Page 176 of 212 FirstFirst ... 76126166174175176177178186 ... LastLast
Results 3,501 to 3,520 of 4233

Thread: Stephen Ireland

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    119 Posts
    The whole saga is getting tiresome at this where everyone is apparently talking to the media and nobody to each other. Ireland is the most technically gifted player we've had in a good 20 years and if he makes himself available under the correct terms then only a fool wouldn't want him back.

His ability is staggering and frankly he's too good for Villa, their players can't keep up with him on the pitch. Robbie has been a revelation for them in no small part because he's the only person in their squad who has the vision and movement to have some small semblance of understanding of Irelands intentions. Far too often this season I've seen Ireland do something brilliant only for Bent/Agbonlahor/Albrighton/ to be a second behind and just never really on the same wavelength.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    Well Murfinator, nobody is doubting SI's talents, but isn't it wonderful that we find ourselves in a position where we don't deem it necessary (worthwhile) to go grovelling to a gifted, yet spiteful prima donna like SI. I'm all for putting out the best possible players on the pitch where appropriate - but in this instance, I think Stevie should stick to his tae kwon do classes this June. Wonder will he still be so eager for the trips to Astana and Torshavn later in the year??!
    Last edited by Scooby Doo; 08/02/2012 at 1:19 AM.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    570 Posts
    Trap picks the Irish squad and the chances of Trap picking Stephen Ireland are slim to none. Thats even if Stephen made it known that he was available for selection. He is just not a Trap player on pretty much everything.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    34 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Murfinator View Post
    The whole saga is getting tiresome at this where everyone is apparently talking to the media and nobody to each other. Ireland is the most technically gifted player we've had in a good 20 years and if he makes himself available under the correct terms then only a fool wouldn't want him back.

His ability is staggering and frankly he's too good for Villa, their players can't keep up with him on the pitch. Robbie has been a revelation for them in no small part because he's the only person in their squad who has the vision and movement to have some small semblance of understanding of Irelands intentions. Far too often this season I've seen Ireland do something brilliant only for Bent/Agbonlahor/Albrighton/ to be a second behind and just never really on the same wavelength.
    he still seems to have a poor attitude and work ethic though. Without that his technique will not allow him to flourish. Even the best players in the world like Messi, Xavi, Rooney etc work their bollock off.
    There is absoluttely no way you could play him in a middle 2 and all our wide players work harder then him

At the moment Irleand is more Taarbat then Messi!!

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kennedmc View Post
    he still seems to have a poor attitude and work ethic though. Without that his technique will not allow him to flourish. Even the best players in the world like Messi, Xavi, Rooney etc work their bollock off.
    There is absoluttely no way you could play him in a middle 2 and all our wide players work harder then him

At the moment Irleand is more Taarbat then Messi!!

Stopped reading after poor work ethic, since he was touted as hardest trainer at city and it was commented upon by Mcleish a few weeks ago.
    Last edited by Manblue; 08/02/2012 at 3:01 PM.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    34 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Manblue View Post
    Stopped reading after poor work ethic, since he was touted as hardest trainer at city and it was commented upon by Mcleish a few weeks ago.
    I never mentioned his training and I only care how he performs in games.

He is coasting around during games at the moment when he has to do the dirty work off the ball

International Prospect tricky_colour's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    More chance of Ian Paisley going to the Popes birthday party.

8. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    I never mentioned his training and I only care how he performs in games.

He is coasting around during games at the moment when he has to do the dirty work off the ball

haha have you actually watched any games, excluding the newcastle game where he picked up a knock he was in the top five players on the pitch (both teams) for ground covered in the two games prior iirc,(dont know why Espn show that stat but anyway) wouldnt call it coasting along but anyway...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    51 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by irishfan86 View Post
    Sounds like made up stuff to me. He'd have to be a designated player, but he's not well-known enough in the U.S. to really justify that from a marketing perspective.

There would be no issue with the Red Bulls being able to afford him if they wanted, but it just doesn't seem like a good trade off in terms of value for money.

My suspicion is that someone from the Red Bulls saw him play and recommended him without knowing his wage history (specifically at Man City), so it's possible there was an interest at some point but if it ever came to a negotiation I'd imagine it would end fairly quickly.
    You do know the coach of RB was assistant to Sven Erickson when he was at Man City?
    "Jacques Santini...will be greeted in every dugout of the country by "one-nil, one-nil" - Clive Tyldsley, 89th minute of France-England June 13, 2004.
    "Ooooohhhh Nooooooo" Bobby Robson 91st minute.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by French Toasht View Post
    Last time I made a post on here about Stephen Ireland I was accused of being Stephen Ireland in disguise. I assure you I am not Stephen Ireland but just someone who has remained objective and not bought into tabloid sensationalism about a man I have never met.
    Manblue is Stephen Ireland in (a very bad) disguise.

As for the man himself. Let's wait and see if he still wants to come back into the squad for the away trip to Kazhastan in September if we get a few dropouts.
    Last edited by youngirish; 08/02/2012 at 9:03 PM.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    34 Posts
    haha have you actually watched any games, excluding the newcastle game where he picked up a knock he was in the top five players on the pitch (both teams) for ground covered in the two games prior iirc,(dont know why Espn show that stat but anyway) wouldnt call it coasting along but anyway...
    most of those yards are probably him breaking forward at the wrong time!

The amount of time he gets caught out of position by committing himself to the ball at the wrong time (like a 10 year old running after the ball in a school ground) is embarrassing. As for his attempt to stop the cross going in against Newcastle..

There is no doubt Ireland has outstanding technique and very good vision with the ball at his feet, however, he also has some serious flaws in his game that he either does not want to admit to or maybe can't get rid of.

At the moment he is like half a player but as a midfielder you have to do more. Either that or play him further up the switch.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    403 Posts
    Has he even said himself he would come back or is it only the GF or wife or whatever she is? I seem to recall his own father giving wrong info a few years back.... Why get excited if it is only conjecture at this point.
    No Somos muchos pero estamos locos.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    No indication from Ireland himself. Just talk from his fiancée.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    403 Posts
    I think it is actually a wife now DI.
    No Somos muchos pero estamos locos.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    The most recent article in the Birmingham Post refers to her as his fiancée. Just basing it on that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    285 Posts
    Lee Carsley reckons Trapattoni should pick him for the Euros (along with McClean)

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/s...ns-183243.html
    "We lost because we didn't win"- Ronaldo

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    I see that article from the Irish Examiner describes Jessica Lawlor as Ireland's wife. Confusion reigns.

19. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    most of those yards are probably him breaking forward at the wrong time!

The amount of time he gets caught out of position by committing himself to the ball at the wrong time (like a 10 year old running after the ball in a school ground) is embarrassing. As for his attempt to stop the cross going in against Newcastle..

There is no doubt Ireland has outstanding technique and very good vision with the ball at his feet, however, he also has some serious flaws in his game that he either does not want to admit to or maybe can't get rid of.

At the moment he is like half a player but as a midfielder you have to do more. Either that or play him further up the switch.

Why dont you give us some examples regarding these wrong times, as in make a statement and back it up regarding this out of position stuff rather than your "throw away" comments?

Regarding the cross against Newcastle, he should of made a better attempt to block it but if you look guthrie passed (by hand) the throw on and remained unmarked as hutton didnt step out (error 1) keane or bent never moved across to pick up the spare men (error 2) this left basically a 3 on one of Santon, Guthrie and Gutierrez, he nicked the ball first but the cross still went into the box, granted he may of got a block on it, but considering it travelled 40 yards and was unopposed by the DEFENSE, I wouldnt lay all the blame with him,

Regarding the serious flaws..most players do and he was played further up the pitch until keane came in but obviously mcleish feels he is good enough to accomodate him on the right, probably not his position of choice.

PS hes either coasting around or making stupid runs...which is it??
    Last edited by Manblue; 09/02/2012 at 12:51 PM.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Crosby87 View Post
    I think it is actually a wife now DI.
    As FT mentioned earlier, some people just get bogged down in irrelevant details about him then and lifestye choices.....football forum!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    As FT mentioned earlier, some people just get bogged down in irrelevant details about him then and lifestye choices.....football forum!
    FT was critical of those passing moral judgment on the "irrelevant details" and his lifestyle choices. He was correct to do so.