147 26.68%
Page 16 of 212 FirstFirst ... 614151617182666116 ... LastLast

Thread: Stephen Ireland

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,695 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ciaran View Post
    Some people are being very insensitive with "boo hoo" comments, this is 2008,
    okay, let me get this straight - you want people to feel sorry for Stephen fckin Ireland and yet you want David Langin to go and shiite?

you just keep getting better and better.
    I like high energy football. A little bit rock and roll. Many finishes instead of waiting for the perfect one.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,376 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mypost View Post

He walked, he alone should face the consequences of never been picked again.

20 years ago, David O'Leary refused to travel to Iceland. Charlton banned him from the squad for 2.5 years. We coped and blossomed. As we will without this bloke.
    20 years ago, we had McGrath, McCarthy, Moran, etc
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    etc.?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,376 Posts
    My point was that, even with a player of the quality of O'Leary banished from the squad, the squad was still filled with top quality replacements.
    After Andy Reid, Ireland is probably our most creative/attacking central midfielder, and I don't think we can afford to lose him from the squad.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    My point was that, even with a player of the quality of O'Leary banished from the squad, the squad was still filled with top quality replacements.
    After Andy Reid, Ireland is probably our most creative/attacking central midfielder, and I don't think we can afford to lose him from the squad.
    At the sake of losing respect for ourselves? And i ask that knowing you as one of the genuine good Ireland supporters. He is a talent no doubt, but there is only so much one can take, and if his inclusion is a risk to the squad?
    Here they come! It’s the charge of the “Thanks” Brigade!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    176 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979
    He wasn't banned because of the quality of the squad, he was banned for not turning up at an Ireland end of season get-together to go on holidays. He was only allowed back as a result of a severe injury crisis in the squad when going to Spain 2.5 years later.

Going on holidays, and lieing about the state of grandparents are two completely different things. Even in a severe injury crisis, I would prefer LOI players to play for us over him. They mightn't have the same ability, but they won't lie and lie and lie again, when on international duty.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,376 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom View Post
    At the sake of losing respect for ourselves? And i ask that knowing you as one of the genuine good Ireland supporters. He is a talent no doubt, but there is only so much one can take, and if his inclusion is a risk to the squad?
    I guess Ireland's inclusion in the squad (if he does want to be in the squad) will come down to a judgment call between his value as a player vs any detriment he could bring to the squad.
    After Ireland, we'd be choosing between Stephen Quinn and Stephen McPhail as a creative, attacking central midfielder. McPhail has been out of the international scene for some time, and I don't think Quinn is ready for senior international football just yet. He still has plenty of time left to learn in the U-21's.
    If you want a comparison, consider than Paul Gascoigne was an England regular, despite the fact that everyone knew he wasn't coping with the pressure off the pitch. I suppose Gazza wasn't seen as divisive in the squad, whereas if Ireland's presence is then he should be dropped.
    Last edited by tetsujin1979; 15/04/2008 at 10:29 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,376 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mypost View Post
    He wasn't banned because of the quality of the squad, he was banned for not turning up at an Ireland end of season get-together to go on holidays. He was only allowed back as a result of a severe injury crisis in the squad when going to Spain 2.5 years later.
    Who said anything about him getting banned because of the quality of the squad?
    Your point was that the team blossomed, despite losing a player of the quality of O'Leary.
    My point was that we had the likes of McCarthy, Moran, McGrath, Lawrenson to play at centre half and O'Leary was easily replaced.
    Right now we are suffering for a lack of creativity in centre midfield. Andy Reid is first choice for the playmaker role in the middle of the park, but if he gets injured or suspended then there are few players of his quality available to us. Stephen Ireland is probably the best replacement, and after him (as I stated above) we're looking at the likes of McPhail and Quinn.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    176 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979
    If you want a comparison, consider than Paul Gascoigne was an England regular, despite the fact that everyone knew he wasn't coping with the pressure off the pitch. I suppose Gazza wasn't seen as divisive in the squad, whereas if Ireland's presence is then he should be dropped.
    The difference been that Gazza never walked out on his country, by lieing about his personal life.

A stand must be taken against Stephen Ireland. If his behaviour is to be condoned, then what chance of other players doing the same?? It's called discipline, so either Trap instills it in the squad, or we become a laughing stock.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Maybe its just me but id be more excited about an Irish team that had McGeady and A Reid playing rather than Ireland. Yes they have there flaws but they dont go missing in games. Ireland has a habit of simply disapearing for long times in games and at international level you simply cant carry a player like that. He was woeful against Sunderland at the weekend(A. Reid as much more impressive). So many times when i have seen City Ireland seems to have a strange attitude. he rarely looks motivated. Yes he is a prospect but that is all he is. I fully expect that he wont be a first teamer for City next year. I he decides to retire then so be it, we will survive just fine

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by carloz View Post
    Maybe its just me but id be more excited about an Irish team that had McGeady and A Reid playing rather than Ireland. Yes they have there flaws but they dont go missing in games. Ireland has a habit of simply disapearing for long times in games and at international level you simply cant carry a player like that. He was woeful against Sunderland at the weekend(A. Reid as much more impressive). So many times when i have seen City Ireland seems to have a strange attitude. he rarely looks motivated. Yes he is a prospect but that is all he is. I fully expect that he wont be a first teamer for City next year. I he decides to retire then so be it, we will survive just fine
    100% agree. He has potential that's all. I wouldn't be surprised to see him struggle to maintain a first team place at city after Sven brings in a few players in the summer. Some people here seem to think he's the next Platini.

Ask yourselves this if he actually does develop into a top class player how much of a d*ckhead is he going to be then if he's acting like this when he's achieved nothing in football thus far?

Give him the boot. It might send a message to some of the others in the squad that the new regime mean business and won't tolerate this sort of unprofessional, amateurish conduct that we've become accustomed to for quite some time now in the Ireland setup.

Let him retire, I can't see him being a deciding factor in our qualification bid anyway. Let Garvan take his place in the squad and see how he gets on in a few friendlies.
    Last edited by youngirish; 15/04/2008 at 11:18 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by carloz View Post
    Joe Hart was doing 'teammates' on Soccer AM. Asked who the most ckillful player was at Cuty, he quickly answered Stephen Ireland.
    That's the 2nd Man City player to say that. I think it shows how mature he is on the pitch that he'd rather keep possession at all times than trying to do too much or showboating. He's gonna have one brilliant football brain by time he's at his peak. Himself and Andy Reid could pass teams off the park. Stephen Reid looks to be up to it too. If those 3 players ensured we could dominate possession against teams, the real creativity can come from Duff, McGeady and Keane.

I'd actually like to see the Sunderland game again now. No way was Ireland woeful. Woeful for Ireland would be hiding and regularly losing possession. He was quick thinking, he was at least as involved Petrov and Elano while he was on (City had 60% possession) and he got himself into the box a lot.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    26 Posts
    I think we can cope without Steven Ireland and feel we should not pick him for the next few squads, let him think about his future properly whilst we get on with ours. He has been in poor form recently and I don't even think he's currently good enough to start for us.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by livehead1 View Post
    I think we can cope without Steven Ireland and feel we should not pick him for the next few squads, let him think about his future properly whilst we get on with ours. He has been in poor form recently and I don't even think he's currently good enough to start for us.
    I dont think you see many of the Irish games.... 6 caps 4 goals.... Needs must..

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Shedender81 View Post
    I dont think you see many of the Irish games.... 6 caps 4 goals.... Needs must..
    That stat could be rolled off the tongue by anyone who has never watched him play in their life. So far for us, Stephen Ireland has been poor in most of the games he has played for us. His goalscoring record has been excellent for us but he has done little else to prove that he is worthy of a place in the starting eleven. It's no good if he scores and then goes missing for the other 89 minutes. If a striker were to do that then he could be forgiven but a midfielder should always be trying to impose himself on games and Ireland hasn't done that for us consistently enough. Judging by his last performance in the shirt he won't be missed.
    My concerns are global. I reject absolutely revenge, aggression, and retaliation. The foundation of such a method, is love. I love you Sheriff Truman.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    26 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Shedender81 View Post
    So by the same token you would drop Robbie Keane due to a poor recent goalscoring record?...I've seen all the games that he is played in; don't make such rash assumptions. For all the goals he has scored for us, he goes missing too often and doesn't have the physical attributes to control a game as a central midfielder, and would potentially have an unsettling and distracting effect on the squad as a whole.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts
    Trapp doesn't tolerate fools lightly.

I'd consider Stephen Ireland on his final chance. I'd welcome a meeting with Trapp and let Trapp make up his own mind. Trapp is no fool and if Ireland continued to be divisive,troublesome or lacking commitment - he'll be dealt with swiftly.

The slates clean with a new manager - I'd trust the new Management Team to make the call as to whether Stephen Ireland is worth the bother.
    Quoting years at random since 1975

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    I don't care how good a player is, this kind of behaviour should not be tolerated. He's been called up to the squad so lets see if he turns up. If not then that's it with this guy as far as I'm concerned. Just one thing though, I will GUARANTEE that even if he does come back this time, this is not the last we will hear of him taking the p*ss with regard to playing for his country.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Paulie View Post
    .... I will GUARANTEE that even if he does come back this time, this is not the last we will hear of him taking the p*ss with regard to playing for his country.
    Unfortunately couldn't rule anything out with Stephen Ireland - but I think it will be a case of anymore acting the wise-guy and he won't be given another opportunity to "shame the family".
    Quoting years at random since 1975

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Ireland future in doubt

April 15, 2008

A morning tabloid report has suggested that Manchester City midfielder Stephen Ireland is not interested in returning to the Irish squad, even though assistant manager Liam Brady is set to have talks with the 21-year-old in the coming weeks.

Ireland has had his fair share of problems with international football and has had much publicised run-ins with Brian Kerr at underage level and more recently caretaker boss Don Givens.

The paper suggests that Ireland has told pals that he does not miss playing international football and following the incident over ‘grannygate’, a lot of the Irish support has turned against him.

I correctly suggested this guy was a plank all those months ago when he lied about not one but both of his grandmother's dying and a lot (not all) of the usual muppets here stuck by him and offered excuse after pitiful excuse for his behaviour. I don't for a second believe his miscarriage story either considering the lies that has preceeded and followed it.

Let it go now. You were wrong. The guy's a severe ar*e. Hope to never see him in an Ireland jersey again and will let my displeasure be heard if I do and I'm at the game.
    Last edited by youngirish; 16/04/2008 at 9:59 AM.