Page 12 of 212 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262112 ... LastLast

Thread: Stephen Ireland

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ciaran View Post
    I've always thought of Ireland as somewhat like Arteta. At just 21 being a first team player is impressive, with a bit of confidence he's going to be stunning when he's older.

With or without the wig?Anyway i think you are on the wrong forum here with that sugestion.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    I've always thought of Ireland as somewhat like Arteta. At just 21 being a first team player is impressive, with a bit of confidence he's going to be stunning when he's older.
    I've always thought of Ireland as somewhat like McPhail. At just 21 being a first team player is impressive, with a bit of confidence he's going to be an even bigger arsehole when he's older.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    17 Posts
    ireland almost COMPLETELY made city's first goal yesterday, never mind scored it. he hit two intelligent passes in the build-up and did what every manager tells you: follow up play you started. he got his just reward even if it was a jammy strike.
    zombie/thread killer..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    It was a miss hit from 3 yards in an offside position, not exactly "Schoolboys Own" stuff.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    I saw about 30 mins including the goal and while the finish wasn't that hard he did well to be in a good position.

I called him Lampard-lite a while back and I stick by it. He has a great knack of arriving late in goalscoring positions from a midfield position, very difficult to be picked up. He's actually more creative than Lampard, he has good vision and has a good array of defence opening passes. However, the Lampard comparison is accurate in that his attacking threat is reliant on others having got a grip on midfield on his behalf. Ireland's best role is a free role, nominally behind two forwards in my opinion.

On the assumption this guy actually wants to play for us(!) I'm sure Trap will be thinking at some stage whether to do away with the width we've depended on for ages in place of a more robust midfield and a floater between midfield and attack.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    On the assumption this guy actually wants to play for us(!) I'm sure Trap will be thinking at some stage whether to do away with the width we've depended on for ages in place of a more robust midfield and a floater between midfield and attack.

That's something I'd like to see us at least try. Ireland would be ideal in that spot.
    Top Breeders recommend drinkfeckarse....

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by drinkfeckarse View Post
    That's something I'd like to see us at least try. Ireland would be ideal in that spot.
    He played in that position for part of the Wales game and for the Slovakia home game. I thought he did quite well there for us. It's almost certainly his best position for us.
    My concerns are global. I reject absolutely revenge, aggression, and retaliation. The foundation of such a method, is love. I love you Sheriff Truman.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    I called him Lampard-lite a while back and I stick by it.
    I agree Stutts. Lampard without the shooting ability, goals or even his negligible ability to get stuck in every now and then.

Oh yeah and the hair.

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    848 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by youngirish View Post
    I agree Stutts. Lampard without the shooting ability, goals or even his negligible ability to get stuck in every now and then.

Oh yeah and the hair.
    Hes got a good goal scoring record for the Irish team

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    17 Posts
    yes i think the comparison is valid for his goal-taking/timing as stuttgart did mention. but lampard and perhaps tim cahill are more alike. good players at what they do, undoubtedly, though i believe ireland has at least thrice the playmaking vision of either. he's still quite young remember!
    zombie/thread killer..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    Not sure if this has been posted before, from the Daily Mail

http://img.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/200...ge_800x459.jpg

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by endabob1 View Post
    Not sure if this has been posted before, from the Daily Mail

http://img.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/200...ge_800x459.jpg
    Aye. it has
    I think I should the parachute, because I'm great.

In fact, I think I should get both parachutes, in case one doesn't work.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    17 Posts
    where's roy keane's flash ride with ROY-1 license plate?! young footballer in pimped car shock... developing...
    zombie/thread killer..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Cant agree with this. Johnson has looked much more impressive for City this season and he is younger. I see little in Ireland to get me too excited. He simply completly disapears in almost every game he plays. He cant continue to do this and has to stand up and be counted more often. He wouldn't exactly be the kind of player i would want in the team on a wet night in Montenegro or Georgia either.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by carloz View Post
    Cant agree with this. Johnson has looked much more impressive for City this season and he is younger. I see little in Ireland to get me too excited. He simply completly disapears in almost every game he plays. He cant continue to do this and has to stand up and be counted more often. He wouldn't exactly be the kind of player i would want in the team on a wet night in Montenegro or Georgia either.
    I agree with most of what you're saying, but I also see promise in Ireland. Whilst he does disappear for a lot of most games that I've seen him play, this happens with a lot of players his age. In time, with the right attitude and coaching I hope this will change. However, if it doesn't then he will end up as a very mediocre player.
    My concerns are global. I reject absolutely revenge, aggression, and retaliation. The foundation of such a method, is love. I love you Sheriff Truman.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    51 Posts
    Seriously, Trappatoni should not have to begging this idiot to come back to the team. F-k him:

Ireland ignores Eriksson's advice and prepares to quit Republic

Daniel Taylor
    Saturday April 12, 2008
    The Guardian

The unpredictable world of Stephen Ireland could take another twist after it emerged that the most complex Irish footballer since Roy Keane is giving strong consideration to retiring from international football at the age of 21.
    Giovanni Trapattoni, the incoming Republic manager, intends to visit the player to try to talk him into changing his mind. Sven-Goran Eriksson, his Manchester City manager, has also made strenuous efforts, but the player is said to be underwhelmed by his inclusion in Trapattoni's provisional 40-man squad for a training camp in Portugal next month.

Ireland is aware of the clamour in his home country for him to return to a team that failed to qualify for the European Championships. He is willing to speak to Trapattoni, however, and has not definitively ruled out going back. At present, however, he believes the cons outweigh the pros and, critically, has not missed international football since making himself unavailable after being caught concocting an elaborate web of lies to get out of playing in the Euro 2008 qualifier in the Czech Republic last September.
    Since then, he has resisted any attempts to bring him back. "I hope Trapattoni will come here to speak to Stephen," Eriksson said yesterday.

Yet Steve Staunton, Trapattoni's predecessor, failed to persuade him it was the right thing to do. Richard Dunne, the City captain and Republic international, has also tried in vain.

Ireland's thinking will dismay Irish fans, many of whom cannot understand his reasons. Part of it is embarrassment about past events, but Ireland is also known to feel that he has never fitted in - a legacy, perhaps, of his fall-out with Brian Kerr during his time with the under-18s.

The paradox is that Ireland is said to be uncomfortable with the attention. Yet he celebrated one goal earlier this season by pulling down his shorts to reveal Lycra Superman pants and he drives a black Range Rover with pink wheel trims.
    http://football.guardian.co.uk/News_...src=rss&feed=5
    "Jacques Santini...will be greeted in every dugout of the country by "one-nil, one-nil" - Clive Tyldsley, 89th minute of France-England June 13, 2004.
    "Ooooohhhh Nooooooo" Bobby Robson 91st minute.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    That boy needs to grow up.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    433 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Maroon 7 View Post
    That boy needs to grow up.
    Explains it all really.
    Cumann Peile Dún Dealgan - Champions 2015 (too many accolades to be typing)

Termonbarry Athletic TID!

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    What's the source for most of that news? Only Sven was quoted,
    "I hope Trapattoni will come here to speak to Stephen,",
    Sven is a man of few words.
    But those words are anathema to most Irish fans.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    I he doesnt want to play for us, which i believe is the case deep down, then let him **** off.
    Id even have my worries if he did come back because its obvious his heart isnt in it.
    Personally i wouldnt mind having him back but i dont think its as big a deal s people think. I really dont think he is the player he cracked up to be