Page 101 of 212 FirstFirst ... 519199100101102103111151201 ... LastLast
Results 2,001 to 2,020 of 4233

Thread: Stephen Ireland

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    848 Posts
    if he comes back and plays well in his first game everyone will move on and this time next year it will all be forgotten about.Nobody will boo him if he scores the winner against Italy.
    Its really not that complicated!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    I woudl like to give the Ireland fans more credit and think that some of us look beyond a goal. I certainlyl do with Jason McAteer and know he went missing against Holland at home and was the reason that Gary Kelly was sent off.
    In Trap we trust

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    848 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilMcD View Post
    I woudl like to give the Ireland fans more credit and think that some of us look beyond a goal. I certainlyl do with Jason McAteer and know he went missing against Holland at home and was the reason that Gary Kelly was sent off.
    My point really is that if he comes back and plays well his absense over that last while wont be an issue. He mightnt ever be anyones favorite player but people will shout and cheer for him the same as any other lad that wears the shirt

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Hunt seems to welcome him back really. Just heard his comments on newstalk and all he says is that he would have to play in the qualifiers but then says that its up to the manager really and that whatever happens he will just get his head down and play.
    In Trap we trust

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    848 Posts
    Hunt seems to welcome him back really. Just heard his comments on newstalk and all he says is that he would have to play in the qualifiers but then says that its up to the manager really and that whatever happens he will just get his head down and play.
    As he should say, its the managers job to pick the players and if Trap feels that he could bring Ireland back into the set up without causing disruption then I trust him to do that

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I really would like to see SI back in the team. But I have a feeling that he is not going to be the most dependable of people. I would imagine a fall out in the future because he doesnt bother to turn up to a match for some ridiculus reason. I really feel he will end up casuing more hassle. None the less he is worth taking a chance on. Can see him slotting into right midfield, gives a bit of added pressure for the other wingers, Duff included. I dont htink SI would be a candidate for CM in Traps system. Definately no the type Trap likes in their I feel.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    That's the problem with Hunt - he should play with his head up more!

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    ah come on, Gary Kelly was a liability right from the start in that game. We actually played better with ten.

Rest of the point taken though.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    It's the first time I heard that conspiracy about Jason, I feel like I know nothing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    ah come on, Gary Kelly was a liability right from the start in that game. We actually played better with ten.

Rest of the point taken though.
    Oh Kelly had a nightmare but part of that was to do with no protection from McAteer that day. Both of them did not have a good game.
    In Trap we trust

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

SI

So we don't want back , the best player Ireland has at the moment, really?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    244 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mise Le Mas View Post
    So we don't want back , the best player Ireland has at the moment, really?
    I'd say the opinion is that the majority want him back, but not through begging.

We want him back only if it's on Trap's terms, and in a way that disrupts the squad as a little as possible, or not at all.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts
    Oh Kelly had a nightmare but part of that was to do with no protection from McAteer that day. Both of them did not have a good game.
    Not sure that means we should be booing McAteer just for a poor game. He did pop up to score the winner so it wasn't all bad. Totally different issue with Ireland.
    There is no such thing as a miracle cure, a free lunch or a humble opinion.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    eh did i mention booing.
    In Trap we trust

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts
    I'd say the opinion is that the majority want him back, but not through begging.

We want him back only if it's on Trap's terms, and in a way that disrupts the squad as a little as possible, or not at all.
    Bingo.

Aside from his walking away, SI has hurt us big time by constantly sniping in the press. One week he wants to play under certain circumstances, then he doesn't want to play, the next no-one has ever rang him even though we all know he was contacted by the managment. Stephen Ireland is at fault for this mess, big time. He has been a complete pr**k, it's hurt our team's build up to games, as well as clearly trying to undermine a very succesfull manager. If he was any other player, I'd tell him to go f**k himself, he cried off for a pathetic reason (I dont mean missing the Slovakian game when the supposed miscarriage happen, but after that game and especially after a change in manager there is no good reason why he cant return), and even then didn't have the grace to go quietly, instead he's made a circus of our national team by lying about his situation for no reason. A simple statement at the start of the campaign would have sufficed, instead of him lying to the press about who he has talked to, and qualifying every statement he makes with "ah, but never say never, maybe I will come back one day". It is, to put it simply, pathetic.

Then again, he isn't any other player.

We need him, he would straight away turn out to be one of our best current players, could turn out to be an all time great Irish player. But his crime has been in international football terms; a massive one. As per the above, it's not just his crying off in the first place, it's as much his behaviour afterwards. If he comes back it must be under Trap's terms. He wont like doing it, but Stephen Ireland must face the media and explain himself and give a mea culpa. The fact is, if he doesn't then going in to massive games against Cyprus, Italy and Montengro we'll have to listen to hacks speculate, guess and bullsh*t about why he quit, why he returned, and what the reaction is within the squad.

Stephen Ireland was wrong. But we need him back. If he comes back without an apology he could seriously mess up our approach to the final games, and drastically change the mood within the camp at a vital, vital stage.
    It must be remembered that Stephen Ireland was very wrong for what he has done, if it's not then what sort of discipline and focus can we expect, from the media and from the players, if they do go to South Africa?

He doesn't have to go overboard and beg for mercy, but he does need to take the heat himself in front of the press ands get it all out of the way early on so we can focus on the football and qualifying, and not have every player quizzed 24/7 about his return. To be perfectly honest the team have thus far looked like doing qualifying without him. It'd be a hell of a lot easier with him in the ranks, but it's not at any cost.

Either way, it has to end soon. He has already said "I always say 'never say never' because it's hard not to, but I dont think I'll ever go back." If he really doesn't think he wont come back, then he should have the decency to say he wont ever come back, or at the very least that he wont be back for this WC campaign. If he changes his mind then he must explain and apologise for the above remarks and the numerous falsehoods he has peddled to the Irish team, FAI, management and the Irish fans. Simple as.
    Last edited by Jicked; 10/06/2009 at 1:08 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts
    I don't know what all the fuss is about. Trapp plays a very defensive game. I really can's see SI fitting in. Remember he played in midfield against Cyprus away. Man City are great going forward but with SI in central midfield he doesn't offer much protection to the defence. Andrews and Whelan for all their faults are very defensive minded. If they move SI to right side, I don't think JOSH will fancy playing right full.
    Always look on the bright side of life

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    244 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by drummerboy View Post
    If they move SI to right side, I don't think JOSH will fancy playing right full.
    O'Shea plays behind Ronaldo half the time at Manchester United, I'm sure he'll be able to deal with half-hearted tracking back!

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by drummerboy View Post
    I don't know what all the fuss is about. Trapp plays a very defensive game. I really can's see SI fitting in. Remember he played in midfield against Cyprus away. Man City are great going forward but with SI in central midfield he doesn't offer much protection to the defence.
    In fairness to Trap though he was saying that he wanted us to be more confident with the ball. That'd imply a role for Ireland.

I used to think that Ireland's lack of physical presence mitigated against his inclusion in the team. I said it often enough here!

However, looking at how we have played without the ball in recent games it's more about the shape (2 banks of 4 etc.) and organisation than actually snapping at opponents' ankles to get the ball back. We cede possession a lot but opponents have really only got near our goal because of defensive lapses. I don't see why Ireland couldn't do this - he just has to learn the drill & be disciplined in his positioning without the ball.

Watching Andrews with the equally dimunitive Liam Miller at Craven Cottage led me to think that maybe Ireland could be accomodated in the current system. Miller played surprisingly well that night.

Either way, Trap is smart enough to recognise what he wants and what to do with the players we have. I think there's been a change of opinion among fans & media alike: we are making progress, the team is evolving and we're inching closer - albeit precariously - towards qualification.
    Last edited by Stuttgart88; 10/06/2009 at 8:30 AM.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Its Mise Le Meas
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    244 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    Watching Andrews with the equally dimunitive Liam Miller at Craven Cottage led me to think that maybe Ireland could be accomodated in the current system.
    Liam Miller, for all his limitations, is a conventional central midfielder though. He makes short passes, looks to receive the ball (when he's on good form), and takes the ball from defense and moves it through midfield to our attacking players.

He doesn't really make those bursting runs from the centre that Ireland does with City, and thus is in a better position to break up opposing attacks if we give the ball away, because he's not as far forward.

The point I'm trying to make here is that while they are of a similar stature, their style of play is fairly different.

I'm not sure Ireland would have the discipline to be part of a double column of 4 defenders.

Unless the system is changed, I honestly can't see Ireland fitting into the team in any position other than as a winger (or Robbie's position between midfield and attack).