finger.
    i made a comment a while ago where i had read that stephen ireland was regarded as grossly immature and midly retarded.i guess the mildness/heaviness ratio is up for discussion now ?!
    At no time was i trying to denigrate or even mock those of us who have a disability of any kind-physical or mental ,but simply to put the matter of stephen irelands general intelligence up as a marker of his behavouir.
    he appears to be thick as **** . is that a more reasonable explanation ?
    i have a work colleague who is a season ticket holder at eastlands and has been since colin bell was floating down the wing(so he tells me) .
    he has stories about ireland being pretty much like most footballers in england. i.e lacking in the grey matter,but apprently little stevie is seen by his teammates as "not the full shilling" .

tally ho
    I dont know about stephen ireland but it is an often repeated myth that talented footballers are stupid when in fact most[not all] are inteligent and bright.Whether this is based on jealousy or not i do not know.You do get the odd idiot that is blessed with a natural talent but i bet that we would all enjoy being as stupid as david beckham.How stupid is he to have amassed the amount of money that he has from a silly football talent.Mind you there does seem to be a question over mr ireland.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    Roy Keane was hardly hailed as a hero for coming back by all and sundry, half of us (myself included) never wanted him back and hardly cheered his name from the rooftops when he did return. But let's not get into that again

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jebus View Post
    Roy Keane was hardly hailed as a hero for coming back by all and sundry, half of us (myself included) never wanted him back and hardly cheered his name from the rooftops when he did return. But let's not get into that again

But do you not think that open the eyes of the FAI and they have moved forward and progressed from then?
    For all the latest League of Ireland news visit www.extratime.ie