Page 56 of 212 FirstFirst ... 646545556575866106156 ... LastLast
Results 1,101 to 1,120 of 4233

Thread: Stephen Ireland

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    17 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilMcD View Post
    That was Shay Given who said that about war by the way.
    yea i know neil i said that in my post.
    zombie/thread killer..

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts
    If Ireland's good form continues, particularly with Man City being so high profile at the moment, I'd imagine it will be inevitable that his non-appearance for the National Team will rear its head from time to time.

I'd imagine the debate in relation to S.Ireland will be inversely proportional to how well we do without him in the short to medium term.
    Quoting years at random since 1975

International Prospect passinginterest's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    424 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post

I'd imagine the debate in relation to S.Ireland will be inversely proportional to how well we do without him in the short to medium term.
    Thank you Pythagoras

Tallaght Stadium Regular

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Hopefully he breaks a leg and does his cruciate in his next game and we wont have to discuss the little trollip any longer.

Edit Hmmm I only half mean it.
    Last edited by kingdomkerry; 08/10/2008 at 1:12 PM.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    I think most 22 years lads are still quiet immature - compound that by the fact that the lad lives in the fake reality that is the lot of a premiership footballer! his decision making would it seems have quiet some way to go!

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts
    Dunne's comments were pretty strong. Doesn't like being asked about Ireland and said we have players in his position who are just as good. That may or may not be the case but the tone of his comments was quite telling.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kingdomkerry View Post
    Hopefully he breaks a leg and does his cruciate in his next game and we wont have to discuss the little trollip any longer.

Edit Hmmm I only half mean it.
    so you only hope he breaks his leg.
    I think I should the parachute, because I'm great.

In fact, I think I should get both parachutes, in case one doesn't work.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Torn-Ado View Post
    so you only hope he breaks his leg.
    No, his other leg

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Brendan 82 View Post
    Dunne's comments were pretty strong. Doesn't like being asked about Ireland and said we have players in his position who are just as good. That may or may not be the case but the tone of his comments was quite telling.

He has been saying stuff on this topic in that tone for a while. I said this earlier on in the thread
    In Trap we trust

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    51 Posts
    So what are SI's reasons for not playing for Ireland?

The slagging by teamates about this hair?

His embaressment of the whole grandmother shenanigans which was brought on all by himself?

His supposed mistreatment by former managers? e.g. (Brian Kerr for not playing in that game in Cork all those years ago)

any others?
    "Jacques Santini...will be greeted in every dugout of the country by "one-nil, one-nil" - Clive Tyldsley, 89th minute of France-England June 13, 2004.
    "Ooooohhhh Nooooooo" Bobby Robson 91st minute.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brendan 82 View Post
    In my opinion dunnie has to say this about other players to build up confidence but anyone who could compare reid or whelan to Ireland on recent performances is deluded, and mcgeady is yet to prove himself in top flight football, ignoring his mediocre performances in the champions league.

But i can see his point it must be very frustrating being questioned about him all the time, but as captain of both club and country what does he expect?

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    848 Posts
    I think Dunnes comments have said all we needed to hear, time to move on
    Its really not that complicated!!!

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    i think at the moment we can do without him - he's playing well becuase he knows it's only a matter of time until city go down the Chelsea route, he's not an outstanding player by any means and dunne was right in his asumption that we have the talent in Mcgeady - as far as i'm concerned the matter should be closed, he's only still very young at the moment living on cloud nine, if he's ever back for us , i wonder would he get the same reception as keane, people callling him a traitor etc , he hasn't done enough in an international jersey to warrant a public outcry, and for that reason he should be left alone, in terms of the stick he has taken in house from the players that's part of growing up - so what.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by third policeman View Post
    No it does not. No more than a man with a broken leg can make a cup of tea but can't run a marathon. Marcus Trescothick was able to carry on playing County Cricket during his depressive illness but could not handle the stress of playing for England. It is pretty obvious that Ireland's decision is not motivated by some idle whim or any lack of patriotoc fervour, but is rooted in personal circumstances and experiences. As much as I would love to see him playing for us, he doesn't actually owe me or anybody else on this site anything, and we therefore have no right to abuse and criticise him as a person.
    Have spent an hour drunkenly browsing this forum when I should be sleeping, and just have to say that this is this probably the most intelligent post I've read tonight. The Stephen in question is a (admittedly mentally distressed) human being, and as such, should have the freedom to decide when and where he wants to ply his craft - just because he's good at his craft doesn't mean he is obligated to use his talents in the service of an organisation he obviously doesn't feel much affection or sense of duty towards. Why this lack of interest on his part exists is his own business and to suggest otherwise is rather fascistic, in my opinion. I think that the posters here who opine that it is a grevious sin for him to neglect his 'duty' as an Irish citizen to utilise his skills for the greater glory of the nation need to take a long hard look at the mental proceses that have led them to that conclusion. More pragmatically, if he doesn't feel comfortable being part of the RoI squad (for WHATEVER reason), then he wouldn't be much use to it anyway.

And, as plenty of previous posters have pointed out, this is the 'Ireland International' sub-forum, NOT the 'Current Ireland International' forum. He has played for Ireland, so this is the appropriate place to talk about him. All this 'close this thread'-type nonsense is frankly infantile - if you don't want to read about Stephen Ireland then why are you even browsing this thread, let alone posting on it?

(Just to clarify, I think Stephen Ireland is a ****, and that Grannygate and that pic of him in his pink'n'black jeep are up there with McAteer's appearance on Podge and Rodge as the funniest things I've ever seen an Ireland international involved with, but that doesn't invalidate any of the above.)
    Last edited by czarner; 08/10/2008 at 6:52 PM. Reason: to throw in some qualifying remarks

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    He may have no respect or duty towards the FAI, but this much maligned body, behaved impeccably during grannygate 1 and the sequel.The private jet and subsequent silence on the whole affair from the governing body, reflected well on them,while at the same time spotlighting the self proclaimed "Daddy Dick".The man is clearly unwell,and I feel he would benefit most, if all discussion in relation to him ceased.I have gone from being embarassed and disappointed, to feeling sorry for him.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by third policeman View Post
    No it does not. No more than a man with a broken leg can make a cup of tea but can't run a marathon. Marcus Trescothick was able to carry on playing County Cricket during his depressive illness but could not handle the stress of playing for England. It is pretty obvious that Ireland's decision is not motivated by some idle whim or any lack of patriotoc fervour, but is rooted in personal circumstances and experiences. As much as I would love to see him playing for us, he doesn't actually owe me or anybody else on this site anything, and we therefore have no right to abuse and criticise him as a person.

Dude, his decision to stay away is his own business but you can't equate Steven Irelands actions as anything like a depressive illness. He's jouvenile, self indulgent and an exhibitionist. That cannot be argued with given his actions and profile, so he hasn't got some crippling mental disorder.

I know he'll need Ireland more than Ireland will need him.
    I pity the fool!.... But suggest ways that he might improve himself.

www.thefastleague.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,629 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dr_peepee View Post
    Dude, his decision to stay away is his own business but you can't equate Steven Irelands actions as anything like a depressive illness. He's jouvenile, self indulgent and an exhibitionist. That cannot be argued with given his actions and profile, so he hasn't got some crippling mental disorder.

I know he'll need Ireland more than Ireland will need him.
    far closer to the truth in my opinion. While its disappointing to lose such a talent for no obvious reason its time to quit talking about the boy and move on. Im (perversely enough) looking forward to him apologising in the future when he needs us and most of the country having no sympathy for him.

Lets focus on the players who are proud to wear the green.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by passinginterest View Post
    Thank you Pythagoras
    I've invented a theorem!!!

Well played, Sir.
    Quoting years at random since 1975

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts
    So a thousand posts in we have had as much confirmation as we're likely to get that Stephen Ireland won't ever play for his country any time in the near future; should this thread really be kept open? It's only going to persist as a circular argument about playing for your country.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Angry

Can we please lock this thread. The guy does not want to play for us and thats it. Its boring the hell out of me and the fact I see this thread about a guy who hasnt a notion of playing for ireland again really annoys me. Lets talk about future talent or the players with the balls and pride to play for ireland. Move the fools thread to some english football thread.