Page 109 of 212 FirstFirst ... 95999107108109110111119159209 ... LastLast
Results 2,161 to 2,180 of 4233

Thread: Stephen Ireland

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    I suspect with the noises that have been emanating from his camp (through his father) and from Trapattoni we'll probably see him back for our next set of qualifiers. I can't imagine he would agree to meet Trap just to reiterate again that he's not coming back. Why waste the man's time agreeing to the meeting in the first place when he could easily tell him that over the phone? Saying that it's impossible to predict what's going on in Superman's head. His train of thought doesn't seem to adhere to any logical pattern.

Hopefully if he does decide to come back he doesn't cause anymore disruption. We could do without a repeat of Saipan if we make it to South Africa.
    Last edited by youngirish; 26/06/2009 at 11:25 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    80 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by livehead1 View Post
    Dont be a pedantic c*nt; you know what I'm saying makes sense. If this was Richard Dunne everyone would be saying fair play, and bigging him up.
    Not being pedantic and indeed I applaud Ireland for putting in the extra effort that seems to have helped him become a better player last season . I'm just saying that I'm sure CRonaldo has put in similar types of effort over the years and if he does spend his Summers on holiday then surely he is entitled to

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    50 Posts
    Anyone see Pat Dolan's column in the Star this morning? He was saying that if you speak to anyone "in the know in England" its a foregone conclusion that Stephen Ireland will be in the Ireland squads for our August friendlies but its being kept quiet so they can use it to boost ticket sales closer to the games....I wonder who he's speaking to thats so "in the know"

On the subject of giving up his holidays to work out I reckon Ireland will regret this especially as he won't be getting much of a holiday next year, what with us being at the wordl cup and all!
    You show me a good loser and I'll show you a loser - Vince Lombardi

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    49 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Wangball View Post
    Anyone see Pat Dolan's column in the Star this morning? He was saying that if you speak to anyone "in the know in England" its a foregone conclusion that Stephen Ireland will be in the Ireland squads for our August friendlies but its being kept quiet so they can use it to boost ticket sales closer to the games....I wonder who he's speaking to thats so "in the know"

On the subject of giving up his holidays to work out I reckon Ireland will regret this especially as he won't be getting much of a holiday next year, what with us being at the wordl cup and all!
    pat dolan

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts

Sounds a bit ridiculous. Surely the FAI will sell just as many tickets if they declared Ireland was coming back tomorrow instead of 3 or 4 weeks down the line. They would then have 5 weeks to build up and hype his return in the media.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    399 Posts
    So Pat Dolan is not something we can take seriously? Clue me in here.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    161 Posts

"In the know" usually means the bloke at the end of the bar that all the regulars avoid like the plague.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Dolan knows about as much if not a whole lot less than anyone on this site, the only one that knows whats going on in Irelands mind is himself...if even

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    In fairness I think pretty much everyone would welcome Stephen Ireland back to the squad. I think he would fit perfectly into Trapitoni's plans, either on the wings or even as a second striker with Robbie Keane, i could see him being equally effective in both positions, perhaps given a free role to drop back into midfield to collect the ball, leaving keane up front alone and doyle on the bench as an impact sub.

His biggest attributes are his running off the ball, supporting play all the way from box to box on the break, his excellent finishing and passing ability are a joy to watch and i think he would be THE link in midfield that would make the team tick

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    536 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SallyMan View Post
    In fairness I think pretty much everyone would welcome Stephen Ireland back to the squad. I think he would fit perfectly into Trapitoni's plans, either on the wings or even as a second striker with Robbie Keane, i could see him being equally effective in both positions, perhaps given a free role to drop back into midfield to collect the ball, leaving keane up front alone and doyle on the bench as an impact sub.

His biggest attributes are his running off the ball, supporting play all the way from box to box on the break, his excellent finishing and passing ability are a joy to watch and i think he would be THE link in midfield that would make the team tick
    if its doyle he is to replace then no thanks. doyles attitude is exactly what we want from our players

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    In fairness I think pretty much everyone would welcome Stephen Ireland back to the squad. .....
    Doesn't include me
    Honest! I am not a secret Tim nor a closet Sham - I really am a Seagull.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Superhoops View Post
    Doesn't include me
    We'll judging by your location I think it's fair to say you're pretty biased on these matters. Don't think you'd be alone in not welcoming him back though, regardless of the location.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jbyrne View Post
    if its doyle he is to replace then no thanks. doyles attitude is exactly what we want from our players

Doyle will be lucky to win his place instead of Caleb Folan, who has played exceptionally well in the few games he has played a part in. His hold up play, good use of the ball, and provides a good threat from high balls. If he continues with the same level of performance i cant see him being replaced to easily, Doyle is in the same mould except Folan seems to be much better at finding players to setup attacks.

On a side note, attitude is great to have, but we have plenty of it. Kilbane has a great attitude but i think id rather someone with greater talent filling that left back position. He has been a great servant but i think we need to try Kelly or Foley out either at right back and switch John O'Shea, or else try them at left back altogether.

Anyone that would like to turn down Stephen Ireland because of what has happened in the last year or two has lost their marbles. He has shown he has the right attitude at club level by becoming the young player of the year, i think there is obviously something that went on when he was in the squad which caused him to leave, and since i dont know the whole story its hard to apportion blame, but i doubt it is all on one side.

I can see real competition for places in the irish set up in the next year or so. You have Hunt, Duff, McGeady fighting it out for the wings, Keane, Doyle, Folan fighting it out for the two striking positions, about ten players can fill in at central midfield, its really only our defence that needs to be strenghtened considerably. If we could get a decent left back i think we would have a pretty decent team.
    Last edited by SallyMan; 30/06/2009 at 1:23 PM.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post
    We'll judging by your location I think it's fair to say you're pretty biased on these matters. Don't think you'd be alone in not welcoming him back though, regardless of the location.

well? is the little b****x coming back or what?

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts
    Doyle will be lucky to win his place instead of Caleb Folan, who has played exceptionally well in the few games he has played a part in. His hold up play, good use of the ball, and provides a good threat from high balls. If he continues with the same level of performance i cant see him being replaced to easily, Doyle is in the same mould except Folan seems to be much better at finding players to setup attacks.

On a side note, attitude is great to have, but we have plenty of it. Kilbane has a great attitude but i think id rather someone with greater talent filling that left back position. He has been a great servant but i think we need to try Kelly or Foley out either at right back and switch John O'Shea, or else try them at left back altogether.

Anyone that would like to turn down Stephen Ireland because of what has happened in the last year or two has lost their marbles. He has shown he has the right attitude at club level by becoming the young player of the year, i think there is obviously something that went on when he was in the squad which caused him to leave, and since i dont know the whole story its hard to apportion blame, but i doubt it is all on one side.

I can see real competition for places in the irish set up in the next year or so. You have Hunt, Duff, McGeady fighting it out for the wings, Keane, Doyle, Folan fighting it out for the two striking positions, about ten players can fill in at central midfield, its really only our defence that needs to be strenghtened considerably. If we could get a decent left back i think we would have a pretty decent team.
    Have to say I wouldn't share your assessment of the central midfield.

Stephen Reid has been sorely missed and his track record for remaining injury free is dismal (through no fault of his own).

Without Reid there, I'd still hold major reservations about the quality we have at our disposal there.
    Quoting years at random since 1975

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    99 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post
    Exactly. Just imagine to yourself that Stephen Ireland was born in say Manchester for example, and he was a 'placca Paddy'. 80% of the country would tell him to f*ckoff and don't even bother trying to get back onto the team. Yet when he's from Cork (Or any county for that matter) , there seems to be a big change in attitude towards him.

Personally it's a matter of principle. I would be more than happy to see Stephen Ireland to stay well away from the Irish soccer team.
    You've got no fans.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts

I also wouldn't share your assessment of Folan. Big and strong and can make a nuisance of himself but he has little else going for him. Did ok in the two appearances against Italy and Bulgaria but was by no means exceptional. To say he should be considered for a start instead of Doyle is nonsense imo who is a far superior player. Folan will struggle to hold down a place for himself in any team in the Premiership (as he did in a very poor Hull side last season). He'll probably have to drop down a division to get a regular starting berth next year and even then he won't set the world alight in the Championship.

Leon Best is a better long term option for the big man/little man striker combination role if we want to go down that route or possibly Cillian Sheridan if he continues to improve over the next season or two.

In any case that tactic is only useful in International football when used sparingly unless you have a top quality target man like Kohler that has other valuable attributes in his game (Kohler was also a top class goal poacher and finisher and not just a striker for someone more talented to play off).
    Last edited by youngirish; 30/06/2009 at 1:54 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts

I agree with most of this but, like Wolfie, wouldn't be quite as content with the centre midfield. The fact that there is competition for places there is only down to the fact that they are all very limited in what they can do. Obviously Stephen Reid could change this big time, not to mention the other fella!!

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    144 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Crosby87 View Post
    So Pat Dolan is not something we can take seriously? Clue me in here.
    Can we take Pat seriously?
    No
    "Must you tell me all your secrets when it's hard enough to love you knowing nothing."

http://worddok.blogspot.com

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,681 Posts
    Despite nearly every (or is it 100% every?) goal we have conceded this campaign being from the full back position, I think the biggest weakness the team has is in central midfield. They really find it hard to impose themselves on a game and take charge. That said, I think Trap was quick to recognise this and I've been really impressed how midfield has shaped up when they don't have the ball. Although it can be nerve racking to be without possession for long periods it's hard to deny that the result is effective. I noticed the same with the USA in the Confederations Cup.

At full back, it's simple errors or lack of concentration that has been the main failing, though clearly the better the players you have the less likely such errors are.

Put it this way: if I could have a top class full back or a top class athletic CM right now, I'd go for the latter. No matter how much I rtae him I'm afraid I can only ascribe minimal probabilty to Steven Reid staying fit long enough to influence this team. I hope I'm wrong.

A top class left-back AND a top class CM would be a dream outcome! I don't think much else is needed tbh.

I think Folan's recent performances have been really encouraging. I think Doyle offers more but Folan's in-your-face approach with no mean ability to lay the ball off well is a useful option. I can see Doyle & Folan even partnering each other, with Robbie dropping deeper as a Plan B in the next few games.
    Last edited by Stuttgart88; 30/06/2009 at 2:40 PM.