• No

147 26.68%
Page 3 of 212 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast

Thread: Stephen Ireland

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Did anyone here phone Givens up to declare their intention to be included? Worth a try, I guess.
    Ceci n'est pas une signature

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    50 Posts
    Whilst I agree in principal with Givens I really do think he needs to reel himself in a bit....all he had to say was that Ireland wasn't called up because as far as anyone knew he hadn't made himself available again.. I think Givens has a bit of an ego problem, he seems to go running to the nearest camera & microphone as soon as he has something worthy of a soundbyte to spout, fair enough he's in charge but somethings should be conducted in private between the manager & the player not in on the 6 o'clock news or in the morning papers
    You show me a good loser and I'll show you a loser - Vince Lombardi

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eirebhoy View Post
    Because he asked not to be included.
    Did he specifically say he didn't want to be in the squad for the Brazil game?
    Esse Quam Videri

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    So you think its up to the manager to ask SI before every match if this is the game that he feels like playing for Ireland again?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I agree with what Givens said but disagree that he had to say them publicy. The ball is in Stephen Ireland's court, everybody knows including Stephen I bet. That's all he had to say really. Givens got a little carried away with his rant IMO.
    Top Breeders recommend drinkfeckarse....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    17 Posts
    givens stepped over the line, the last word was that SI didn't want to be considered so there should be assumed no change in that situation. no need for a schoolyard rant. frankly i'd imagine that SI is hugely embarrassed over the whole grandmothersgate and might feel it insulting to irish fans if he returned too soon. maybe it's best let him get on with solidifying his club performances from now until the end of the season. his form is too erratic (brilliant goals, disappearing for long stretches, alan smith-style tackles), his relative youth the likely factor. i wish him well, he's an interesting player and character, of that there is no doubt.
    zombie/thread killer..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Morbo View Post
    So you think its up to the manager to ask SI before every match if this is the game that he feels like playing for Ireland again?
    Did he wait by the phone for Damien Duff to tell him he's fit again, or Steven Reid?
    He's the manager (temporary), he should manage.
    As I see it the lad has or had problems and after "granny-gate" he felt he wouldn't be right to play for his country. It's all very tragic what happened and his decision should be respected. In the meantime Stan gets sacked, Given steps in for the Wales match and leaves him out without calling him on the basis that he said no to the previous manager.
    Then he gives us this crap about giving up your right arm for the jersey (it wouldn't fit properly if you did) and expects us all to put on our best patriotic face and call him a traitor.
    As I said earlier, there should be a middle ground. Maybe Bertie could step in and mediate in between tribunal appearances.
    Esse Quam Videri

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts
    I heard the press conference on Newstalk this morning and Givens fell for the gathered Journalists leading line of questioning in relation to Stephen Ireland.

Why is Ireland not included? Did you contact him before the game? He's one of our best players why did you leave him out? etc etc etc.
    Quoting years at random since 1975

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Stan included him in the squad for the games against Germany and Cyprus and look how badly that back fired on him. I think its right that he wasnt selected. Realistically this is not givens problem and isnt an issue he should be dealing with. Its something for the new manager to sort out, which I for one hope he will, we need players like SI.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts
    While Ireland sholdn't have been included for the game and rather be left for the new manager to sort out, Givens hanling of the situation shows just how small-time, and generally awful a manager he is. The entire thing could have been easily diffused with a simple "Obviously Stephen is playing brilliantly at the moment for City, I hope that continues and that the new manager sits down and discusses his future with him." Givens doesn't seem to have a clue about the modern game or how to deal with modern players. Still, at least it's not like he's not being put in charge of the biggest decision in Irish football...

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    SI is a moodey plonker who doent deserve all these comments. I think Givens should be sacked as U21 manager both for his selections and tactics (lack of) but I have to agree with him about Ireland who only plays for Ireland when it suits him.
    I have never understood why people rave about him as he only appears to play for about 5 minutes in all the Irish games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Noelys Guitar View Post
    Why aren't the Journos asking Givens how somone with such an abysmall record with the U/21's is
    A. Still managing the u/21's
    B. The chief amigo involved in selecting our new manager
    C. Selecting and picking teams for senior internationals
    D. Involved in so many public disputes with Irish players including saying yesterday that Stephen Ireland does not want to wear the Green shirt. This is the same Givens who does not want to manage the senior team FT(and yet somehow will be managing the senior team 'again' on Feb 6th)
    Thats a very good question. And why is it the same for almost all other underage managers. How can we expect good underageplayers with managers like that. Obviously he is very good friends with cetain indiduals in the FAI
    The deepest layer of human thinking and feeling somehow knows that God must exist - Pope Benedict XVI

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    The comments were tactless, and frankly, Id expect nothing less from a man who sees no wrong in being simultaneously the Irish u21 boss AND kingmaker in chief of the interview board for a new manager.

His u21 record is abysmal, his media ability similarly poor, his communication skills are rotten, & his instincts are dubious:

Why only include 4 strikers in what is fundamentally a preview squad for the new manager when a 5th Irish striker is currently in a rich vein of goalscoring form, unlike at least 2 of the named forwards chosen?

Was the talented but undeniably injured Andy Reid included for givens to make a dogged point about Stephen Ireland? "Id rather have a crocked , one legged sandwich fancier in my midfield than tha ireland lad!"

Buffoonery. The rate things are going, Givens is in line to be the longest serving International manager that nobody ever appointed.
    On the way into the stadium, an elderly San Marino Steward waved us in and said "Tonight, may the best team win"

And they nearly did.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    91 Posts
    Givens' comments were unprofessional to say the least. He seems to love the media 'spotlight'.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    244 Posts
    If Given was manager for the WCQ 2002 campaign he would have fallen out with Roy Keane before we'd even started our qualifying campaign.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Stephen Ireland may have issues etc but he needs to be the one to make the first move as he has shown no respect for the many irish fans that make many sacrafices to see the team play

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jicked View Post
    .....Givens doesn't seem to have a clue about the modern game or how to deal with modern players....
    How should modern players be dealt with?

You either want to play for your country or you don't. Last word from SI was he didn't feel ready to play. No doubt when he is he will tell someone. Don't see why Givens or anyone else should go chasing after him or any other prima donna.
    Honest! I am not a secret Tim nor a closet Sham - I really am a Seagull.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Denis The Red View Post
    Did he wait by the phone for Damien Duff to tell him he's fit again, or Steven Reid?
    He's the manager (temporary), he should manage.
    I think the situation with Steven Ireland is a vastly different thing. I don't think the injury thing is comparable at all to be honest. They've never made any noises about not wanting to play for Ireland again, their physical condition made it impossible. With Ireland, he doesn't want to play for us (appearantly). But I hope this is sorted out soon. Hopefully Houllier or whoever convinces Ireland and Finnan to resurrect their International Careers.

International Prospect tricky_colour's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    It is up to Ireland to decide whether Ireland plays for Ireland.
    Ireland will just have to accept Ireland's decision.

That is how I see it anyway, it couldn't be simpler.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by finnpark View Post
    Thats a very good question. And why is it the same for almost all other underage managers. How can we expect good underageplayers with managers like that. Obviously he is very good friends with cetain indiduals in the FAI
    If only we had a world class underage manager somewhere in the country idling his time. The sort of guy who could win european championship and get to world championship semi finals. Oh wait.....

Page 3 of 212 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast